Author Topic: Manager of the Year  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
Manager of the Year
« on: July 6, 2015, 01:07:49 pm »
I am trying to find out who won the Manager of the Year prior to when football was invented in 1992.  I have carried out various searches on the Internet without success.  We know Paisley won it.  We know Shankly won it.  We know Clough won it.  I am sure the likes of Bertie Mee, Don Review, Joe Mercer, Bobby Robson and Alf Ramsey won it, and yet I can't find a list.

I think it was awarded by the PFA, but am not sure.  It was prior to the LMA (Latest MU Application) awards

Can anyone help.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
Re: Manager of the Year
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »
Difficult to find indeed but it was officially the "Bells Whisky Trophy for Manager of the Year " or "Bell's Scotch Whisky Cup",  then later sponsored by Barclays Bank which helps with the search !! This is what I managed to find so far ....

"Other happy memories are at the end of each season we attended the Bells lunch which was always held the day before the traditional England v Scotland game.

So one year it would be in London, the next year in Scotland.

On those occasions the guest of honour would announce the four divisional managers of the year."

Lawrie McMenemy from   http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/1348574.Why_drinking_whisky_is_a_bad_idea_____/

The Manager of the Year Awards were first held in 1969 according to  The Little Red Book of Liverpool FC  , yet I found a photo of Matt Busby with a different (pyramid shaped) trophy from 1968 . Can't find any more info !!

Bob Paisley won it the most times !!

(Here in 1982)

Shankly won it too of course  !! (1973)

Joe Fagan in 1984 ...

King Kenny in 1986 ...

Kenny in 1990 ...

1968       Matt Busby     (Man Utd)

1969        Don Revie      (Leeds United)

1970        Don Revie      (Leeds United)

1971        Bertie Mee     (Arsenal)

1972        Don Revie      (Leeds United)

1973        Bill Shankly    (Liverpool)

1974        Jack Charlton (Middlesbrough)

1975        Ron Saunders (Aston Villa)

1976        Bob Paisley    (Liverpool)

1977        Bob Paisley    (Liverpool)

1978        Brian Clough   (Nottingham Forest)

1979        Bob Paisley   (Liverpool)

1980        Bob Paisley    (Liverpool)

1981        Ron Saunders ? (Aston Villa) , Bobby Robson (Ipswich Town ) ?

1982        Bob Paisley    (Liverpool)

1983        Bob Paisley    (Liverpool)

1984        Joe Fagan      (Liverpool)

1985        Howard Kendall    (Everton)

1986        Kenny Dalglish     (Liverpool)

1987        Howard Kendall    (Everton)

1988        Kenny Dalglish     (Liverpool)

1989        George Graham    (Arsenal)

1990        Kenny Dalglish     (Liverpool)

1991        George Graham    (Arsenal)

So Bob with 6 trophies and Liverpool managers with 11 out of 22 on what I could find so far !!

No trophy here (except the important ones ;)  )  but look at the amount of Manager of the Month gallon bottles Bob's won  ;D

« Last Edit: July 6, 2015, 10:32:07 pm by mersey_paradise »
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2015, 06:47:22 pm »
Even better photos of Shanks with the trophy in 73 ...

Man of the People !!

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Andy G

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2015, 07:47:40 pm »
Fantastic, thanks for that.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2015, 07:52:01 pm »
Fantastic, thanks for that.

Haha , my pleasure - once I got started I couldn't stop  ;D

Should probably go in the main Liverpool thread now , being as we won it so often and there's so many photos !!  :D

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »
Looks like Jock Stein won it in 1966 , with Shankly runner-up maybe ?  You can see the different trophy - perhaps it was British Manager of the Year previously ?

Or maybe Shankly won the English version and Stein the Scottish award ? Anyone know ? Anyone care ? ;D

"Liverpool Exchange MP Bessie Braddock (c) presents the two winning managers, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly (l) and Celtic’s Jock Stein (r), with their cheques for £500 and £1000 respectively as Stein holds onto his Manager of the Year trophy. 16/6/1966."

He won it again in 1967 ...

"Bill Nicholson presents Jock Stein with 1967 manager of the years award"

And Matt Busby in 1968 ...

« Last Edit: July 6, 2015, 08:40:24 pm by mersey_paradise »

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2015, 09:11:03 pm »
Love the grin  ;D

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2015, 09:16:07 pm »
Bob congratulating Clough in 1978 ...

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2015, 09:20:43 pm »
Here, Shankly lights Paisley a cigar after his successor was named Manager of the Year in 1976.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2015, 09:38:41 pm »

Really?

Offline Andy G

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 6, 2015, 10:03:05 pm »

Really?

Challenger of the Year!!!

Love the grin  ;D

Fantastic pics there Mersey_Paradise.  Thanks for posting.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2015, 10:07:19 pm »

Really?

Apparently so !! ...

"Jack was quickly offered the job as manager of Middlesbrough and he led them to promotion back to the top flight in his first season by such a considerable margin that he was given the Manager of the Year Award, an honour never before bestowed on a boss from outside the top division."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/history/sport/9100207.Inspiring_players____return_to_top_flight/

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 6, 2015, 10:11:11 pm »
Anyone find if Ron Saunders won it in 81 for Villa ?  - can't find anything .

Apparently he won it as a second-division manager  in 75 with Villa , winning the League Cup in addition to the second division title ..

« Last Edit: July 6, 2015, 11:17:04 pm by mersey_paradise »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: July 6, 2015, 10:17:49 pm »
Great pictures.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Andy G

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 6, 2015, 11:28:48 pm »
Bob congratulating Clough in 1978 ...

Brian Clough had the utmost respect for Liverpool, but he always hated Man United.  I know that because his lovely wife; Barbara, told me. 

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 09:52:32 pm »
A timely bump for those wondering what years Jurgen was referring to when he talked of Shanks, Bob and Joe winning  it. ( Worth the bump alone for the Shanks photos lighting Bob's cigar, also with the slightly alarming ginger mutton chops bloke and with Jock Stein and the equally legendary Bessie Braddock)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 12:13:33 pm »
Has Pep exploded yet? ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jcd

• Boys Pen
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 10:56:08 pm »
The Barclays Manager of the Year trophy is in the National Football Museum. Looks to be in fairly bad nick, especially considering it should have been fairly fresh when "retired"! Has all the winners on it from 1965-1993

https://www.nationalfootballmuseum.com/collections_detail/barclays-manager-of-the-year-trophy-1965-1993/

If I've made out the engraving right the winners were...

1966 Jock Stein
1967 Jock Stein
1968 Matt Busby
1969 Don Revie
1970 Don Revie
1971 Bertie Mee
1972 Don Revie
1973 Bill Shankly
1974 Jack Charlton
1975 Ron Saunders
1976 Bob Paisley
1977 Bob Paisley
1978 Brian Clough
1979 Bob Paisley
1980 Bob Paisley
1981 Ron Saunders
1982 Bob Paisley
1983 Bob Paisley
1984 Joe Fagan
1985 Howard Kendall
1986 Kenny Dalglish
1987 Howard Kendall
1988 Kenny Dalglish
1989 George Graham
1990 Kenny Dalglish
1991 George Graham
1992 Howard Wilkinson
1993 Alex Ferguson

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 12:32:45 am »
Interesting to note that, whilst the trophy has clearly undergone several changes over the years, the basic design hasn't changed all that much.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art