Author Topic: CRICKET World Cup 2019 in England and Wales  (Read 130123 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CRICKET World Cup 2019 in England and Wales
« Reply #3760 on: July 12, 2019, 01:34:38 pm »
This is the key. If Nz bat first and Taylor and Williamson bat a lot of overs together, their total score is likely to be at least competitive. With runs on the board, Boult, Henry and Ferguson will fancy their chances of making early breakthroughs and putting England behind the rate in the first few overs.

As we've been saying most of the tournament winning the toss and batting first has been key and this will be especially true at Lord's which seems to be more of a batting pitch. Yesterday the Aussie's didn't take advantage of winning the toss and batting but most of that was down to the England attack executing their plans to perfection - they bowled good lengths and in the right areas, something they didn't do quite as well at Lord's last time. In theory England should have too much for New Zealand but anything can happen in a one of game especially at Lord's which hasn't been England's favourite ground in terms of results.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3761 on: July 12, 2019, 01:38:02 pm »
In a one off game anything can happen. NZ do have the players to post a big score, but for one reason or another they haven't done so this World Cup. All it takes is for Guptill to middle a couple, see off the new ball and suddenly it is differnt for them. He can be as destructive as any limited overs batsmen in the world.

For NZ to win they almost certainly need to bat first and get 300 and above. I don't see them chasing that score, and I don't see England posting anything less than that if they bat first. Chasing 300 for England would still be tough in final but you'd fancy them.
I’d forgotten how well Guptill played in 2015. Has he even made a 50 in this WC? As you say, if he comes off then they could get a big score. Problem for Williamson and Taylor is, they are coming in at sub 30-2 most of the time and there’s no platform so they have to be cautious. Imagine coming in at 120-0 like Root and Morgan did yesterday, completely takes the pressure off.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3762 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:08 pm »
As we've been saying most of the tournament winning the toss and batting first has been key and this will be especially true at Lord's which seems to be more of a batting pitch. Yesterday the Aussie's didn't take advantage of winning the toss and batting but most of that was down to the England attack executing their plans to perfection - they bowled good lengths and in the right areas, something they didn't do quite as well at Lord's last time. In theory England should have too much for New Zealand but anything can happen in a one of game especially at Lord's which hasn't been England's favourite ground in terms of results.
Indeed, Lords isn’t the scene of many great English triumphs in recent years. One thing about Lords is the pitch often plays differently. Limited overs final last year saw both sides get 300 however there are countless examples of teams being skittled cheaply, particularly under cloudy skies. I remember Ashley Cowan bowling Warwickshire out for a low score back in the day. Pakistan only got 180 I think in the 99 final.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #3763 on: July 12, 2019, 01:55:50 pm »
Pakistan only got 180 I think in the 99 final.

132 only.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3764 on: July 12, 2019, 02:00:40 pm »
132 only.
Was it? Wow, don't remember it being so low.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3765 on: July 12, 2019, 02:05:49 pm »
Indeed, Lords isn’t the scene of many great English triumphs in recent years. One thing about Lords is the pitch often plays differently. Limited overs final last year saw both sides get 300 however there are countless examples of teams being skittled cheaply, particularly under cloudy skies. I remember Ashley Cowan bowling Warwickshire out for a low score back in the day. Pakistan only got 180 I think in the 99 final.

So far we've had four fixtures at Lord's with two scores over 300 - both from Pakistan. Australia have scored a 243 and 285 there, so I'm expecting a reasonable batting track - the lowish score of 243 was against New Zealand!!
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3766 on: July 12, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »
The moral of the story is don't piss away your reviews then.

I agree to an extent. However, that's a piss poor excuse and cheap get out for the umpire being a joke in that instance. You can't give somebody out after hearing and seeing absolutely nothing but then say "well don't waste your review next time". That's not how it's supposed to work.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #3767 on: July 12, 2019, 02:20:51 pm »
Was it? Wow, don't remember it being so low.

The worst cricket world cup final in history by some distance.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3768 on: July 12, 2019, 02:29:48 pm »
I agree to an extent. However, that's a piss poor excuse and cheap get out for the umpire being a joke in that instance. You can't give somebody out after hearing and seeing absolutely nothing but then say "well don't waste your review next time". That's not how it's supposed to work.

To be fair generally the umpiring in cricket has been arguably the best in any sport but they will still make the odd clanger which is why the excellent drs system was brought in. DRS has been a huge success and one of things it's highlighted is just how many decisions the umpire's get right. They've reduced the number of reviews and options for players because they were taking the piss. We all know the score now including the players, the umpire's will still make mistakes but on the whole they are of a good standard.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3769 on: July 12, 2019, 04:06:58 pm »
Here’s that scorecard from the Surrey v Lancs game in 93. Check out the fall of wickets! Some stellar names in both teams though, those were the days.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8642/scorecard/491476/surrey-vs-lancashire-1st-round-benson-&-hedges-cup-1993

What a card! Astonishing collapse. And like you say, some names to conjure with.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3770 on: July 12, 2019, 04:08:50 pm »
I'm meant to be playing cricket on Sunday. The team is currently polling the XI to see whether we should cry off and watch the Final. Unheard of behaviour. But so is England in the Final. I voted to cry off. Am I evil?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3771 on: July 12, 2019, 04:31:06 pm »
I'm meant to be playing cricket on Sunday. The team is currently polling the XI to see whether we should cry off and watch the Final. Unheard of behaviour. But so is England in the Final. I voted to cry off. Am I evil?

Hope you're not considering a 'contrived result' in order to finish early and watch the match?  ;)

Contrived cricket - The more legitimate form of 'match-fixing'

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/contrived-cricket-the-more-legitimate-form-of-match-fixing

I have a golf comp on Sunday so will probably miss most of the game unfortunately.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3772 on: July 12, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »

Nearly 30 years since the last time England were in a final. The great thing about sunday cricket is that there's always next sunday.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3773 on: July 12, 2019, 04:42:14 pm »

The opposition will be doing the same, I imagine.  It’ll be a game of chicken to see who cries off first,  officially concedes the game and loses points (if points are at stake).  If it’s a friendly then just sack it off, it’s a once in a lifetime situation.

It’s a situation that is probably being repeated all over the country.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3774 on: July 12, 2019, 04:46:51 pm »
Nearly 30 years since the last time England were in a final. The great thing about sunday cricket is that there's always next sunday.

My argument precisely.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3775 on: July 12, 2019, 04:48:18 pm »
The opposition will be doing the same, I imagine.  It’ll be a game of chicken to see who cries off first,  officially concedes the game and loses points (if points are at stake).  If it’s a friendly then just sack it off, it’s a once in a lifetime situation.

It’s a situation that is probably being repeated all over the country.

It's been suggested that we turn the match in to a 20/20 and watch the second innings of the Final together in a pub. The main problem with that is that we hate them and they hate us.....

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3776 on: July 12, 2019, 04:55:37 pm »
It's been suggested that we turn the match in to a 20/20 and watch the second innings of the Final together in a pub. The main problem with that is that we hate them and they hate us.....

Could be a beautiful moment, two long time bitter enemies uniting in a common cause over a couple of pints.

Either that or at the end of the game tell them where it is you’re going and then fuck off to a different pub...!

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: July 12, 2019, 04:58:42 pm »
Could be a beautiful moment, two long time bitter enemies uniting in a common cause over a couple of pints.

You don't know these wankers!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: July 12, 2019, 04:58:58 pm »

Either that or at the end of the game tell them where it is you’re going and then fuck off to a different pub...!

Like Celtic and Rangers fans when Scotland play England at Football.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: July 12, 2019, 05:06:35 pm »
Like Celtic and Rangers fans when Scotland play England at Football.

I don't know what happens these days, but at Hampden the two tribes continued to occupy opposite ends when Scotland played. I suppose we could drift to different bars.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3780 on: July 12, 2019, 05:20:31 pm »
You don't know these wankers!

Sounds like the 5th Benitle’s mob?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3781 on: July 12, 2019, 05:24:01 pm »
I don't know what happens these days, but at Hampden the two tribes continued to occupy opposite ends when Scotland played. I suppose we could drift to different bars.

I was surprised when I heard the story about them being 'mates' for a game against England but it was told to me by glaswegian bloke who used to work for me, as you say things do change over time. He was a sound bloke and used to make me laugh with some of the stories he'd come out with about Glasgow, dead dry sense of humour. I remember taking a day off from work to watch Lancashire play in a one day game at Old Trafford and when I got back in, he asked me where I'd been. When I said I'd been to the cricket, he frowned and looked at me with disdain and said 'The only blokes I see playing cricket in Glasgow are wearing turbans!', cracked me up that, sounds even funnier in glaswegian.
 ;D     

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3782 on: July 12, 2019, 11:03:51 pm »
If your league are sensible they'll call all games off this Sunday

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #3783 on: July 14, 2019, 08:28:19 am »
Rain around first up today. Looks a bowl first kind of morning

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3784 on: July 14, 2019, 08:48:13 am »
Rain around first up today. Looks a bowl first kind of morning

If the pitch looks good they’d probably still want to bat first though. Back in the day more stock was put on having a dart with the ball if the overheads were cloudy but not so sure they do that so much any more. Bowling first on a good batting track because there are a few clouds about smacks of conservative in 2019. Perhaps NZ slightly more likely to take that route though?

Fascinating match up either way. You’d fancy England on paper but there are still some question marks about what happens if the openers go early, especially Roy. Would be nice to see Buttler come to the party today just for the fun of it. The kiwis love this kind of task, no one rocks the underdog tag quite like they do, gotta respect them for it and Williamson is all kinds of magnificent, but unless Guptill finally shows up or Taylor has a big day the batting still looks a bit light for them. Their bowling will be a step up from the group game with Ferguson back, so it could get fruity if they nip a couple out early.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3785 on: July 14, 2019, 09:38:47 am »
JFW

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3786 on: July 14, 2019, 09:56:39 am »
Probably to your dismay yorky mate, I've never watched a game of cricket in my entire life. Never :) But even I'm tuning in, so I vote you're vote is the correct one.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3787 on: July 14, 2019, 09:56:56 am »
Start delayed until 10.45, toss 10.15.
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3788 on: July 14, 2019, 09:59:04 am »
as today's game is on free telly, I predict the most asked question today will be "why is england's captain irish?"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3789 on: July 14, 2019, 10:03:21 am »
Probably to your dismay yorky mate, I've never watched a game of cricket in my entire life. Never :) But even I'm tuning in, so I vote you're vote is the correct one.

Mods! Mods! We have imposter posting in our beloved cricket threads, surely that is against the RAWK rules!

;D

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: July 14, 2019, 10:05:05 am »
as today's game is on free telly, I predict the most asked question today will be "why is england's captain irish?"

Nah, It'll be about Cow Corner or Silly point or third man or the block hole?  :-X

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3791 on: July 14, 2019, 10:11:12 am »
Should be a good game.

For me England have been the best ODI team since the last World Cup. They deserve to win but either would be fitting.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3792 on: July 14, 2019, 10:15:54 am »
Should be a good game.

For me England have been the best ODI team since the last World Cup. They deserve to win but either would be fitting.

Were you surprised at how one sided the semi final was? I think getting the Aussie openers out cheapy was key.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3793 on: July 14, 2019, 10:16:30 am »
NZ win the toss and bat.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3794 on: July 14, 2019, 10:16:55 am »
well that's fucking irritating.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3795 on: July 14, 2019, 10:18:49 am »
Hopefully it stays overcast for a couple of hours, at least long enough to get Williamson and Taylor back in the shed.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3796 on: July 14, 2019, 10:19:00 am »
well that's fucking irritating.

Just bowl well and try and keep it down to a manageable target.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #3797 on: July 14, 2019, 10:21:05 am »
Must of been a tough call to make. Pitch looks green, though apparently quite dry, and the overhead conditions makes you think have a bowl. Hope it’s the right one!!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3798 on: July 14, 2019, 10:22:35 am »
Weather, is forecasted to be dry & cloudy until 5pm, then sunny intervals.
#Sausages

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3799 on: July 14, 2019, 10:22:56 am »
Were you surprised at how one sided the semi final was? I think getting the Aussie openers out cheapy was key.
It was a bit embarrassing but not that surprising. England have dominated us over the last few years. We’ve gone backwards as an ODI team with an unbalanced lineup that we still weren’t sure about going into the semi-final. We didn’t deserve to be in the final.

And yeah our openers were everything for how unsure we were about our middle order.