Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12263843 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101480 on: March 8, 2020, 09:49:16 am »
So with Neil Critchley now at Blackpool who's looking after the U23 squad?

LFC fans are supposedly hoping for a return to the club by Xabi Alonso.

What about Carragher?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #101481 on: March 9, 2020, 09:39:26 am »
What about Carragher?

Not his line of work?

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101482 on: March 11, 2020, 10:45:24 am »
What about Carragher?

It's too important a job, we need someone who is an expert at developing youngsters

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101483 on: March 11, 2020, 12:35:40 pm »
What about Carragher?

think punditry pays too well and he rather stay there and get his hands dirty. easiest job just shooting his mouth without any repercussions.

pretty sure edwards, pep(our dutch one) and klopp surely have some contacts on who best to bring the youth squad forward. Someone under the radar and have a good track record of developing youths.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #101484 on: March 12, 2020, 09:00:10 pm »
What about Carragher?
Why? Just why?

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101485 on: March 24, 2020, 11:44:57 pm »

Paul Glatzel is back in light training, hope he gets back to full fitness soon as he looked extremely promising

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101486 on: March 25, 2020, 12:14:19 am »

Paul Glatzel is back in light training, hope he gets back to full fitness soon as he looked extremely promising

Good news, thanks for sharing
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101487 on: March 25, 2020, 01:38:55 pm »
Good news, thanks for sharing

He might even get some game time given how the season is panning out :-)

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #101488 on: March 28, 2020, 03:49:20 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BF1DMR0W4gE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BF1DMR0W4gE</a>
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #101489 on: March 28, 2020, 04:40:54 pm »
^
Some beauties in there, Stubby!
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101490 on: March 29, 2020, 02:24:42 pm »
That Jake Cain looks like he could be a player.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101491 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:19 pm »
https://theathletic.co.uk/1690171/2020/03/30/how-liverpools-academy-has-caught-up-with-21st-century-britain-to-thrive-again/

The next one according to those who know at Liverpool’s academy could be James Balagizi, a 16-year-old midfielder who has delivered consistently strong performances this season at under-18 level.

Liverpool were able to spirit Balagizi away from Manchester City five years ago because the player’s parents saw a clear pathway from the youth facility in Kirkby to the first team at Melwood.

Balagizi had arrived in Manchester from DR Congo aged six and within 18 months, he’d been signed by City. One of his earliest games came against Liverpool. A powerful display that day, making other players seem to melt away, made Liverpool think about the limitations of the club’s geography as well as its scouting system.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101492 on: March 30, 2020, 12:43:22 pm »
^
Some beauties in there, Stubby!

Some corkers in there, loved Elliot's at the end. Both of the finishes by Layton Stewart were quality especially the first one, loved Norris's goal as we thrashed Everton that day.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101493 on: March 31, 2020, 06:18:45 pm »
That Jake Cain looks like he could be a player.

Watch that video and it’s laughable for people to say Cain isn’t one of the better passers at this club already at his tender age.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101494 on: April 12, 2020, 12:13:57 pm »
Paul Glatzel interview | Progress, patience, perspective and planning

Chris Shaw@__ChrisShaw

Patience is certainly a virtue for Paul Glatzel.

Nine months of careful rehabilitation from the anterior cruciate ligament injury he suffered last summer have brought the Liverpool striker close to a return to the pitch.

The 19 year-old was on course to begin training again this month, a symbolic step on the long, emotionally challenging road back to playing football.  That stage of his recuperation has, by necessity, been delayed by the current COVID-19 outbreak and the requirement for players to maintain fitness by following individual programmes at home.  But Glatzel is handling the circumstances with characteristic perspective; a mindset shaped by injuries past and present.

“I’m basically at the end of my rehab,” he tells Liverpoolfc.com.  “I was meant to be back training, I should have been back around now but obviously with what is going on it’s not possible at the moment.  “So I’m just making sure I do my fitness stuff I’ve been sent from the club and just waiting for all this to take its course and then be back on the pitch when we’re allowed.

“The sessions have been adapted obviously to what I’m able to do;  I’ve been given running programmes for my fitness and strength programmes and I’ve been given equipment to be able to do those sessions.  I’m staying at home and I’m not allowed to go to the club or Melwood, but I’m still getting on with my work and doing well.

“I’d hope to be able to get a few training sessions in pretty soon when we come back.  I’ll probably have to do a little bit more rehab and then hopefully get back into training.  Then wait and see what happens.

“Hopefully I can get a few minutes but I’ll just have to see what happens and focus on getting back to full fitness.
 “I think I’ve got quite a good mindset to be able to carry out my sessions every day because I’ve had a few injuries in my past and I’ve seemed to do well dealing with that.  I’m kind of used to it a little bit more than maybe other players. 

“I try to just make sure I get things done, even if I’m not feeling as motivated as other days I still grind and get the session done.  To be fair, I like to do my sessions as well because it makes me feel like I’m getting better and getting closer to fitness.

“I don’t really have many days that I’m down because I’m always trying to work hard and improve and get back to where I need to be.”

At the moment, Glatzel’s daily schedule begins around 9.30am with a pre-activation routine conducted via video call alongside the U23s squad.
Once suitably warmed up, running sessions consolidate his core fitness levels before strength exercises – once more, in tandem with his Academy teammates – take place mid-afternoon.

“We try to have a structured day and get as much work done as we can,” Glatzel, captain of the FA Youth Cup-winning U18s in 2018-19, explains.

“It’s not great to be away from the boys, we all like to be together and like to make sure we do our sessions together.  At the moment it’s not possible.  It’s good to see the lads on the screen, even if it is only for half an hour or however long it takes.

“You just need to make sure everything you do, you do properly even though you are at home and you might not have the right circumstances for what you need to do.  You still need to carry on and make sure you get everything done.”

Glatzel’s long-term rehabilitation has been coordinated by the club’s medical department at Melwood after Jürgen Klopp personally called for him to undergo treatment at the first-team base following the incident at Tranmere Rovers last July.
His relationship with the physios tasked with leading his recovery programme, which is designed to maximise the youngster’s durability far beyond an initial comeback, is crucial.

Because the natural desire to be out on the grass again must be tempered by an understanding of the bigger picture.

“The injury I’ve had has been a long injury, I’ve not kicked a ball since the start of pre-season,” Glatzel reflected.
“It has been a tough one to take because I was doing quite well before that.  I’ve just got to make sure I get my sessions in and be patient because time is a healer in this sense.
“I just need to wait for my injury to be sorted and to heal properly so that when I come back the risk of me getting injured again is much, much lower and I can just focus on my football again.

“It’s always important to have a good relationship with physios, especially when I’ve been injured for a while now. And I think I’ve got that.

“They’re always looking after me, even now when we’ve got to stay at home; they’re staying in touch over text and making sure I’ve got everything I need. They’ve made sure I’ve got all the equipment and I’m basically able to do my session without a lot of problems.

“They’ve been really good.  They check in every day to see how my session was and how I’m feeling, just making sure I’m OK.”

The lay-off has, however, presented some opportunities for the forward, who was born in Liverpool to German parents, both of whom work for the National Health Service.

Specifically, the chance to study first-team matches with an analytical eye, to look more closely at the patterns and movements that made Klopp’s side European Cup winners, world champions and Premier League leaders.

“With me not being able to train, watching games is quite a big part of me being able to learn about the game and about our specific style of play,” he states.

“I’ve been looking at the games differently than I was before because I need to keep learning and keep evolving because otherwise everyone else catches you up when you’re not allowed to do that on the pitch.

“Watching games has been quite a big part of my learning development at the moment, because that’s all I can really do.  I’m focusing on games and not just watching to see the scoreline but to see how they’re playing and what I need to be able to do when I come back.”

Glatzel’s gaze is often drawn to one particular player in the team.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s recovery from a similar serious injury sustained two years ago, and his achievement in reproducing the standards he showed before being sidelined, provide perfect inspiration.

“I quite like to see how he is doing,” said the teenager, scorer of 28 goals last term.  “When he plays well or has a good game, it fills me with confidence because I know what he’s been through and I know he’s been out for a long time but he’s been able to bounce back.

“He has been playing well and scoring goals, so I just hope when I get back I can do the same.  It’s good to have someone like that to look up to and see they’ve been there and done that. Hopefully I can do that too.

“Agility is pretty much what I need for my game, to be able to turn quickly and change direction.  I can see that in Ox’s game, he’s not focusing on the knee problems he’s had in the past.

“He is just playing normally, changing direction smoothly and is doing all he can do and all he needs to do without really having any thoughts about the injury he has had in the past.”

Football pales in comparison to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis affecting the whole world and Glatzel has added perspective there, too.

His father, a GP, is working from home and his mother is fulfilling extended hours in her role as an anaesthetist in hospital at the most challenging of times.

“You’ve got to appreciate what they do,” said Glatzel.  “They’re my parents, so I’m proud of them whatever, but they are working hard – as are all the NHS staff, which is really appreciated by everyone.

“It’s such an important thing that they look after everyone and they’re doing it as much as they can.  The round of applause at 8pm the other day was a really nice touch, it was lovely to see that everyone is appreciating them.

“It’s so important to stay at home and not go out and do things you might want to do.  If you do, it puts more stress on the NHS and my parents.  You just need to be prepared to stay at home for as long as it takes, to make sure fewer people are affected.

You need to stay indoors.

“You also need to make sure you still stay connected with your family and friends, with the technology – webcams, texts or phone calls – because you need to make sure your mental health is good as well and you need to be healthy.

“Just stay indoors and stay safe.”

No idea what's happened to the text size [emoji2368]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:23:10 pm by reddebs »

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #101495 on: April 13, 2020, 07:58:17 pm »
Superb interview, seems determined, mature, confident, positive and articulate.  I suspect he was ahead of Bobby Duncan in not just playing style

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101496 on: May 16, 2020, 11:22:36 am »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-starlet-who-once-scored-18261204?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Good to see Layton getting some attention from the Echo, they've had some interesting podcasts on some of the youngsters coming through at the Academy recently. Considering the situation we're all facing and with the prospect of transfers not being as many as usual, there could be a few opportunities for the up and coming players.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101497 on: May 16, 2020, 11:49:10 am »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-starlet-who-once-scored-18261204?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Good to see Layton getting some attention from the Echo, they've had some interesting podcasts on some of the youngsters coming through at the Academy recently. Considering the situation we're all facing and with the prospect of transfers not being as many as usual, there could be a few opportunities for the up and coming players.
I agree Jill.  We are in that very fortunate position of having quite a few youngsters capable of making a case for themselves.

Something to look forward to if we ever start playing again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #101500 on: May 22, 2020, 06:18:06 am »
So are Layton Stewart, Leighton Clarkson and James Balagizi the next 'next ones' that are expected to excel in the Academy and potentially train with the first team?

Have read many a nice thing about Mr. Balagizi but never seen him play.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101501 on: May 22, 2020, 07:31:08 am »
So are Layton Stewart, Leighton Clarkson and James Balagizi the next 'next ones' that are expected to excel in the Academy and potentially train with the first team?

Stewart has already trained with the first team and impressed Klopp, Alex Inglethorpe has said recently he can be anything he wants to be so he's rated highly. He scored 56 goals at the under 16's having just moved up to the under 18's last season. As for Leighton Clarkson we've already seen what he is capable of from this season's cup games. I would imagine he will definitely see more game time. Balagizi is very good too, a definite one with real potential.

In other news Stewart’s under 18 partner Fidel O’Rourke has signed his first professional contract.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:38:37 pm by jillc »

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #101502 on: May 23, 2020, 09:46:10 am »

I'd add James Norris and Tyler Morton to that list, they've both been very impressive.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101503 on: May 23, 2020, 11:11:00 am »
I'd add James Norris and Tyler Morton to that list, they've both been very impressive.

I would also add Tom Hill to that list, he's caught the eye too.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101504 on: May 23, 2020, 09:00:24 pm »
Paul Glatzel trained with first team today.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #101505 on: May 23, 2020, 09:17:16 pm »
Delighted for him, one of our brightest prospects before the unfortunate injury.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101506 on: May 23, 2020, 09:27:58 pm »
It must be very exciting for the youngsters because they are looking at a bunch of minutes in the PL once the title is secured

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101507 on: May 24, 2020, 12:24:03 pm »
It must be very exciting for the youngsters because they are looking at a bunch of minutes in the PL once the title is secured

Didn't Klopp say he was going to play a full strength side the rest of the way? 

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #101508 on: May 24, 2020, 12:26:03 pm »
Still possible they’ll get minutes off the bench though, given the five subs ruling. If that’s implemented here.
AHA!

« Reply #101509 on: May 24, 2020, 06:59:31 pm »
I think he said something like that.
There are probably a couple of caveats that go with it: Like fatigue, match fitness, knocks etc.
Wouldn't be surprised to see 1-2 players in the starting lineup and a few more coming in from the bench, that don't play in most of the big games.
Bastion of invincibility

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #101510 on: May 24, 2020, 07:25:43 pm »
Would really like Harvey to get more game time before the season ends.

Apart from him earning his stripes deservedly, it sends a positive signal to the youngsters that If you try hard and apply yourself, there will always be a good opportunity to play for the European and World Champions and PL elect.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #101511 on: May 24, 2020, 07:37:52 pm »
Would really like Harvey to get more game time before the season ends.

Apart from him earning his stripes deservedly, it sends a positive signal to the youngsters that If you try hard and apply yourself, there will always be a good opportunity to play for the European and World Champions and PL elect.

Hopefully he does....but I’d suggest Trent and Gomez are already proof of the above.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101512 on: May 24, 2020, 07:42:46 pm »

There will not be long between before the new season begins, little point in flogging our player to death. I would say its a perfect opportunity once the title's been decided to throw some younger players in.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101513 on: May 24, 2020, 08:46:51 pm »
The five subs will get the youngsters a bit more game time too

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101514 on: May 25, 2020, 12:38:35 pm »
The five subs will get the youngsters a bit more game time too

Can only be a good thing, would make sense to keep it

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101515 on: May 25, 2020, 12:39:48 pm »
Delighted for him, one of our brightest prospects before the unfortunate injury.

Yes, great news, he seems like a wonderful kid so hope he stays fit as he’s shown real talent and a great work ethic

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #101516 on: May 25, 2020, 02:43:15 pm »
Is the 5 subs rule available in every league now until the season ends? I'd thought it was just in Germany, but of course nowhere else is really playing yet.

If we can do that I'd definitely expect Jones and Elliot to get a few minuts.

Was a shame what happened to Glatzel and Brewster, both must have missed at least a year each, annoying at that age when they were gaining momentum in the u23s. Should try and get them some football next season on loan I think.

Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101517 on: May 25, 2020, 03:02:00 pm »
Is the 5 subs rule available in every league now until the season ends? I'd thought it was just in Germany, but of course nowhere else is really playing yet.

If we can do that I'd definitely expect Jones and Elliot to get a few minuts.

Was a shame what happened to Glatzel and Brewster, both must have missed at least a year each, annoying at that age when they were gaining momentum in the u23s. Should try and get them some football next season on loan I think.

Is authorized but yet to see premier league confirm it’ll be in use

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101518 on: May 28, 2020, 06:34:38 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101519 on: May 28, 2020, 06:36:48 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/396957-lfc-announces-appointment-of-new-u23s-and-u18s-coaches

Lewtas goes from u18 to u23 coach. U16s coach promoted to u18s

I love the continuity that is linking through the club, just how it should be.

Oh and Abdi Sharif extends contract at Liverpool FC.   https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/396866-abdi-sharif-extends-contract-at-liverpool-fc