Author Topic: Favourite Aircraft  (Read 67864 times)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Favourite Aircraft
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
My uncle owns a Tiger Moth. In actual fact he owns a small fleet of aeroplanes; he lives in Geraldton Western Australia, and does flights to remote mining/farming communities, and also to the Abrolhos Islands in the Indian Ocean. He's a lucky bastard. Recently he flew over to Sydney from Western Australia in his Tiger Moth to participate in this Southern Hemisphere regatta for the Tiger Moth. They did this Tiger Moth race from Newcastle to Sydney and did the flyover of the Sydney Harbour Bridge etc: about 50 of these little ancient planes.

It took him 6 days or so to fly back to Western Australia in the Tiger Moth due to the fact that the winds are not favourable. It's a crazy little machine: think he said they can't use aero fuel, and has to use some form of normal petrol that you put in a car. He has landed and parked his plane adjacent to petrol stations on roads just so he could fill his plane up. Sounds unlikely, but believe you me there is not much out there in the middle of Australia. He also has this helmet that cost about $5000 US: looks just like Biggles in it.

Here is a picture of the Tiger Moth in action:

And here, I'm pretty sure, is a picture of his machine:

Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2005, 01:15:39 pm »
I´ve flown in one of these,albeit not as a gunship. Something facinating about the Huey.
[img width= height=]http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v23/andyhamnett/huey2.jpg[/img]
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Chris.

• Official Panini Swapper
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2005, 01:26:36 pm »
Got to be this lumberig beast,

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2005, 01:34:20 pm »
For those who don't know what that beast is, it's the Antonov 225 - the world's largest cargo plane. You could fit a Boeing 747-400 without the wings in there.

Is the Airbus 380 the largest now?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2005, 01:35:40 pm »
For those who don't know what that beast is, it's the Antonov 225 - the world's largest cargo plane. You could fit a Boeing 747-400 without the wings in there.

Is the Airbus 380 the largest now?
I think the Antonove is still bigger than the Airbus 380, the Airbus is just the largest passenger plane.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2005, 01:43:32 pm »
Found it here.

Officially, the Antonov-225 is still the largest aircraft in the world.
Passenger-wise I say you're right about the AB380.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline ships-cat

• Kemlynite
  • Life too short not too......
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2005, 01:50:09 pm »
C130 Gunship anyday, has a howitzer sticking out of the side.  Stay high and they'll never know what hit them.  Would of been quite handy in a recent far eastern prison break!

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2005, 01:50:56 pm »
I would love to have a go in the A380, it´s bloody awesome.

Offline Chris.

• Official Panini Swapper
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2005, 01:52:17 pm »
Found it here.

Officially, the Antonov-225 is still the largest aircraft in the world.
Passenger-wise I say you're right about the AB380.

Indeed. Saw a documentry on in a couple of weeks back. Incredible machine.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2005, 01:57:27 pm »
The beast!
[img width= height= alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/andyhamnett/airbus.jpg[/img]

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2005, 03:04:48 pm »
The BAe 146 / Avro RJ is a great plane for flights in Europe.  Four tiny engines, it has to travel at lower flight levels, nice 3x2 seating, great flights.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2005, 03:51:31 pm »
The A380 is an ugly beast.  Why couldn't they have put the cockpit on the second deck to improve the lines a bit instead of basing the design on a guppy!!!

Imagine if you are sitting in the last row on the upper deck.  It will take an hour just to get off the bleeding thing!

The 747 is a much prettier plane

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 03:53:20 pm by Kanonkop »
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2005, 03:58:36 pm »
The prize for the plane that looks the daftest has to go to one of these fine fellows though:

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2005, 03:59:50 pm »
And the designer of this plane was on an acid trip at the very least:

Offline Cookie-7-

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high, there will be a golden sky
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2005, 04:03:57 pm »
The one that got me to Istanbul was my favourite so far :scarf

:champ
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline scouse and proud plc.

• Favourite Song: Eye of the tiger - Survivor. Favourite holiday destination - Siberia. Has a weekend drinking problem.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alright Aldo........
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2005, 04:26:13 pm »
A paper one.

Offline cochyn

• Kopite
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2005, 04:50:41 pm »
This has to be the geekiest thread ever...

Oh, and this bad boy: Blackbird SR-71.

Ultimately, a bonkers project: The fuel alone cost more than vintage French champagne.  :o
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 04:53:10 pm by cochyn »
Oh the heavy water how it enfolds. The salt, the spray, the gorgeous undertow.

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2005, 05:10:45 pm »
Lancaster Bomber:

Aircraft these days have no style, class and charisma, all the old Bombers did from the fFlying Fortress to the Spitfire, all had style. Todays aircraft, especially the fighters are plain and the stealth ones are awful...

Give me the Lancaster or the Spitfire anyday...
"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Offline ships-cat

• Kemlynite
  • Life too short not too......
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2005, 05:12:17 pm »
Civilian airliners are fine, but down in the dust is where it's at!

100 plus "meat bombs" leaving the back at 250 feet or dust strip landings whilst a feckin' large tank exits at rapid knots can't be beaten.

Offline Swoop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2005, 05:15:29 pm »
The best two planes in the world - if only for the view on the way out of the doors ;D

Its a dogs life for me

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2005, 05:18:04 pm »
Eherm, should have searched your own memory banks as well though!!!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=81197.0

;D :wave

Hahaha!! I tried in vein to find that!!!! Anyway, this is running along nicely now so...
R.T.K

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2005, 05:19:46 pm »
This has to be the geekiest thread ever...

Oh, and this bad boy: Blackbird SR-71.

Ultimately, a bonkers project: The fuel alone cost more than vintage French champagne.  :o

I read that if shot with a missile, evasive manoeveur was to just... accelerate. Also, the heat generated from the super speed sorta fuses the titanium bodies together, making it stronger every time the bird takes flight.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2005, 05:22:16 pm »
We're retiring all of the Sea Harriers soon anyway, apparently our Navy will definitely be able to rely on the US to give it air cover in any war we go to until the new big carriers (which haven't even been ordered yet) get launched :butt

We won't have to totally rely on America though. We do have the air force. From what I've hared most of our carriers are around the Afghanistan region. We're supposedly going full scale assult on the Taliban next year you see. Oh shit! Maybe I shouldn't have disclosed that information!
R.T.K

Offline cochyn

• Kopite
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2005, 05:25:23 pm »
Aircraft these days have no style, class and charisma, all the old Bombers did from the fFlying Fortress to the Spitfire, all had style. Todays aircraft, especially the fighters are plain and the stealth ones are awful...

I guess style is just not top of the list of priorities when you're designing a mass-killing machine. ;)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:27:01 pm by cochyn »
Oh the heavy water how it enfolds. The salt, the spray, the gorgeous undertow.

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2005, 05:28:15 pm »
I guess style is just not top of the list of priorities when you're designing a mass-killing machine. ;)

They gave me a nice uniform thank you very much......

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2005, 05:31:12 pm »

Yeah that does tend to be the idea! Put a Blackbird SR 71 aginst any plane from the Battle Of Britain, I know who my money would be on! Style, or no style.
R.T.K

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2005, 05:38:00 pm »
Yeah that does tend to be the idea! Put a Blackbird SR 71 aginst any plane from the Battle Of Britain, I know who my money would be on! Style, or no style.

It's not about that....

Obviously war and technology have changed, so everything will be faster and more powerfull, it has to be. But nothing compares to a fly by at an air show of the old bombers, Spitfires and hurricanes, theres something about them, charisma, and for my grandad, memories......thats what I'm getting at, I'm not sayin they should be re-introduced into service yer nutter...

I'd rather see, go over and fly in a old Bomber than some grey thing what can take off vertically or this giant black thing what looks like a bat....fuckin ugly....

Those bombers are special....and thats why they are my favourite aircraft.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2005, 05:52:54 pm »
It's not about that....

Obviously war and technology have changed, so everything will be faster and more powerfull, it has to be. But nothing compares to a fly by at an air show of the old bombers, Spitfires and hurricanes, theres something about them, charisma, and for my grandad, memories......thats what I'm getting at, I'm not sayin they should be re-introduced into service yer nutter...

I'd rather see, go over and fly in a old Bomber than some grey thing what can take off vertically or this giant black thing what looks like a bat....fuckin ugly....

Those bombers are special....and thats why they are my favourite aircraft.

I know your not saying put them into service! But I don't agree with your air show speech. For me, theres nothing better than the fast fly pasts of the Harriers and Tornado, and theres surely nothing better than watching the Harrier do it's hover, and bow to the crowd. For you it's different.

I think the Blackbird is ugly too. Not a fan of that. Does it actually see much service anyway?
R.T.K

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2005, 05:55:27 pm »
I'm wondering how these will get on. Anyone know what it can do, or when the first ones will be in service?
R.T.K

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2005, 06:24:59 pm »
Each to their own kiddo...each to their own.  ;)

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2005, 06:38:19 pm »
Certainly is.
R.T.K

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2005, 06:51:43 pm »
We won't have to totally rely on America though. We do have the air force. From what I've hared most of our carriers are around the Afghanistan region. We're supposedly going full scale assult on the Taliban next year you see. Oh shit! Maybe I shouldn't have disclosed that information!

What good would the RAF be in the Falklands, where the nearest friendly air base in 2000 miles away?

Of our 3 carriers - HMS Invincible got mothballed a couple of weeks ago, to save money after the latest defence cuts, HMS Ark Royal is in Rosyth waiting for a refit that starts in the new year and HMS Illustrious was still in Portsmouth on the 01/08, the last time her news was updated on the official Royal Navy site.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2005, 07:37:06 pm »

In a battle I would take the spitfire due to the fact it has weapons.  The Blackbird was a spy plane.  Was in the main retired from service in 1999 but they do still fly them I believe if circumstances require it. (there was an occasion when it was required to do a search in the rockies.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2005, 07:44:06 pm »
I was chatting to a blackbird pilot at RAF Fairford – the first display that they showed it and actually admitted that it existed. I was asking him about the speed of them. He told me that he did one flight that took off in Germany – got to the right height over England and landed in California  - in 3 hours!! Beats Ba!

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2005, 07:52:27 pm »

The Saturn 5 rockets which were used in the moon landings. The most powerful machine ever created.

Awesome, and then some...

Oh aye, and NASA have announced they plan to go back to the moon before 2020.

87:13

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2005, 08:54:20 pm »
Magic. I had a sound effects record years ago with it on. Long since disappeared now though.

I had a mate who could do a passable impression of a Merlin... ;D

As promised Barney, check the military thread  :wave
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2005, 09:16:18 pm »
lockheed blackbird. always been something magical about it.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2005, 09:32:11 pm »
In a battle I would take the spitfire due to the fact it has weapons.  The Blackbird was a spy plane.

Ok.

What good would the RAF be in the Falklands, where the nearest friendly air base in 2000 miles away?

Of our 3 carriers - HMS Invincible got mothballed a couple of weeks ago, to save money after the latest defence cuts, HMS Ark Royal is in Rosyth waiting for a refit that starts in the new year and HMS Illustrious was still in Portsmouth on the 01/08, the last time her news was updated on the official Royal Navy site.

Fair point on the Falklands. I'm only saying what I was told by someone in the RAF (That there is to be an assault on the Taliban next year) and so the carriers were still down there somewhere.

Why don't we have an air base on the Falklands anyway?
R.T.K

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2005, 09:37:44 pm »
Fair point on the Falklands. I'm only saying what I was told by someone in the RAF (That there is to be an assault on the Taliban next year) and so the carriers were still down there somewhere.

Why don't we have an air base on the Falklands anyway?

We do, but there are only 4 Tornado F3s based there IIRC, and of course it would be no use if the islands were to be captured again.

There is to be a major NATO offensive in Afghanistan next year (been in most of the papers recently, it's no secret), with Britain taking a leading role as the current head nation of the ARRC (Allied Rapid Reaction Corps). However, whether we will actually have any troops left to send with Iraq still going on (we were relying on scaling down there to provide soldiers for Afghanistan) is another question. We can do without the four infantry battalions that are being closed down though  ::)

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2005, 09:41:44 pm »

As promised Barney, check the military thread  :wave

Wicked Dava. Cheers :D :wave

87:13