Author Topic: Lake District  (Read 9357 times)

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lake District
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2016, 06:36:59 am »
Went to Grasmere this weekend. Stayed at the refurbished red lion hotel and the little inn opposite. Done a great job there and it looks fantastic. Didn't really do a great deal whilst we were there. Just went to relax and there's no better place to get away from it all. If I ever win the lottery I'm 100 sure first place I'd be looking to buy a house is Grasmere . It's just so relaxing and peaceful. Tweedies bar is great for guest and cask ales. The red lion does fantastic cocktails for the Mrs. Took a rowing boat out on the lake Saturday before the footy and that was so peaceful and you see things from a different viewpoint. It's just magical up there. My favourite place in the country. By some distance. Didn't want to come home as soon as you do it just seems so busy and shite
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline The Highway Man

• Kemlynite
    • Online Exiles
Re: Lake District Help/Keswick
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2016, 12:20:05 am »
Keswick sounds about right for what you described. I find it a bit touristy but to be fair, if you're want to go to the lakes, it's gonna be touristy.
I was brought up in Cockermouth, right on the edge of the Lake District.

I can't really think of anywhere other than Keswick that meets the criteria you set out. Windermere, Bowness and Hawkshead are pretty small and full of posh south lakes c*nts. :wanker

Ambleside and Keswick are the major tourist towns and offer the best options for easy access to the countryside with plenty of pubs, cafes and restaurants. There really isn't anywhere else of that size in the lakes. Penrith, Kendal, Cleator Moor and Egremont are all outside the lakes and pretty grim. Cockermouth is about the only other option, it's quite a nice town and not as toursity as Keswick but then it's a bit further from the Lakes.

As far as walking or mountain biking goes, you can't go wrong with Keswick as there's loads to do either walking out form the town or taking the car down Borrowdale or into the next valleys. There's also loads of variety from strenuous stuff like hiking up Skiddaw or Cat Bells to marked trails around Whinlatter and  Dodd Wood. Can't recommend it highly enough if that's your thing.

I haven't been to any of the pubs in Keswick for years so can't really recommend any but there's a few nice cafes and bars dotted around the town. Generally Jennings pubs do ok food (but don't quote me on that) and sell the local beer (brewed in Cockermouth - you can still do the brewery tour on weekdays I think).

Outside of Keswick, The Pheasant Inn on the side of Bassenthwaite used to do good grub (this was years ago mind) and if you want a really posh dinner there's Armathwaite Hall but I think you'd have to book. I can't think of anymore to say about Keswick off the top of my head but I'll try to answer any other questions you have.

Enjoy! :wave
I live a short distance from Cockermouth (or knobingob as the locals call it! :D ) in Maryport. You're right about Cleator Moor, they eat their kids there! :D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2016, 11:43:07 am »
Thanks for all you recommendations, but they were all a bit further north than I wanted to go... As I'm spending two nights/three days in Glenridding, I could see Keswick quite easily, I think. I was hoping to see somewhere a bit further down, as we will be travelling from the South.

Thanks for the recommendations though!

We stayed a few nights at the Apple Pie guesthouse in Ambleside, nice little town, plenty of pubs, not far for a walk to Windermere. There's another hotel there, has a spa and is right next to a pub. Think it's called The Salutation or something like that.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2016, 02:02:34 pm »
Just back from spending 4 days in the Lake District. Wow. I wasn't expecting it to be so beautiful - you read so much about it but even still, to see it with your own eyes was incredible.

We stayed in Grasmere on Friday night then travelled to Glenridding for a wedding. The drive from Grasmere was incredible - we stopped a couple of times to take some pictures on the way. Crazy beautiful!

Absolutely loved Grasmere, gorgeous little village just surrounded by beauty. Had dinner in the Jumble Room which was absolutely brilliant, then into Tweedies after. They had live music there, my Husband seemed to enjoy the range of beer too. Knew I was in the right kind of place when there was a Don't Buy The S*n sticker in the window. They stocked Liverpool Gin there too, which was nice to try for the first time.

Visited that Gingerbread place... holy crap. I was devastated when I found out it doesn't keep very long - only about 3 days. Had visions of being able to bring this stuff home and keep for weeks though. Bought some rum butter to try too, just haven't quite figured out with what yet.

I will definitely try and get back to that area soon, maybe see a bit more of it. We drove through Windemere in the evening, so didn't get to see a lot of it from the car but definitely next time.

Glenridding is nice but not anywhere near as much life as Grasmere. Ended up driving for 30-35 minutes on Saturday evening trying to find a bar with BT Sports so my Husband could catch the football. Couldn't believe it took that long to find somewhere showing it - we must have tried about 12-15 different places.

But yeah, stunning place. Can't believe I've never been before. Already want to go back, just a shame it's a 6hr drive away.

Online Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2016, 04:16:58 pm »
Just back from spending 4 days in the Lake District. Wow. I wasn't expecting it to be so beautiful - you read so much about it but even still, to see it with your own eyes was incredible.

We stayed in Grasmere on Friday night then travelled to Glenridding for a wedding. The drive from Grasmere was incredible - we stopped a couple of times to take some pictures on the way. Crazy beautiful!

Absolutely loved Grasmere, gorgeous little village just surrounded by beauty. Had dinner in the Jumble Room which was absolutely brilliant, then into Tweedies after. They had live music there, my Husband seemed to enjoy the range of beer too. Knew I was in the right kind of place when there was a Don't Buy The S*n sticker in the window. They stocked Liverpool Gin there too, which was nice to try for the first time.

Visited that Gingerbread place... holy crap. I was devastated when I found out it doesn't keep very long - only about 3 days. Had visions of being able to bring this stuff home and keep for weeks though. Bought some rum butter to try too, just haven't quite figured out with what yet.

I will definitely try and get back to that area soon, maybe see a bit more of it. We drove through Windemere in the evening, so didn't get to see a lot of it from the car but definitely next time.

Glenridding is nice but not anywhere near as much life as Grasmere. Ended up driving for 30-35 minutes on Saturday evening trying to find a bar with BT Sports so my Husband could catch the football. Couldn't believe it took that long to find somewhere showing it - we must have tried about 12-15 different places.

But yeah, stunning place. Can't believe I've never been before. Already want to go back, just a shame it's a 6hr drive away.

Grasmere is far and away my fave place in the lakes.thankfully for me it's about an hour and twenty minutes away. It's the only place I stay in the lakes nowadays. Tweedies bar is great. The grasmere beer festival would be boss for your husband next year! Tweedies put up a huge marquee in the garden and have live bands all day with loads of beer tasting. Great atmosphere . Without meaning to be nosey where did you stay? Just curious coz we've stayed in a few places now and always switch between them. You can't not enjoy Grasmere. I love walking around the corner and having that imposing sight of the mountains and the red old school phone box. There's just something so tranquil and beautiful about the whole area. I love the place and would move there in an instant if I had half a chance

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2016, 04:51:52 pm »
Grasmere is far and away my fave place in the lakes.thankfully for me it's about an hour and twenty minutes away. It's the only place I stay in the lakes nowadays. Tweedies bar is great. The grasmere beer festival would be boss for your husband next year! Tweedies put up a huge marquee in the garden and have live bands all day with loads of beer tasting. Great atmosphere . Without meaning to be nosey where did you stay? Just curious coz we've stayed in a few places now and always switch between them. You can't not enjoy Grasmere. I love walking around the corner and having that imposing sight of the mountains and the red old school phone box. There's just something so tranquil and beautiful about the whole area. I love the place and would move there in an instant if I had half a chance

Oh that's interesting about the beer festival... Do you know what month that is in?

We booked it about 2 weeks ago, so we weren't left with a lot of choice but opted for Chesnut Villas. It was absolutely gorgeous - just been renovated, everything felt fresh and new, lovely atmosphere and just a short walk from everything. We were a bit apprehensive as we left it last minute but I would definitely stay there again.

https://chestnutvilla.wordpress.com/our-rooms/

I know exactly what you mean - I would move there tomorrow too.

The red phone-box was a strange one - the first time I had ever seen a defibrillator in one!

The whole atmosphere around the place was fantastic. We only had 18 hours there but already I am itching to get back.

Online Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2016, 05:22:53 pm »
It's normally the first week in September .it books out really quick as I'm sure you'll imagine! It highly recommend it though! I've stayed in a few places , dale lodge the hotel attached to Tweedies , red lion which is lovely since the refurb, Heidi's lodge which is also gorgeous, and my fave was moss grove the one opposite Tweedies as you walk down the drive away from it. All lovely in their own way. It's just by far my favourite village in the lakes. If the weather is nice in summer it's just amazing to watch the world go by so peacefully with great views and an ice cold beer....and I know what you mean about the ginger bread! It's out of this world! The head chef of Tweedies is a massive bluenose boss fella in fairness and a couple of the lads behind the bar are reds too. Great place for a beer.havent tried jumble rooms yet but heard it's lovely, always meant to give it a go. Tweedies steak always has me crawling back though!