Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 338870 times)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
Re: The 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #2040 on: February 2, 2020, 03:06:41 pm »
Apparently after the Siege Of Liverpool buried treasure still remains in tunnels in the Everton district.

Website seems amateur but...

http://historyofliverpool.com/siege-liverpool/
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2041 on: February 3, 2020, 03:15:40 am »
Apparently after the Siege Of Liverpool buried treasure still remains in tunnels in the Everton district.

Website seems amateur but...

http://historyofliverpool.com/siege-liverpool/

So that's where Bill hid the Arteta money........

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2042 on: February 3, 2020, 09:58:23 am »
Didn't know that someone's head could be mistaken for a ball..

Fucking hell what the fuck is this all about?

https://mobile.twitter.com/bewarmers/status/1224099950981795845
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: February 9, 2020, 04:37:43 am »
Catatumbo Lightning is an atmospheric phenomenon in the country of Venezuela. It occurs over the mouth of the Catatumbo River where it empties into Lake Maracaibo. It originates from a mass of storm clouds at a height of more than 1 km, and occurs during 140 to 160 nights a year, 10 hours per day and up to 280 times per hour. It occurs over and around Lake Maracaibo, typically over the bog area formed where the Catatumbo River flows into the lake.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4DH8LAa-caA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4DH8LAa-caA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/seWRO9Gf8mE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/seWRO9Gf8mE</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2044 on: February 18, 2020, 06:03:12 pm »
Barry Manilow did not write his hit "I Write the Songs."

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2045 on: February 18, 2020, 06:14:39 pm »
[emoji23]

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: February 18, 2020, 07:16:40 pm »

:lmao didn't know that.

Written by Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2047 on: February 18, 2020, 07:27:01 pm »

:lmao

Wish he hadn't sung any either (My Ma loved him and played him all the time when I was a kid - one of her funeral songs was one of his)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: February 18, 2020, 07:36:55 pm »
:lmao didn't know that.

Written by Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys!
A'hhh now we're talking.

Sloop John B.

There's a really good song for you    :)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2049 on: February 19, 2020, 07:13:59 am »
:lmao

Wish he hadn't sung any either (My Ma loved him and played him all the time when I was a kid - one of her funeral songs was one of his)

He didn't write Mandy either - it was a cover version of a song called Brandy.

Guilty pleasure warning - I fuckin love the song Mandy (not Brandy:wave

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: February 21, 2020, 01:45:10 pm »
We say 'Bless you' when someone sneezes because during the plague sneezing would be a sign of you having caught the plague and what would follow would be a certain death so people would hope that God would bless you and hope that your life would be saved.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: February 21, 2020, 01:47:08 pm »
Football did actually cause a war to break out between 2 countries:

Wiki:

The Football War (Spanish: La guerra del fútbol; colloquial: Soccer War or the Hundred Hours' War also known as 100 Hour War) was a brief war fought between El Salvador and Honduras in 1969. Existing tensions between the two countries coincided with rioting during a 1970 FIFA World Cup qualifier.[1] The war began on 14 July 1969, when the Salvadoran military launched an attack against Honduras. The Organization of American States (OAS) negotiated a cease-fire on the night of 18 July (hence "100 Hour War"), which took full effect on 20 July. Salvadoran troops were withdrawn in early August.

And some people think banter is bad  ;D

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: February 22, 2020, 10:08:54 am »
When flying at top speed, 2,200 mph, the SR 71 Blackbird cannot turn around inside the borders of the state of Ohio.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2053 on: February 25, 2020, 04:40:19 pm »
Heard on the radio earlier..apparently only 30% of humans can flare their nostrils.

Random useless fact yep..

100% of people who read or hear this amazing fact try to flare their nostrils.  :D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2054 on: February 25, 2020, 07:40:44 pm »
Tiger Lily..the daughter of Michael Hutchence, received £500 from his estate after his death.

You'd have to ask his lawyer Colin Diamond where the rest went.
How the fuck does that happen!?

Mystifies me mate

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #2055 on: February 25, 2020, 08:25:16 pm »
We say 'Bless you' when someone sneezes because during the plague sneezing would be a sign of you having caught the plague and what would follow would be a certain death so people would hope that God would bless you and hope that your life would be saved.
Hence the nursery rhyme "Ring a ring of roses, a pocket full of posies" - the rosy complexion being another symptom and the posies of herbs (mistakenly) thought to be a protection against said plague (in reality they simply masked smell), thus followed by the sneezing as you mentioned, with the final line "we all fall down" relating to the mass casualties that plagues inflicted in the Middle Ages.

Of course, all of this is a myth invented in the 20th century :wave

It was just a kids' dance - in fact the German version is even clearer on that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:27:42 pm by 24/50 geek! »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:39 pm »
Hence the nursery rhyme "Ring a ring of roses, a pocket full of posies" - the rosy complexion being another symptom and the posies of herbs (mistakenly) thought to be a protection against said plague (in reality they simply masked smell), thus followed by the sneezing as you mentioned, with the final line "we all fall down" relating to the mass casualties that plagues inflicted in the Middle Ages.

Of course, all of this is a myth invented in the 20th century :wave

It was just a kids' dance - in fact the German version is even clearer on that.

Is there a 21st century version being done?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2057 on: February 25, 2020, 11:20:17 pm »
Is there a 21st century version being done?

Ring around the noses, pocket full of dozys
Stashes, stashes, we all fall down?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2058 on: February 25, 2020, 11:30:28 pm »
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2059 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:51 pm »
The line "Watch our for your cornhole, bud" from Office Space (movie), though still a reference to getting bummed, was about an actual game and not because your bum is a hole that corn came whole out of. Who knew?

Said game:

https://youtu.be/Hbw8UMcqUJ4?t=18
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #2060 on: February 26, 2020, 01:56:26 am »
This is about girl at work.

I was explaining to her how I am going to Argentina in June (we live in Australia) and how that it would also be winter there at that time.

She said "it can't be winter there, isn't Argentina really far away?" ... I started explaining "no its in the southern hemisphere, so it has the same season pattern as Australia"

She said "I have no idea what you just said there - whats southern hemisphere?"

This is when my head exploded... so I had to explain what the northern/southern hemisphere is and how the seasons work ... "ohhhh I never knew that!"

FMD - this chick is 29 yrs old, you learn this shit in year 1.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:01:14 am by Roopy »

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: February 26, 2020, 03:12:33 am »
A North American Cougar (aka mountain lion, puma) can jump up to 6m (19 ft) high, and up to 14m (46 ft) in distance with a running start. It can sprint up to 80 km/h (50 mph)

Despite weighing up to 100 kg (220 lbs), they are typically not considered one of the "big cats" as they cannot roar.  They lack the specialized larynx and hyoid apparatus of Panthera. They make sounds similar to domesticated cats, but are also known for their screams.

A large male cougar was recorded hunting & killing a 500 kg (1100 lb) bull moose.

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2062 on: February 26, 2020, 04:17:25 am »
A North American Cougar (aka mountain lion, puma) can jump up to 6m (19 ft) high, and up to 14m (46 ft) in distance with a running start. It can sprint up to 80 km/h (50 mph)

Despite weighing up to 100 kg (220 lbs), they are typically not considered one of the "big cats" as they cannot roar.  They lack the specialized larynx and hyoid apparatus of Panthera. They make sounds similar to domesticated cats, but are also known for their screams.

A large male cougar was recorded hunting & killing a 500 kg (1100 lb) bull moose.

Mate, I was having nice time with beer and snacks, and when I read about a 200lb cougar I almost threw up...

Is "cougar" used world-wide for an older woman? I actually don't know the answer to that... In the U.S. it certainly is...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: February 26, 2020, 06:57:32 am »
This is about girl at work.

I was explaining to her how I am going to Argentina in June (we live in Australia) and how that it would also be winter there at that time.

She said "it can't be winter there, isn't Argentina really far away?" ... I started explaining "no its in the southern hemisphere, so it has the same season pattern as Australia"

She said "I have no idea what you just said there - whats southern hemisphere?"

This is when my head exploded... so I had to explain what the northern/southern hemisphere is and how the seasons work ... "ohhhh I never knew that!"

FMD - this chick is 29 yrs old, you learn this shit in year 1.

TV quiz show in the UK The Chase. Thick contestant on it the other day. Question was - the 2016 Summer Olympics was held wholly in the host countries winter - which country hosted it London, Tokyo or Rio?.  She answered Tokyo because it was cloudy all the time :butt :butt

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2064 on: February 26, 2020, 07:12:25 am »
Mate, I was having nice time with beer and snacks, and when I read about a 200lb cougar I almost threw up...

Is "cougar" used world-wide for an older woman? I actually don't know the answer to that... In the U.S. it certainly is...

Means it in the UK. Prob an Americanism though.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: February 26, 2020, 10:23:58 am »
TV quiz show in the UK The Chase. Thick contestant on it the other day. Question was - the 2016 Summer Olympics was held wholly in the host countries winter - which country hosted it London, Tokyo or Rio?.  She answered Tokyo because it was cloudy all the time :butt :butt

Also on The Chase - the grown woman who had never heard of Salvador Dali  :o

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2066 on: February 26, 2020, 10:40:04 am »
Tiger Lily..the daughter of Michael Hutchence, received £500 from his estate after his death.

You'd have to ask his lawyer Colin Diamond where the rest went.
How the fuck does that happen!?

Watched the documentary about Hutchence that was recently shown on the BBC, Mystify - that it was an excellently put together film, that captured the iconic highs and tragic lows very well.  Would recommend.  Ultimately a very sad story  :-\

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2067 on: February 26, 2020, 01:02:04 pm »

― Christine Szymanski

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2068 on: February 26, 2020, 01:12:59 pm »
Lilly The Pink by the Scaffold in 1968

had Paul McCartneys brother (Peter) in the Scaffold and had Reg Dwight (Elton John), Jack Bruce of Cream and Graham Nash of the Hollies as backing singers.

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2069 on: February 26, 2020, 08:38:22 pm »
Lilly The Pink by the Scaffold in 1968

had Paul McCartneys brother (Peter) in the Scaffold and had Reg Dwight (Elton John), Jack Bruce of Cream and Graham Nash of the Hollies as backing singers.
Paul McCartney's brother was in The Scaffold, but I'm pretty sure his name was Mike (he went by the stage name of Mike McGear), not Peter. The other two members of the band were Roger McGough, the poet, and the comedian (and Tiswas presenter) John Gorman. I didn' know that bit about Elton, Jack Bruce and Graham Nash though!

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2070 on: February 27, 2020, 12:27:57 am »
Paul McCartney's brother was in The Scaffold, but I'm pretty sure his name was Mike (he went by the stage name of Mike McGear), not Peter. The other two members of the band were Roger McGough, the poet, and the comedian (and Tiswas presenter) John Gorman. I didn' know that bit about Elton, Jack Bruce and Graham Nash though!

I heard the factoid somewhere on a podcast. Wiki told me that Paul’s brother was called Peter McCartney but went by stage name Mike McGear

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2071 on: February 27, 2020, 03:56:47 am »
Apple won't let bad guys use iphones on camera.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: February 27, 2020, 11:15:39 pm »
Donald Trump and Jimmy Greaves done the draw for the 91/92 League Cup quarter final on Saint and Greavsie
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2073 on: February 29, 2020, 11:35:15 am »
Sweet Christ on a cracker, why didn't I know who wrote this?

Somebody's knocking at the door
somebody's ringing the bell

... MACCA

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: February 29, 2020, 11:45:03 am »
The song ‘There’s a moose loose aboot this hoose’ is about a mouse not a moose.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2075 on: February 29, 2020, 03:20:11 pm »
The song ‘There’s a moose loose aboot this hoose’ is about a mouse not a moose.
Also 'hoose' means house; not a very long hose.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2076 on: February 29, 2020, 03:21:42 pm »
And ‘loose’ means ‘louse’ and it refers to a very small species of woodlouse, which used to infest houses in Scotland in the 80s
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #2077 on: February 29, 2020, 04:20:53 pm »
Although not unheard of for females to have the condition, nearly every person who has colour blindness is male. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2078 on: February 29, 2020, 05:06:43 pm »
The fastest fish is the world is the Black Marlin -- 129 km/h (80 mph). It swims faster than a cheetah can run!

― Christine Szymanski

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2079 on: February 29, 2020, 05:17:48 pm »
I have done the National Lottery from day one and I haven't won a friggin thing - not even my (original) pound back.

Well, you lot never knew that did ye?

But it's true.

Maybe I should contact Guinness World Records or something?