Author Topic: Happy Valley  (Read 21728 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Happy Valley
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2023, 09:56:01 pm »
Spoiler
What about the PE teacher? Will he report his wife dead or is he smart enough to know he’d probably be the prime suspect? Will the pharmacist get away with it? Will that storyline merge with the other one? So many people in need of their comeuppance!

As for Tommy Lee (great escape!)…he’ll surely come back for Ryan and have a showdown of some sort with Catherine.
[close]

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2023, 10:10:40 pm »
Spoiler
The PE Teacher appears to want to groom Ryan, we've only got 2 episodes for that story-line to develop.

There's deffo going to be a show-down with Tommy & Catherine and I wonder if Ryan might have to come to the rescue?
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2023, 12:54:14 pm »
Spoiler
The end has to come back to Catherine, Tommy and Ryan. Ryan torn between the two, likely with him siding with Catherine and turning against Tommy for good. Agree it probably ends with Tommy dead.

As soon as the PE teacher zoned in on that suitcase in the garage you just knew the wife's body was in there. Definitely felt like they were going down a grooming route with him and Ryan but hard to see how they fit that in now. Presumably he's going to be a bit more preoccupied with disposing of his wife's body than grooming Ryan?

Why do the gang want Tommy out of jail? If he's got info that can hurt them, they'd just get to him in prison. So clearly there's a job to be done on the outside that only he can do - but what?
[close]

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2023, 05:51:00 pm »
Spoiler
The PE Teacher appears to want to groom Ryan, we've only got 2 episodes for that story-line to develop.

There's deffo going to be a show-down with Tommy & Catherine and I wonder if Ryan might have to come to the rescue?
[close]

Spoiler
It was mentioned earlier in the series - after the teacher had been horrible to him at the football. Someone said he has a habit of being horrible then making friends. I'll have to watch back.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2023, 06:27:30 pm »
Great stuff but

Spoiler
felt a bit mad how someone can escape the Dock like that. Especially a hardened criminal. Felt like that Line of Duty episode where someone shoots their way out the police headquarters...

I think it ends with Tommy trying to kill Ryan and Catherine saves him. Maybe Catherine and Tommy both die.

As for the P.E teacher I think he might end up arrested and go down for it. Would be quite a fitting end for that scumbag
[close]
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2023, 06:54:01 pm »
Great stuff but

Spoiler
felt a bit mad how someone can escape the Dock like that. Especially a hardened criminal. Felt like that Line of Duty episode where someone shoots their way out the police headquarters...

I think it ends with Tommy trying to kill Ryan and Catherine saves him. Maybe Catherine and Tommy both die.

As for the P.E teacher I think he might end up arrested and go down for it. Would be quite a fitting end for that scumbag
[close]
;D Thats what I shouted on Sunday
Spoiler
all very Dot Cotton
[close]
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2023, 11:49:46 pm »
Spoiler
It was mentioned earlier in the series - after the teacher had been horrible to him at the football. Someone said he has a habit of being horrible then making friends. I'll have to watch back.
[close]
You're right Al, that was said, so we'll need to see what happens.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2023, 08:08:37 am »
So no more Happy Valley after these last two episodes BUT ive heard that if viewing figures are good ( and they are-beat Harrys interview the other week) that there may be a spin off commissioned by the BBC- again Sally Wainwright written and directed .

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2023, 09:03:24 am »
Great stuff but

Spoiler

[close]

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2023, 12:10:05 pm »
The guy who plays Faisal was on the Happy Valley podcast and says that they've filmed several endings so even the cast don't know how it will actually end.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2023, 10:05:17 pm »
And breathe.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2023, 09:41:44 am »
Stolen from Twitter

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2023, 11:03:54 am »
Ha!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 5, 2023, 09:46:21 am »
So tonight it all comes to an end.

Carnage will ensue I feel.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #214 on: February 5, 2023, 09:49:04 am »
So tonight it all comes to an end.

Carnage will ensue I feel.

Stick your neck out Pete!

I reckon they’ll all live happily ever after and Catherine, Ryan and Tommy will head off to the Himalayas in her Land Rover.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 5, 2023, 06:59:36 pm »
Stick your neck out Pete!

I reckon they’ll all live happily ever after and Catherine, Ryan and Tommy will head off to the Himalayas in her Land Rover.

I do have an O’level in “stating the bleedin’ obvious” :)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 5, 2023, 09:25:57 pm »
Started watching it from series 1 tonight. 

I've no idea what I thought it would be like or what it was about but it's nothing like I expected.

It's shocked me a bit 😯

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #217 on: February 5, 2023, 09:35:32 pm »
I don’t understand how people enjoy shows like this when the standard of television drama is so high elsewhere.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 5, 2023, 09:46:13 pm »
I don’t understand how people enjoy shows like this when the standard of television drama is so high elsewhere.

What because it’s not glossy enough?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #219 on: February 5, 2023, 09:47:56 pm »

You always think the shows you watch yourself are the best, but as in life everyone has a different taste. I can't say I have watched Happy Valley but I am not a great lover of detective shows although I have watched one or two.  :)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 5, 2023, 10:20:47 pm »
Spoiler
Really good I thought. Very understated and subverted expectations. Expectation was Ryan to be torn between Tommy and Catherine, not a bit of it. And the confrontation between Tommy and Catherine being verbal rather than physical.

Could have done with ten more minutes to breathe though. The stuff with the teacher and the pharmacist didn’t really pay off, and was just wrapped up with a couple of lines. Also, would have liked to have seen Ann in the finale reacting to Tommy’s death, same with Ryan.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 5, 2023, 10:30:58 pm »
Spoiler
mmmh. Not sure the desperate words of a overdosing suicidal rapist and mass murderer would be enough to convict Darius of murder in a court of law

Could have done with another episode to wrap up the Faisal and school teacher story arc a bit more convincingly
[close]

Still a decent Finale like.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #222 on: February 5, 2023, 10:39:11 pm »
Spoiler
Really good I thought. Very understated and subverted expectations. Expectation was Ryan to be torn between Tommy and Catherine, not a bit of it. And the confrontation between Tommy and Catherine being verbal rather than physical.

Could have done with ten more minutes to breathe though. The stuff with the teacher and the pharmacist didn’t really pay off, and was just wrapped up with a couple of lines. Also, would have liked to have seen Ann in the finale reacting to Tommy’s death, same with Ryan.
[/s]
[close]
Spoiler
yeah don't think they really tied all the storylines up properly.

Thought it was a good finale, although not sure she would have entered the house if she thought a psychopath has forced his way in.

It did show TLR a bit more human the episode I thought, not just a nutter
[close]
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #223 on: February 5, 2023, 10:39:49 pm »
Started watching it from series 1 tonight. 

I've no idea what I thought it would be like or what it was about but it's nothing like I expected.

It's shocked me a bit 😯
stick with it Debs

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #224 on: February 5, 2023, 10:40:49 pm »
Spoiler
Was decent up until the last five minutes. Killing TLR offscreen with a text message?

The pharmacist storyline, that let’s face it no one cared about, getting solved by Catherine in a throwaway line. Oh and the teacher was a pedo for good measure too.
[close]

It’s a decent watch on a Sunday evening but I do agree with S that there are multiple higher quality shows knocking around these days.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 5, 2023, 10:52:56 pm »
Spoiler
Was decent up until the last five minutes. Killing TLR offscreen with a text message?

The pharmacist storyline, that let’s face it no one cared about, getting solved by Catherine in a throwaway line. Oh and the teacher was a pedo for good measure too.
[close]

It’s a decent watch on a Sunday evening but I do agree with S that there are multiple higher quality shows knocking around these days.

Us brits love a kitchen sink drama

I see happy Valley as a Soap with a much higher production budget.

At least HV didn’t jump the shark like Line of Duty did several series ago.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 5, 2023, 10:56:26 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Thought killing off Tommy like that was inspired. He was a nothing of a person, so he didn’t deserve a grand exit.

Teacher being a paedo was well set up, I enjoyed the storyline but it was definitely undercooked in the end. Not a patch on the season 2 secondary storyline with the murderous cop slowly losing his mind.
[close]

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #227 on: February 5, 2023, 11:00:28 pm »
Us brits love a kitchen sink drama

I see happy Valley as a Soap with a much higher production budget.

At least HV didn’t jump the shark like Line of Duty did several series ago.

Agreed completely. It’s not even a criticism; there’s some great performances in it but it’s very much reaction driven, trying to get people talking/tweeting about it. Sometimes you just have to switch your brain off and enjoy popcorn television.

So no I didn’t love the finale, but yes it was far better than Line Of Duty’s send off.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #228 on: February 5, 2023, 11:06:04 pm »
Spoiler
Thought killing off Tommy like that was inspired. He was a nothing of a person, so he didn’t deserve a grand exit.

Teacher being a paedo was well set up, I enjoyed the storyline but it was definitely undercooked in the end. Not a patch on the season 2 secondary storyline with the murderous cop slowly losing his mind.
[close]

Spoiler
He might have been nothing of a person, but he was a domineering character in the show. To kill him off screen after 3 seasons of his name being mentioned every other sentence is half cooked.

Not sure how the teacher being a paedo was well setup either. We had one shot of him looking at Ryan’s arse and another mention that he made friends with kids after bullying them. It had very little link to the main storyline and just seemed tagged on. Each to their own but I think the fact he was a wife beater was plenty bad enough, without just chucking that storyline in at the last moment.
[close]

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #229 on: February 5, 2023, 11:12:01 pm »
Spoiler
He might have been nothing of a person, but he was a domineering character in the show. To kill him off screen after 3 seasons of his name being mentioned every other sentence is half cooked.

Not sure how the teacher being a paedo was well setup either. We had one shot of him looking at Ryan’s arse and another mention that he made friends with kids after bullying them. It had very little link to the main storyline and just seemed tagged on. Each to their own but I think the fact he was a wife beater was plenty bad enough, without just chucking that storyline in at the last moment.
[close]
Spoiler
to be fair he did set himself on fire, hardly likely to survive with that amount of burns. Might have been better had he been declared dead at the scene but think it was a fitting finale for him
[close]

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #230 on: February 6, 2023, 12:19:40 am »
Still suspicious of Uncle Neil.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2023, 12:23:30 am by sheepfest »

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #233 on: February 9, 2023, 06:36:58 pm »
The Claire and Neil ones are so spot on. :D

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 9, 2023, 07:41:19 pm »
Great impressions!

On the finale. I've had time to reflect now:

Spoiler
it wasn't the worst finale I've seen but it wasn't brilliant either. I did fear they wouldn't be able to do all the story lines justice with one episode remaining.

In terms of the main story of Catherine, Ryan and TLR I thought it was a bit underwhelming. TLR has been obsessed with Ryan for years and had this big plan to run away with him. Ryan pretty much tells Catherine that he's picked her over him. It would have been satisfying to see Ryan reject his dad to his face.

TLR being helped to escape was the most baffling aspect as within a day or so of getting out they decide to kill him anyway?

The scene with TLR and Catherine in her kitchen I found to be a bit all over the place and comical. I didn't buy that the TLR we had come to know would turn into a big emotional softee and suddenly say Catherine is ok. Perhaps it was the drink talking or he knew he was dying but I didn't find it consistent with his character.

As for the sub plot of the pharmacist and the P.E teacher- it was more rushed than the Game of Thrones final. How did all that end then, the stuff we've been building up all series? Oh just chuck a one line from the chief inspector about it to wrap it all up...

Overall it was a good series. Series 1 was excellent and 2 pretty strong. 3 was OK.

More and more series don't seem to know how to end though. I don't think you'll ever get a worse finale than GOT or Line of Duty mind.
[close]
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."