Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 450814 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #2120 on: June 28, 2020, 08:29:16 am »
That TNT belt might be the ugliest ever. It looks like half of it was cross stitched. I'm also quite sure AEW put Janela and Sonny Kiss together just to troll Cornette.

It's not finished, I guess whoever they use for belt detailing is currently closed still? After winning it Cody said he kind of lieks the design so it might be a while before they actually do finish it.

It's not an official picture but somebody 'filled in' what they think might be missing:

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2121 on: June 28, 2020, 11:55:26 pm »
I am sure a lot of people contacted it twice. The majority contact it once but not uncommon to contact it again, it is not the chicken pox.

Covid-19? Not sure you're correct there.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #2122 on: June 29, 2020, 11:59:39 am »
How can i watch all the undertaker series? think ive seen the first 3

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2123 on: June 29, 2020, 12:14:16 pm »
wasnt pablo dybala supposed to have got it FOUR times?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2124 on: June 29, 2020, 07:57:55 pm »
How can i watch all the undertaker series? think ive seen the first 3
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #2125 on: June 29, 2020, 10:55:26 pm »
wasnt pablo dybala supposed to have got it FOUR times?

I think he tested positive a lot of times but presumably he just didn't get over it very fast.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #2127 on: July 3, 2020, 09:39:53 pm »
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

How do you play videos on that site? For the life of me cannot see it  :o
JFT97

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2128 on: July 3, 2020, 11:36:21 pm »
I know people who got it twice, two months apart.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2129 on: July 4, 2020, 03:57:13 pm »
I know people who got it twice, two months apart.

What does "get it" mean though? Show symptoms or be tested positive? Q

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2130 on: July 5, 2020, 02:59:52 pm »
I'll read about wrestling, and I'll watch some classic stuff, but I genuinely don't give much of a shit about wrestling anymore.  It's something I've watched on and off for the best part of 30 years, but this is the most disinterested about the product I am.  I'm a storyline-driven person so the in-ring isn't massively important if the story hasn't grasped my interest, but none of it is seemingly holding my attention.  None of the characters appeal on any of the shows, the way that the whole industry seems riddled with absolute idiots is disheartening, and I know it's out of their hands but the lack of crowds hurts it.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2131 on: July 5, 2020, 03:15:22 pm »
Had a few family issues so late to the thread after part 1 of Fyter Fest, it was an okay show, I guess thinking of it as the first half of a card helps. MJF/Wardlow losing through Wardlow being pinned after an 'accident' was the most predictable end of the night but it was still a good match, Shida/Ford was much better than expected. I didn't think that much of Cody/Hager, but that's more that I don't see anything to enjoy about Hager in general, and haven't enjoyed his two title shots just coming out of nowhere with no real build up.

Not much to be said about the other matches other than I was surprised to see Santana & Ortiz lose, they're an excellent team and if their faction is going to be sidelined for a bit they can ceraintly be doing more in the tag division than losing to Private Party (who I do really like). Part 2's Bucks/FTR match would look a lot stronger with Santana & Ortiz in there rather than Butcher and Blade.

Main event was Best Friends falling short of winning the tag belts, which was a real shame. Entrance of the year was them getting dropped off by Trent's mum in a minivan though...

Lastly Jericho once again shining on commentary and him getting increasingly irate at the 'just sitting there, doing nothing' Orange Cassidy was a great moment. With Mox/Cage delayed a week it's a tough call as to what you'd make the main event for part 2, either Jericho/Cassidy or the 8 man match I guess, although they do now have another tag title match booked with Private Party challenging.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2020, 03:21:25 pm by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #2132 on: July 5, 2020, 10:36:19 pm »
How do you play videos on that site? For the life of me cannot see it  :o

click the dailymotion button

edit : oh, not working for me either, usually goes to the dailymotion site with it on

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7uh36m thats episode 4, links to others under it and so on
« Last Edit: July 5, 2020, 10:41:02 pm by LiamG »

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #2133 on: July 5, 2020, 11:42:05 pm »
click the dailymotion button

edit : oh, not working for me either, usually goes to the dailymotion site with it on

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7uh36m thats episode 4, links to others under it and so on

Nice one, thank you. Had seen the first episode then my free month expired.
JFT97

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2134 on: July 6, 2020, 05:56:35 pm »
I'll read about wrestling, and I'll watch some classic stuff, but I genuinely don't give much of a shit about wrestling anymore.  It's something I've watched on and off for the best part of 30 years, but this is the most disinterested about the product I am.  I'm a storyline-driven person so the in-ring isn't massively important if the story hasn't grasped my interest, but none of it is seemingly holding my attention.  None of the characters appeal on any of the shows, the way that the whole industry seems riddled with absolute idiots is disheartening, and I know it's out of their hands but the lack of crowds hurts it.

When I used to post similar stuff to this about enjoying classic Dr Who far more than the new stuff on the BBC, people would tell me to stop overanalysing mindless popcorn fluff TV for kids. But in this thread, the majority of people apparently just want to wallow in nostalgia about the awesome eras of wrestling they enjoyed as kids (or current backstage scandals) and have little interest in discussing ongoing weekly episodes.

I guess the difference is I was still watching new content in the hope I'd get that same enjoyment (see also: Star Wars, Star Trek).

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2135 on: July 7, 2020, 06:45:11 am »
When I used to post similar stuff to this about enjoying classic Dr Who far more than the new stuff on the BBC, people would tell me to stop overanalysing mindless popcorn fluff TV for kids. But in this thread, the majority of people apparently just want to wallow in nostalgia about the awesome eras of wrestling they enjoyed as kids (or current backstage scandals) and have little interest in discussing ongoing weekly episodes.

I guess the difference is I was still watching new content in the hope I'd get that same enjoyment (see also: Star Wars, Star Trek).
I will be honest, the Attitude Era stuff hasn't aged well at all and I get bored of watching some of the best rated episodes of RAW from 1998 or 1999 far quicker than a current episode of AEW or NXT. When I had the network, I would still enjoy a random episode from 2000-2004 but again, there is a lot of stuff that I just cringe at, that we all know off and these angles ran for weeks and were just trash TV at its worst.

I guess the farther away we get from this time period, the more it is viewed with more rose tainted glasses.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2136 on: July 7, 2020, 06:56:46 am »
I will be honest, the Attitude Era stuff hasn't aged well at all and I get bored of watching some of the best rated episodes of RAW from 1998 or 1999 far quicker than a current episode of AEW or NXT. When I had the network, I would still enjoy a random episode from 2000-2004 but again, there is a lot of stuff that I just cringe at, that we all know off and these angles ran for weeks and were just trash TV at its worst.

I guess the farther away we get from this time period, the more it is viewed with more rose tainted glasses.

On the contrary, I think it holds up best. Not so much that 98ish period, but the 99-01 run is just good stuff. 2000 in particular, when the top of the card is filled up with very good wrestlers and elite characters.

Certainly beats the formulaic "trying to get crossover appeal as a meme or gif" wrestling of today.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2137 on: July 7, 2020, 08:20:10 am »

To be fair it's hard to discuss weekly episodes when near enough every one is near identical these days. The same matches repeated in that same dead arena for Raw and Smackdown.

NXT and AEW are different but I just dislike NXT and the characters, other than Keith Lee and Io Shirai, and AEW I do really like, but just haven't kept up with the last couple weeks.

Things are slowly coming back for me though. New Japan are having shows again, and it looks like EVIL will win the NJ Cup; to be honest I don't care much for him but it's good to have shows back, and they actually really work in empty arena's.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2138 on: July 7, 2020, 08:27:28 am »
On the contrary, I think it holds up best. Not so much that 98ish period, but the 99-01 run is just good stuff. 2000 in particular, when the top of the card is filled up with very good wrestlers and elite characters.

Certainly beats the formulaic "trying to get crossover appeal as a meme or gif" wrestling of today.

Thats the thing the top of the card holds up, but still with some of the usual WWE bullshit we see today,  but not as much. The stars were big enough to take it.

Like The Rock lost a lot more than anyone remembers, but he was a mega star so was never hurt. HHH went over with his move in the middle of the ring for heat a lot more than one remembers, but the face's were stars so it didn't hurt them.

The midcard is largely dated and just bad. The stars that are there were not treated as well as one remembers (like the Tag Team division was booked like fucking shit back then, which is really surprising given how over the teams were). A lot of the stuff was just massively offensive for today as well, which is understandable given the time difference but still.

Imho some of it holds up really well, but other parts not so much.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2139 on: July 7, 2020, 08:33:28 am »
The difference between then and now was that it was actually entertaining. They’ve just completely ran out of ideas so have to rehash a lot of stuff from before, except they haven’t got the stars to make it entertaining again.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2140 on: July 7, 2020, 08:34:56 am »
Thats the thing the top of the card holds up, but still with some of the usual WWE bullshit we see today,  but not as much. The stars were big enough to take it.

Like The Rock lost a lot more than anyone remembers, but he was a mega star so was never hurt. HHH went over with his move in the middle of the ring for heat a lot more than one remembers, but the face's were stars so it didn't hurt them.

The midcard is largely dated and just bad. The stars that are there were not treated as well as one remembers (like the Tag Team division was booked like fucking shit back then, which is really surprising given how over the teams were). A lot of the stuff was just massively offensive for today as well, which is understandable given the time difference but still.

Imho some of it holds up really well, but other parts not so much.

How was the tag division booked like shit!?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2141 on: July 7, 2020, 11:12:44 am »
How was the tag division booked like shit!?

The tag champs were often treated like jokes getting beat in minutes by bigger stars, a lot more than you remember. Title reigns lasted very short periods, hence why Edge and Christian had so many reigns, they lost the title's pretty quickly.

The big PPV's they had a chance to shine but week to week tag teams were not particularly well used. It's something that is somewhat noticeable when you look back. It's again a case of the people carrying it not the booking, you do that type of booking to todays tag teams, and no one care about them. We know this because that is in fact what they are doing.

The difference between then and now was that it was actually entertaining. They’ve just completely ran out of ideas so have to rehash a lot of stuff from before, except they haven’t got the stars to make it entertaining again.

Pretty much. I heard a comment that the Rock being such a star is a bit of a curse because they do the same booking he had with every top face, except no one is anywhere close to the star the Rock was, so it never works the same, and it makes your faces look like idiots

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2142 on: July 7, 2020, 11:33:13 am »
The tag champs were often treated like jokes getting beat in minutes by bigger stars, a lot more than you remember. Title reigns lasted very short periods, hence why Edge and Christian had so many reigns, they lost the title's pretty quickly.

The big PPV's they had a chance to shine but week to week tag teams were not particularly well used. It's something that is somewhat noticeable when you look back. It's again a case of the people carrying it not the booking, you do that type of booking to todays tag teams, and no one care about them. We know this because that is in fact what they are doing.

Pretty much. I heard a comment that the Rock being such a star is a bit of a curse because they do the same booking he had with every top face, except no one is anywhere close to the star the Rock was, so it never works the same, and it makes your faces look like idiots
Yup, they won the titles in Mania 17 and lost them on the second Smackdown after Mania to Taker & Kane in a complete throwaway match.

And like you said, the segments involving main event stars were really good, the midcard stuff doesn't nearly stand the test of time at all and it was really only entertaining because the stars were more over so bad stuff generally looked better. I challenge anyone to go watch the "This is your Life" segment and tell me they are entertained with it, it is just that Rock and Foley were gods on the mic, that people found it entertaining back then.

At least from 2002-04, the midcard had very strong matches and the storylines hold better, (the midcard in the Attitude Era was garbage till 2000 when they signed Jericho, Angle, Benoit, Guerrero and had E&C, Hardyz and Dudleyz for the tag team)yet you still have some RAWs, Smackdowns and PPVs that were absolute stinkers and some storlyines like Al Wilson and Dawn Marie or Katie Vick or HLA, these were downright horrible and didn't age well at all.

The reason why I like AEW is that at least they try to be different and with their win/loss record, at least it makes it easy to build feuds especially without trying the whole dated authority figure storyline. NXT is very good wrestling wise, but I feel they have been hotshoting their storylines to respond to AEW's rating success and it worked for them two weeks in a row but I don't think it is sustainable. Neither has been helped by the pandemic and the absence of audience in the crowd. Meanwhile RAW & SD are just unwatchable right now and only target a 70 year old, out of touch man. I can barely watch 10 minutes before turning them off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2143 on: July 7, 2020, 11:36:06 am »
Wasn’t one of AEWs biggest storylines so far about a dark faction who had a mysterious ‘higher power’ which turned out to be Luke Harper, who has since been doing a Vince McMahon impression?

And they had Mike Tyson involved as special referee for when one of their biggest faces won the title....?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2144 on: July 7, 2020, 02:01:14 pm »

Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, and probably thousands of other things that generations of internet users remember from when they were kids say "hi".

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2145 on: July 7, 2020, 02:08:55 pm »
Wasn’t one of AEWs biggest storylines so far about a dark faction who had a mysterious ‘higher power’ which turned out to be Luke Harper, who has since been doing a Vince McMahon impression?

And they had Mike Tyson involved as special referee for when one of their biggest faces won the title....?

Tyson wasn't a referee, he was there to present to belt to the winner. I wasn't a fan of the segment overall though as I have no interest in 'real' fighting. Him and a posse rushing out to confront Jericho next episode was apparently popular but nothing I care about.

And I don't know that I'd call the Dark Order one of the biggest storylines, it's been pretty high profile because of how originally it failed to land with viewers, and then they've sort of gone away and rethought it a couple of times to where it is now. I think 'Exalted One' was a terrible choice of name for the leader as they were moving away from 'Spooky Perverts' towards 'Sports Scientology' at the time and it didn't really fit. From what I've read the Vince impression was stuff they used to fill time on the Dynamite shows to delay storylines during lockdown and since more of the roster has returned it's been much less of a thing, but as I don't know what they impression actually was I couldn't say myself.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2146 on: July 7, 2020, 03:21:27 pm »
They've been slowly dropping the Dark Order stuff down the card, it was never a main event storyline but they're trying to recruit Colt Cabana these days, that's midcard at best.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2147 on: July 7, 2020, 03:31:28 pm »

Absolutely disagree with that. That reads like you're projecting how you think a tag division should be booked over the hottest era for tag team wrestling in history.

There's nothing wrong with belts changing hands often, it's become some sort of weird groupthink that everyone thinks it devalues a belt or the holder if the reign isn't a long one, but it's quite the opposite - it shows that that division has guys that can beat each other on any given night.

The outcome is what determines success - those teams were over as fuck, and as a result 5/6 of the big three in 2000 ended up holding world titles (you can asterisk Matt and Bubba if you must). Pretty great considering they were treated like jokes.

They've been slowly dropping the Dark Order stuff down the card, it was never a main event storyline but they're trying to recruit Colt Cabana these days, that's midcard at best.

Sounds like Like Harper isn't a main event talent after all  8)

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2148 on: July 7, 2020, 03:38:24 pm »
Sounds like Like Harper isn't a main event talent after all  8)

I never really got the fuss with him, probably because I didn't see him when he was tearing it up on the indies.  He at least works like a big man though, compared to Luchasaurus and Wardlow, who were bouncing around all over the place.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2149 on: July 7, 2020, 03:52:16 pm »
I never really got the fuss with him, probably because I didn't see him when he was tearing it up on the indies.  He at least works like a big man though, compared to Luchasaurus and Wardlow, who were bouncing around all over the place.

At first I fully subscribed to the idea that anyone could be a main event star. Guys like Christian and Matt Hardy leaving WWE and going elsewhere and proving themselves made a lot of sense.

But recently it's just anyone and everyone and there's no logic behind it. For sure someone like Rusev or Ambrose can do better elsewhere, but the rest of them? I don't see it.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2150 on: July 7, 2020, 03:58:16 pm »
At first I fully subscribed to the idea that anyone could be a main event star. Guys like Christian and Matt Hardy leaving WWE and going elsewhere and proving themselves made a lot of sense.

But recently it's just anyone and everyone and there's no logic behind it. For sure someone like Rusev or Ambrose can do better elsewhere, but the rest of them? I don't see it.

I think it's a bit of both, someone like Cesaro would do really well in a promotion like AEW, but he wouldn't be a headliner there.  Some wrestlers just aren't main event material.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2151 on: July 7, 2020, 04:19:37 pm »
I think it's a bit of both, someone like Cesaro would do really well in a promotion like AEW, but he wouldn't be a headliner there.  Some wrestlers just aren't main event material.

Agree on both. Cesaro is a great example of a guy who has everything but that it factor to become a star.

Which is a shame because he's actually a funny, interesting guy off camera too

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2152 on: July 7, 2020, 05:37:39 pm »
https://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/eye-for-an-eye-match-wwe-extreme-rules-mysterio/

The Horror Show at Extreme Rules added a new level of terror as Rey Mysterio and Seth Rollins will meet in an Eye for an Eye Match. Mysterio teamed with Kevin Owens to defeat Rollins & Murphy for the right to choose the gory stipulation where a winner can only determined by extracting the opponent’s eye.

lolwut

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2153 on: July 7, 2020, 05:39:06 pm »
That’s um....not genius

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2154 on: July 7, 2020, 08:08:41 pm »
Seth will eat someones eye ball.  ;D

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2155 on: July 7, 2020, 11:23:00 pm »
Eye didn't see that one coming

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2156 on: July 8, 2020, 07:13:37 am »
Eye carumba
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #2157 on: July 8, 2020, 10:28:21 am »
Haha what the hell.

Eye genuinely cant wait to see what shit they do to book this.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #2158 on: July 8, 2020, 10:39:05 am »
That's some Naruto shit

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2159 on: July 10, 2020, 03:32:15 pm »
Apparently they are gonna use CGI to show an eye being extracted   ;D