Author Topic: Community (NBC)  (Read 72428 times)

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Community (NBC)
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2011, 01:38:53 am »
Catching up on the episodes I've missed. Chang popping out of the ventilation duct and screaming like a dinosaur was very funny.

Abed's Birthday episode was excellent, more of a character piece but it was so well done, quite moving I thought, and I feel like they've earned that type of episode. It also felt like a thinly veiled "fuck you!" to the critics who don't like their parody episodes and general nerdy tone. I really didn't see the 'My Dinner with Andre' reveal coming.

Danny Pudi is a surprisingly great actor, the Cougar Town monologue was remarkable and it was directed by Richard Ayoade!

Oh, and Pierce in the Pulp Fiction gimp suit  :lmao

www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2011, 11:55:59 am »
"...and Pierce refused to drink the Pinot Noir because he thought it was French for 'Black Penis'"

hahahaaaaaaa

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2011, 01:43:35 pm »
First off Pop Pop!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2011, 09:51:03 pm »
How good was the fake clip show episode? Just brilliant and anther brilliantly observed piss take of sitcoms, very meta-meta-meta! I just read it aired in the US on the same night as 30 Rock doing their 100th episode clip show... a straight faced clip show. This show blows it out of the water.

I seriously cannot believe how good this show is. The montages set to "Gravity" were the highlight to me, especially Pierce looking really pissed off with the rampaging robot while dressed as a hotdog. And then they capped it off by the monkey repeatedly beating Chang. I absolutely lost it when that music kicked in a third time.

So many great little touches, my favorite was while in the haunted house during Jeff's speech montage, there is a Civil War ghost version of Pierce standing in the background.

The editing of Jeff's climactic multi-speech was just a thing of beauty.  How it had a rhythm and crescendo even as it made less and less sense.  From metaphorical ghosts to metaphorical bedbugs to "the only truth is in water" to "THAT WATER IS A LIE" to the dangers of ingesting mercury to a "train that runs on us" to "no such thing as a free Caesar salad"

And finally, Pierce sitting on top of a book shelf injecting himself with loads of flu-vaccines needles:

"I'll be a LIVING GOD!!!"

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:22 pm »
How good was the fake clip show episode? Just brilliant and anther brilliantly observed piss take of sitcoms, very meta-meta-meta! I just read it aired in the US on the same night as 30 Rock doing their 100th episode clip show... a straight faced clip show. This show blows it out of the water.

I seriously cannot believe how good this show is. The montages set to "Gravity" were the highlight to me, especially Pierce looking really pissed off with the rampaging robot while dressed as a hotdog. And then they capped it off by the monkey repeatedly beating Chang. I absolutely lost it when that music kicked in a third time.

So many great little touches, my favorite was while in the haunted house during Jeff's speech montage, there is a Civil War ghost version of Pierce standing in the background.

The editing of Jeff's climactic multi-speech was just a thing of beauty.  How it had a rhythm and crescendo even as it made less and less sense.  From metaphorical ghosts to metaphorical bedbugs to "the only truth is in water" to "THAT WATER IS A LIE" to the dangers of ingesting mercury to a "train that runs on us" to "no such thing as a free Caesar salad"

And finally, Pierce sitting on top of a book shelf injecting himself with loads of flu-vaccines needles:

"I'll be a LIVING GOD!!!"
Yes it was a very very good episode. The speech was indeed genius.

Will they actually go back and make the episodes that didn't actually exist. St Patrick's day, etc.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2011, 12:44:04 pm »

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2011, 03:43:37 pm »
The best comedy around at the minute without a doubt. Gutted that series 2 is over but at least there's another series in September, apparantley it's doing very badly in the ratings in The States so we're lucky it's being kept on.

The last episode was another classic and some of the 'death' scenes were hilarious. I really like how they've started using the side characters more and more too, just gives the show so much more scope and gives them a lot more options for series 3.

Such a pity that no-one has seen this or even knows that it exists.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2011, 04:53:29 pm »
Glee club http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ww9Q_hFbec
Apparently (it says in the comments), that's one of Donald Glover's (Troy) songs.
Has anyone checked out any of his music?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2011, 06:44:14 pm »
Hahaha, it was actually true!

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/05/26/danny-pudi-abed-from-community-on-cougar-town-video/

He even shit his pants at the end...

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2011, 07:27:40 pm »
Just started the first episode of this seeing as people seem to like it

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:07 pm »
Just started the first episode of this seeing as people seem to like it

First few episodes are pretty bad... Second half of season one is when it really starts to get epic.

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:57 pm »

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 9, 2011, 07:58:49 am »
This show is made for tv connoisseurs.

Those of us who have watched so much tv that we can predict the plots of every show running atm.

Community is in a way a celebration of tv. The way they provide constant commentary on each character's role and persona that allows them to get out of concretely formed roles when they want to freshen it up.

I watched this show exclusively for the last week and after finishing it and watching other shows you truly see how brilliant it is.

The pace of the show is unmatched since AD. I still find AD funnier but Community has more to it than just comedy which makes it awesome. I love seeing what parodies or homages they are going to do every week.

The best thing about this show is that it will never let itself fall into a pattern or routine. Everytime something like that emerges they acknowledge it and deal with it. Amazing recipe for a consistent, high quality, long-running show.

The level of difficulty involved in a show like this is unfathomable for me. They are holding themselves to a standard far higher than any show on tv, past or present, bar AD.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2011, 12:43:10 am »
THIS...IS...AWESOME!

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/the_wire_star_michael_k_willia.html

The Wire’s Michael K. ‘Omar’ Williams Is Headed to Community
7/23/11 at 11:30 AM 9Comments

Michael K. Williams
Photo: HBO
If Abed from Community were a real person, his head might explode at the following news: Michael K. Williams, best known as Omar from The Wire, is joining the cast of the NBC series for at least three episodes this fall. He'll be playing the Greendale gang's new biology professor, a role series creator Dan Harmon told us about in the chat we published Friday. Deals weren't inked, however, so we couldn't tell the full story until now. So how did Harmon come up with the idea of signing Williams, whose performance on The Wire caught the attention of President Obama and who, as of late, has been wowing viewers on HBO's Boardwalk Empire?

As he noted in our chat, "The general idea with this season is to add ... a certain amount of groundedness and reality to the series. Because the detractors of our show complain that there's a distancing that takes place because we have such a silliness and far-fetchedness ... So I asked myself, 'What is the opposite of that?' And it's certainly The Wire. I [recently] watched all five seasons, and I wanted to bring a little bit of that mentality and apply it to the Community recipe." Right now, Williams is only slated for three episodes and because he's attached to Boardwalk, any extra episodes would have to be cleared by HBO. But Harmon is thinking positively: "I would hope to have him in many, many [episodes]," he says. "We're really excited." Meanwhile, if Harmon plays his cards right, Community might end up on an updated version of this Vulture List.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Operation Hennessey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:15 pm »
THIS...IS...AWESOME!

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/the_wire_star_michael_k_willia.html

Looking forward to that.

Saw a tweet from Alison Brie saying they were starting filming season 3 today.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2011, 06:29:33 pm »
Started watching this show on Friday. Finished it today.

Awesome show!

Abed is my favourite character. There's something moving about episodes centred around him. The birthday and Christmas episodes especially.

Britta and Annie are hhhh...hhhh...hhhh...hhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
Oh wow, Omar! Best show on telly just got better. I'm sure there will be loads of little jokes about the Wire :D

They started filming the third season today and this is what greeted the cast when they arrived on set...

:D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:00:45 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2011, 10:13:35 pm »
And here's Annie and Brita, erm, celebrating their non-nomination.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »
It's nothing without Shirley.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »
And here's Annie and Brita, erm, celebrating their non-nomination.

:shocked

I love this show btw. I've already watched every episode twice, and reading this thread is making me want to watch it again!

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2011, 08:31:07 am »
Why 'Community' Is More Likely to be Renewed Again Than 'Fringe'

Hope this turns out to be right and we see another two series :D

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:17 am »
http://www.tvline.com/2011/07/community-exclusive-party-down-martin-starr/

First Omar and now Martin Starr, they really couldn't have picked better guest stars. Says that he'll be in episode 2 and might return later in the season.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2011, 10:28:07 am »
Loved Party Down, should be good.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2011, 11:14:53 am »
John Goodman is also appearing in 6 episodes as the Dean of the Air Conditioning Repair school. (yep)

Expect jokes around 'Jeff, the issue here is not the Chinaman. And dude, the correct nomenclature is Asian-American'.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline GoodStuff

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2011, 01:13:37 am »
Love this show. Only comedy atm which i like better is Curb.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »
Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of somewhere I could watch this online? I've seen season 1 but I'm unable to download season 2 at the minute so a stream will have to do. Cheers.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »
Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of somewhere I could watch this online? I've seen season 1 but I'm unable to download season 2 at the minute so a stream will have to do. Cheers.

http://www.sidereel.com/Community

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2011, 12:48:26 pm »
As my avatar shows, I love this show. I think I could happily watch an entire episode where the only thing that happens is Troy crying.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2011, 08:02:24 pm »
New season starts on Thursday. It's gonna be so good.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »
Yes.

They've got John Goodman and Motherfucking Omar as new cast members this season :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2011, 09:04:46 pm »
Pop POP! Back on tonight

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:23 pm »
Wooo!  Having a Community party at my apartment tonight.  Really excited!

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2011, 07:01:43 am »

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:51 am »
that was fun. so stoked this is back on.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »
The 2001 homage was great. Not the funniest episode but it sets up the season nicely.

Offline GoodStuff

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2011, 11:14:07 pm »
Loved it. One of my favorite comedies ever, so original and clever. So glad its back on.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2011, 04:34:29 pm »
Bit of a let down, but I'm sure it'll pick up.

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 7, 2011, 03:19:35 am »

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: October 7, 2011, 10:54:56 am »
Loved the new episode. Chang was amazing in it.