Author Topic: Kolo Toure  (Read 165110 times)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Re: Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2013, 12:00:13 am »
Or he offers something physically or tactically that the team could use for a specific game.
If I'm honest, I hope it would only be for tactical reasons mate. Hope we get the physical, aerially dominant/competitive part sorted during the rest of the summer. We can't just rely on one guy to give us a physical edge as most of the teams fight tooth and nail for aerial balls. Then he can sommer play first choice then for the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:02:05 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Elf Pistolero_7

• Relegated.
  • Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Spirit Of Shankly
« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2013, 12:00:42 am »
Could turn out to be a brilliant signing. The key point for me is the fact he's coming here motivated to play football. He aint on the mammoth contract he could have got elsewhere and he hasnt cost a penny to buy. Adds experience that we would severely lack next year with Carra gone.

Brendan, you are certainly earning your stripes in the transfer market. Well played.

Well said. My feelings exactly.
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that"

Bill Shankly. He made the people happy.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: May 29, 2013, 12:02:28 am »
If Kolo was trying to flog a car to a team mate which  player is most likely to buy one of him?

That's a question i was asked just now.  I haven't a clue. Any idea's ?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #363 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:18 am »
If Kolo was trying to flog a car to a team mate which  player is most likely to buy one of him?

Enrique. He doesn't look the brightest at times.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Right Said Red

• I'm too self-righteous for this Orum! Not an expert. Monumental Idiot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #364 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:44 am »
I think he will play far more than people expect next season.

Just looking on the City forum, it shows he played well last season.  Just watching the clip Mostar has posted, he is still a very good defender and has not lost all his pace.

He is physical, proven / experienced / winner, good on the ball, in the air and solid.  Can't ask for much more than that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:11:24 am by Right Said Red »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #365 on: May 29, 2013, 12:07:02 am »
Why come to LFC for a two year contract at 32 as a retirement plan when you can go to Russia, China, Turkey or UAE and make double what you'd get here for  and no doubt the extra income will make his wife a bit less pissed off. He's a professional, if he'd had that sort of attitude then he wouldn't have won all he has in his career.

Quick question, do you think if Toure was in Arsenal or Spurs the last two years he would have played alot more games in that period?
On the first paragraph, he wants to be in the area, ergo my concern. I agree with the professionalism bit, I'm not accusing him in lacking professionalism, I'm just a bit uneasy until I see him on the pitch in the red shirt.

On the second part, I can't answer that, no one can. Did you expect last August that Carra will play so much? But it's sure that he would have added decent competition to the starters, if not playing himself. As Carra did for us.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #366 on: May 29, 2013, 12:07:02 am »
Apart from the experience he can impart to the backs, looking at that city game again I am sure it will be good for Raheem and co. to practice running at him and round him in training.  Someone also mentioned that he got involved with the academy players a bit.

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #367 on: May 29, 2013, 12:08:20 am »
He doesn't feature much on Youtube, and could someone please point out the moneyballs in Kolo, just to confirm that this is an approved FSG signing.  No washing their hands clean if things don't go the Carra way.  Hope this stop-gap solution works out for everyone.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: May 29, 2013, 12:11:59 am »
He doesn't feature much on Youtube, and could someone please point out the moneyballs in Kolo, just to confirm that this is an approved FSG signing.  No washing their hands clean if things don't go the Carra way.  Hope this stop-gap solution works out for everyone.
Eh?

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #369 on: May 29, 2013, 12:12:44 am »
Welcome Kolo.
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #370 on: May 29, 2013, 12:16:21 am »
Could be that sort of a signing, but I don't think this is about that anyway. This is a necessary signing and someone the manager wanted. There is what the owners want to see- a general policy(not to be adhered to religiously of course), but there is also what the manager wants or what the team needs. Sometimes those could take precedence over a policy. Hope to see it more often, if I'm honest, since the manager gets what he wants now and then and everyone's happy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:20:06 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #371 on: May 29, 2013, 12:20:40 am »
Decent signing for us. Proven in the PL and in Europe, 3 years younger than Carra and probably on less wages.

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #372 on: May 29, 2013, 12:23:55 am »
Not so sure myself.  His brother; Djimi was not up to much!!!

Seriously though, I think that is a cracking signing.  Good also to see that we are prepared to go against the "transfer policy" when the right deal comes along.

Might even encourage the likes of Drogbar to attend some of Carra's charity do's too!!!
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

« Reply #373 on: May 29, 2013, 12:24:42 am »

Coutinho or Downing

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • working in a coal mine, going down, down, down..
« Reply #374 on: May 29, 2013, 12:27:59 am »
Delighted with this signing.. get one in the bag early, hungry, no risk and a wealth of prem experience..
Hopefully this is the start of a great summer of strengthening the squad out to challenge at the top end nxt yr.

Welcome Kolo

« Reply #375 on: May 29, 2013, 12:30:16 am »
On the first paragraph, he wants to be in the area, ergo my concern. I agree with the professionalism bit, I'm not accusing him in lacking professionalism, I'm just a bit uneasy until I see him on the pitch in the red shirt.

On the second part, I can't answer that, no one can. Did you expect last August that Carra will play so much? But it's sure that he would have added decent competition to the starters, if not playing himself. As Carra did for us.
Ferdinand for United, Gallas for Spurs, Carra for us at their prime they were all in the same bracket of class. It's alot easier for top players to find that motivation and like they say class is permanent. My point though is if its your last payday then location won't be the a priority also I doubt he'd want to retire at 34.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: May 29, 2013, 12:34:41 am »
I think we will find him a really impressive defender, and be surprised by the security he provides at the back.

Interesting how our last three signings are players who were at big clubs and couldn't get enough game time. I think that says a lot about what we are looking for in terms of motivation, as well as making shrewd bargain signings. Cut prices.

The Man City scouts also obviously will have seen him play a lot and that is a good indication of how highly he is rated.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:36:13 am by Il Capitano »

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: May 29, 2013, 12:37:31 am »

Moneyballs?  I don't know why I respond to this sort of thing, but if you'd read the book, perhaps the name David Justice would mean something. 

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #378 on: May 29, 2013, 12:49:50 am »
Ferdinand for United, Gallas for Spurs, Carra for us at their prime they were all in the same bracket of class. It's alot easier for top players to find that motivation and like they say class is permanent. My point though is if its your last payday then location won't be the a priority also I doubt he'd want to retire at 34.
I think that Kolo can be a very good signing, there is no hint at the opposite in any of my posts. I just have some reservations that can be dispelled in the first few games. And (sorry) but I can't be convinced by the examples you gave. Carra and Ferdinand can't be good analogs. Their respective clubs are in their blood, they'd do all for them. That's the edge that Kolo will not have, no matter how hard he tries, because you cannot acquire it in a year or two. (just my opinion, feel free to disagree.) Gallas to Spurs is more analogous to Kolo to City, when they were both in their prime. But, again, I agree with you that a professional approach can go a long way.

On the bit in bold, I understand where you're coming from and normally I'd agree with you, but that contradicts the reports in the press - it was drummed all around that he wants to stay in the area. This can go either way, good or bad. The good thing is that we'd be getting a top quality experienced CB still at a level suitable for a top club (e.g, a CL club). The bad thing is that he made his money and would be on "welfare" compared to his City wages, which may dampen his appetite for the game. I suppose we will see how this plays out.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #379 on: May 29, 2013, 01:04:26 am »
A totally sensible signing, so am i on the right forum?

Not only are you on the wrong forum, you're on the wrong website mate.  The loonies in here make those in The One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest look positively rational. As you are only too aware....    ;)
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2013, 01:06:50 am »
He's not fantastic but he is strong and fast or at least he was.  Haven't seen much of him lately but I hope he retains that.  Not too shabby on the ball as well.  Very astute signing I think.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2013, 01:20:34 am »
for me, this signing would only take place if they were confident it would be value for money, which is why i'm happy about it

its amazing how some would knock the club for focusing on youth and then knock the club when they get experience back up in too! make up your minds boys
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:22:26 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline khalilur

• Kopite
« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2013, 01:32:47 am »
Could turn out to be a brilliant signing. The key point for me is the fact he's coming here motivated to play football. He aint on the mammoth contract he could have got elsewhere and he hasnt cost a penny to buy. Adds experience that we would severely lack next year with Carra gone.

Brendan, you are certainly earning your stripes in the transfer market. Well played.

Does anyone know what kind of wages he's on? I've been reading a lot of posters saying that his wages are not that high so what does that mean? 40k?50k? 70k?

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #383 on: May 29, 2013, 02:00:50 am »
Welcome to Anfield & LFC, Kolo.  :scarf

Arsenal - 225(Apps), 9(goals), 2002-2009(years)
Man City - 82, 2, 2009-2013
Liverpool - ..., ..., 2013-?????

Stats (wiki)
🔥97🔥

Offline reds88

• Kopite
« Reply #384 on: May 29, 2013, 02:18:38 am »
I think that Kolo can be a very good signing, there is no hint at the opposite in any of my posts. I just have some reservations that can be dispelled in the first few games. And (sorry) but I can't be convinced by the examples you gave. Carra and Ferdinand can't be good analogs. Their respective clubs are in their blood, they'd do all for them. That's the edge that Kolo will not have, no matter how hard he tries, because you cannot acquire it in a year or two. (just my opinion, feel free to disagree.) Gallas to Spurs is more analogous to Kolo to City, when they were both in their prime. But, again, I agree with you that a professional approach can go a long way.

Understand where you're coming from but Gary Mac came late in his career and did very well by us.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #385 on: May 29, 2013, 02:40:33 am »
Heard the news over the radio and was like "What?" - it was out of nowhere (to me at least). I'd imagine he is still a little too good to be a full time backup, would start some games and come in as the 3rd CB if the we decide to compact the formation a little or in card trouble.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #386 on: May 29, 2013, 02:42:42 am »
I hope when we play City we can synchronise the Kolo/Yaya song with them, we sing the Kolo bit, they sing the Yaya bit obviously, you know it makes sense.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:51 am »
The powerful defender will be registered as a Reds player when his current deal with Manchester City expires.

After more than 200 appearances for the Londoners, Toure was firmly established as one of the finest centre-backs in the league - and Manchester City duly swooped to sign him in the summer of 2009 and immediately appointed him club captain.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/reds-agree-toure-deal

Yankees sales pitch.     :P
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #388 on: May 29, 2013, 02:57:21 am »
Heard the news over the radio and was like "What?" - it was out of nowhere (to me at least). I'd imagine he is still a little too good to be a full time backup, would start some games and come in as the 3rd CB if the we decide to compact the formation a little or in card trouble.

I think the intent is pure back-up and rotation to rest players. I presume given who we've been linked with, that a CB signing to pair with Agger will be first choice but BR likes to rest Agger where he can - so cup games and the odd rotation game is my expectation.

In that context, seasoned player who's proven himself previously, winner mentality and on a free (and presuming wages are reasonable), should be a good buy and cover option.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:00:23 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Red Zeppelin

• Kopite
Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #389 on: May 29, 2013, 03:01:50 am »
Wish it was Eboue
Quote from: kdorg on Today at 02:09:38 AM
the more Pacheco doesn't play the better he becomes. He's turning into a cross between Maradonna Pele Messi and the holy fucking grail.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: May 29, 2013, 03:02:41 am »
Wish it was yaya
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #391 on: May 29, 2013, 03:16:39 am »
I hope he gets the number 23 shirt.

I don't think ANYBODY will ever get that number.......

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:52 am »
Should make a decent squad back up. As long as we get a couple of starter quality younger lads in for the first team I'm glad he's here. Welcome Kolo!

Offline StevieSuarezJoe

• Anny Roader
  • I Hate you because I loved you so much
« Reply #393 on: May 29, 2013, 03:36:35 am »
I don't think ANYBODY will ever get that number.......
Of course they will..
Proud Melbourne Red

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2013, 03:44:14 am »
Don't know about this one.    I was kind of hoping it wouldn't happen.  He must be a very rich man now given the wages he was on at City - have to wonder how motivated he will be.  I really hate Bosnam signings, especially when it's a player in their 30's (unless the player is a Liverpool fan) He's a Liverpool player now though and I will support him. 

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2013, 03:59:29 am »

I know he's not a teammate but I've got Jason McAteer's number. He could sell him a car without wheels sitting on a mattress and call it a hovercraft!
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #396 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06:25 am »
I know he's not a teammate but I've got Jason McAteer's number. He could sell him a car without wheels sitting on a mattress and call it a hovercraft!

LOL the other Macca cops a fair bit for being a thicko doesn't he. Poor bastard.

Anyway, welcome Kolo!

Personally pleased with this signing and that we got it done so early. We need a good experienced CB that plays the ball comfortably and I think he fits the bill. May not be a raging success but I think he will brink stability and calm when he's called upon.

I think it also  shows our scouting team has been active through the season. Hope we'll see a few more deals done early and not have to wait till deadline day for big signings.

Offline ScouserBrad21

• Kopite
  • Everton are a small club
« Reply #397 on: May 29, 2013, 04:09:36 am »
Ooooooh Kolo Toure, the one and only.... he's Liverpool!!!!  His Man City days were numbered, they won't play him anymore, but he's now come in for Carra to strengthen our back four!!!! :wave

Good signing and great business. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:12:12 am by ScouserBrad21 »

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2013, 04:15:57 am »
Does anyone know what kind of wages he's on? I've been reading a lot of posters saying that his wages are not that high so what does that mean? 40k?50k? 70k?

£200,000 a week, a subscription to slimming world in Oakfield Avenue, a Davina McCall workout video with free leg warmers and a used Ford Cortina (with the option to upgrade to a Ford Capri or Granada based on goals/appearances) has been mooted.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: May 29, 2013, 04:23:21 am »
I'm really happy with the signing. He's a proven defender, and we will need one in what will be a transitional season for us in defense. He could start if needed, or be a capable backup and keep pressure on our first choice pairing, pretty much what Carra did for us last season.

Whatever pairing we end up starting the year with, it will be important to have the ability to switch things up without putting our season in danger.

Personaly I've always liked him as a player, he's been one of the better Cb's in the world over the last decade. Although he's probably not getting any better at this stage in his career, he should provide a nice option for us to have.

A proven veteran defender can be useful, to any squad in the world.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”