Author Topic: Fabio Aurelio  (Read 261611 times)

Offline JamieB

• Legacy Fan
  • Winning isn't important, it's everything
Re: Fabio Aurelio
« Reply #1200 on: February 8, 2009, 01:09:24 pm »
Aurelio was brilliant yesterday and dare I say it, even better in the middle of midfield.
Pass and Move its the Liverpool Groove,
Go Robbie, Go Robbie, Go!

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1201 on: February 8, 2009, 01:11:43 pm »
I have to say i was well impressed with him. Looks much better equipped than as a left back. Very versatile.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #1202 on: February 8, 2009, 01:19:59 pm »
Aurelio was brilliant yesterday and dare I say it, even better in the middle of midfield.

Maybe we don't need Barry?
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1203 on: February 8, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »
Dossena's hardly done anything of that for Liverpool.... yet.

EDIT:
I've just reread your post and you've confused me. He isn't lightning fast, you're talking as if he's Theo Walcott. I don't think I've seen him bursting down the left on the counter for us neither has he nudged that many attackers of the ball. If anything, he gets nudged off the ball more often than them. Now I know you're going to give me the whole 'He's still adapting to the Premier League' which I totally understand and I do hope he does adapt and shows us all what he was capable of at Udinese, but until he actually does, he's not as good as Fabio Aurelio.

What I meant was Aurelio could have done everything Dossena did against Pompey. Dossena didn't exactly provide anything extra for Liverpool did he now? But Aurelio showed his potential to be a good player for us doing well at CM, LM and LB. Like I said at the beginning, I'm not slating Dossena, I just think Aurelio is the better player. Is it so wrong to say that?

Dosenna deceptively quick. Not great acceleration but his top speed is very fast, much much faster than Aurelio. I realise that overall, at this moment, Aurelio is the better player, but I stand by what I said. Aurelio doesn't 'bomb on', he doesn't make overlaps from nothing, it needs a spell of possession for him to get that far up the pitch, tends to be there more later in games where we're camped in the opposition half. Dosenna makes those overlaps from the very first minute of a game.

Re: The strength thing, it's just something I've noticed from Dosenna a lot. Aurelio tackles through positioning and skill but he can sometimes be outmuscled. I've seen Dosenna done a few times for positioning/skill, but very rarely for strength.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Sabu Pundit

• Genius obviously.
  • Main Stander
  • Youth Never Wore Cologne
« Reply #1204 on: February 8, 2009, 01:32:17 pm »
my scouse it was privet lynch (not Kenny) to see it again, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien WRITE SABU PUNDIT. WHo will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as a bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg that should be Cerys. 
Dojo dreams be Tostao blown
Wark on, Wark on
Withe Thorpe injure Park

Offline Xabirules

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1205 on: February 8, 2009, 02:28:51 pm »
Maybe we don't need Barry?

Definitely don't need Barry, we can even wave goodbye to Lucas. 

Never really been a fan of Aurelio's but he definitely stepped up to the plate yesterday.  Good lad. 

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: February 8, 2009, 02:40:25 pm »
Dosenna deceptively quick. Not great acceleration but his top speed is very fast, much much faster than Aurelio. I realise that overall, at this moment, Aurelio is the better player, but I stand by what I said. Aurelio doesn't 'bomb on', he doesn't make overlaps from nothing, it needs a spell of possession for him to get that far up the pitch, tends to be there more later in games where we're camped in the opposition half. Dosenna makes those overlaps from the very first minute of a game.

Re: The strength thing, it's just something I've noticed from Dosenna a lot. Aurelio tackles through positioning and skill but he can sometimes be outmuscled. I've seen Dosenna done a few times for positioning/skill, but very rarely for strength.

Yes they both have their advantages, but in my opinion Aurelio is the better player :).

Still hope that Dossena improves in the future because as you've stated, he does have the ability, he just hasn't hit his top gear in the Premier League yet.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2009, 02:41:59 pm by S7 »
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: February 8, 2009, 03:06:11 pm »
Yes they both have their advantages, but in my opinion Aurelio is the better player :).

Still hope that Dossena improves in the future because as you've stated, he does have the ability, he just hasn't hit his top gear in the Premier League yet.

Oh I agree that, certainly at the moment, Aurelio is a better player and a better defender, just don't agree at all that Aurelio can do everything Dosenna can, regardless of form or talent (though I do think Dosenna is capable of being as good as, or nearly, Aurelio but with fewer injuries). If it were the other way around, with Dosenna having been consisten all season and Aurelio off form I'd say that Dosenna still couldn't do what Aurelio does well (for example good short passing in more central areas, a degree of playmaking even though he's at LB), they're just two different types of players. Dosenna will never run a game from LB, Aurelio will never overlap like Dosenna does, but at the moment absolutely Aurelio is better overall.

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1208 on: February 8, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »
It is pleasant to see both Aurelio and Dossena on the field at the same time, because they both offer something to the team, and neither replicates the other.  Although I wish we had scored earlier against Portsmouth to take the pressure off, despite the stress of the match, it was nice to see both playing further forward and inside, knowing that the three defenders behind them were in control.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: February 8, 2009, 03:45:41 pm »
A great performance from Aurelio yesterday, much prefer seeing him in the middle of the pitch.  Also, Gerrard can fuck off when it comes to free-kicks, he's had a good few years to hone his corners but still he fluffs them 3 times out of 5.  Sorry captain, but you've got to know your limitations, you're not a great set-piece taker.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1210 on: February 8, 2009, 03:47:56 pm »
Mmm.
Bollocks.

His delivery was fantastic tonight.

Did I say it wasn't?

One game doesn't change anything, that too a free kick from inside the area. Anyone can hit the target from there. His delivery is still, mmm, bollocks.

Too many people jumping on the bandwagon here.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: February 8, 2009, 04:14:45 pm »
It is pleasant to see both Aurelio and Dossena on the field at the same time, because they both offer something to the team, and neither replicates the other.  Although I wish we had scored earlier against Portsmouth to take the pressure off, despite the stress of the match, it was nice to see both playing further forward and inside, knowing that the three defenders behind them were in control.

Yep, I think that if needed Aurelio at LW/LM with Dosenna at LB (or vice versa) could possibly be a very good combination, a bit like Riera and Aurelio in that one likes to hug the touchline (Dosenna/Riera) while the other is very comfortable dictating play and cutting inside (Aurelio)

Offline dannymc

• Wannabee RAWK dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • Any spares
« Reply #1212 on: February 8, 2009, 04:19:32 pm »
Left back and put the centre mid brazilian to shame yesterday  :P
If he scores more goals than Torres this season ill change me name to Carol.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #1213 on: February 8, 2009, 04:20:22 pm »
He is classy, but I can't help but thinking, how would Barry be there ?
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: February 8, 2009, 04:24:32 pm »
Left back and put the centre mid brazilian to shame yesterday  :P

No he didn't.

He had one good performance, and looks a good natural replacement for Alonso's attributes, but he wasn't performing at Lucas' level against Newcastle/PSV/Inter last season where he was either tearing teams apart with his passing or bossing a very solid midfield.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #1215 on: February 8, 2009, 04:54:11 pm »
thought he played really well.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #1216 on: February 8, 2009, 06:54:22 pm »
He is classy, but I can't help but thinking, how would Barry be there ?
Strange that because I can't help but not think about Barry. I know he's been linked again (yawn) but honestly, what's the point in getting the Villa utility man? We have Xabi who's now proved what many of us knew - he's simply in a different league to the likes of Barry in CM. And in Fabio we have an excellent LB who can also play LM or even CM with ease, and impress. With Riera another leftie on the wing, and a highly impressive Insua at LB too, I say again, what's the point of Barry? If Rafa moves to buy him again, I think it'll be just to prove a point. And if he pays stupid money (anything over £6-7m considering his contract) then I'll not be happy. Hopefully Villa will get 4th and Barry will want to stay to play CL as was promised.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2009, 06:56:02 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: February 8, 2009, 06:57:31 pm »
Don't think he was that good at center mid. His one footedness didn't let him spread the play. Was brilliant at left back though.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: February 8, 2009, 07:31:25 pm »
Did I say it wasn't?

One game doesn't change anything, that too a free kick from inside the area. Anyone can hit the target from there. His delivery is still, mmm, bollocks.

Too many people jumping on the bandwagon here.

O rly?
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1219 on: February 8, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »
AURELIO HAILS WINNING MENTALITY
Steve Hunter 08 February 2009
   Fabio Aurelio hailed Liverpool's character and fighting spirit after the Reds returned to the top of the Barclays Premier League with a 3-2 win at Portsmouth on Saturday.
Fernando Torres' injury time winner gave Rafael Benitez's side the vital three points, and the Brazilian admitted there was a great feeling in the dressing room after the game.

"It was really important to win and we kept going right until the end," Aurelio told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"The manager made a lot of changes to the team because we had a lot of players who were tired after the FA Cup game against Everton, so everybody tried to do their best.

"We had difficulties during the game but we twice came back and we have to be really pleased with the win.

"I thought we controlled the first half but in the second half it was like the beginning of the season when we were behind and then kept coming back.

"To win a game like this will help us for the rest of the season to keep fighting right until the end.

"It was really important three points, because we have two weeks now before our next game. We have a winning mentality and it gives us a lot of confidence.

"We will keep fighting hard and keep the pressure on Manchester United."

On his superb free-kick Aurelio said: "Portsmouth had every player right in front of the goal but all I tried to do was kick the ball as hard as I could and find a space - fortunately for me the ball went into the net.

"It was a good feeling and I was pleased with the goal because it helped the team go on and get a good result."

The Reds number 12 started the match in central midfield and ended the game at left back, something which he admitted took some getting used to at first.

"It's not my natural position but I did play some games there for Rafa at Valencia," he said.

"I haven't played in the centre of midfield for quite a while and the manager told me on Saturday morning I would be playing there.

"It's always difficult when you haven't played in a position like that for some time but I tried to do the best I could, and I am happy because I could help the team get a great result."

Reflecting on El Nino's last-gasp winner, Aurelio said: "It was an unbelievable goal and a wonderful header from Fernando.

"It was a good cross from Yossi Benayoun with his left foot for the winning goal. We were joking with Yossi in the dressing room about him using his left foot. We were happy he did."

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #1220 on: February 9, 2009, 04:30:51 am »
No he didn't.

He had one good performance, and looks a good natural replacement for Alonso's attributes, but he wasn't performing at Lucas' level against Newcastle/PSV/Inter last season where he was either tearing teams apart with his passing or bossing a very solid midfield.

Don't entirely disagree with your Inter and PSV assessment, but since when have Newcastle had a 'solid midfield'?
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #1221 on: February 9, 2009, 06:00:56 am »
Mr Flabby Whore Alien......   Sabu you're a nutter

;D ;D ;D
Believer

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: February 9, 2009, 06:29:14 am »
I agree with the people saying aurelio's free-kicks are normally shite. But fair play to him, he has been fantastic the last couple of weeks
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: February 9, 2009, 07:17:11 am »
Never been a massive fan of Aurelio, but was really impressed with him on Saturday night.  I thought from set pieces and corners, we looked a lot more dangerous!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #1224 on: February 9, 2009, 07:41:16 am »
On Saturday he was well good
Keeping the faith

Offline Moley

• Virgin, apparently...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice to mole you....I mean meet you
« Reply #1225 on: February 9, 2009, 12:17:45 pm »
He had played centre mid for us once before I remember - who was that against guys?
BETFAIR REFERRAL CODE:  6GRRJ3CQV

Money for me and you!!

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: February 9, 2009, 12:40:07 pm »
He had played centre mid for us once before I remember - who was that against guys?
tottenham away luis garcia's last full game garcia scored 1-0

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #1227 on: February 9, 2009, 01:08:23 pm »
Used to play Centre Mid for Valencia on occasion. Not very often, but it's a position he can play if needs be.
Blank.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1228 on: February 9, 2009, 01:25:20 pm »
exactly plus gerrard has a great head dont know why he is delivering rather than on the end of them

Absolutely man. Plus, good as he is, does Stevie have to take all our corners and free-kicks?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1229 on: February 9, 2009, 01:31:36 pm »
Absolutely man. Plus, good as he is, does Stevie have to take all our corners and free-kicks?

I'd take the corners and free kicks from wide areas off him, tell him to sit on the edge of the box waiting for a clearance to come his way. Our corners are shite so we couldn't do any worse.
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: February 9, 2009, 01:44:30 pm »
I was very impressed with Aurelio on Saturday, more so than I have been previously.  There was certainly potential for Insua to come in as left back and Aurelio to used as cover for both left back and centre mid.  Mind you, it's only one game so we can't really judge him fully can we?

Whilst watching the game I was thinking back and I am sure that either Benitez or Alonso mentioned that Fabio has, in their opinion, the most gifted passing ability in the club at the moment and also strikes the ball the sweetest of the whole team too.  Have I just made that up?  I did a quick search and I couldn't find anything to back myself up but I am sure I remember it!

Cheers.

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #1231 on: February 9, 2009, 01:50:55 pm »
When he signed Rafa said his crossing was as good as, if not better than, Alonso's.
Blank.

Offline kurt85

• Main Stander
« Reply #1232 on: February 9, 2009, 01:54:53 pm »
If he stays fit we have a good 1st choice left back and a very good backup for Alonso

Offline s3am

• Main Stander
    • Rackandopinion
« Reply #1233 on: February 9, 2009, 02:01:20 pm »
IMHO If he's on the pitch he should be taking corners and ball-in-the-box free kicks. Gerrard is one of out few good, aggressive headers of the ball.
aut viam inveniemus aut faciemus

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1234 on: February 9, 2009, 02:08:18 pm »

tottenham away luis garcia's last full game garcia scored 1-0

Is this right? Was on honeymoon so don't remember. He played centre midfield in the 6-3 Carling Cup game with Arsenal didn't he?

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: February 9, 2009, 02:50:14 pm »
IMHO If he's on the pitch he should be taking corners and ball-in-the-box free kicks. Gerrard is one of out few good, aggressive headers of the ball.
Would agree with that.
mines a pint

Offline King Cally

• Main Stander
« Reply #1236 on: February 9, 2009, 03:07:17 pm »
Let's face it, the Doss is boss at getting up and down the flank, has fantastic energy, but he is technically rubbish.

Fabio Aurelio, on the other hand, is tops. What a player. Just wish he wasn't always on the treatment table, he could've become a legend for this football club. Wonderful to watch.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2009, 03:11:53 pm by King Cally »

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: February 9, 2009, 03:10:58 pm »
When he signed Rafa said his crossing was as good as, if not better than, Alonso's.

I think the full quote was to do with passing, not crossing.

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: February 9, 2009, 03:18:50 pm »
I knew there was something about his passing ability but I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere!

Anyway, at times on Saturday he was droping his shoulder and spreading the ball the way Alonso does.  It was only one game but I was impressed.  He needs to be able to pass the ball over his own head with a back heel and get a round of applause from Ballack to fully convince me though!

Offline King Cally

• Main Stander
« Reply #1239 on: February 9, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »
Haha, did Ballack really give him a round of applause for that glorious touch? Missed it. Give 's a link, la.