Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 865083 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7760 on: February 15, 2019, 04:43:44 pm »
The Redmi Note 7 is meant to be amazing, I love the photos!

If I remember right, Energizer said they had to "downsize" the battery from ca. 21000mAH because of heating concerns.

Fifty odd days standby seems okay to me! Will wait for the GSM Arena review. I'm a sucker for battery life AND no notch...

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7761 on: February 15, 2019, 04:49:10 pm »
im not sure it would last that long

they always have mad figures like 30 days (yeah maybe if you dont touch the phone for a month and turn off internet)

but it will be a game changer
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7762 on: February 15, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
I get about two days off my rooted Oneplus 5, I don't selfie or watch videos so I would probably get a decent amount of time! But I never buy phones without a review.

GSM Arena said aboot it:

You can take this on extended trips away from the power grid, the phone promises up to 4 days of music playback (non-stop), 2 days of video or up to 50 days of standby.

The phone supports 18W quick charging (USB Power Delivery 2.0), vital for battery capacities of this size. You can also use the P18K as a power bank and charge other phones and accessories.

My Oneplus 5 USBC port is effed so the next phone I get, I want wireless charging, mind.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7763 on: February 15, 2019, 06:15:23 pm »
im not sure it would last that long

they always have mad figures like 30 days (yeah maybe if you dont touch the phone for a month and turn off internet)

but it will be a game changer
I don’t think it will be at all.

People have sown that battery life isn’t the biggest concern over the last few years.  People are happy to charge daily or more.

I suspect it will sink without a trace.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #7764 on: February 18, 2019, 10:16:12 pm »
Going to need to start looking for a new smartphone. Got a Lenovo P2, so the battery life is probably more important than all the latest features. Got a budget of around £250. I'm on a SIM only deal so would want to buy the phone outright. Has anything been recently launched in my price range?

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7765 on: February 20, 2019, 07:06:49 am »

People have sown that battery life isn’t the biggest concern over the last few years.  People are happy to charge daily or more.

Sorry, this is way off the mark. People have repeatedly indicated that they would gladly sacrifice thinness for larger battery capacity in different polls.

https://www.businessinsider.com/poll-shows-people-want-thicker-smartphones-with-better-battery-life-2015-3?IR=T
https://www.zdnet.com/article/battery-vs-thinness-the-choice-is-clear/

This is reasonably handy for a phone with such a huge battery. I for one am looking forward to buying this. Imagine the long hours on PUBG or Netflix without needing to charge.
Phuk yoo

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7766 on: February 20, 2019, 09:42:24 am »

it wont sink without a trace, not a chance
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7767 on: February 20, 2019, 02:29:25 pm »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7768 on: February 20, 2019, 08:17:14 pm »
Samsung Galaxy S10 is out today. Always bewilders me how little coverage they get compared to Apple events.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7769 on: February 20, 2019, 08:34:48 pm »
Samsung Galaxy S10 is out today. Always bewilders me how little coverage they get compared to Apple events.

It sort of makes sense in that there's only that one event for ios fans, whereas there's dozens of interesting releases a year from the various big android oems, this is just the first of this year's flagship announcements, albeit from the biggest company.

It will be interesting to see how they progress with the foldable designs, by the 3rd or 4th generation they might be approaching a reasonable option and/or price, even if this first one is just a very expensive public beta.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7770 on: February 20, 2019, 10:16:31 pm »
Isn't the foldable one 2k?? No thanks  ;D

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7771 on: February 20, 2019, 10:18:05 pm »
Isn't the foldable one 2k?? No thanks  ;D

Yep, like fuck you phone companies, they are really taking the piss now

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #7772 on: February 21, 2019, 05:02:22 pm »
Ordered the 10+ today. Traded in my S8.

Hopefully here on launch day 8)

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #7773 on: February 25, 2019, 08:19:58 pm »
Can anybody recommend a good screen protector for a Galaxy S9 plus? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7774 on: February 26, 2019, 10:59:24 am »
Holy crap look at the battery on this...

I was about to get a Ulefone Armor 3 (10,000 mah rugged phone for tradespeople) but I've just seen this. Gonna need to check out if it has a lot of 4G frequencies
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:04:07 am by thechulloran »
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7775 on: February 27, 2019, 11:16:36 am »

:lmao
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7776 on: February 27, 2019, 12:13:23 pm »
i just went to look on gsm arena to read up on that phone and saw this

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7-9513.php

look at the camera!

I dint think its a true 48mp camera though, heard its interpolated to 48mp. Its truly 12mp camera.

The Redmi Note 7 Pro which will get a global version soon is the true 48mp camera with a better snapdragon processor I believe. Ill be upgrading from the Note 5 to that for sure.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7777 on: February 27, 2019, 06:24:01 pm »
I am gonna get the Xiami Mi 9!!

That Energizer one sounds boss but Jaysus it won't fit in my pocket  :D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7778 on: February 27, 2019, 06:53:20 pm »
I dint think its a true 48mp camera though, heard its interpolated to 48mp. Its truly 12mp camera.

The Redmi Note 7 Pro which will get a global version soon is the true 48mp camera with a better snapdragon processor I believe. Ill be upgrading from the Note 5 to that for sure.

I'm worried about that phone, read this...

https://www.gsmarena.com/redmi_note_7_fail_actual_durability_test-news-35742.php

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7779 on: February 27, 2019, 07:31:59 pm »

:lmao
Would make a great door stop to be fair. Definitely wouldn't do a drop test on that though, might cause an earthquake

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7780 on: February 28, 2019, 11:00:49 am »
I'm worried about that phone, read this...

https://www.gsmarena.com/redmi_note_7_fail_actual_durability_test-news-35742.php

i might get the Mi 9 myself but when anyone takes a stanley knife and a lighter to a phone no matter phone it is they will fuck it up. I have the note 5 and its excellent. Not a mark on it. I assume the note 7 pro will be of the same quality.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7781 on: February 28, 2019, 12:28:24 pm »
i might get the Mi 9 myself but when anyone takes a stanley knife and a lighter to a phone no matter phone it is they will fuck it up. I have the note 5 and its excellent. Not a mark on it. I assume the note 7 pro will be of the same quality.

Haha, yeah. I've - touched wood - never even cracked a screen, so durability doesn't worry me toooooooo much.

Notes are great phones. The only thing stopping me saving up for a Note9 is the size of the thing!! Phones keep getting bigger and bigger...

BTW, I spoke to a fella on XDA who found out you can order the Mi 9 on Amazon's Italian website

Why? Well, it isn't out til the 25th March here and VAT will make it higher!

But it won't come with a UK plug. Amused Amazon Italy send to the UK...

I've imported before, the thing to watch out for is Chinese images vs global

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7782 on: February 28, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »
Haha, yeah. I've - touched wood - never even cracked a screen, so durability doesn't worry me toooooooo much.

Notes are great phones. The only thing stopping me saving up for a Note9 is the size of the thing!! Phones keep getting bigger and bigger...

BTW, I spoke to a fella on XDA who found out you can order the Mi 9 on Amazon's Italian website

Why? Well, it isn't out til the 25th March here and VAT will make it higher!

But it won't come with a UK plug. Amused Amazon Italy send to the UK...

I've imported before, the thing to watch out for is Chinese images vs global
The Note 7 you mean? The redmi note 5 and the redmi note 7 are the same size roughly just the 7 has a bigger screen.

I love the look of the Mi 9 but the battery is turning me off. I'm wondering will the fast charging make up for it.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7783 on: February 28, 2019, 02:45:23 pm »
Meant the Samsung note 9 soz!

Yeah, the Mi 9 battery puts me off but the GSM Arena review says it ranks highly because the new snapdragon chip is more effective at how it uses the battery.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7784 on: February 28, 2019, 02:57:45 pm »
Meant the Samsung note 9 soz!

Yeah, the Mi 9 battery puts me off but the GSM Arena review says it ranks highly because the new snapdragon chip is more effective at how it uses the battery.

Yeah, I wonder about that.... 20w fast charging though, and wireless too. Looks really good for the price. I like a big phone and the Note 5 is starting to feel a bit small for me now  ;D

Still, cannot justify paying top end prices for a phone. The prices of the S10 plus is just ridiculous. Even though I'd love one.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7785 on: February 28, 2019, 06:32:06 pm »
Ahh, new 128gb Mi 9 coming my way, found a fella with the European version off ebay doing it for £449 with a warranty. (Got tons of USB plugs lying around, so not bothered about a 2 pin plug; will worry about full wattage charging later)

Happy days!

I love Samsung but the phone prices are indeed ridic. Sod going on contract too. Did order a Galaxy Tab S3 off Tecobuy I think it was a year back, for a serious discount; I just hate, hate the idea of going north of £500 for tablets or phones. (I'm on the dole, not just a skinflint!)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7786 on: April 20, 2019, 09:50:47 am »
Need to get a new Android for the missus, she's on sim only so will buy outright, up to £150, she only needs it for taking holiday snaps, phone calls and whatsapp.  She's got an LG at the minute. Any recommendations?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #7787 on: April 20, 2019, 11:49:16 am »
Need to get a new Android for the missus, she's on sim only so will buy outright, up to £150, she only needs it for taking holiday snaps, phone calls and whatsapp.  She's got an LG at the minute. Any recommendations?
I bought my son an Honor 9 lite for 119 in December. I believe the 10 lite is now out, but maybe a little more than £150. I cannot recommend the 9blite enough. It even has a finger print scanner - mad for the money.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7788 on: April 22, 2019, 12:50:01 pm »
I bought my son an Honor 9 lite for 119 in December. I believe the 10 lite is now out, but maybe a little more than £150. I cannot recommend the 9blite enough. It even has a finger print scanner - mad for the money.

Cheers - will look at both the 9 and 10. Where did you buy the 9 from?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7789 on: April 22, 2019, 10:06:11 pm »
Gone and cracked the screen on my Huawei mate 20 Pro. Anyone replaced the screen yet? I've seen prices around 300 quid which is a bit fucking silly if you ask me

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7790 on: April 24, 2019, 07:20:11 am »
Unfortunately, dsplays are the most expensive component in smartphones and the Mate 20 pro has a top of the line high end 2K Oled display.  Even a basic 1080p LCD IPS panel costs 90 -120 odd. 

Phuk yoo

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7791 on: April 24, 2019, 09:33:38 am »
Unfortunately, dsplays are the most expensive component in smartphones and the Mate 20 pro has a top of the line high end 2K Oled display.  Even a basic 1080p LCD IPS panel costs 90 -120 odd. 

Twat. Looks like taking an insurance policy out and claiming in a few months is the way forward then

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7792 on: April 24, 2019, 05:23:59 pm »
Twat. Looks like taking an insurance policy out and claiming in a few months is the way forward then

Who do you bank with as most banks now have some sort of multi cover with current accounts. I dropped my Nexus 5 a good few years ago and done the screen in. £30 excess and got my old phone sent off and received a new one within 7 days.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7793 on: April 25, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »
Who do you bank with as most banks now have some sort of multi cover with current accounts. I dropped my Nexus 5 a good few years ago and done the screen in. £30 excess and got my old phone sent off and received a new one within 7 days.

Halifax, I don't think we have all that additional cover on it. I'll get it lashed on.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #7794 on: April 27, 2019, 07:02:33 pm »
Found a good deal on mobilephonesdirect.co.uk which EE can't match, do you literally just buy it off the website and they sort it all for you if you're keeping the same network, and then just stick my SIM in when it arrives, or do I have to contact EE at all? Never used one of these sites before but the EE upgrade deals are shite.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7795 on: April 28, 2019, 08:00:25 am »
Good question that. I got a deal from buymobiles on three and always wondered how they can do it for so cheap on a 3rd party site but if you go direct the offers dont exist.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7796 on: April 28, 2019, 09:33:59 am »
Not sure about upgrades as I've never done one but I'd contact EE to make sure. Especially if you want to keep your existing number etc.

Really want to go for an S10 but the prices are eye-watering. S9 has some pretty good deals so might go for that. But I agree with the above post that it's funny how the prices between these websites and the network is night and day. Almost £200 difference.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7797 on: April 28, 2019, 10:38:32 am »
Ahh, new 128gb Mi 9 coming my way, found a fella with the European version off ebay doing it for £449 with a warranty. (Got tons of USB plugs lying around, so not bothered about a 2 pin plug; will worry about full wattage charging later)

Happy days!

I love Samsung but the phone prices are indeed ridic. Sod going on contract too. Did order a Galaxy Tab S3 off Tecobuy I think it was a year back, for a serious discount; I just hate, hate the idea of going north of £500 for tablets or phones. (I'm on the dole, not just a skinflint!)
How are you finding the mi9? How's the battery and quick charge?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7798 on: May 1, 2019, 03:15:58 pm »
How are you finding the mi9? How's the battery and quick charge?

I love it. I've rooted it, so beware my experience is tweaked to battery life above all else (Greenify and L-Speed), but it's the best phone I've owned.

Screen is gorgeous. Proper premium feel to the whole thing in fact. Used to be fussy about notches but honestly stopped noticing. Built in software isn't even horrible!

Battery life, well, I wasn't expecting too much as it has slightly less capacity than my old Oneplus phone but this weekend I went out on Saturday, was up til 6am, taking photos and hammering it, and made the walk of shame early Sunday afternoon with a bit of a commute. Got home, slept, woke up and still had 20% left!

That's the kind of real world battery life I love!

Quick charge is handy (official / certified Qualcomm stuff is what I use) I imported from Italy so don't even have the full wattage of the proper UK kit as I just mixed and matched off generic Quickcharge certified gear

Wireless charging is slow but by slow I mean about the length of a footie game, convenient to chuck it down and pick it up. Wear and tear on the charger slot was what did for my last phone.

Wired even through unofficial plug and Amazon Basics cable is inside an hour. Super fast.

Camera is brilliant, here's St Luke's showing off the night photography (9:46pm this past Sat, so not pitch black but not far off, I found the following shot a bit artificial but you can toggle the AI camera's effects and set it to full manual). Proper impressed, never had a phone camera useful at night before. Was half cut and this was the long mad one I mentioned, the phone lasted well longer than I did  ;D

Click for big
« Last Edit: May 1, 2019, 03:33:46 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7799 on: May 1, 2019, 06:41:27 pm »
Bought the Xiaomi Pocophone F1 at the weekend and very happy with it so far. The spec is insane for the price (128GB, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, 4000mAh battery, all for £295).

The MiUI skin takes a bit of getting used to but just needs time.