Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 323816 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #4040 on: February 20, 2021, 03:37:34 pm »
Yeah, I love him even though I’ve never won a penny from him. He’s just exciting to watch, he’s as likely to finish last as he is to win 15 lengths ;D

That's it exactly, it's the unpredictability of it all  ;D

Not good for your pocket but makes for some viewing.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4041 on: February 24, 2021, 12:53:54 pm »
Amateurs won’t be allowed to ride at Cheltenham. Makes me wonder what Patrick Mullins and Jamie Codd will do now. Will they be able to go pro?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4042 on: February 24, 2021, 06:01:16 pm »
Amateurs won’t be allowed to ride at Cheltenham. Makes me wonder what Patrick Mullins and Jamie Codd will do now. Will they be able to go pro?

Wouldn't think they would turn pro. They'll just have to give it a miss which is a shame, add in Derek O'Connor and those three are as good as any of the pros.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4043 on: February 24, 2021, 06:17:28 pm »
Jamie Codd and O'Connor have already said they won't go pro.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #4044 on: February 25, 2021, 02:12:37 pm »
Wouldn't think they would turn pro. They'll just have to give it a miss which is a shame, add in Derek O'Connor and those three are as good as any of the pros.

I am no expert on horsemanship but from my layman's observations I wouldn't rate Patrick anywhere near Codd or O'Connor. As you say, the latter two would not be out of place near the top of the professional ranks but I think Patrick is a bit below that level.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4045 on: February 25, 2021, 03:23:51 pm »
I am no expert on horsemanship but from my layman's observations I wouldn't rate Patrick anywhere near Codd or O'Connor. As you say, the latter two would not be out of place near the top of the professional ranks but I think Patrick is a bit below that level.

I don't agree with that, he may look a bit less stylish because of his size but I can't think of many others I'd want up on a horse if I owned one.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4046 on: February 25, 2021, 03:54:07 pm »
I don't agree with that, he may look a bit less stylish because of his size but I can't think of many others I'd want up on a horse if I owned one.

Its not about style, in fact I would have thought he is stylish enough. I just don't think he is as good a horseman as the others, I am thinking about putting a horse at a fence here, and he certainly isn't as strong in a finish.

Of course its all about opinions and sometimes we are just talking through our pockets. That may be the case here as I have had a few bad experiences with him!!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4047 on: February 25, 2021, 03:56:28 pm »
Its not about style, in fact I would have thought he is stylish enough. I just don't think he is as good a horseman as the others, I am thinking about putting a horse at a fence here, and he certainly isn't as strong in a finish.

Of course its all about opinions and sometimes we are just talking through our pockets. That may be the case here as I have had a few bad experiences with him!!

Ah sorry I read it as more of a style critique than a substance one. Yeah the other two are definitely ahead of him in that regard, but I'd say they're ahead of nearly everybody else as well  ;D

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4048 on: February 25, 2021, 07:47:23 pm »
Ah sorry I read it as more of a style critique than a substance one. Yeah the other two are definitely ahead of him in that regard, but I'd say they're ahead of nearly everybody else as well  ;D

Well a lot of them anyhow.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4049 on: February 26, 2021, 07:26:08 pm »
 On a wider point, I'm not sure why amateurs are not allowed to ride here anyhow. Its a bit mad to suggest that Patrick, for instance, is not an elite sportsman when the Riccis are happy to put him up on a horse who is strongly fancied for one of the championship races.

Edit: Which on reflection, is kind of the point that Flash was making above  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:10:44 pm by goalrushatgoodison »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4050 on: February 28, 2021, 10:48:43 pm »
Big scandal developing in relation to a photo of Gordon Elliot posing on top of a dead horse. If the photo is legit I hope he's never allowed to train a horse again.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4051 on: February 28, 2021, 10:49:35 pm »
Big scandal developing in relation to a photo of Gordon Elliot posing on top of a dead horse. If the photo is legit I hope he's never allowed to train a horse again.

It's legit

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Gordon-Elliott-statement-on-social-media-photo&prid=216026

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4053 on: February 28, 2021, 10:57:13 pm »
Was reading about it last night but wanted to see if it’s true before saying anything. Hope all his owners pull their horses and send them to Mullins and De Bromhead.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4054 on: March 1, 2021, 03:45:08 pm »
Without the phone call and the fact that somebody is taking a picture, if you just saw somebody sitting astride a dead horse that they had cared for, it might almost be viewed as a tender moment.

Yet so much appears wrong about the scenario. Firstly, why is anybody taking a picture in the first place? Secondly, why does Elliot appear to be staring at the camera. And what about the caption? They are the hard bits to explain away , it does look like he climbed astride the dead animal to pose for the picture but on the other hand why would he do this if he was talking to someone on the phone.

Fwiw, I don't buy the idea that he was giving some sort of peace sign, mostly because I thought that the peace sign went out with John Lennon, and I think anybody saying he was smiling is pushing it a little, that's a fairly neutral expression for somebody who is engaging with another person on the phone.

I think its probably bad form on the part of those involved, not just Elliot,  but possibly not as bad as some are trying to make out. I understand it looks terrible and suggests that they don't give a fuck about the dead horse but there is often very little dignity in death and that applies to humans as much as horses.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4055 on: March 1, 2021, 03:55:43 pm »
It's the optics though, the sport has to be squeaky clean these days as there are many out there who would like to do away with it.

I don't buy the excuse about the phonecall and inadvertently sitting on the horse as a natural reaction etc.

There's a fucking dead/dying horse underneath you, there's no way you just sit down on top of it without noticing.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4056 on: March 1, 2021, 04:07:53 pm »
It's the optics though, the sport has to be squeaky clean these days as there are many out there who would like to do away with it.

I don't buy the excuse about the phonecall and inadvertently sitting on the horse as a natural reaction etc.

There's a fucking dead/dying horse underneath you, there's no way you just sit down on top of it without noticing.

Yeah, cant disagree with any of that, I just think that the people involved might be a bit sanitised to this sort of thing, That's not meant as justification, there isn't any, its just an acknowledgement of a fact of life. Viewed through that prism, it was fairly bad but possibly not as bad as many will make out. Of course it could have been every bit as bad as it looks and from racings point of view, as you allude to, it doesn't really make much difference whether it was or not.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4057 on: March 1, 2021, 05:44:03 pm »
Yeah, cant disagree with any of that, I just think that the people involved might be a bit sanitised to this sort of thing, That's not meant as justification, there isn't any, its just an acknowledgement of a fact of life. Viewed through that prism, it was fairly bad but possibly not as bad as many will make out. Of course it could have been every bit as bad as it looks and from racings point of view, as you allude to, it doesn't really make much difference whether it was or not.

I don't think it matters if they are sanitised to it or used to it, it's a sickening image. Can you imagine undertakers posing for selfies and putting them on Snapchat? No of course not. It's a horrible photo and his excuse is absolutely awful. The Little Britain memes going round are so true.

Horse racing has to really work hard on its image as there are so many people who would love to see it canned. The truth is so many of these horses are magnificent animals are looked after just as well as human beings. But it is so damaging for the sport, especially with Cheltenham and the National round the corner too.

I think regardless of any investigation I'm not sure how you can justify that sort of behaviour and it affects the whole sport at the most crucial period of the year just about for jump racing.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4058 on: March 1, 2021, 06:01:55 pm »
David Menusieur didn’t mince his words on it.

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4059 on: March 1, 2021, 06:30:22 pm »
I don't think it matters if they are sanitised to it or used to it, it's a sickening image. Can you imagine undertakers posing for selfies and putting them on Snapchat? No of course not. It's a horrible photo and his excuse is absolutely awful. The Little Britain memes going round are so true.

Horse racing has to really work hard on its image as there are so many people who would love to see it canned. The truth is so many of these horses are magnificent animals are looked after just as well as human beings. But it is so damaging for the sport, especially with Cheltenham and the National round the corner too.

I think regardless of any investigation I'm not sure how you can justify that sort of behaviour and it affects the whole sport at the most crucial period of the year just about for jump racing.

It is a sickening image, it is a horrible photo and I don't think anybody will try to justify the sort of behaviour it depicts. 

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4060 on: March 1, 2021, 07:43:47 pm »
BHA have banned him from running them in Britain while he’s under investigation by the IHRB. Some big trainers must be sweating now with Cheltenham on the horizon.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4061 on: March 2, 2021, 11:42:41 am »
Horrific picture and more from jockey Rob James getting on a dead horse doing the rounds today.
If Elliott was just taking a call then he wouldn't be sat astride the horse in the manner that he is. That takes effort and thought not just a instinctive movement.
I like horse racing especially the flat where there is less chance of a horse being injured. These pictures are awful and nothing other than a ban is right imo.
bollocks

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4062 on: March 2, 2021, 01:17:45 pm »
Cheveley Park are moving them. With Gigginstown winding down and not really having any top class ones anyway this will hurt him. Morans are the key ones now, if they pull them he won’t have much moving forwards.

Envoi Allen, Quilixios and Ballyadam to De Bromhead. Sir Gerhard to Mullins.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2021, 01:21:55 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #4063 on: March 2, 2021, 05:53:04 pm »
Cheveley Park are moving them. With Gigginstown winding down and not really having any top class ones anyway this will hurt him. Morans are the key ones now, if they pull them he won’t have much moving forwards.

He’s destroyed all the hard work he’s done getting to the top. His explanation rings true, but it’s nowhere near enough. Worse by far is the damage done to the image of NH racing with non racing folk in the general public. The antis will be getting on their high horse big style.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4064 on: March 2, 2021, 06:01:19 pm »
He’s destroyed all the hard work he’s done getting to the top. His explanation rings true, but it’s nowhere near enough. Worse by far is the damage done to the image of NH racing with non racing folk in the general public. The antis will be getting on their high horse big style.

I think the first ‘explanation’ made things worse and got peoples back up even more. If he’d just put his hands up and said he’d made a monumental mistake that he’ll live with forever people might have gone easier on him. If somebody advised him they didn’t do a very good job.

I have little sympathy for him and hope his good horses are moved but I hope he’s at least left alone when the investigation is done and I feel sorry for all the stable staff that do care for them day in day out that are just seeing them ripped away from them. It’s a sorry story all round, no winners and a ton of losers.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #4065 on: March 2, 2021, 06:25:39 pm »
I think the first ‘explanation’ made things worse and got peoples back up even more. If he’d just put his hands up and said he’d made a monumental mistake that he’ll live with forever people might have gone easier on him. If somebody advised him they didn’t do a very good job.

I have little sympathy for him and hope his good horses are moved but I hope he’s at least left alone when the investigation is done and I feel sorry for all the stable staff that do care for them day in day out that are just seeing them ripped away from them. It’s a sorry story all round, no winners and a ton of losers.

Yep, agree with all that. We both know as keen racing fans just how devoted the lads and lasses are - unsung heroes who don’t go into racing for fame or fortune. Let’s hope the damage done is short lived and not too damaging.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4066 on: March 4, 2021, 10:30:15 am »

They've pulled their sponsorship of the yard but not heard of them pulling their horses yet anyway.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4067 on: March 14, 2021, 09:13:28 am »
Ricci says Royale Pagaille will run in the Gold Cup. That adds another interesting element to what already is the strongest renewal for a very long time in my opinion.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #4068 on: March 16, 2021, 10:23:41 am »
Anyone excited yet?

I’ve just hand written on my bets on a bit of paper so I can tick them off (or more likely cross them out) throughout the day. I’ve come to realise that I am completely in the shit if Appreciate It doesn’t win the first. Can’t believe how many bets I’ve put that horse in!
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4069 on: March 16, 2021, 10:28:47 am »
How is horce racing still a thing?
Almost 90 dead animals in past decade of Cheltenham alone, for pretty much just entertainment and gambling purposes.
Shocking shit.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4070 on: March 16, 2021, 10:33:45 am »
Anyone excited yet?

Woke up like a kid on Christmas morning!

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #4071 on: March 16, 2021, 10:42:16 am »
How is horce racing still a thing?
Almost 90 dead animals in past decade of Cheltenham alone, for pretty much just entertainment and gambling purposes.
Shocking shit.

This is probably the wrong thread for you this week mate.

Whatever your views or opinions horse racing is still a thing, where humans and horses alike still love it.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4072 on: March 16, 2021, 10:49:53 am »
Horses love it?
Is that a joke?

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #4073 on: March 16, 2021, 11:30:15 am »

4 of my favourite days these.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #4074 on: March 16, 2021, 11:31:45 am »
Ricci says Royale Pagaille will run in the Gold Cup. That adds another interesting element to what already is the strongest renewal for a very long time in my opinion.

It’s nice to see someone going in at the deep end. Too often in NH the top horses dodge each other by over cautious trainers
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #4075 on: March 16, 2021, 12:43:25 pm »
Horses love it?
Is that a joke?

It's best kept to a different thread given the week that's in it or at least let Cheltenham pass to discuss this. It's like the world cup final on seven times a day for four days and there are far more race lovers than haters in here so it will only derail the thread.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #4076 on: March 16, 2021, 01:11:51 pm »

Me too. Set me alarm for 7am to do a bit of graft and though ah eff this when it went off . Then I realised it's Cheltenham and the thought of drinking guiness in 6 hours I sprang out of bed like a shot.

Good luck lads.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4077 on: March 16, 2021, 01:26:49 pm »
Ballyadam missing one out made life a lot easier for Appreciate It but wowwee.

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4078 on: March 16, 2021, 01:27:00 pm »
Great start, Appreciate It blew them apart.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #4079 on: March 16, 2021, 01:29:01 pm »
Thank fuck that horse fell as I had Ballyadam EW and it's in a trixie too.

Edit.

I've got it in an ew treble too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:41:24 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .