Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2017-18  (Read 174280 times)

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2017-18
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2017, 09:54:25 pm »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2017, 10:01:15 pm »
Ouch.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2017, 10:30:48 pm »
Relegation APLT: Week 9

ok, as the season progresses I'll drop and include teams based on whether they cross the 0 point line (and as long as it doesn't get too cluttered). This week I've taken out Brighton (rose to +1) and have included Stoke instead. Swansea, Everton and West Ham don't look good either. They aren't picking up points but their lines aren't as harsh simply because of the games they have had rather than results.

Brilliant addition to the thread mate, I like it. My two questions would be this:-
1. What is the biggest number of points in the Premier League era a side has been relegated with? Would this be better than the 48 point line for reducing the clutter?
2. Looking purely at the graph, who would you be most worried about?

The answer to #2 for me is Palace, Swansea & West Brom. They both look the sides heading in just one direction (although Palace had one good result recently).
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2017, 10:36:48 pm »
Brilliant addition to the thread mate, I like it. My two questions would be this:-
1. What is the biggest number of points in the Premier League era a side has been relegated with? Would this be better than the 48 point line for reducing the clutter?

The answer to #2 for me is Palace, Swansea & West Brom. They both look the sides heading in just one direction (although Palace had one good result recently).

Id be amazed if West Brom went down. Swansea also have a decentish defence and a good striker addition could help them from January.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2017, 10:45:53 pm »
Id be amazed if West Brom went down. Swansea also have a decentish defence and a good striker addition could help them from January.
Whilst true, I did say "Looking purely at the graph" for that reason. To cut out all conjecture.

Likewise I would say that in Benteke, Cabaye and Zaha you would think Palace have the talent to pick up points in spite of Hodgson's tactics. In fact when you look at the squads of most premier league sides there are players which make you think they are too good to go down. Which is where the Premier League money has gotten us. 6 teams competing for top four each season and then all the rest who will fight to stay in the league. The best of those teams last season - Everton - now look fucked. Southampton were looking ropey until they beat West Brom. The next three after that were Bournemouth, West Brom & West Ham. They aren't looking too hot either.

It's a weird league now and I think now every season the side who spends badly will be in a lot of trouble. That middle group of sides too good to go down, not good enough to push the top 6 seems to have gone.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2017, 12:23:55 am »
Arresto momentum
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2017, 12:40:11 pm »

1. When I did my analysis last year, before we set up the Relegation APLT, I only went as far back as 2000. During that period West Ham were relegated in 2002/2003 with a points total of 42 (I've included the summary data I did back then below seeing as it might interest you). I suppose I could set that as my cutout point and therefore remove a couple of more teams, however drmick loves the clutter for some reason   :)

Generally, I try to keep it as uncluttered as I can but also try and include all the teams that are in danger of being dragged into the relegation battle so that we can see their trends. It's a delicate balancing act considering that any team in the bottom 10 can easily jump into the bottom 3, especially at the moment. Maybe it was a bit too early to start it this year but as the season progresses hopefully I can drop some more teams out.

2. I see what you did in making your assessment: you visually mapped out trendlines for each of the teams and extrapolated, that way you can project those 3 dropping more than the others. In a way you're not far of the mark, the thing is, you have to be careful at this stage due to the par 0's.

Take Stoke for example  (see https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=336191.msg15665847#msg15665847). A lot of their games were par 0's, 'bonus games' as I like to think of them. They don't impact on the RAPLT point system in a negative manner, only positively. If you extrapolate with these in mind our perception is skewed. If you exclude these games (but only if no points are gained from them) then you have too small a sample set to make an informed decision. More games will be required to assess them and whether they are a cause for concern.

However taking that aside I would still tend to agree with you - based purely on the graph - that Palace, Swansea & West Brom's continual decline/slope so far does paint them as the ones to watch.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:48 pm »

Bournemouth and West Brom away being Par 1s, so Chelsea and Man City climb! Yeah, I think you're right about that middle group being subsumed into almost relegation fodder.

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 1, 2017, 12:19:42 pm »
Relegation APLT: Week 10

So this week, I've removed Leicester and Stoke and Brighton is included in the mix. Newcastle are on the cusp as they currently sit on 0 points. They drop any more and you'll see them soon.

« Last Edit: November 1, 2017, 01:24:17 pm by JCB »

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #169 on: November 1, 2017, 12:47:43 pm »
1. When I did my analysis last year, before we set up the Relegation APLT, I only went as far back as 2000. During that period West Ham were relegated in 2002/2003 with a points total of 42 (I've included the summary data I did back then below seeing as it might interest you). I suppose I could set that as my cutout point and therefore remove a couple of more teams, however drmick loves the clutter for some reason   :)

Generally, I try to keep it as uncluttered as I can but also try and include all the teams that are in danger of being dragged into the relegation battle so that we can see their trends. It's a delicate balancing act considering that any team in the bottom 10 can easily jump into the bottom 3, especially at the moment. Maybe it was a bit too early to start it this year but as the season progresses hopefully I can drop some more teams out.
Maybe 45 is a good number. It should include sides  then who are outside the relegation points total but only 1 result away from being dragged into it. Although this early in the season the 38 and 45 lines would have no discernable difference. I think there would likely only be 1.5 points between the two lines.

2. I see what you did in making your assessment: you visually mapped out trendlines for each of the teams and extrapolated, that way you can project those 3 dropping more than the others. In a way you're not far of the mark, the thing is, you have to be careful at this stage due to the par 0's.

Take Stoke for example  (see https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=336191.msg15665847#msg15665847). A lot of their games were par 0's, 'bonus games' as I like to think of them. They don't impact on the RAPLT point system in a negative manner, only positively. If you extrapolate with these in mind our perception is skewed. If you exclude these games (but only if no points are gained from them) then you have too small a sample set to make an informed decision. More games will be required to assess them and whether they are a cause for concern.

However taking that aside I would still tend to agree with you - based purely on the graph - that Palace, Swansea & West Brom's continual decline/slope so far does paint them as the ones to watch.
I would argue that aside from Everton (who are actually in the bottom three), those three sides would be the most defensive and slow in attack in the Premier League. At the moment, all three have British managers too - continuing on from my bashing of Phil Neville in the Everton thread.

Relegation APLT: Week 9

So this week, I've removed Leicester and Stoke and Brighton is included in the mix. Newcastle are on the cusp as they currently sit on 0 points. They drop any more and you'll see them soon.

Two very interesting teams in this are Everton and Southampton. Southampton are 10th on the table but are 3rd bottom here. Whereas Everton are 18th on the table, yet are only 7th bottom on this. I assume without even looking at fixtures that Southampton have played a lot of the bottom 10 so far. They have a fair amount of points from them to be in 10th but nowhere near enough considering who they played. They likely have most of the top 6 sides in their next 9 games. Everton I assume the opposite is true, they have played more difficult games, not got the points but have games they should expect points from to come over their next 9 games?

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 1, 2017, 01:39:43 pm »
Two very interesting teams in this are Everton and Southampton. Southampton are 10th on the table but are 3rd bottom here. Whereas Everton are 18th on the table, yet are only 7th bottom on this. I assume without even looking at fixtures that Southampton have played a lot of the bottom 10 so far. They have a fair amount of points from them to be in 10th but nowhere near enough considering who they played. They likely have most of the top 6 sides in their next 9 games. Everton I assume the opposite is true, they have played more difficult games, not got the points but have games they should expect points from to come over their next 9 games?

Correct as always

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 1, 2017, 01:45:23 pm »
Another thing to consider is that Everton's next game is at home to Watford.
Lose that and they drop 3 points into joint 3rd (from bottom) if the other games remain to par.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #172 on: November 1, 2017, 04:20:40 pm »
Another thing to consider is that Everton's next game is at home to Watford.
Lose that and they drop 3 points into joint 3rd (from bottom) if the other games remain to par.
Wow, Southampton's fixtures have been super easy up until now. The Pochettino Southampton (or even Koeman) would have them among the top sides with that lot at the moment.

Pellegrino has a job on to get them some points between now and January or they could get dragged into the bottom group.

Said it in the summer but retaining VVD was just a very stupid decision. They went into the season carrying a load of center backs and extremely light on creation and pace in attack. Benching Boufal just compounded matters.

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #173 on: November 1, 2017, 04:55:35 pm »

Offline Tumbleweed

• Anny Roader
  • Pax Bisonica
« Reply #174 on: November 2, 2017, 03:31:47 pm »
That is depressing as fuck.

Am I right in thinking that 6pts of that are made up of the defeats to Spurs and City?
“To wage war three things are necessary; money, money, and yet more money”
Gian-Jacopo Trivulzio, Marshall of France (1499)

"The club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club"
Jürgen Klopp (2018)

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 2, 2017, 03:52:42 pm »
Am I right in thinking that 6pts of that are made up of the defeats to Spurs and City?

No, -1 each at city and spurs as they were both away games.

-2 Watford
-2 Burnley
+2 Leicester
-2 Newcastle
-2 United

We have a chance to win 2 points back this Saturday at West Ham.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: November 5, 2017, 12:23:23 pm »

-2 Watford
-2 Burnley
+2 Leicester
-2 Newcastle
-2 United

We have a chance to win 2 points back this Saturday at West Ham.

That amounts to -10 and not accurate. No -2 against Watford as it was a par 1 game. So was yesterday against West Ham. We're onto -6 now.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #177 on: November 5, 2017, 12:46:47 pm »
That amounts to -10 and not accurate. No -2 against Watford as it was a par 1 game. So was yesterday against West Ham. We're onto -6 now.

Look at the OP. Watford was a par 3. The numbers quoted there do add up to -8, with City and Spurs in the preceding paragraph.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #178 on: November 5, 2017, 01:24:57 pm »
Look at the OP. Watford was a par 3. The numbers quoted there do add up to -8, with City and Spurs in the preceding paragraph.

My bad. We gained two by winning at Leicester (which I didn't account for and assumed that Watford was a par 1).

Considering we're now at -6, the Burnley and Newcastle draws are really hurting now more than other results. Stretching a bit, even Man United game was there for the taking. Had we broken those resolute defenses once more in each game (and we clearly had the chances to do so), we'd be at 0 now and on target for 90. Maddening really.

Offline Koprich

• Kopite
« Reply #179 on: November 5, 2017, 03:32:51 pm »
My bad. We gained two by winning at Leicester (which I didn't account for and assumed that Watford was a par 1).

Considering we're now at -6, the Burnley and Newcastle draws are really hurting now more than other results. Stretching a bit, even Man United game was there for the taking. Had we broken those resolute defenses once more in each game (and we clearly had the chances to do so), we'd be at 0 now and on target for 90. Maddening really.

Which is why this system has always been so excellent for tracking performance. It is those stupid draws that cost you over a season.

Arsenal are losing as we speak, if Borinho gets a draw today and we beat Chelsea when we play them, things will start to look a little better.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 5, 2017, 05:16:57 pm »
Although Burnley are doing well this season, so maybe not quite as bad.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 5, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »
Wagwaan?

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #182 on: November 5, 2017, 08:19:59 pm »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 5, 2017, 08:30:05 pm »
Now that's looking better!

Offline Tumbleweed

• Anny Roader
  • Pax Bisonica
« Reply #184 on: November 5, 2017, 09:18:50 pm »

Ah okay, I misunderstood how this table works.
“To wage war three things are necessary; money, money, and yet more money”
Gian-Jacopo Trivulzio, Marshall of France (1499)

"The club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club"
Jürgen Klopp (2018)

Offline Koprich

• Kopite
« Reply #185 on: November 6, 2017, 08:14:36 am »
Two of our trickier Par 3s coming up after the international break. Means we don't actually have an opportunity to move upwards until the Stoke game.

I've looked at our rival's fixtures and I can't work out which one in addition to Arsenal represents our best route into the APLT Top-4.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #186 on: November 6, 2017, 08:53:52 am »
APLT Full Table : Round 11
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #187 on: November 6, 2017, 08:54:42 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Round 11
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #188 on: November 6, 2017, 08:55:29 am »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Round 11

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 6, 2017, 09:45:11 am »
I wonder how different this would look if teams like Watford and Newcastle were par 1s and Everton and Leicester, for example, were par 3s. Obviously a lot of this is dependent on the correct categorisation of teams at the start. So whilst we look like we've had a weak start, realistically Watford etc might be taking a lot of points off top teams.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 6, 2017, 12:00:48 pm »

Starting to move in the right direction. 

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 6, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »
Starting to move in the right direction.

Yeah, things have improved quite a bit in the last few weeks and they'll be even better after the break.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 6, 2017, 07:01:18 pm »
I wonder how different this would look if teams like Watford and Newcastle were par 1s and Everton and Leicester, for example, were par 3s. Obviously a lot of this is dependent on the correct categorisation of teams at the start. So whilst we look like we've had a weak start, realistically Watford etc might be taking a lot of points off top teams.

Last season, with regards the relegation table we had a big debate about Leicester being considered good/Par 3 (they were champions after all) and Everton being considered not so good, but have comfortably been approximately the 7th best team in the PL in recent years, overall.

Somebody posted earlier about that old midtable clique of the likes of Everton, Stoke, Soton, West Brom slowly disappearing into the "bottom" teams.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #193 on: November 6, 2017, 07:06:59 pm »
I look at it more as the par 1s being ‘the hardest places to go’.  Even when they’re crap, Goodison, Stoke, Leicester or St James’s Park still feel like you’re doing alright in the scheme of things to come away with a draw, which I never really feel about Southampton or Palace.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #194 on: November 7, 2017, 06:27:19 pm »
For me, the APLT and the Equivalent Fixtures from previous season are the tables that I'd like to follow over the course of every season and I've done this in the recent seasons.

While the APLT currently sets the context on the points scored over the number of (expected) difficult opposition we have played Away so far, the Equivalent Fixture results sets the context on how much we have improved from last season against the same opposition.

After the shambolic Away results against City and Spurs, we'd be surprised to know that we're +1 on points from equivalent fixtures last season and 0 GD. Sets into context all the goals that we've conceded and the opposition we have faced so far are not really that comfortable for us. But we have also managed to scored more in the equivalent fixtures somehow cancelling the large number of Away goals we have conceded. We drew the next two fixtures (Southampton Home and Chelsea Home) last season, let's see how many we're able to gain from them. The more we gain, the more we will be on track to notch 76 points + 'points gained over last season'.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #195 on: November 7, 2017, 08:20:52 pm »
Good post  ^
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #196 on: November 7, 2017, 09:00:13 pm »
For me, the APLT and the Equivalent Fixtures from previous season are the tables that I'd like to follow over the course of every season and I've done this in the recent seasons.

While the APLT currently sets the context on the points scored over the number of (expected) difficult opposition we have played Away so far, the Equivalent Fixture results sets the context on how much we have improved from last season against the same opposition.

After the shambolic Away results against City and Spurs, we'd be surprised to know that we're +1 on points from equivalent fixtures last season and 0 GD. Sets into context all the goals that we've conceded and the opposition we have faced so far are not really that comfortable for us. But we have also managed to scored more in the equivalent fixtures somehow cancelling the large number of Away goals we have conceded. We drew the next two fixtures (Southampton Home and Chelsea Home) last season, let's see how many we're able to gain from them. The more we gain, the more we will be on track to notch 76 points + 'points gained over last season'.
Out of curiosity, how do you treat newly promoted sides in the latter?

For me, it makes sense to take an average of points gained against the relegated sides. Reason being if you take Hull, who beat us last season, or Boro, who we beat, you are talking a swing of 3 points. We could be either +1 or -2 depending on which relegated team you assign to which promoted team.

Whereas an average of points gained from the relegated sides split over the 3 newly promoted sides should give you a more accurate viewpoint.

Agree with everything you said about the usefulness of the tables btw. Good post mate.

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 7, 2017, 09:38:41 pm »
Out of curiosity, how do you treat newly promoted sides in the latter?

For me, it makes sense to take an average of points gained against the relegated sides. Reason being if you take Hull, who beat us last season, or Boro, who we beat, you are talking a swing of 3 points. We could be either +1 or -2 depending on which relegated team you assign to which promoted team.

Whereas an average of points gained from the relegated sides split over the 3 newly promoted sides should give you a more accurate viewpoint.

Agree with everything you said about the usefulness of the tables btw. Good post mate.

If I remember correctly you simply replace the top promoted team, with the top relegated team; 2nd placed promoted team with the 2nd placed promoted team; likewise for the 3rd placed team. It's not an exact replacement but it's a logical and simple/effective method of making a comparative analysis considering the situation.In the grand scheme of things it evens itself out, it's what we do here with the APLT.

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 8, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »
Relegation APLT: Week 11

Ok another change to my format. I think this one will be the final one.
One table with just 7 teams (a lot more eligible)

And one for drmick   ;)

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #199 on: November 8, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »
Relegation APLT: Week 11

Ok another change to my format. I think this one will be the final one.
One table with just 7 teams (a lot more eligible)

And one for drmick   ;)

Cheers mate. The four I highlighted previously - Soton, Palace, West Brom, Swansea - all still look really fucked. Things only moving in one direction for them - Championship direction. Whereas the others have spurts of life in amongst their descent.