Author Topic: Holiday 2020 (Now Cancelled due to Coronavirus) will we get away in 2021?  (Read 36442 times)

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holiday 2020
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:29 am »
Fly to Hong Kong on March 18th, there for the weekend and then fly to Japan for 17 days. All part of our delayed honeymoon

Anyone with any tips for Hong Kong or Japan (plan is start in Tokyo, head down to Hiroshima, stopping off at Kyoto and Osaka on the way down). Ideally would like a day/night in an Onsen around Mt. Fuji as well but we haven't booked that yet

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2020, 02:28:11 pm »
Fly to Hong Kong on March 18th, there for the weekend and then fly to Japan for 17 days. All part of our delayed honeymoon

Anyone with any tips for Hong Kong or Japan (plan is start in Tokyo, head down to Hiroshima, stopping off at Kyoto and Osaka on the way down). Ideally would like a day/night in an Onsen around Mt. Fuji as well but we haven't booked that yet

I live in Hong Kong so PM with anything you want more info on

Can’t speak highly enough about Japan. Truly amazing place. Not sure if you have booked anything yet but I would advise to base yourself in Kyoto rather than jumping around Osaka and Hiroshima. Hiroshima can be done in a day if you get up early and there isn’t much there beyond the peace memorial and Miyajima Island. Osaka is only about 20 minutes from Kyoto. It’s a big sprawling city that is more about food and nightlife without too many attractions so a day trip is good. Kyoto and the surrounding area are spectacular so devote your time to that. Particularly recommend hiking around a nearby area called Kurama. Nara is also a must do day trip. Kinasaki Onsen is an amazing little onsen town about two hours north of Kyoto if you want an alternative to the onsen areas around Fuji or Hakone.

Tokyo itself is amazing. Won’t say too much but just tick all the different food off one by one. And I’d recommend skipping the expensive sushi places and splurge on Kobe / Wagyu restaurants instead.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2020, 04:27:05 pm »
Thanks for the response, will definitely take you up about Hong Kong though, we have a full 4 days to fill so will be wanting some ideas other than the main touristy bits

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2020, 05:25:14 pm »
Which ones? Went a bit ago and loved it, two people have been to same hotel since after my suggestion and they’ve loved it too.

Melia Tortuga and Riu CaBo Verde. Can't remember the last one

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2020, 06:00:28 pm »
Melia Tortuga and Riu CaBo Verde. Can't remember the last one

Which island are they on?

It was Riu Touareg I went to on Boa Vista.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2020, 11:12:24 am »
Looking to go to Croatia in July for 10 / 14 nights.

Been to Dubrovnik and ideally looking for a chilled beach resort to do nothing for a couple of weeks.

Any tips welcome?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2020, 11:59:08 am »

Been to Dubrovnik and ideally looking for a chilled beach resort to do nothing for a couple of weeks.

Any tips welcome?

Bol on the island of Brac (ferry from Split) is gorgeous but pretty small maybe for that long.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2020, 12:30:26 pm »
Bol on the island of Brac (ferry from Split) is gorgeous but pretty small maybe for that long.

Probably is for a couple of weeks, but you've always got the opportunity to get a ferry to the other Islands for a change of scenery.

Ideally, I'd do a few nights in Split, few in Brac and then on to Hvar (maybe even Korcula after that) 

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2020, 01:56:28 pm »
Going to Miami and then Cancun, promises to be a belter of a trip. Fly out the day the Superbowl is on, probably why accommodation was so much. nevertheless, really looking forward to it..
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2020, 02:05:14 pm »
Going to Miami and then Cancun, promises to be a belter of a trip. Fly out the day the Superbowl is on, probably why accommodation was so much. nevertheless, really looking forward to it..

Make sure you do Coco Bongos in Cancun. An absolutely boss night.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »
Anyone been to turkey? Been asked to look for holiday for 2 all inclusive near a water park

Any suggestions?

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2020, 08:30:47 pm »
Anyone been to turkey? Been asked to look for holiday for 2 all inclusive near a water park

Any suggestions?
Most popular waterpark hotel in Turkey is probably Land of Legends in Antalya, not cheap though. We stayed at Rixos Downtown where they had a free shuttle and entry to the park so that suited us just fine.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2020, 08:47:30 am »
Any issues lately with Hong Kong airport? Looking at flying Cathay Pacific to go to Europe from Australia and was wondering if anyone here had been through the airport lately?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2020, 10:38:50 am »
There was an article I read that if I remember right explained that you are on average best booking roughly around half way between when the flights first become bookable and the date of the flight itself. It's all worked out by an algorith and it depends on how well tickets are selling, but they start higher and usually drop a bit before going up again as it gets closer.
I was also told that they sell flight tickets in sections. Basically they split the plane into thirds. Once the first third is full the prices go up and then once the second third is full they go up again. The interesting thing I was also told was that if for example you are buying 4 tickets in one go and there is only 2 seats left in the first third they will charge you for 4 at the higher cost of the second third. Because of this I was always told to buy each ticket individually. It sounds legitimate but I’ve no evidence to back this up other than word of mouth.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2020, 10:39:33 am »
We normally hit EasyJet early in the morning on the day of the sale and get low prices to Tenerife for example. Also found that they can be dirt cheap a few weeks prior to the flight.

We go away 2 weeks Friday and after the stress we've had this month we cannot wait.
How do you find out the day of the sale? (Excuse my ignorance)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2020, 12:24:31 pm »
I was also told that they sell flight tickets in sections. Basically they split the plane into thirds. Once the first third is full the prices go up and then once the second third is full they go up again. The interesting thing I was also told was that if for example you are buying 4 tickets in one go and there is only 2 seats left in the first third they will charge you for 4 at the higher cost of the second third. Because of this I was always told to buy each ticket individually. It sounds legitimate but I’ve no evidence to back this up other than word of mouth.

My brother-in-law and I worked for Thomas Cook Airlines before its recent collapse. He worked in price adjusting. He would receive figures in the morning showing the last 24 hours of sales. He'd add this to a some software to track any trends and then adjust the prices according to demand.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2020, 05:42:44 pm »
How do you find out the day of the sale? (Excuse my ignorance)

Its always on their website, for example they say the sale is in March, then you need to keep checking. Sale starts about 7 am
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:58:33 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2020, 09:58:00 pm »
Cheap Citybreak to be had flights from JLA to Vienna 24-28th Feb @ £11.24 return pp.  :wave
Ryanair.. :-X
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2020, 09:32:07 pm »
Any advice on travel insurance folks? Best place to get it etc..
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2020, 11:48:31 am »

Do a comparison site thingy.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2020, 12:21:57 pm »

I do what .adam said. I usually use Confused to compare prices and policies.

https://www.confused.com/travel-insurance
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:25:14 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2020, 12:51:53 pm »
Missed this, sorry.

Current plan is something along the lines of:

North Island:

Coromandel, Mt Tangaunui (as a base), Rotarua, Waitomo Caves

South Island:

Queenstown, Te Anau (as a base for Milford and Doubtful Sounds), one of the glaciers (Fox or FJ), a stop over en route to Kaikoura, Kaikoura, Blenheim.

Then fly back to Auckland and have a day there before flying home.

Any recommendations to add to the list?

Are you driving? Good options already but if you're doing one of the glaciers on the west coast you'd be better off driving up the west coast, its a spectacular drive. You'll have the option to stop over at Punakaiki and then drive up to the Tasman/Golden Bay, easily my favourite areas of NZ. The east coast of the South Island is pretty drab in comparison.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2020, 05:07:42 pm »
Are you driving? Good options already but if you're doing one of the glaciers on the west coast you'd be better off driving up the west coast, its a spectacular drive. You'll have the option to stop over at Punakaiki and then drive up to the Tasman/Golden Bay, easily my favourite areas of NZ. The east coast of the South Island is pretty drab in comparison.

Great stuff, cheers. Might swerve Kaikoura and come up the west coast instead.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 2, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »
Milan soon. Oman in November so far.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 2, 2020, 11:14:21 pm »

Any tips welcome?

If you’re flying to Dubrovnik I’d recommend Cavtat.  10 min transfer from airport by taxi.
If flying into Split I’d opt for Makarska or Omis.  Both are beach resorts but Omis is smaller.
Best beach resort for me is up north.  Flight into Pula and stayed Rovinj.

As others have said plenty of island options also.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 5, 2020, 03:43:05 pm »
I'm doing the opposite to most of you and going to Europe for 3 weeks beginning May. Plan is to go to the UK (London, Liverpool, Manchester), Paris, Geneva, Lausanne, Basel, Zurich, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and back. Tempted to stay back for the CL final but let's see!
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 5, 2020, 04:59:45 pm »
Away to Tenerife Friday, massive weight lifted with the missus being told she doesn't have cancer, so we can go and enjoy ourselves.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #107 on: February 5, 2020, 05:20:44 pm »
Away to Tenerife Friday, massive weight lifted with the missus being told she doesn't have cancer, so we can go and enjoy ourselves.
Fantastic, Rob.  8)

I hope the Rob family have a great time in sunny Tenerife. Enjoy!  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 5, 2020, 05:39:40 pm »
Fantastic, Rob.  8)

I hope the Rob family have a great time in sunny Tenerife. Enjoy!  8)

Cheers bud - can't wait.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 5, 2020, 07:40:06 pm »

Well in. Great news

Have a good trip. Weather going shite here just as you go so timed it well

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #110 on: February 5, 2020, 07:50:13 pm »

Enjoy mate!

So good to hear that.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2020, 01:51:27 pm »
Wheres that? Loves idyllic

Sorry was already gone when I saw this...Fiji. Did some island hopping for two plus weeks and ended up near the Blue Lagoon but no sign of Brooke ;) Had the joy of flying back via Heathrow when the storm hit last weekend and my door to door journey was over 40 hours. You know what it still was worth it!!!!
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2020, 05:06:23 pm »
If you’re flying to Dubrovnik I’d recommend Cavtat.  10 min transfer from airport by taxi.
If flying into Split I’d opt for Makarska or Omis.  Both are beach resorts but Omis is smaller.

Makarska is a great shout, Zivogosce is another one near Makarska, smaller and less quiet but still pretty nice.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2020, 02:55:29 pm »
Why the fook have flights to the USA shot up recently, especially if flying from Manchester.

Looking at returning to Philadelphia in September and a return flight is £768, yet the same flight from Heathrow is less than £400!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2020, 09:59:25 am »
Why the fook have flights to the USA shot up recently, especially if flying from Manchester.

Would imagine Thomas Cook exiting the Manchester market has driven up prices.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2020, 12:18:19 pm »

Rovinj is beautiful. Maybe a little isolated for a week? Then again you can always visit Pula or even a day trip (long day) to Venice by hydrofoil ferry.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2020, 01:35:45 pm »
Would imagine Thomas Cook exiting the Manchester market has driven up prices.

Brexit hasn't helped either, fuel bills have shot up for all the carriers.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2020, 01:52:05 pm »
I'm joining a group tour in Egypt end of March and have 2 days by myself in Cairo. Any tips on the best places to stay and what to do?

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2020, 02:14:04 pm »
Been recommended to cancel my trip to Hong Kong next month so either looking at Seoul for a couple of days or straight to Japan and spend longer travelling around. Going to Asia at this moment isn't exactly the most comforting thing but we've saved and planned for 18 months since our wedding

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2020, 07:06:40 pm »
Looking at 2 weeks in either cuba or Mexico later on this year. Would usually aim for September but know you're playing roulette with the weather. May wait for later on in the year