Author Topic: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent  (Read 340267 times)

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
Re: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent
« Reply #1960 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »
If the rumour is true that Kenny asked for these meetings to be brought forward, it is reasonable to speculate that Comolli and Bruckner were having an unwelcome influence on the playing staff?
This would seem to clear the decks.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1961 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »
Totally unexpected. Can't see Kenny moving upstairs. The DOF position would need business acumen and negotiation skills (which I don't see that in Kenny).

I like the ruthlessness and the confident tone from Werner's interview. At least he indicate that we have resources to compete, we have strategy in place. We just need the right man to implement it.

Why the fuck are you even mentioning Kenny becoming DOF? I assume you've read the interview so what is the point?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #1962 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:26 pm »
It's a change in culture for the club....

Under Parry/Moores underachievement wasn't challenged. 

Here performance is being scrutinised under a microscope

Which is exactly how it should be.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #1963 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »
Ruthless say some, reckless says I.

Whilst people are lining up to praise them for ruthlessly dismissing Comolli for last summer, they’re missing the wood from the trees. The idea that the DoF is perhaps the most long-term role at the football club, and also that it was recklessness on their part initially to hire Comolli in that role through sheer nepotism.

I’ll be repeating myself a fair bit here, so I’ll just quote what I wrote about the situation last weekend:

As I’ve said to royhendo, my personal concern with Comolli – and by extension FSG – isn’t necessarily the job he’s doing but how he got the job in the first place. FSG expect patience over the stadium. FSG expected patience as they dragged out the hiring of Ayre as MD, telling us it was a long-drawn out process and how they had to make sure they did everything properly before deciding Ayre was the man for the job. FSG asked for patience as they dragged out Hodgson’s reign like death by a thousand cuts before finally cutting off the head just before United away in the cup. They are well within their rights to ask for patience, especially if they were undergoing a laborious, all-encompassing process for determining who the right person to move us forward is. It’s only right we grant them that patience, because if they’re correct then it’s to our benefit.

So what process was Comolli subject to before they decided he was the man to become Director of Football at Liverpool? How was his position decided? It is after-all, perhaps the most important role at the club. He has control over the future of the club, both in terms of transfers and the academy. Comolli also has control of the present, given he presides over the first-team coaching staff. It’s a lot of responsibility… So how did they decide that Damien Comolli was the man for the job?

Was Damien Comolli subject to the same extensive vetting that Ayre was, or did he just happen to be on Billy Beane’s speed-dial? Would it be too cynical to suggest that FSG, with all their business savvy, gave control of the football club to a man who just happens to be close friends with the man they respect most in baseball, which is of course the sport they know better?

If Comolli was subject to some sort of interview process then who conducted it? Was it Henry and Werner, whose knowledge of football would’ve amounted to what at the time? Owning Pay As You Play and having the Swiss Ramble in their favourites? Perhaps that tad dismissive, but I’m generally curious as to what the level of football knowledge was amongst those who decided that Comolli was the man for the job. That’s not because I think Comolli is the wrong man for the job, but I would like to know what exactly entitled him to get the job over some of the other candidates available.

When FSG decided that they wanted a director of football who exactly was on the short-list, was there even a short-list? Let’s take into account for a second that with Pep Guardiola and Mourinho in-situ at the two big Spanish clubs there aren’t many bigger clubs available than Liverpool who have a director of football, and those that do tend to have people who already hold a strong association with their club. So with that in mind did FSG consider Corvino at Fiorentina or Monchi? Did they only consider candidates who were out of work such as Txiki Begiristain, who was hugely successful in his time at Barcelona and had experience at running a club who were heavily reliant on a philosophy where the academy was fundamental to its future success?

My concern was given a bit of credence this morning when I had an email off someone who had been told by a pretty sound journo that Comolli’s appointment was basically suggested by Billy Beane, a baseball man, but a close friend of Comolli’s.

So here we have a couple of businessmen who think of themselves as the Thinking Men of sports business. Their first move after getting in the door is to give the most powerful, all-encompassing role at the football club to a friend of a friend on the recommendation of someone they admire in baseball. Oh yeah, we’re really moving forward and innovating.

It’s arguably a stupider call than Hicks & Gillet using Klinsman as a ‘football consultant’. Arguably that’s exactly what FSG needed. They needed someone who could help them out as they went along, safe in the knowledge that if they were undermining anyone it was a short-term manager who was deeply unpopular with the fans. The total opposite of H&G with Rafa.

But no, FSG with their self-appointed images of being both innovators and gamblers jumped straight in, appointing Damien Comolli to the role of Director of Football Strategy (and then ultimately Director of Football).

As I say, this is an organisation that expects us to grant them time and patience with decisions like the protracted firing of Hodgson, the search for an MD and the non-movement on the stadium front. How can they ask for patience, and expect us to trust they’re carrying out a full and proper search through the best candidates, when they give the role with the most power on the footballing side of things to Comolli on a whim.

This isn’t about the job Damien Comolli did. I happen to think he did alright and that long-term his signings will look better than they currently do. But that’s long-term. Whether you think Comolli pissed money up the wall this summer or not, I think you’ve got to say it is rash to give someone such a long-term role and then sack them so quickly for disappointing.

My point isn’t necessarily about Comolli though – I think he did ok, but I also don’t see what made him the stand-out candidate for the job in the first place, other than he was the only one. That’s kind of the crux of this. Whether you think Comolli was good or bad, the question should be why he got the job in the first place.

There’s plenty on here now praising their vision and their strategy for correcting their mistake so quickly, but once again they seem to have made the decision with no consultation from someone with experience in football, which is what got them into the mess in the first place.

Personally I think a Director of Football is essential at a club our size. I think a coach has to earn that level of power through success, which is what Ferguson and Wenger have done. A club shouldn’t be modeled on the whim of an individual whose job expectancy is usually two years (or at Liverpool probably close to 4-5 in the last 20 years).

You need someone to ensure that the vision remains consistent and unaltered. You need a support system to ensure the manager can do his job with people working around him. It’s about giving Kenny a platform that allows him to do his job. You don’t just give him that platform in name only and then hang him out to dry as has happened countless times this season, specifically with the Suarez case but on other issues as well.

You don’t necessarily call it a Director of Football, because that title carries a certain stigma in this country for some reason. It’s too foreign to swallow perhaps. You have someone in position to carry through that long-term strategy though. If you want Kenny to use more of the kids from the academy you have someone who says that to the press, who says that there isn’t immediate pressure if the results go wrong. You don’t have people giving us a target at the start of the season whilst simultaneously querying why we’re not seeing 5 or 6 home grown teenagers a week (ok, slight hyperbole, but you see what I’m getting at).

I could rant on this a while, but I’m arsed. I’m being asked to place faith in a long-term strategy where people are employed through nepotism, and now we’re being asked to hold faith while they correct that ‘mistake’, with another decision on a whim with seemingly no advice behind it from someone of a football background. We’ll see.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline dernaroy

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1964 on: April 12, 2012, 05:28:15 pm »
i admireyour optimism but if you honestly believe we will finish even in the top 6 this year , then you my friend (im at pains to say this ) are deluded.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1965 on: April 12, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »
If the rumour is true that Kenny asked for these meetings to be brought forward, it is reasonable to speculate that Comolli and Bruckner were having an unwelcome influence on the playing staff?

What rumour? Some Twitter shite? Please, please, please, can we stick to discussing the actual story not some fantasy Twitter bollocks.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Cesar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: April 12, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »
can we replace Bruckner with Eva Carneiro please?

Offline JonnyDubb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1967 on: April 12, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »
dont know why this is what i imagine melwood to look like today...

"£35 million? Damieeeeeeeeeeeen"

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1968 on: April 12, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »
First post in the thread maybe ?

Doh, Cheers
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: April 12, 2012, 05:29:44 pm »

What influence could they have though, especially Brukner. Sounds like nonsense

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #1970 on: April 12, 2012, 05:30:57 pm »
Why is everyone suggesting David Dein?  I've no knowledge of Arsenal's finances or whatever under his stewardship, is it because he did well with the Emirates and thus has been linked to us (regarding stadium development)?

Would appreciate some information...
Spirit of Shankly Membership Number 4294, Reclaim the Kop!  The King's Men

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1971 on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:00 pm »
What rumour? Some Twitter shite? Please, please, please, can we stick to discussing the actual story not some fantasy Twitter bollocks.

Was stephen1martin who tweeted it though. Gives it creedence. To an extent.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #1972 on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:47 pm »
Juan Loco laying down some truth.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1973 on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:51 pm »
Big day then.

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:53 pm »
Why is everyone suggesting David Dein?  I've no knowledge of Arsenal's finances or whatever under his stewardship, is it because he did well with the Emirates and thus has been linked to us (regarding stadium development)?

Purely because he was seen with club staff during the game the other night. That is all.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:56 pm »
FSG will be putting their hands in their pockets for tens of millions of pounds again this summer.  The question for them is do they trust Comolli to spend it wisely.  The answer clearly is no.  That is all that has happened.

Offline masch

• potato
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1976 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »
Why the fuck are you even mentioning Kenny becoming DOF? I assume you've read the interview so what is the point?

The difficulty though, is that quite often people say one thing in public when the reality is quite different.  How often does the "'We have every confidence in our manager' .. 1 week later .. he's sacked" scenario happen.  Hence pretty much all speculation is valid, and also therefore pretty much all hypothesising is pointless!

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #1977 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:32 pm »

He is very highly thought-of and well-respected within football.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:32 pm »
Ruthless say some, reckless says I.

Whilst people are lining up to praise them for ruthlessly dismissing Comolli for last summer, they’re missing the wood from the trees. The idea that the DoF is perhaps the most long-term role at the football club, and also that it was recklessness on their part initially to hire Comolli in that role through sheer nepotism.

Agree that it was reckless to hire him through nepotism. I also think that it was correct to sack him on the weakness of his transfer strategy.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »
Taking their time removing Brukner's profile

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/first-team/staff/peter-brukner

Offline Jonno_

• Main Stander
« Reply #1980 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »
Not disappointed that Brukner has gone.  I always felt these sports science guys were getting too much influence.

Disagree with this. Maybe Brukner isn't the man for the job, but the standard of sports science in Britain is pretty low in comparison with the U.S and Australia. The level of sport science needs to improve - players shouldn't be going to games 'tired' like they always seem to be.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1981 on: April 12, 2012, 05:34:04 pm »
Good post Juan!  Agree with the worries.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1982 on: April 12, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
Seems to me like FSG have kind of stumbled their way through running LFC so far. And perhaps are now realising
the mistakes they may have made and are trying to correct them.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline bottleandahalf

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Peace, Love and Empathy.
« Reply #1983 on: April 12, 2012, 05:34:52 pm »
Agree that it was reckless to hire him through nepotism. I also think that it was correct to sack him on the weakness of his transfer strategy.
Nepotism? Who with?
Cheers.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1984 on: April 12, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »

I could rant on this a while, but I’m arsed. I’m being asked to place faith in a long-term strategy where people are employed through nepotism, and now we’re being asked to hold faith while they correct that ‘mistake’, with another decision on a whim with seemingly no advice behind it from someone of a football background. We’ll see.

I'm guessing this is the point RoyHendo was making last week re overall strategy. They don't look like they've got the running of LFC by the scruff of the neck yet by any means. It's been 18 months. That's a worry in my book.

I still think Kenny is critical to stopping this spinning out of control. If they remove him, I'll really start to panic.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: April 12, 2012, 05:37:47 pm »
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: April 12, 2012, 05:39:00 pm »

How much influence does Ayre have do you think? (Not in the Comolli appointment)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1987 on: April 12, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »
On TTT:

Wow – night of long knives indeed

And same source has just told me that at least 3 more people losing their jobs today.

Andy Scolding – Head of Technical Analysis
John Achterberg – Frist-team GK coach
Both apparently gone

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1988 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »

Can't say I'm surprised if that happens

Offline chris.volante

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1989 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:24 pm »
Please do rant! Excellent, excellent post mate.

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
« Reply #1990 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »

Thank fuck if that happens

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:41 pm »
Nepotism? Who with?
Cheers.
Someone with a memory will be able to tell you exactly who, but he's a friend of one of FSG.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline SRAWL

• 'Spicegirls Rule All! Wooooh! Lulz.'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1992 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:00 pm »
On TTT:

Wow – night of long knives indeed

And same source has just told me that at least 3 more people losing their jobs today.

Both apparently gone

Hope that means Valero is coming back.
"We can win 4-0 but I want to win by eight. I don't like to lose. I never accept defeat". Luis Suarez

robbie9fowler robbie fowler
If these qualify now I'm gonna do the moonwalk bollocko from Liverpool to London blindfolded

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:02 pm »
It's a change in culture for the club....

Under Parry/Moores underachievement wasn't challenged. 

Here performance is being scrutinised under a microscope

Comolli and Bruckner gone what if there is no improvement

more will go then
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #1994 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »
Why Bruckner too?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:29 pm »
Great post Juan was wondering the same thing last week myself.

Offline bottleandahalf

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Peace, Love and Empathy.
« Reply #1996 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »
Someone with a memory will be able to tell you exactly who, but he's a friend of one of FSG.
Oh right, knew that. Just thought he was related to them.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #1997 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:50 pm »
On TTT:

That would be fantastic.

Offline verbal kint

• Kopite
« Reply #1998 on: April 12, 2012, 05:42:10 pm »

Billy Beane.
Somebody said recently that having Rafa as the manager means not giving a shit who you get in a Champions' League draw...........

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1999 on: April 12, 2012, 05:42:55 pm »
Hope that means Valero is coming back.

With you on that.

I asked why Valero hadn't come back before, it was around the time that Pepe was "discouraged", and was told that Pepe would ask for him to come back if he stayed....he stayed, and they hired Achterberg......really strange.