539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440631 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit Pretty much living the Orwellian future in Airstrip One
« Reply #26040 on: September 3, 2019, 10:49:08 pm »
They are fed up with being bullied by a same gang of thunderklunts. Might be the start of the tory's being able to cleanse their party of the far right loons.

That party is lost to the right. More likely it's the start of a formal split. I suspect Johnson's hoping to preempt that by packing cronies in their place.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #26041 on: September 3, 2019, 10:50:03 pm »
It means they cannot represent the Tory party, but they can stand as Independents.

Means the Tories will have 294 MPs, means the opposition benches with all the other party's would have total of 297 MPs.
#Sausages

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #26042 on: September 3, 2019, 10:50:27 pm »
Interesting line from Johnson tonight...

I will get a deal form Brussels even if it’s not on the 31st October... this seems to have been missed .... he’s just admitted he won’t get to leave then....

Hmmmm

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #26043 on: September 3, 2019, 10:50:29 pm »
::)

I hope that doesn’t affect anything tomorrow.

I don't think they will. More and more stories are being shared at how angry the Government have made them. I have this vision of Cummings throwing Moggs across a room tonight.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26044 on: September 3, 2019, 10:50:58 pm »
Means the Tories will have 294 MPs, means the opposition benches with all the other party's would have total of 297 MPs.
Don’t forget some labour MPs are very much Brexit loonies too
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26045 on: September 3, 2019, 10:51:11 pm »
Corbyn as PM will be a sight to behold.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26046 on: September 3, 2019, 10:51:35 pm »

Yep, no way he could push anything through with those numbers. Some really interesting days ahead now.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #26047 on: September 3, 2019, 10:51:43 pm »
A Tory/BXP alliance has me worried, especially if they plan to not field candidates in the right seats as to not split their votes. Labour on the other hand have got the Lib Dem’s splitting their vote in half, and the LD increase largely being down to hoovering up dissatisfied Labour voters.

Right now Parliament has Boris by the balls, time to make the most of it.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26048 on: September 3, 2019, 10:51:56 pm »
::)

I hope that doesn’t affect anything tomorrow.
Tory loyalist sat next to Clarke on Newsnight said the same, Clarke laughed at him.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26049 on: September 3, 2019, 10:52:10 pm »
I don't think they will. More and more stories are being shared at how angry the Government have made them. I have this vision of Cummings throwing Moggs across a room tonight.
And Johnson got savaged by Corbyn... who would have ever seen that coming?

And Corbyn actually listened to labour voters.  Won’t do no deal and a public vote....

Weird times
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26050 on: September 3, 2019, 10:53:16 pm »

I will get a deal form Brussels even if it’s not on the 31st October... this seems to have been missed .... he’s just admitted he won’t get to leave then....

Hmmmm

This is Johnson's full statement.

Let there be no doubt about the consequences of this vote tonight.
It means that parliament is on the brink of wrecking any deal we might be able to strike in Brussels.
Because tomorrow’s bill would hand control of the negotiations to the EU.
And that would mean more dither, more delay, more confusion.
And it would mean that the EU themselves would be able decide how long to keep this country in the EU.
And since I refuse to go along with that plan we are going to have to make a choice. I don’t want an election. The public don’t want an election. But if the House votes for this bill tomorrow, the public will have to choose who goes to Brussels on October 17 to sort this out and take this country forward.
Everyone will know if the Rt Hon Gentleman is the prime minister, he will go to Brussels, he will beg for an extension, you will accept whatever Brussels demands and we’ll have years more arguments over Brexit.
And by contrast, everyone will know that if I am prime minister, I will go to Brussels, I will go for a deal and get a deal but if they won’t do a deal we will leave anyway on 31 October.
The people of this country will have to choose.
The leader of the Opposition has been begging for an election for two years.
I don’t want an election but if MPs vote tomorrow to stop the negotiations and to compel another pointless delay of Brexit, potentially for years, then that will be the only way to resolve this.
I can confirm that tonight we will are tabling a motion under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26051 on: September 3, 2019, 10:54:08 pm »
I don’t want to sound thick, but could someone please explain like I’m 5, exactly what’s happened?

From my understanding as of tomorrow MP’s can propose a bill to take no deal off the table for good, and the government have no way of stopping it if this is voted in?

Tomorrow MPs will try to begin the process to pass a law to force the prime minister to ask for and accept an extension to stay in the EU until 31st January. If EU offer a different date, Parliament gets 2 days to decide whether it wants to accept. If Prime Minister has passed a deal, no need for extension.

Government's best way of stopping it now is to waste time so it doesn't get through the Lords before Parliament shuts down. If it becomes law then Johnson would have to follow it or break the law. If he breaks the law then I think Parliament would first quickly legislate to remove his power to be involved in the decision so it happens without needing him. And then they'd remove him from office.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #26052 on: September 3, 2019, 10:56:41 pm »
Ah I get you thanks for explaining.

Seems progress has actually been made in this shit show.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26053 on: September 3, 2019, 10:56:41 pm »
Vicky Young at the BBC now saying the rebels will lose their whips tonight. I think the word is confusion......

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26054 on: September 3, 2019, 10:56:45 pm »
This is Johnson's full statement.

Let there be no doubt about the consequences of this vote tonight.
It means that parliament is on the brink of wrecking any deal we might be able to strike in Brussels.
Because tomorrow’s bill would hand control of the negotiations to the EU.
And that would mean more dither, more delay, more confusion.
And it would mean that the EU themselves would be able decide how long to keep this country in the EU.
And since I refuse to go along with that plan we are going to have to make a choice. I don’t want an election. The public don’t want an election. But if the House votes for this bill tomorrow, the public will have to choose who goes to Brussels on October 17 to sort this out and take this country forward.
Everyone will know if the Rt Hon Gentleman is the prime minister, he will go to Brussels, he will beg for an extension, you will accept whatever Brussels demands and we’ll have years more arguments over Brexit.
And by contrast, everyone will know that if I am prime minister, I will go to Brussels, I will go for a deal and get a deal but if they won’t do a deal we will leave anyway on 31 October.
The people of this country will have to choose.
The leader of the Opposition has been begging for an election for two years.
I don’t want an election but if MPs vote tomorrow to stop the negotiations and to compel another pointless delay of Brexit, potentially for years, then that will be the only way to resolve this.
I can confirm that tonight we will are tabling a motion under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act.

Ah missed because he didn’t say it then ;D

What he does says is essentially that they will ignore any bill passed....

Which would be shocking.
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26055 on: September 3, 2019, 10:56:53 pm »
A Tory/BXP alliance has me worried, especially if they plan to not field candidates in the right seats as to not split their votes. Labour on the other hand have got the Lib Dem’s splitting their vote in half, and the LD increase largely being down to hoovering up dissatisfied Labour voters.

Right now Parliament has Boris by the balls, time to make the most of it.
Yeah, Tories/Brexit would win if they followed that idea. You only need to look at the by election in Wales last month, Brexit took about 4K votes away from the Tories. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Tories stand down in the north and hope Brexit can take Labour down. What happens next though? Back to Brussels for more talks?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26056 on: September 3, 2019, 10:57:30 pm »
I don’t want to sound thick, but could someone please explain like I’m 5, exactly what’s happened?

From my understanding as of tomorrow MP’s can propose a bill to take no deal off the table for good, and the government have no way of stopping it if this is voted in?
Today - opposition have voted to seize control of timetable tomorrow, to discuss and vote on...
Tomorrow - a bill forcing Johnson to seek an extension if a deal is not secured at EU summit 17th October and MPs don't then say "ok, let's leave without a deal (not happening)…

But - Johnson will seek a general election; first under Fixed Term Parliaments Act requiring 2/3 majority - Labour to oppose, as he could shift the date to post-31/10. Second, he could try to do so with a ludicrously simple bypassing of the FTPA (which calls into question the point of it), with a simple majority - but that is open to amendments. Finally he could table a vote of no confidence in himself, which might result in an election, but might lead to a Government of National Unity instead. And, possibly, cancel prorogation...

And... stuff.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26057 on: September 3, 2019, 10:58:24 pm »

Daniel Hewitt

@DanielHewittITV

Winston Churchill’s grandson Nicholas Soames says he’s been told by the Chief Whip that tomorrow he’ll have the Conservative whip removed.

He also confirms on @BBCNewsnight he won’t stand at the next General Election.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26058 on: September 3, 2019, 10:58:57 pm »
Interesting that this only happened as a result of them proroguing Parliament.

Thems the breaks eh?
W

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #26059 on: September 3, 2019, 11:00:12 pm »
And well played Jeremy Corbyn. Dare I say he listened to the advice of Tony Blair?

Now he should take up John’s suggestion, resign and intimate to his followers that they should vote for Yvette Cooper (or Hilary Benn) as his successor. Johnson would then be well and truly up shit’s creek.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26060 on: September 3, 2019, 11:01:41 pm »
Surely it's in Labour's best interests tactically to not back an election until an extension from the EU has been confirmed?

Passing the bill tomorrow is pointless if there's going to be an election before the 31st of October.

It won't clear the Lords until next week at best. Think Monday is the intended day for the Commons to try and deal with amendments. Once you're past 10th/11th then the election won't happen until after the European Council meeting (emergency one is possible, I suppose) on 17th October. And unless Parliament isn't shut down then there's no time to legislate to reduce the legally required time for a campaign.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #26061 on: September 3, 2019, 11:01:58 pm »
Vicky Young at the BBC now saying the rebels will lose their whips tonight. I think the word is confusion......

Ironic isn't it considering Bozo's hero is Churchill & he's about to kick Churchill's grandson Nicholas Soames out of the party. :o.
#Sausages

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26062 on: September 3, 2019, 11:02:03 pm »
Rory Stewart won't stand for re-election.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #26063 on: September 3, 2019, 11:02:13 pm »
If thats true Labour shouldn't vote for an Election and make them suffer vote after vote.

Evolve Politics
‏ @evolvepolitics
4m4 minutes ago

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has officially removed the whip from all of tonight’s Tory rebels.

The Tories are now a minority administration by -23 MPs.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26064 on: September 3, 2019, 11:03:18 pm »
Rory Stewart won't stand for re-election.
Quite surprised by that...
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26065 on: September 3, 2019, 11:03:56 pm »
Adam Bienkov

@AdamBienkov
·
9m

Government source: "The Chief Whip is speaking to Tory MPs who did not vote with the Govt this evening. They will have the Tory whip removed."

So Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is going to expel 21 Tory MPs, including two former chancellors and Churchill's grandson.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26066 on: September 3, 2019, 11:04:57 pm »
There are going to be a lot of new faces at the next election, on both sides of the house.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26067 on: September 3, 2019, 11:05:22 pm »
Quite surprised by that...
Back to MI5 :).

Big Tory majority (and without looking it up, I'd guess strongly leave), probably no point.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26068 on: September 3, 2019, 11:06:19 pm »
Ah I get you thanks for explaining.

Seems progress has actually been made in this shit show.

No worries. I find it really confusing, and a bit annoying, when people talk about 'taking things off the table' when the reality is they're kicking the can for a few months too. If this goes right, and there's no solution by end of January, it's 'no deal' time again. And that will go on until we either sign up to the Withdrawal Agreement (and then spend years deciding what sort of Brexit we want) or revoke Article 50 or actually crash out.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26069 on: September 3, 2019, 11:06:31 pm »
Even Burgon is sounding almost coherent.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26070 on: September 3, 2019, 11:07:00 pm »

Hmmmm
That is interesting. he's admitting he's talking bol.. when he says he can get a deal before Oct 31st. he doesn't look at it as a deal himself, he's demanding the EU drop the WA and we go straight into a FTA negations as pals. no deal, fancy allowing us to bring any old s.. into the EU m8. yeah no problem Boris, don't bother with all that boring red tape every country in the world uses outside the EU m8.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #26071 on: September 3, 2019, 11:07:23 pm »
There are going to be a lot of new faces at the next election, on both sides of the house.

I worry that if the Tories win they’ll have gained some people from UKIP/Brexit Party and then we really are looking at a government on the far right of the spectrum. Those “moderates” will be replaced somehow.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26072 on: September 3, 2019, 11:09:35 pm »
Back to MI5 :).

Big Tory majority (and without looking it up, I'd guess strongly leave), probably no point.

He actually said he couldn’t stand again, not that he wouldn’t... subtle difference?
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26073 on: September 3, 2019, 11:10:00 pm »
That is interesting. he's admitting he's talking bol.. when he says he can get a deal before Oct 31st. he doesn't look at it as a deal himself, he's demanding the EU drop the WA and we go straight into a FTA negations as pals. no deal, fancy allowing us to bring any old s.. into the EU m8. yeah no problem Boris, don't bother with all that boring red tape every country in the world uses outside the EU m8.
It was my mistake, ignore.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26074 on: September 3, 2019, 11:10:43 pm »
I worry that if the Tories win they’ll have gained some people from UKIP/Brexit Party and then we really are looking at a government on the far right of the spectrum. Those “moderates” will be replaced somehow.
It sounds familiar...

Moderates gone all over parliament,.. this is never a good thing...
W

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #26075 on: September 3, 2019, 11:10:56 pm »
Ah missed because he didn’t say it then ;D

What he does says is essentially that they will ignore any bill passed....

Which would be shocking.
No he didn't say that, as much of a c*nt as he is. He said if tomorrow's bill passes then he will try to call a GE, and if he wins the GE, he will "get a deal" from the EU on Oct 17, and even if he doesn't get a deal, he'll leave anyway on Oct 31. All of that being IF he wins the GE.

And remember if there's a GE then the next government will not be bound by any bill passed tomorrow. 

He hasn't yet said in the House (and thus on record) that he'll ignore any laws passed - which is not to say that he and his master Cummings aren't planning on doing so
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 11:18:27 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26076 on: September 3, 2019, 11:11:10 pm »
He actually said he couldn’t stand again, not that he wouldn’t... subtle difference?

Probably feels the Tory party has been lost to the Brexiteers now.

Offline Bootleorbust

• Main Stander
  • Not quite sorted
« Reply #26077 on: September 3, 2019, 11:11:25 pm »
Thank, God!

I don’t think I’ve ever been so worried about a political issue as Brexit to the point of having to stop reading the Guardian on-line so much. Today,though, I knew what was going on in the House of Commons unable to think of anything else and getting very scared at the prospect of No Deal.

I have a chronic relapsing health condition. I know the potential harms that could befall me if my medication supply is suddenly interrupted because of a hard Brexit.l And what would this mean for my 95 year old mother. I’m her sole carer, reliant on state benefits. How would she manage if I have to work and she’s on her own all day every day?

There must have been millions of people wondering similar things....Though round here in an area which voted heavily ‘Leave’, perhaps not so many.

Sometimes I find myself in a local supermarket staring at the locals going about their everyday lives seemingly unaware of what could be coming: emaciated public services, harsher working conditions, more austerity and a yet more fractured social fabric.

As Ian Dunt has said, Brexit is a bloody stupid idea.

Obviously, the way forward isn’t that clear but at least the Remainers have landed a blow on the disaster capitalists in the Johnson cabinet. Fucking traitors the lot of them!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26078 on: September 3, 2019, 11:11:57 pm »

Could say the same with Labour, but let's worry about that when we get there. Some weirdos got elected in 2017  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #26079 on: September 3, 2019, 11:12:04 pm »

This is inevitable. But it ought to play into Labour’s hands, at least under normal circumstances. The line that Corbyn should use is that the Tory party is turning into a Conservative Militant Tendency - full of dangerous extremists who have entered the party from the margins. He should use the term “Militant Tendency” too.....

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.