Author Topic: The 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers  (Read 20239 times)

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:32 pm »
Jed mate.  This is a football forum not military.  It doesn't mean we don't care, its just that the main focus is in other directions - if that  makes sense.  If it is any consolation I wish to Christ I'd been there.  I'd have held the lad's hand stroked him soothed him and made him tidy (as women did).  Then I'd have beguiled the cleaver out of the fuckers hand  and slit his fucking throat.  Rest in Peace Riggers.

Sorry Maggie, it wasn't meant he way it came out. I just meant that twice in a year I have come on here to mention the pointless murder of two of my colleagues.
It wasn't a dig at anyone, sorry if that was how it came across.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 07:36:41 am »
[quote authored the red link=topic=295363.msg11674588#msg11674588 date=1369343552]
Sorry Maggie, it wasn't meant he way it came out. I just meant that twice in a year I have come on here to mention the pointless murder of two of my colleagues.
It wasn't a dig at anyone, sorry if that was how it came across.
[/quote]

Mate.  You've got nothing to apologise for and you can say what you like as far as I am concerned.  It is just so unspeakably awful that I think we are all in shock. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:44 pm »
An utter trajedy.  Can't bear to think of his suffering.  Deepest condolences to his family, friends and his colleagues.

These things take a few days to sink in with me.  Am feeling terribly upset now dwelling on his final moments.  The hatred baffles me. :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 10:38:49 pm »
An utter trajedy.  Can't bear to think of his suffering.  Deepest condolences to his family, friends and his colleagues.

These things take a few days to sink in with me.  Am feeling terribly upset now dwelling on his final moments.  The hatred baffles me. :(

I just hope he was dead when the car hit him or at least beyond all pain.  Anything else doesn't bear thinking about.  Utter bastards to do this to one of our brave lads.  I wish to Christ I could lay my hands on them.  I'd make them wish they'd never been born.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2013, 03:37:14 pm »
Condolences to his family and the whole battalion Jed mate.
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 04:56:24 pm »
Jed mate.  This is a football forum not military.  It doesn't mean we don't care, its just that the main focus is in other directions - if that  makes sense.  If it is any consolation I wish to Christ I'd been there.  I'd have held the lad's hand stroked him soothed him and made him tidy (as women did).  Then I'd have beguiled the cleaver out of the fuckers hand  and slit his fucking throat.  Rest in Peace Riggers.

I believe you would Maggie

My condolences to his Family, Friends and the Battalion. RIP lad
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:59:55 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 10:23:36 am »

However, the fight is not yet lost, there are still moves in the corridors of power to try and save this Battalion. Without getting into any political rows over conflicts, tools of the government etc. etc. can I ask anybody who wishes to try and help, to sign this online petition please. If you don't wish to that's fine, as I said I don't want to get into any slanging match over this. Thank you.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fepetitions.direct.gov.uk%2Fpetitions%2F35724&h=NAQHqO_dyAQEuivX_gBG9-ge5eEMyEpuasY-yxe1sdhgnZg

Jed, our lot are 1RTR over several generations or Royal Navy. Down to one last active serving member. He would never do in Civvie Street.  I digress.
We are trying to get our lot to sign this petition in support of you & your Regiment. They are pretty well trained regarding these requests.
We all stand together. If you have fund raising etc, I expect a post on RAWK.
YWNA

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
I believe you would Maggie

My condolences to his Family, Friends and the Battalion. RIP lad

Condolences to his family and the whole battalion Jed mate.

Cheers Andy and Vic, I will make sure everybody knows the kind words which have been passed on to me.

Jed, our lot are 1RTR over several generations or Royal Navy. Down to one last active serving member. He would never do in Civvie Street.  I digress.
We are trying to get our lot to sign this petition in support of you & your Regiment. They are pretty well trained regarding these requests.
We all stand together. If you have fund raising etc, I expect a post on RAWK.
YWNA

Thanks mate I have a couple of mates who are RTR, good lads. Worked with them a lot in Germany and had a really good Craic! We don't have a fund for battalion but I will try and find one for Riggers and post the link on here, cheers again mate.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2013, 07:39:03 pm »
Thought I would drop this in here.

Two ex-officers, both legendary, kicked out of the Tory party conference in Manchester today.

Life in the old dogs yet!!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/433158/You-are-a-disgrace-Retired-colonel-heckles-Defence-Secretary-over-Army-cutbacks

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 07:46:23 pm »

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2013, 06:29:35 am »
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

I wonder, if Kipling knew, how much his words would still ring true 121 years later?

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 11:56:24 am »
Another march is planned for today, hopefully bigger than the last one. One year on and the government continue to evade our questions over why we were elected despite not being on the original list of units ear marked for dis bandment. Hmmmm this country covering shit up? Surely not!!!

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 12:05:37 am »
An infantry battalion is made up of 3 rifle companies ( the fighting element if you like) a fire support company ( mortars, anti tanks and machine guns) and a headquarters company( chefs, signallers, drivers and store men)
On Friday, my battalion disbanded C Company, approximately 100 men scattered to the wind. So it begins, i worked with C Company in Iraq in 2006 and there were some top blokes over the years. A sad day indeed.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 12:37:21 am »
It's all getting a bit thin on the ground. But that's not the only place.
I believe the Navy only has about 23 surface ships at the moment and that's going to be reduced a bit when the GCS's replace the type 23's and the 2015 Defence review is yet to happen.
I can see at least one of the QE's  getting sold to somewhere then, perhaps France as they cancelled theirs,  and the F35 order getting reduced to about 20-30 aircraft max. It all seems pointless.
I suppose we just have to hope if the balloon ever goes up that the apparent faith in either our diplomacy or modern technology together with the support of the US is not misplaced. Shades of 1937.
I read that a Daring has been out on the Somali pirate patrol as it's the only type we have these days for deployment. A £1 Billion(!) ship sent to chase a handfull of guys in small boats armed only with AK47's and RPG's. We could bribe the buggers to not raid UK bound ships for considerably less.
I reckon there was a reason why the Jubilee only had that parade of disco boats in the Thames.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:44:41 am by The Gulleysucker »

Pheeny

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
I'm x RAF and I'm still in contact with a few serving Airmen,they are also very worried and they see no future even some unconfirmed rumours of more or less disbanding the RAF altogether and just having the Fleet Air Arm and the Army Air Corp.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 11:28:25 am »
I'm x RAF and I'm still in contact with a few serving Airmen,they are also very worried and they see no future even some unconfirmed rumours of more or less disbanding the RAF altogether and just having the Fleet Air Arm and the Army Air Corp.

Yes, discussions about dissolving the RAF rear their head every twenty or so years but this time it's possibly going to be a serious option, and soon.

While it's always comforting to think we can provide an aluminium overcast with roundals on the wings to protect any deployed ground troops, it's likely that the F35 will be the last manned fixed wing combat aircraft procured by the MOD.

But it's so expensive and has such little payload it might prove a liability against any serious opposition, rather like battleship fleets became anachronisms, egg shells largely kept in a box for fear they would get smashed.

The future will undoubtedly be unmanned attack drones and as to who operates them, that's more than likely some kind of joint or merged service.

Something will have to go if only to avoid command duplication and top heavyness.

Manned airlift capability will still be needed though supply delivery could go unmanned, and area defense, certainly for the UK, could become just land based missile or even railguns that are coming along very well indeed. (Just think, they could be stuck in a submarine too, almost like a return to big gun battlehips.)

But it's more the effect these reductions will have on Industry here in the UK that we should be planning for.

While we would all like to see a world turn its swords into ploughshares, it's just not that easy, and the reduction in what's left in the Aerospace high tech industries will be comparable to what has happened to UK shipbuilding capability over the last 50 years, pretty devastating. And once it's gone it will be incredibly difficult to get it back. Bright scientists will be forced to emigrate in even greater numbers and skills that would give our economy a chance will wither.

We need a serious national technology project that can inspire R&D innovation, inspire kids, and generate real economic and technology benefits.

Rather than spend all that money we seem to be planning to do on a high speed rail link for people to get between Manchester and London 30 minutes faster and make people like Richard Branson sitting on his Necker Island even richer, I'd much rather see it all spent on this.

I've got my Dan Dare outfit ready...you can be my Digby. ;D

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 10:27:46 am »
Jed. Mucker good to hear you doing okay, stay focussed on the 2RRF thread
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:05 am »
Jed. Mucker good to hear you doing okay, stay focussed on the 2RRF thread

I was in Cyprus a couple of weeks ago mate, there was an all pervading sense of defeat. C Company was dis banded a few weeks ago and fifty blokes left to go as early movers to the first battalion. Unfortunately I think this is one battle we will lose.

Incidentally, I was speaking with the out going Colonel Infantry last week in Lydd, i told him we were cutting the wrong battalion, he looked at the ground and mumbled something about it being political! He was a guardsman!

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2014, 12:13:18 am »
On the 5th of August 2014, in a quiet ceremony in Alexander Barracks, Dhekelia, Cyprus a handover took place between the Second Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (2RRF) and The Second Battalion The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment(2PWRR), bringing to an end the operational effectiveness of the battalion. Although we remain on the British Army's ORBAT (Order of Battle) until the 31st August, we effectively ceased to exist when our Regimental flag was lowered.

Roll of Honour

Maj J Snow
Fus T K Thomas
Fus K Canham
Fus A Tingey
Cpl D Napier
Cpl C Haughton
Fus J Hynes
L/Cpl J McShane
Fus S Whalley
Fusilier G W Foxall
Fus T Foxall
Fus A Grundy
L/Cpl M Beswick
Fus D A Meade
Fus S R Manning
Fus P Suesue
Cpl J Etchells
Fus S Annis
Sgt S Valentine
LCpl J Fullarton
Fus L Carter
Fus S Bush

Killed in the M62 Bombing 4th February 1974

Mrs Linda Haughton
Master Lea Haughton (5)
Master Robert Haughton (2)

Soldiers not killed on Operations ( Not exhaustive, just those that I knew)

Fus T Nesbitt
Capt Z Speakman
Capt J Allen
Fus J Wilkinson
Fus D Collins
Fus L Rigby
Fus T Emery

"They Shall Not Grow Old, As Those Of Us Who Are Left Grow Old
    Age Shall Not Weary Them, Nor The Years Condemn
At The Going Down Of The Sun, And In The Morning
    We Will Remember Them"

Offline Weescotty

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:22 am »
Sad news  :(
From an ex REME.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2014, 10:08:46 am »
Sad news  :(
From an ex REME.
Yes it is, sorry to hear that it's finally happened Jed.

At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2014, 10:37:32 am »
Yet another one gone.

Even heard talk about a study into the disbanding of the RAF and just having an Amy Air Corp.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:18 am »
Yet another one gone.

Even heard talk about a study into the disbanding of the RAF and just having an Amy Air Corp.

I heard that too Tony, that the RAF was only a 100 year experiment or some other such bollocks! I cant see it to be honest, it would mean incorporating, not just the airframes and pilots, but also all ground trades into the Army and Royal Navy ( can you imagine telling some 54 year old Chief Tech he was now in the army!!!)

However, what I can see happening more is when we get the F35 (in about 2045 the way it's going) is more crews able to deploy on the Aircraft carriers,( in about 2045, the way that is also going!) with the Fleet Air Arm.

None of it makes sense to me, the Politicians really have no idea and the senior Officers who are advising them are too scared to stick their necks out and say it how it is and look after their blokes. In 25 years I can honestly say I have never seen morale so low!!

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »
I heard that too Tony, that the RAF was only a 100 year experiment or some other such bollocks! I cant see it to be honest, it would mean incorporating, not just the airframes and pilots, but also all ground trades into the Army and Royal Navy ( can you imagine telling some 54 year old Chief Tech he was now in the army!!!)

However, what I can see happening more is when we get the F35 (in about 2045 the way it's going) is more crews able to deploy on the Aircraft carriers,( in about 2045, the way that is also going!) with the Fleet Air Arm.

None of it makes sense to me, the Politicians really have no idea and the senior Officers who are advising them are too scared to stick their necks out and say it how it is and look after their blokes. In 25 years I can honestly say I have never seen morale so low!!

Mate I'm in the NHS and it's exactly the same.  The government are ruining the fucking lot.  Unrealistic targets set by people who dont have a clue.  Something has got to give.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2014, 08:24:44 pm »
Mate I'm in the NHS and it's exactly the same.  The government are ruining the fucking lot.  Unrealistic targets set by people who dont have a clue.  Something has got to give.

What though? I may have a very simplistic view of the NHS, but I was led to believe that we paid National Insurance to cover the cost of medical bills, medicine etc. Now, I have to pay for prescriptions (actually I don't, but will when I leave the army!) or for parking in the hospitals ( are they not mine anyway?) and even for Dentist work. Well where has that money gone? I know bizzies who are saying the same thing and leaving in their droves, ambulance stations and A&E departments closing yet we are still paying the same for less service.

It seems to me that someone somewhere is skimming the cream, and then some. So what can be done? Who can be trusted? I don't want to get this into a political argument (although it quite clearly is) but you are right, something needs to change!

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:49 am »
To be fair to hospitals the car parks are usually under private companies as I have to pay for parking where I work. To make matters worse any money or fines go to the company not the nhs but it means its one less thing on pay role for the nhs which is all they seem to care about at the minute. Doing as much with as little is the motto they are pushing and as we speak they have us on a consultation period to get paid less for out of hours (we are paid less than a lot of other hospitals) and work more shifts! I already average 6 or 7 days a week so fuck knows what the want there. Its to the point where im looking at working elsewhere away from public sector despite a degree in what I do. With working towards a masters. And this may sound big headed but I believe its true, they will be losing one of the best employees around. But im not the only one thinking this either and its at the detriment to no one but the public. Same as with whats happening with the forces. An you may not want to turn it into a political debate but it is nothing but. They are the ones in charge and the ones making the cuts and expecting more out of the service with the little they have. And with my job it is coming from the bottom line. No managers suffering. Despite my personal belief that theres too many. And other things have gone like porter numbers have been cut. Its that bad we thankfully have a union in who are doing alright by us.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:34:29 am by macca007 »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 06:26:40 pm »
Condolences for the loss of your comrade Jed.  Please keep us updated on this very sad matter.