Author Topic: Coming in from out of country for 1st Anfield game - need advice  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Coming in from out of country for 1st Anfield game - need advice
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:04:14 pm »
Greetings fellow Reds!

I will try to make this quick, but I have just found out that I may have to travel to England for work in April.  I work with a humanitarian organisation in the middle of Siberia (literally, as in north of Mongolia) and have been an avid fan of the Reds for years.  It has always been my dream to attend a game at Anfield and now it seems I may have a chance.

Or, maybe, I've missed my chance, which would be devastating!  I'll be in the area towards the end of April, specifically for the home game against Crystal Palace.  However, I've just been on the club website and it says that there's no sense in me signing up for Membership because the members' tickets for that game are already sold out.

Alternatively, I checked with Thomas Cook and they want a ridiculous £300 for a package with a ticket and a night in a hotel.  I might even be willing to do that, such is the level of my desperation, but that would be a LOT of money for someone on my salary.  And I seemingly don't even have time to think it over as they're already sold out of the cheaper £269 option and the site says that there is only one left at the higher price.

However, when I look down past the "Sold Out" section on the official site, it does say that there are upcoming tickets to the Crystal Palace match coming on a date "to be confirmed."

So my question is this: what should I do?  Is there any hope of getting a ticket closer to the date of the game?  If so, what do I need to do? (sign up for membership? something else?)  Or should I just pay Thomas Cook their ridiculous price and thank the stars that I got the last ticket (and then sell my firstborn to pay for it)?

I really, REALLY do not want to miss what might very well be the only chance I get in my lifetime to watch the Reds play at Anfield.  I wake up all the time at 3 in the morning to watch them, by myself in my living room on a dodgy stream, so even if it's a dour 0-0 I will be thrilled to just have been there at least once.  Anyone with advice, it would be very welcomed!
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Re: Coming in from out of country for 1st Anfield game - need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:10:03 pm »
We'll playing in the cup semi final that weekend, so it'll get postponed. 
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »
Didn't even think about that!

Well, I suppose that leads to a few other questions, then. 

1. If I bought the club hospitality package or the Thomas Cook package, and then the game was postponed, I assume I get my money back?  Or is it just "no, you have to show up a week or two later when the game is rescheduled," because obviously if it's the latter that doesn't help me at all.

2. I assume the club would offer some sort of similar hospitality package to a semi-final game at Wembley?  Where I'll be is about equidistant between London and Liverpool, so a Wembley trip would be fun.  I just assume that those tickets would be even harder to get?

3. Is a better bet trying to go for an away ticket at Watford the following weekend?  I could maybe stay after my conference for a few days and do that.  Again, I assumed that would be harder to get for a foreign fan with no previous games on my card, but maybe that's not the case?

Thanks again.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.

Offline TheSpionKopNC

• Main Stander
  • Boom
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
Didn't even think about that!

Well, I suppose that leads to a few other questions, then. 

1. If I bought the club hospitality package or the Thomas Cook package, and then the game was postponed, I assume I get my money back?  Or is it just "no, you have to show up a week or two later when the game is rescheduled," because obviously if it's the latter that doesn't help me at all.

2. I assume the club would offer some sort of similar hospitality package to a semi-final game at Wembley?  Where I'll be is about equidistant between London and Liverpool, so a Wembley trip would be fun.  I just assume that those tickets would be even harder to get?

3. Is a better bet trying to go for an away ticket at Watford the following weekend?  I could maybe stay after my conference for a few days and do that.  Again, I assumed that would be harder to get for a foreign fan with no previous games on my card, but maybe that's not the case?

Thanks again.

I'm planning on going to the same match to be honest.  Always going to be a toss up for the Crystal Palace match due to the potential to be in the FA Semi-Finals.

Here's what I've learned so far.

1.  Bought Liverpool Hospitality package.  Was told by Hospitality that if the match is postponed and I wouldn't be able to attend that I would receive a full refund.  If I am, I'll be using that money to try to get a ticket to the semi-finals in London.  On the hospitality section of LFC the only option is to be in the Upper Anfield Road section.  Membership not required to get hospitality.  To get in the members sale (or Additional Members) tickets you would need a membership.

2.  Not sure if the club offers hospitality packages for Wembley, but looking they do have that as an option under the "competition" drop down menu so they very well could at that time.  If you buy hospitality through them, you may be able to simply switch over to a ticket.  I'm sure they'll probably have requirements to purchase a ticket through the additional members sale in the ticket portal. (as in attending previous matches).

3.  Getting a Watford away ticket would be impossible for a new fan with no credits.  Guessing it will kick off for fans with 13/14+ previous away match credits from the 15/16 season.  Not likely to get that.  Would have better luck with a Thomas Cook package if they even exist) if that's your option to go to this match.  Definitely not going to happen for a new member though with no credits through the LFC ticket site.

Hope this helps.

I'm hoping myself that if the 22/4/16 match is postponed (Palace) then I'll be able to transfer over the funds used to purchase that ticket to buying a Wembley ticket for the semi-finals.  Still lots of research to go to figure out how and if I could make that happen. 

Good luck and hope you get to catch a LFC match when you're over.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 03:31:46 pm »
OK, so I called the ticket office and the hospitality office and was told something pretty similar.  If the game is postponed, then they'll either give me a ticket for the postponed game or offer a full refund.  Which would be better than just losing the money, but still, this is probably my only chance to see Liverpool so I'd be pretty upset if I just got a refund and that was the end of the story.

What's the situation on getting a ticket to a Wembley semi-final, then?  The ticket office said no chance on that match for a new member, so getting it through the club is out.  The hospitality office only does Anfield matches, they couldn't help with getting a ticket to Wembley.

So I guess it would be an even more expensive ticket from Thomas Cook or whoever does the Wembley hospitality, then.  Which would be disappointing.

Anyway, I'm going to start investigating my options in case the game is rescheduled.  Then I guess I'll hope we either go out of the cup (which I don't really want to do; I love the FA Cup and think this season could be a good chance to win it) or that I can figure out some way to get a ticket to that match, which would be brilliant!

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 03:50:04 pm »
You two have just jinxed us for the F.A cup.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 04:00:59 pm »
What about if Palace get to the semi and we get knocked out?  We wont even have a match.

You could go and watch COLFC I suppose, they have a better atmosphere.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline TheSpionKopNC

• Main Stander
  • Boom
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »
OK, so I called the ticket office and the hospitality office and was told something pretty similar.  If the game is postponed, then they'll either give me a ticket for the postponed game or offer a full refund.  Which would be better than just losing the money, but still, this is probably my only chance to see Liverpool so I'd be pretty upset if I just got a refund and that was the end of the story.

What's the situation on getting a ticket to a Wembley semi-final, then?  The ticket office said no chance on that match for a new member, so getting it through the club is out.  The hospitality office only does Anfield matches, they couldn't help with getting a ticket to Wembley.

So I guess it would be an even more expensive ticket from Thomas Cook or whoever does the Wembley hospitality, then.  Which would be disappointing.

Anyway, I'm going to start investigating my options in case the game is rescheduled.  Then I guess I'll hope we either go out of the cup (which I don't really want to do; I love the FA Cup and think this season could be a good chance to win it) or that I can figure out some way to get a ticket to that match, which would be brilliant!

Looks like Thomas Cook does some Wembley hospitality, so maybe they'll do the semi's that weekend WHEN we make it. 

I'm already planning for us to make it and I guess the best bet will be to go through Thomas Cook at that point.  I don't (nor won't) have enough FA Cup prior matches to get a ticket through LFC, and I'm not going to credit hunt to get it either so it's my only option.

Just be prepared to have to make that change because like wool said, if CP makes it too then the match would be rescheduled.

Wouldn't be that much worse through TC to get the hospitality tickets hopefully.  Only time will tell.  Just save some extra money on whatever you're willing to spend on tickets just in case.

Here's to jinxing our Premier League match and hoping for a FA Cup title.   :wave

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 05:27:16 pm »
You'll have to wait for an exchange closer to the time, that's that mate, sorry.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »
Might be able to get someone's club Wembley ticket to the semi final but it will probably cost a fair bit (they are the ones in the middle that go round).
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 05:56:34 pm »
Two cheaper options, though neither will guarantee you a ticket.

- There will be a "late availability" sale for members afaik. A few weeks before the match. I haven't bought in LA for ages, but if you ask in one of the member's sale threads, somebody will be able to explain. But, there is a very real possibility that you buy the membership and still don't get a ticket.

There will be an exchange for tickets on here a week before the match (once its sold out).
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline willfc

• Kopite
    • Anfield 96 blog
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 11:54:02 pm »
Be tough to get a ticket if we're on a title run (jinxed it)
"I told my players during the break: Since we're here anyway, we might actually play a bit of football." - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 07:39:47 am »
Your best bet is hospitality. It's a one off, at least that way you'll be guaranteed a ticket and a refund if it's moved.