Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399386 times)

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2240 on: January 4, 2019, 09:23:38 pm »
Play  / Fabinho / Keita more regularly - less Hendo

Give the captaincy to Van Dijk

Kick on

Genius idea - demoralise one of our midfielders and pass the armband to someone who doesn't need it and leads by example anyway.

Van Dijk will be captain at some point but he doesn't need an armband now and whether you like it or not we will need Henderson for the rest of the season. He does a good job on and especially off the pitch as captain.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #2241 on: January 4, 2019, 09:26:58 pm »
Genius idea - demoralise one of our midfielders and pass the armband to someone who doesn't need it and leads by example anyway.

Van Dijk will be captain at some point but he doesn't need an armband now and whether you like it or not we will need Henderson for the rest of the season. He does a good job on and especially off the pitch as captain.

I think he's mature enough to take it.
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #2242 on: January 4, 2019, 09:29:24 pm »
I remember watching an interview with Ranieri talking about the miracle. It was the new year game the season they won the title. Arsenal were lurking around and fancied they could make a go of it. Playing at the Emirates and Arsenal won with a last minute winner. Leicester remained top but were defeated. But Ranieri says it was the moment he first believed they could win the league. Because they went toe to toe with an Arsenal team and only just lost.

I think this can stand for our defeat too. The champions gave every atom they had, stretched themselves, and just beat us. The best they had they threw at us and we're still ahead. We can win this. We can win this.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2243 on: January 4, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
I think he's mature enough to take it.

Small margins mate. You 'think' he might be ok with it. We are going to have a second half of the season to match the first half and you want to take a knock at one of our senior midfielders?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #2244 on: January 4, 2019, 10:07:17 pm »
I remember watching an interview with Ranieri talking about the miracle. It was the new year game the season they won the title. Arsenal were lurking around and fancied they could make a go of it. Playing at the Emirates and Arsenal won with a last minute winner. Leicester remained top but were defeated. But Ranieri says it was the moment he first believed they could win the league. Because they went toe to toe with an Arsenal team and only just lost.

I think this can stand for our defeat too. The champions gave every atom they had, stretched themselves, and just beat us. The best they had they threw at us and we're still ahead. We can win this. We can win this.

yeah, it's something we can definitely do. Leicester went on an unbeaten run after that result (which wasn't New Years', it was February 16th) including bouncing immediately back against Norwich, then drawing against WBA, and then 5 wins on the trot (against Watford, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Southampton and Sunderland) until thew drew with West Ham.

They got somewhat lucky with their fixtures but they made the most of it, and I'm sure we can too.

Then again, they also got "a bit of help" from their close pursuers: Arsenal went inconsistent after that Leicester win (losing against ManUtd and fucking Swansea, then drawing against Spurs and then an unbeaten run that combined 5 wins and 4 draws) and Spurs spursed it after a while (they were going close, then lost against West Ham and drew with Arsenal, and after that came an unbeaten run with 4 wins and 3 draws). So... apart from Leicester seizing the chance, running with it and making sure the gap stayed in place, it also helped that both 2nd and 3rd places lost some pretty surprising points along the way - I mean, by the time Spurs drew with Chelsea (May 2) and gave Leicester the title, the gap had grown to seven points.

I hope ManCity does too.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 10:10:20 pm by Desert Red Fox »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2245 on: January 4, 2019, 10:39:07 pm »
Well I hope the loss makes our boys angry... real angry. Like so angry that every team we play will realize that its not wise to make us angry. Its what could make us champions if it spurs us on to make sure we don't get beaten again
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 10:41:53 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2246 on: January 4, 2019, 11:37:14 pm »
Am fully expecting us to rest a fair few of the first team for Monday. Possibly as many as 7 or 8 then next weekend will be the start of another winning run in the league.

Hang on to your hats lads and lasses. This is gonna be some ride but we got this!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2247 on: January 5, 2019, 12:13:59 am »
Seen a few city lot trying to ramp up the pressure on us..

Keep the comments coming lads.
We'll do what we do, game by game...i do like what i hear from our lads
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2248 on: January 5, 2019, 12:16:59 am »
Well I hope the loss makes our boys angry... real angry. Like so angry that every team we play will realize that its not wise to make us angry. Its what could make us champions if it spurs us on to make sure we don't get beaten again

There’s a pic doing the rounds of silva and aguero eyeing up mo at the full time whistle. They look concerned by his expression. Mo Salah is not fucking around this year and neither are most of the team. Win the next 10 and we will run away with it.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2019, 12:54:03 am by M7 Heckler »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2249 on: January 5, 2019, 12:36:41 am »
Seen a few city lot trying to ramp up the pressure on us..

Keep the comments coming lads.
We'll do what we do, game by game...i do like what i hear from our lads

That's the key. It's also exactly how we used to go about things in our heyday.

Let others do the talking. Let them mouth off.
We just need to concentrate fully on one game at a time and do what we have been doing. We need to do all our talking on the pitch and leave the gobbing off to everyone else.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2250 on: January 5, 2019, 01:54:14 am »
The lads sound confident and fully focused, as does the manager. Can't wait to see our reaction against Brighton

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2251 on: January 5, 2019, 11:20:31 am »
I had thought before the city game that we were likely to get beaten, simply because city couldn't afford to lose and the ref selection ☺

It didn't bother me too much because my thoughts were that the title will be decided by how we react to this defeat. This is now the true test of this team and will be when we find out if this time will be different.

City will get a massive boost from the win, and they now have de bruyne, Silva, and fernandinho all back. I can't see them losing anymore games.

The next month or so is massive for us and klopp will have to make sure that our prep is absolutely spot on. We will now see how the team react and whether we have what it takes for a league title.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2252 on: January 5, 2019, 12:19:39 pm »
I always felt we would get beaten but didn't post for fear of jinxing us. I think teams that know what they have to do compared to teams with something to hold on to nearly always up their game, whilst the latter team is caught in two minds.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2253 on: January 5, 2019, 12:20:52 pm »
City will drop points, they aren't going unbeaten for the remainder of the season.

So take each game as it comes.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2254 on: January 5, 2019, 12:34:02 pm »
City will drop points, they aren't going unbeaten for the remainder of the season.

If they did they would be deserved winners. From our point of view, we need to match or better their results week in week out. We do that and even if they win their remaining 17 games we'll still be champions.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #2255 on: January 5, 2019, 01:00:51 pm »
I think City have the best squad, we just have to regroup and win at Brighton to get back on track.
They have done it before so it will be a real test for us, they also have the momentum after the other night, bouncing back in the next game is vital.

Both of us have tough games and will drop points. We need to keep our key players fit and just hope we ae good enough.

When I saw our midfield I wasn't overly confident on thursday, Fabinho should have played, team selection will be important.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2019, 01:02:26 pm by Frank Becton »
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2256 on: January 5, 2019, 01:07:28 pm »
I think there are some factors a little in our favor;
1. Keita, Fabinho and Shaq are going to be relatively fresh for the run in because they have been slowly introduced to the side.
2. Will Ox be a breath of fresh air in the final two months of the season?
3. Gomez and Matip to return in a few weeks.
4. We have Sturridge in reserve, pretty much everyone has written him off but he remains a superb striker.
5. City can no longer directly affect our points/GD tally. They can put us under pressure but we don't face them again in the league.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2257 on: January 5, 2019, 01:39:31 pm »
Don't count on Ox, that's unreasonable for us to depend on him in any way shape or form this season. He'll be lucky if he gets a run out for a few minutes let alone to play an actual part in the remainder of the season.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2258 on: January 5, 2019, 02:02:10 pm »
It was inevitable that we lose and just because it was City, it should not harm our overall chances of winning the title as long as we respond correctly. The ball is in our court, most of the teams we play from here on will rarely outwork or outplay us and as long as we give it our best then there will be no complaints. At this stage we have a 17 game schedule with already 4 points more in the bag than anyone else. Its an ideal situation to be in so just break the season down to reachable goals...next game, end of Jan, Feb etc and take it from there. We should be loving the chase and the pressure that goes with it as since they were boys, our players have dreamed of scoring the goal that wins the title.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #2259 on: January 5, 2019, 05:55:15 pm »

They dropped 12 in the second half of last season if I recall. Do the same this season and they end up with 89 points. Needed late winners in a few games and had no pressure to speak of. Pep's teams don't always do as well second half of the season as first so there is no 'guarantee' that they will make 95 points as some are suggesting.

Also, we have taken 7 more points in 19 games against the rest of the league than City; that suggests we are a more versatile and consistent team.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2260 on: January 5, 2019, 06:13:03 pm »
Pep's teams don't always do as well second half of the season as first so there is no 'guarantee' that they will make 95 points as some are suggesting.
The expectation at the start of this season was also that City would be too good for any challengers, building up a sizeable lead so that they could focus on the Champions League late in the season, given that that's the owners' goal and Guardiola hasn't won it since 2011. Losing three games in December and having to chase us wasn't in the plan.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #2261 on: January 5, 2019, 07:47:51 pm »
I wonder how many of our players will observe Ramadan this year fasting in the week before the game against Wolves. And it's going to get worse with Ramadan every coming year, as Ramadan moves back about 10-12 days every year.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2262 on: January 5, 2019, 07:49:04 pm »
Brighton games going to tell us a lot isnt it? Steam roll them and I think all that momentum City gained from the 2-1 will be lost instantly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2263 on: January 5, 2019, 08:38:09 pm »
I wonder how many of our players will observe Ramadan this year fasting in the week before the game against Wolves. And it's going to get worse with Ramadan every coming year, as Ramadan moves back about 10-12 days every year.

Here we go again hahahah

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #2264 on: January 5, 2019, 08:43:30 pm »
I am not forgetting that two of Cities' players were competing to get off the pitch when it came time for Guardiola to make a substitution, Aguero and Kompany, both blowing smoke out their arses. That is a very rare thing from our side. The type of conditioning that we practice is seemingly uncommon amongst other premier league teams. I will be amazed if there is no tailing off from city.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2265 on: January 5, 2019, 08:48:03 pm »
I am not forgetting that two of Cities' players were competing to get off the pitch when it came time for Guardiola to make a substitution, Aguero and Kompany, both blowing smoke out their arses. That is a very rare thing from our side. The type of conditioning that we practice is seemingly uncommon amongst other premier league teams. I will be amazed if there is no tailing off from city.

but but but Klopps training causes major injury issues though, the twitter doctor said it

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2266 on: January 5, 2019, 08:54:34 pm »
7 wins in a row.
A draw.
5 wins in a row.
A draw.
3 wins in a row.

That could be enough, even if city win every single game. That's an incredible position to be in.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2267 on: January 5, 2019, 08:56:45 pm »
We’re all right...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2268 on: January 5, 2019, 09:00:05 pm »
7 wins in a row.
A draw.
5 wins in a row.
A draw.
3 wins in a row.

That could be enough, even if city win every single game. That's an incredible position to be in.

Extrapolated over a full season that would be just shy of 105 points though.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2269 on: January 5, 2019, 09:03:10 pm »

Get on board mother fucker.  ;D
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2270 on: January 5, 2019, 09:06:18 pm »
Get on board mother fucker.  ;D

Too right! Doable but tricky

We’ve had our four toughest games on paper
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2271 on: January 5, 2019, 09:06:19 pm »

Probably just the Muslim ones I'd guess?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2272 on: January 5, 2019, 09:12:12 pm »
Off the top of my head, that'll be Salah, Mane, Shaqiri and Keita. It's just the last two games of the season but as mentioned, Ramadan moves forward 12 days every year so it's going to be a much bigger factor from next season.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2273 on: January 5, 2019, 09:19:24 pm »
Off the top of my head, that'll be Salah, Mane, Shaqiri and Keita. It's just the last two games of the season but as mentioned, Ramadan moves forward 12 days every year so it's going to be a much bigger factor from next season.

Wouldn’t have thought so, pretty much all the top clubs have got a few Muslim players.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2274 on: January 5, 2019, 09:25:40 pm »

And? Give Klopp a little credit, please.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2275 on: January 5, 2019, 09:27:39 pm »

Can somebody just scribble some amendments in their Quran or something? Or better still, hack their calendars.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2276 on: January 5, 2019, 09:29:33 pm »
And? Give Klopp a little credit, please.

Sarcasm the lowest form of wit.  ;)
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2277 on: January 5, 2019, 09:43:59 pm »

It's permissible to break your fast if you are travelling so hopefully our games are all away from home  ;D

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: January 5, 2019, 09:57:01 pm »
Not buying this line that City have the momentum. Our last 10 league games have been WWWWWWWWWL theirs has been WWWWLWLLWW
If momentum is based on anything more than 1 or 2 games, its us that has it not them

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2279 on: January 5, 2019, 10:04:32 pm »
Not buying this line that City have the momentum. Our last 10 league games have been WWWWWWWWWL theirs has been WWWWLWLLWW
If momentum is based on anything more than 1 or 2 games, its us that has it not them

I’m getting a.....

vibe from the City game

That was everything they’ve got. Forget De Bruyne being injured or whatever, doesn’t matter. That was them at their most desperate, hardest tackling, diving and nastiest. They abandoned their own style of play, they got ‘out possessioned’, they relied massively on the three oldest players in their squad and the golden egg looked as desperate as he ever has on the touch line. They showed us everything they’ve got, and it barely left a mark.

The media of course will try and build it up into a season defining moment. That’ll dissipate in a few weeks when they drop more points.