Author Topic: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent  (Read 340292 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent
« Reply #2880 on: April 13, 2012, 12:12:55 am »
sorry if I may be being dumb here... but isnt that what you want from a Director of Football strategy???

A Director of Football needs to be able to combine the elements of long-term planning and vision with football administrative duties, dealing with the financial side of things (contracts, agents) etc. Bergiristain makes more sense in that capacity.

To be fair though, it would be hypocritical of me not to mention it, because I love to point out just how fucking wasteful and bankrolled Barcelona are, Bergiristain would've been responsible for Hleb, Ibrahimovic, Henrique, Keirrison, Zambrotta, Quaresma, Caceras, Chygrynskiy et al. That's a lot of money wasted that Barcelona could afford to get away with. Although except for Quaresma and Zambrotta, I think all might have been Guardiola's targets? Either way. It's a lot of money up the wall, but you can't argue with the appointments made during that time, nor the timing of them as royhendo's quote from Graham Hunter's book points out. There's also plenty of quality signings in the same time as well. And fuck me they were successful.

My thoughts exactly

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #2881 on: April 13, 2012, 12:13:09 am »
Bruckner is completely different by all accounts. The job he's done is good and the person he put in place is moving up to take over. Comolli as gone. Bruckner is leaving at the end of the season.

Darren Burgess will take over? Where did you get that from Alan? Haven't seen it, but then there's been a lot of news today.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2882 on: April 13, 2012, 12:14:54 am »
Darren Burgess will take over? Where did you get that from Alan? Haven't seen it, but then there's been a lot of news today.

IIRC it is in the Times

Offline AisoD

• Anny Roader
  • On my best behaviour. Honest.
« Reply #2883 on: April 13, 2012, 12:15:21 am »
Bruckner is completely different by all accounts. The job he's done is good and the person he put in place is moving up to take over. Comolli as gone. Bruckner is leaving at the end of the season.
Bruckner leaving is the most puzzling dismissal made today. The paper's are saying it's down to Kenny and Bruckner not seeing eye to eye but i have no idea why FSG would choose to back Kenny ( a non medically qualified man) over Bruckner ( a well respected Doctor) when it comes to the medical care of the players.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2884 on: April 13, 2012, 12:15:26 am »
Exactly, and that's why Txiki is a dream candidate, to my mind.  Barca were going through a rough patch, brought in Laporta as president and Begiristain to do the deals, and he oversaw them bringing in Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Alves ... basically, the players that brought them right back up to the top.  Think he is the perfect candidate if we're looking for someone to come and do the same for us.

I'd love to see it, does anybody know how good his English is?

I'd assume that would be a pre-requisite to the job, seeing as our owners speak English and all our playing staff and coaching will be delivered in English.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #2885 on: April 13, 2012, 12:15:34 am »
I don't feel Cruyff would come, isn't he doing big things at Ajax right now? And out of the other mentioned candidates, Van Gaal also has a huge ego and I'm not convinced he would work well with Kenny, while Begiristain is a bit dodgy for me. Didn't Barca have massive financial problems because of deals like the Ibra swap, which has caused their current president to claim the previous management was completely irresponsible? Thought that was why Barca have sold their shirt to Qatar. Not sure he would work out in an environment that needs to be self-sustaining.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:17:46 am by Severely »
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2886 on: April 13, 2012, 12:16:48 am »

In Tony's piece in the Times.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Sissoko78

• Anny Roader
  • Pressing is the first step in attacking, no?
« Reply #2887 on: April 13, 2012, 12:17:24 am »
From the dead thread .....

The appointment of a new DoF will give us a really interesting insight into FSG's thinking and boldness.

Comolli got axed because he didn't follow Moneyball principles.  He mouthed the right things, and has a friendship with Mr Moneyball, Billy Beane, but at the end of the day there is nothing to suggest Comolli identified a market inefficiency, let alone took steps to exploit it.

The big question for FSG is do they go for:

i) another football industry insider like Comolli who says they understand Moneyball and want to apply it (and run the risk they go on their own indisciplined flights of fancy), or

ii) go for a data-driven football outsider who will definitely apply Moneyball thinking, or

iii) adopt a hybrid approach, where you appoint a football industry insider to do the glad handling, but also appoint an outsider to crunch the data and make it clear to the glad handler there's no debate about transfer strategy.

I think option ii) is most likely - FSG really believe in this type of thinking and really want to see it applied.  However, I note Werner's suggestion they might tweak the structure, suggesting iii) is a good chance as well.

It's hard to think of another football insider who could convince them they are a Moneyball true believer. 

It may be that we get someone we've never heard of before, or that comes from baseball or a non-sporting background.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #2888 on: April 13, 2012, 12:17:29 am »
I'd love to see it, does anybody know how good his English is?

I'd assume that would be a pre-requisite to the job, seeing as our owners speak English and all our playing staff and coaching will be delivered in English.

He's fluent. Chelsea have been after him previously but apparently he turned down the job because they had no clear idea of what his role would've been.

Apparently City have looked at him as well, but that sounds more rumour mongering than the Chelsea link, which most of the broadsheets reported.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #2889 on: April 13, 2012, 12:18:43 am »
That's a lot of money wasted that Barcelona could afford to get away with.
That's the key for me.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent
« Reply #2890 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:07 am »
Well I think Comolli's job was too broad, too much for one person to be in charge of. I would like to see us break that position up into two or three. Cruft knows football and if you compliment that with guys that know media, negotiating etc underneath him he could be fantastic. I'm a firm believer that guys who are as successful as Cruff has been regardless of job changes they'll always be successful as long as they are given an environment where it's possible.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2891 on: April 13, 2012, 12:20:37 am »
Bruckner leaving is the most puzzling dismissal made today. The paper's are saying it's down to Kenny and Bruckner not seeing eye to eye but i have no idea why FSG would choose to back Kenny ( a non medically qualified man) over Bruckner ( a well respected Doctor) when it comes to the medical care of the players.

That's reading to much into it. If Bruckner and Kenny don't get on then it's fairly straightforward to let Bruckner leave as there's a ready-made replacement in Burgess. That doesn't make Kenny a medical expert - and it doesn't mean Kenny is in charge of the medical care of the players.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cruyff for DOF anyone?
« Reply #2892 on: April 13, 2012, 12:23:47 am »
From that article on the BBC site Txiki Begiristain would be my choice.
Abs-Fucking-loutely
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
Re: Cruyff for DOF anyone?
« Reply #2893 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:00 am »
Sources close to Comolli indicated that he had been stunned by his sudden dismissal, having been informed by Henry and chairman Tom Werner late on Tuesday night. The Liverpool players were then told at a hastily arranged meeting at the Melwood training ground the next morning.

Clearly he did not left the club by mutual consent.

He consented to the severance package... that's mutual consent.

Offline irish musicman

• Anny Roader
    • bettersounds ireland
« Reply #2894 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:57 am »
I don't know if this has been posted in here already, apologies if it has, but I found it a very bold statement by Mr Werner

"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football"

It sounds to me like Comolli just wasn't sticking to the plan and maybe had his own agenda.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2895 on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:10 am »
From the dead thread .....

The appointment of a new DoF will give us a really interesting insight into FSG's thinking and boldness.

Comolli got axed because he didn't follow Moneyball principles.  He mouthed the right things, and has a friendship with Mr Moneyball, Billy Beane, but at the end of the day there is nothing to suggest Comolli identified a market inefficiency, let alone took steps to exploit it.

The big question for FSG is do they go for:

i) another football industry insider like Comolli who says they understand Moneyball and want to apply it (and run the risk they go on their own indisciplined flights of fancy), or

ii) go for a data-driven football outsider who will definitely apply Moneyball thinking, or

iii) adopt a hybrid approach, where you appoint a football industry insider to do the glad handling, but also appoint an outsider to crunch the data and make it clear to the glad handler there's no debate about transfer strategy.

I think option ii) is most likely - FSG really believe in this type of thinking and really want to see it applied.  However, I note Werner's suggestion they might tweak the structure, suggesting iii) is a good chance as well.

It's hard to think of another football insider who could convince them they are a Moneyball true believer. 

It may be that we get someone we've never heard of before, or that comes from baseball or a non-sporting background.

your option ii) mis-states the nature of the 'baseball outsiders' in Moneyball. They were all baseball obsessives who wanted to define and analyse the statistics and metrics in baseball. Are there any equivalents in football with that level of analysis?  And as I argued in the Moneyball thread - I don't even think that anyone has worked out the equivalent metrics in football.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline mokum11

• Main Stander
« Reply #2896 on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:43 am »
Clearly only a role as adviser on the youth system and the organisation of the club, Cruijff wouldn't take a job as director anymore because of his health and he  is busy with other stuff.

David Dein would be a better man for the job, reached great things at Arsenal.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2897 on: April 13, 2012, 12:27:05 am »
He consented to the severance package... that's mutual consent.

Exactly.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #2898 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:41 am »
Seen some brilliant spelling for Cruyff on RAWK tonight.

Offline d gorgeous one haz spoken

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2899 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:43 am »
Now I get that from a Canadian guy whose heavily involved in youth soccer in Canada, who gets it from people in and around Winter and De Clerk, (Toronto head and associate coaches) who the story goes couldn't bail out of Ajax fast enough when TFC came calling, based on Cruyff, his head games, and the poor future prospects of the club, which they blame on Johann. Therefore, he is not suitable for purpose.

You're misinformed, he's strongly in Cruyff's corner. Aaron Winter got elected in the member's council thanks to Cruyff and he made time to fly to Amsterdam each time to vote and show his support to the Cruyff camp of which he is part of.

Aaron Winter left Ajax in 2009 long before Cruyff's return.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #2900 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:58 am »

I think the institutionalisation of some kind of continuity with regard to the acquisition of players is a good thing. Managers will come and go, but having a culture and style that can be harmonised through all levels of the club from youth to reserve to first team, and identifying and getting players that fit into that style and culture, recognising things like balancing out areas where we need to strengthen, and even in the future recruiting managers who will be able to synchronise with that style and culture - to institutionalise that is a good thing.

The question then becomes how to do that structurally, and it means getting the right individual, it also means that that style and culture survives even the departure of any individual on the technical / footballing director side of things. Maybe what we need is something like a Strategic Football division or board, incorporating chief scout, a couple of wise head advisors (I'd get John Barnes in here) a Bossman who does the hustling, buying, trading, and who knits the whole thing together from youth to reserve to first team, and of course liaises closely with the manager who will be involved in the whole system.

Too many cooks to spoil the broth? Maybe. But if we institutionalise it broadly like this it can survive the moving on of individuals.

One thing is clear, getting this right isn't going to happen overnight or be easy. Despite the opportunities lost this season, I am encouraged that FSG have been decisive over this and are making changes and realise the need for them to get it right.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline d gorgeous one haz spoken

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2901 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:44 am »

It's actually Cruijff, just like it should be van Nistelrooij.. but we Dutchies use Cruyff as well to not confuse foreigners even more.  ;D

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #2902 on: April 13, 2012, 12:31:07 am »
Just asking the question. Wouldn't a DOF in an ideal world want to employ a first team coach that they choose or at least have a major role in choosing? Isn't it important that the first team coach, how they play football etc is considering in the context of how you play throughout the youth levels when choosing them?

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2903 on: April 13, 2012, 12:31:18 am »
I doubt we could afford Cruyff's ciggy and cigar bill. It would be especially unwise to go for a heavy smoker after we'd sacked all the doctors and replaced them with Home and Bargain buckets and sponges. Go for a non-smoker Tom.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #2904 on: April 13, 2012, 12:31:26 am »
was just thinking the same  ;D  don't know how many other combo's left to explore, we defo need a nickname

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #2905 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:51 am »
was just thinking the same  ;D  don't know how many other combo's left to explore, we defo need a nickname

Joehan Jowhann Johann oh f*ck it
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2906 on: April 13, 2012, 12:33:37 am »
Think Brukner's exit was more amicable. He felt his work was done and provided the framework for our future fitness regime, he does move between organisations/clubs. It would seem odd to confirm he did a great job (providing the platform for the future, etc) and sack him unlike in Comolli's case where there are clear words of him not fitting the strategy or whatever and the positive words are more for saying thanks.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2907 on: April 13, 2012, 12:33:58 am »
It's actually Cruijff, just like it should be van Nistelrooij.. but we Dutchies use Cruyff as well to not confuse foreigners even more.  ;D

Does that mean it's Dirk Kuijt?

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #2908 on: April 13, 2012, 12:34:09 am »

Always thought use were a sound bunch.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2909 on: April 13, 2012, 12:34:49 am »
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2910 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:36 am »

I know I'm just speculating, but I wonder how Newcastle's success this season, and their scouting of players from the French league at relatively low cost, performing excellently and taking them to the verge of Champions League qualification, contributed to Commoli's dismissal. Doubly so because as a Frenchman he might have been expected to have scouted or brought those kinds of players here. Speculation I know but it did cross my mind before today how Newcastle's form this season and player acquisitions would look to FSG and their appraisal of Commoli's work.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2911 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:44 am »
Txiki would be my choice of the three the Beeb mention. Has been linked heavily with Man City recently.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2912 on: April 13, 2012, 12:36:05 am »
Don't know what I've been doing all day, but have only just heard about Comolli. Quite shocked to be honest. It looks like he's the one to carry the can for this seasons poor league showing. At least the Directors are showing faith in Kenny, although you do often worry about the dreaded "vote of confidence"...

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2913 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:08 am »
I'll be showing my ignorance here but I haven't followed the moneyball thing at all, I think its about statistics?

This is of is no relevance to the current situation but it reminds me of the tale Graham Taylor occasionally recounts of Watfords rise through the divisions in late 70s/80s. (From memory) He said how some random fan was a statistic buff who'd analyzed from what parts of the pitch goals emanated from. They'd discovered a disproportionate amount came from the corner parts of the pitch and he suggested to to Taylor that he should get the ball there as soon, and as often, as possible. It resulted in Taylor adopting this approach with long quick passes towards the corner of the box and Watford being relatively successful.

Statistics eh? love em!

Offline Red Genius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2914 on: April 13, 2012, 12:39:52 am »
I'll be showing my ignorance here but I haven't followed the moneyball thing at all, I think its about statistics?

This is of is no relevance to the current situation but it reminds me of the tale Graham Taylor occasionally recounts of Watfords rise through the divisions in late 70s/80s. (From memory) He said how some random fan was a statistic buff who'd analyzed from what parts of the pitch goals emanated from. They'd discovered a disproportionate amount came from the corner parts of the pitch and he suggested to to Taylor that he should get the ball there as soon, and as often, as possible. It resulted in Taylor adopting this approach with long quick passes towards the corner of the box and Watford being relatively successful.

Statistics eh? love em!

That's actually not a bad example, it's about finding a competitive edge essentially using a formula derived from some form of statistical analysis.

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #2915 on: April 13, 2012, 12:40:08 am »
This is from Tony Barrett on the Times site, not sure what the policy is on here towards paywall content so apologies if I shouldn't have posted!

Tony Barrett
Published 29 minutes ago

Damien Comolli’s dismissal by Liverpool was as unexpected as it was eye-catching. Having taken over as director of football only 18 months ago, the Frenchman was widely viewed as a key figure in Fenway Sports Group’s vision for the club’s future, but yesterday’s surprise developments ensured that the Frenchman has already been consigned to Liverpool’s past.
With the shockwaves caused by Comolli’s departure still being felt, The Times examines the reasons why he became surplus to requirements at Anfield so suddenly and what it tells us about Liverpool’s owners and their plans for the club.

Why act now?
Two days before an FA Cup semi-final is spectacularly bad timing to make such a shocking move. But it also illustrates the extent of Comolli’s fall from grace that FSG would risk jeopardising preparations for the clash with Everton to discharge the Frenchman when his removal could have been delayed.
The reality is that within months of appointing Comolli as director of football in 2010, leading figures at FSG were already admitting privately that they had acted in haste by recruiting him as a direct result of their lack of faith in Roy Hodgson.

From that point on, the 39-year-old was battling to save his job and his fate was sealed during meetings with Liverpool’s owners in Florida and Merseyside in which they came to the conclusion that his vision for the future of the club was at odds with their own. The decision was made to act immediately and decisively to allow Comolli’s replacement the time and resources to prepare for the opening of the transfer window in June.

What does this tell us about FSG?
Somewhat belatedly, it tells us that Liverpool’s owners are ruthless and are not afraid of making controversial decisions, a message that will have been keenly felt by everyone at Anfield from Kenny Dalglish down to the players.

If FSG bought the club on October 15, 2010, yesterday was the day that it finally took control. “When it’s time to act, we need to act,” Tom Werner, the chairman, told Liverpool’s official website. By removing Comolli and Peter Brukner, the club’s head of sports medicine and sports science, the owners showed a level of authority that had previously been lacking, with a number of decisions delayed or fudged.
That just hours before Comolli was informed that his services were no longer required, he had enjoyed a lunch meeting with John W. Henry and Werner without being given any indication of what lay in store, establishes the Americans as ruthless operators.

What was the “disconnect” that led to Comolli’s downfall?
“We’ve had a strategy that we have agreed on. There was some disconnect on the implementation of that,” Werner said, adding a cryptic element to the situation. In simple terms, FSG’s vision for Liverpool was to establish a playing squad with a strong base built on the recruitment of promising young and largely unknown players.
That was Comolli’s objective but it failed to transpire with Liverpool instead signing several established Premier League players for peak prices. When that diversion from the agreed strategy failed to yield results, FSG’s frustration with Comolli grew and their concern with him was exacerbated by Newcastle United having success with a similar approach to the one that Liverpool were supposed to be following armed with the £35 million fee they received for Andy Carroll.

Did Dalglish play a part in Comolli’s removal?
Contrary to earlier predictions that there would eventually be a power struggle between the pair, Comolli and Dalglish enjoyed a productive working relationship. There was no plot hatched inside the manager’s office, Comolli’s reign was brought to an end by his superiors not as a result of a coup d’état by those with whom he worked.

Yesterday Dalglish went to great lengths to accept full responsibility for Liverpool’s signings when he could easily have hidden behind Comolli’s removal. This demonstrated both his respect for his former colleague and his determination not to allow the situation to undermine those players who had been formally signed by Comolli.

But the most significant aspect of Dalglish’s public pronouncements was that he clearly does not have a problem with working under a director of football. It is a model he prefers because the division of powers frees him up from the formal elements of management.

What does the exit of Comolli mean for Liverpool’s recent signings?
FSG has determined that Liverpool’s biggest weakness in the transfer market is a chronic failure to get value for money. Given that one of Comolli’s duties was to negotiate fees, the responsibility for this shortcoming was always going to fall on his shoulders.

The most vivid illustration of his negotiating tactics was provided by Derek Llambias, the Newcastle United chief executive, who was recorded detailing Comolli’s strategy during the talks that led to Carroll joining Liverpool for a £35 million fee.

Llambias told of how he was stunned when Liverpool made an initial offer of £30 million for the forward but still asked for a further £5 million with the full fee to be paid up front. Comolli agreed.
It is the inability to derive value, rather than the identity of the players signed, that has most irked FSG, hence its decision to dispense with Comolli and offer support to Dalglish. Comolli paid the price for paying over the odds, now it is up to Dalglish to find a way of getting more out of the players that were recruited at his request.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #2916 on: April 13, 2012, 12:40:11 am »
Does that mean it's Dirk Kuijt?

i think its Djirk Kuijt
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2917 on: April 13, 2012, 12:42:58 am »
and their concern with him was exacerbated by Newcastle United having success with a similar approach to the one that Liverpool were supposed to be following armed with the £35 million fee they received for Andy Carroll.

It really makes sense, they must have noted it ^^^

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #2918 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:13 am »
I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone say that Cruyff is from a bygone era and is old school, etc...

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2919 on: April 13, 2012, 12:45:03 am »
I know I'm just speculating, but I wonder how Newcastle's success this season, and their scouting of players from the French league at relatively low cost, performing excellently and taking them to the verge of Champions League qualification, contributed to Commoli's dismissal. Doubly so because as a Frenchman he might have been expected to have scouted or brought those kinds of players here. Speculation I know but it did cross my mind before today how Newcastle's form this season and player acquisitions would look to FSG and their appraisal of Commoli's work.
It's a possibility but to be honest I doubt Henry and Werner have been following the rest of the PL that closely!  But maybe.

Statistics eh? love em!
I actually think that's a great example of 'moneyball'.