Author Topic: BT Sport  (Read 179577 times)

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Re: BT Sport - home of the Champions League
« Reply #600 on: November 9, 2013, 10:34:57 am »
That's it, I'm out.  Possibly out of football completely, to be honest.  Sick to death of having to pay through the roof and for millions of different channels just to watch the handful of games I'm interested in.

Just stream everything mate, the quality of streams are getting better every season.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Re: BT Sport
« Reply #601 on: November 9, 2013, 10:36:09 am »
BT Sport is free provided you take their broadband which is a clever catchee monkey ploy.

In a years or two's  time it will be around £12 a month for broadband bringing in £150/yr per customer.

Sky built their customer base on footy from '92 onwards and BT are following the blueprint.

The average Sky customer with Sky sports is now paying around £700/yr and close to £1000/yr with a phone line contract.

This is what BT want to wrest back from Sky. One million customers would bring in a billion pounds a year as Sky have shown.

The problem for the sports fan is having to pay for both if you want to follow other sports which Sky will retain. Then we will see a big following of free internet streaming which happens with footy now but other sports will follow.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #602 on: November 9, 2013, 10:38:26 am »

Just stream everything mate, the quality of streams are getting better every season.

This.

At the moment I get BT Sport for free and use BT Infinity to stream the LFC games BT Sport don't show

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #603 on: November 9, 2013, 10:43:23 am »
Just talking about it on Sky News.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #604 on: November 9, 2013, 10:46:48 am »
BT Sport claims victory over Sky after paying £900m for rights to show Champions League and Europa League
Uefa confirm BT Sport has won the exclusive UK live rights for both the Champions League and Europa League for three years from 2015

BT Sport has claimed a stunning victory in the battle for Champions League football on Saturday after blowing BSkyB and ITV out of the water by paying almost £900 million to show the world’s biggest club competition.

Uefa confirmed the new broadcaster had won the exclusive UK live rights for both the Champions League and Europa League for three years from 2015, signalling an end to decades of terrestrial coverage of European club football.

But taking out ITV was nothing compared to toppling the might of BSkyB, which is thought to have come close to matching BT’s £299m per season offer, more than double what the former two companies paid to share the current contract back in 2011.

Saturday’s announcement will send shockwaves through English football and represent the biggest shake-up in the established order in sports broadcasting in Britain for years.

Sky had ridiculed its new rival for branding its capture of Premier League football as a “game changer” and a source close to BT described its biggest success to date as “the real game changer”.

BT chief executive Gavin Patterson said: “I am thrilled that BT Sport will be the only place where fans can enjoy all the live action from the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Both tournaments are world class and firm favourites with many. The live rights will give a major boost to BT Sport and give people yet another reason to take our terrific service."

Guy-Laurent Epstein, Uefa Events SA Marketing Director, added: “Uefa is delighted to welcome newcomer BT Sport to the family of Uefa Champions League rights holders. Since its launch in the summer, BT Sport has been Uefa’s partner for the Uefa Europa League and has demonstrated its ability to deliver premium sports coverage. We look forward to working with BT Sport on both competitions in the 2015-18 rights cycle.”

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, BT Sport committed to making certain matches available free-to-air across both the Champions League and Europa League – including both finals – a tactic it has already employed with its Premier League coverage.

Being available to every household with a television in the UK had been ITV’s trump card in its relationship with Uefa that has seen it broadcast the Champions League ever since the competition’s inception in 1992.

That had been an extremely attractive prospect for sponsors, which do not enjoy the same reach on Sky Sports and would have even less exposure on BT Sport if all matches remained behind a paywall.

Most will, with BT Sport committing only to showing each British club free-to-air once per season.

ITV surrendering the Europa League, the rights for which it currently holds along with BT Sport, leaves it with no live club football from 2015, with the BBC and BT Sport having won the rights to the FA Cup after this season.

It was expected to hold on to a share of the highlights package along with BT Sport, but that will be of scant consolation, with its only remaining live football rights being England’s home and away matches, which it recently tied up until 2018.

BT Sport securing Champions League football also represents arguably the biggest defeat ever suffered by Sky, who it is understood bid for the exclusive rights to the competition it has shared with ITV since 2008.

So determined were Sky to prevent BT Sport adding the world’s biggest annual sports tournament to its roster, it is thought there was even the prospect of it breaking the bank and sub-letting some matches to ITV to satisfy Uefa’s desire for some level of free-to-air coverage.

Sky and BT have been at war ever since the latter moved into sports broadcasting in a bid to stop its rival poaching its broadband customers with the offer of a combined telephone, broadband and television service, so-called ‘triple play’.

BT Sport became a serious player when it paid £738 million over three years to show Premier League football alongside Sky, who still retained the lion’s share of live matches and most of the best ones as well.

Nevertheless, BT Sport’s 38 games per-season, along with its other football and rugby union rights boosted its number of subscribers to two million.

Exclusive Champions League rights could massively increase that total, even if some high-profile matches are shown free-to-air.

But it will also raise questions over whether BT has overpaid and whether its offer of free sport for its broadband customers is sustainable if it is to recoup the near £2bn it is set to pay out in sports rights over the coming years.

It insisted on Saturday its Champions League bid would not change its current financial outlook.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/10437687/BT-Sport-claims-victory-over-Sky-after-paying-900m-for-rights-to-show-Champions-League-and-Europa-League.html

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #605 on: November 9, 2013, 10:48:43 am »
This.

At the moment I get BT Sport for free and use BT Infinity to stream the LFC games BT Sport don't show

The same, jumped to BT this summer when O2 sold its network to Sky.
Been watching near enough any match I wanted for the last 6 years over the internet for free.
I know BT will start charging for footbal eventually, but people will still find ways of watching for free.

Roll on when I can subscribe to LFC TV for live away matches.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: November 9, 2013, 10:50:10 am »
No doubt Virgin's TV XL package will be a lot more expensive in the run up to this. Either that, or they will remove BT and make it PPV
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #607 on: November 9, 2013, 10:51:25 am »
Glad sky have lost out as I despise them with a passion, but UEFA not insisting that some games remain with ITV is very disappointing, but them we all know what football is about and it's not the average fan
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline payback

• is full of shit, shit and more shit, oh and chillies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: November 9, 2013, 10:51:26 am »
does more football mean more michael owen commentaries?  :(

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: November 9, 2013, 10:52:14 am »
Glad sky have lost out as I despise them with a passion, but UEFA not insisting that some games remain with ITV is very disappointing, but them we all know what football is about and it's not the average fan

Some games will be free to air. Does it matter which channel they are on?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #610 on: November 9, 2013, 10:54:02 am »
Just imagine what the biding will be like when the Premier League rights come up next time.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: November 9, 2013, 10:54:54 am »
Bad news, we are slowly paying more and more for sport.

The huge sums that Sky and BT bid ultimately comes out of our pockets.
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: November 9, 2013, 10:56:07 am »
Sky were also bidding for exclusive rights (ie ditching their partnership with ITV) according to tge Telegraph

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #613 on: November 9, 2013, 10:57:10 am »
Just imagine what the biding will be like when the Premier League rights come up next time.

If Premier league is clever they'll make sure both get a slice of the pie, to keep both in business, promote competition and raise the bids.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #614 on: November 9, 2013, 10:58:43 am »
Owen Gibson ‏@owen_g 2m

Sky say BT paid "far in excess" of its valuation. BT insiders say different. For Sky, being at their own game is bound to sting a bit.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: November 9, 2013, 11:00:31 am »
Some games will be free to air. Does it matter which channel they are on?

I don't care which channel they are on to be honest as long as they are free, my concern is it seems a bit vague from BT so far. Even if a game is free, do you need a BT line? And from what u have seen they have said they will show each domestic team once, so that could be no more then 4 free games Ina season which is a lot less then ITV currently
Thinking is overrated.

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: November 9, 2013, 11:01:09 am »
Makes qualifying for champions league even more inportant as the prize money for qualifying will surely be even more now
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE £20 BET

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: November 9, 2013, 11:05:02 am »
I don't care which channel they are on to be honest as long as they are free, my concern is it seems a bit vague from BT so far. Even if a game is free, do you need a BT line? And from what u have seen they have said they will show each domestic team once, so that could be no more then 4 free games Ina season which is a lot less then ITV currently

By all accounts ITV would have lost the rights come 2015 anyway ... so surely something is better than nothing

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #618 on: November 9, 2013, 11:06:52 am »

As they have just won the rights, I guessing they don't know how they will deliver it yet. But options could be:
Through Freeview on their own channel
Sub-contract to ITV or BBC, C4 or Five

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #619 on: November 9, 2013, 11:12:42 am »
Wow, game changer. Champions League in HD next season then.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: November 9, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
All this talk about competition being good for the consumer...rubbish. Just means more companies who want a piece of the pie and more money to shell out.

Hopefully streaming will be so good within a couple of years, I can ditch the lot of them.

Apparently it's not one free game each round of fixtures either.

In a statement, BT has confirmed it will screen one match involving each British participant for free each season.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: November 9, 2013, 11:17:17 am »
One thing to bear in mind is that these rights are from the 2015-16 season. Before that season begins, we'll already have had the next round of Premier League rights go on sale. Sky will, you imagine, be very, very keen to ensure they mount a robust defence of their current PL rights.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #622 on: November 9, 2013, 11:21:12 am »
The games gone mad...

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: November 9, 2013, 11:22:20 am »
Apparently it's not one free game each round of fixtures either.

Who claimed it was?

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: November 9, 2013, 11:25:12 am »
One thing to bear in mind is that these rights are from the 2015-16 season. Before that season begins, we'll already have had the next round of Premier League rights go on sale. Sky will, you imagine, be very, very keen to ensure they mount a robust defence of their current PL rights.

If they lose the PL I don't think it will be the end of the world for them although it would obviously hurt. Whoever has the rights has to share them with other broadcasters just like sky have to make sky sports available to Virgin. Like with things like gas and electricity, people are lazy when it comes to switching services as long as they are getting what they want
Thinking is overrated.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #625 on: November 9, 2013, 11:28:06 am »
Free with Virgin at the moment and if that changes then there's excellent online streaming available at a reasonable price.

So this will have little impact on me, but could be massive for Sky and LFC
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: November 9, 2013, 11:37:43 am »
Who claimed it was?

Just my own impression initially after hearing it on BBC News. I thought basically BT Sport taking the roles of both ITV and Sky. One free game every Tuesday...

Maybe just me though.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #627 on: November 9, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
I hope they give James Richardson the hosting gig for it. Probably just be Jake Humphreys though.
AHA!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #628 on: November 9, 2013, 11:57:35 am »
I hope they give James Richardson the hosting gig for it. Probably just be Jake Humphreys though.
He's too snippy and interesting for it. I get the feeling on the whole he's not liked, that's why he's never been given a big gig, God knows he's around long enough for it. His links sometimes are a work of art, ridiculous puns abound, best in the biz.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: November 9, 2013, 12:07:48 pm »
That's it, I'm out.  Possibly out of football completely, to be honest.  Sick to death of having to pay through the roof and for millions of different channels just to watch the handful of games I'm interested in.

Don't pay for Sky at all. Streams these days are HD quality - you just need good internet.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #630 on: November 9, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »

Goodbye :)
:D

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #631 on: November 9, 2013, 12:18:50 pm »
Maybe I'm in the minority but I like Sky's Champions League coverage.

I much prefer Jeff Stelling, Carra, Ruud Gullit etc. to David James, Colin Wanker, and Jake fucking Humphreys.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #632 on: November 9, 2013, 12:21:44 pm »
I hope BT have interactive match choice as well.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #633 on: November 9, 2013, 12:27:55 pm »

I much prefer Jeff Stelling, Carra, Ruud Gullit etc. to David James, Colin Wanker, and Jake fucking Humphreys.
I doubt you're alone.  Sky's coverage is far superior.  I just don't want to pay what they want for that coverage.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: November 9, 2013, 12:36:28 pm »
I hope BT have interactive match choice as well.

They are going to have to do something as they can't show 8 games live over 2 nights on their current 2 channels

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #635 on: November 9, 2013, 12:37:26 pm »
So Sky no longer have CL from 2015/16?

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #636 on: November 9, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »
The finals of each tournament will be showcased in this fashion along with a selection of top matches from earlier rounds. Fans will also be delighted to know that each participating British Team will feature for free at least once each season

I think fans would be more delighted with the current situation of 1 free CL game and at least 2 free EL games every gameweek...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4_sULtH6o4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/k4_sULtH6o4</a>
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: November 9, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »
So Sky no longer have CL from 2015/16?

Nor ITV.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: November 9, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »
Every British side will be shown once for free each season and the CL Final will be shown free-to-air

Fair play to BT Sport. As far as marketing goes, it's obviously about as transparent as it gets, but it's a few more games than a lot of fans got to see before Sky's stronghold. I hope they keep it up.

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #639 on: November 9, 2013, 01:05:24 pm »
While i believe it's good Sky don't have a monopoly on football, this is going to cost consumers more.

That is unless the broadband platform becomes cheaper.