Author Topic: Preview - Everton v Liverpool - Sun 28 Oct 2012, 13:30  (Read 88545 times)

royhendo

Preview - Everton v Liverpool - Sun 28 Oct 2012, 13:30
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:30:11 am »
It's a tasty one this year, isn't it?

Everton sit in 4th place with 15 points, and have lost only once, away to West Brom in familiar circumstances (some good football, some good open passing play, but without enough incision in the final third). Meanwhile, they've chalked up some fine performances including a resounding home victory against Manchester United, and a crushing away performance at Swansea, where they looked a bloody impressive outfit. At that point, the kind of talk that gives a club and its fans vertigo kicked in, with chat of a realistic tilt at the top four slots... only for two relatively disappointing draws to follow in quick succession.

It's early days yet, but Everton currently sit six points ahead of the Reds, and look a good strong test for us in Sunday's game at Goodison.

With summer signings Kevin Miraillas and Steven Naismith looking useful squad additions, and with Baines and Fellaini looking pretty imperious thus far, it's a boost to Liverpool's hopes that Steven Pienaar is suspended for this game following his sending off at Loftus Road.

Three areas seem key.

The full back/'wing' duels

Everton boast possibly the tastiest of tasty left backs (outside of Jordi Alba) in the shape of Leighton Baines. He already boasts 2 goals and 2 assists for the season already, with several outstanding showings thrown in, leading to his England call up, and media calls for his permanent inclusion in the national team.

Liverpool, meanwhile, boast possibly the tastiest of tasty right backs, albeit playing out of position (and out of his skin) on the wrong side.

Meanwhile, the excellent Everton fans' radio show "The Blue Room" (on City Talk) rightly highlighted the form of Raheem Sterling as posing a selection quandary for them on the other side - that they'd prefer to see the experience of a Phil Neville pitted against him instead of the youthful exuberance of Seamus Coleman.

At the same time, Liverpool's Andre Wisdom has emerged as a robust and reliable option on the right, and will perhaps have an easier time of it than would otherwise have been the case had Stephen Pienaar not been suspended.

As such, the duals in the wide areas could be key - gaining the upper hand will in large part dictate the flow of the game.

A Busy Midfield
It's likely to be a busy day in the centre of the park. The tempo's always high, but it's not just Liverpool who are looking to build play through the middle of the park these days. Yes, Everton perhaps have more of a tendency to play direct, but equally, both teams are strong in midfield. If Liverpool are to assert themselves in the game, as you'd expect, we'll need our personnel in the middle (not just the midfield three) to outman and outwork their counterparts.

Fellaini has been borderline unplayable at times so far this season, most notably in the Manchester United game, where the away side didn't seem to know what to do with him. Again, it's fortunate that Pienaar isn't going to be available... and you'd tentatively expect whichever trio Rodgers fields to gain sway in this part of the pitch, albeit it'll be keenly contested, and the onus will be on Everton not to play as if theyr'e the away side. That could work in Liverpool's favour.

Clinicism Up Front
Both sides will have chances, and while Everton have striker who can score at the merest sniff of goal in the shape of Jelavic (four goals to date this season), Liverpool have shown a tendency to create chances (possibly more clear cut chances than we saw last season) but squander them to a profligate extent.

Yes, Suarez has scored one more than Jelavic, but the mind boggles at the thought of how many he could have had thus far, and at the impact that might have had on our points tally and goal difference to date.

The need for calm, patience, and clinicism will also extend to the supporting cast, and both defences will need to be resolute and focussed throughout.

False League Positions?

In comparative terms, Everton's had an easier run of eight games than Liverpool so far this season, with their only really big tests to date arguably the two home fixtures against Manchester United and Liverpool. We meanwhile have faced Manchester City, Arsenal, and Manchester United at home, as well as the buggers that are Sunderland away and Stoke at home. That, perhaps in part, explains the disparity in the two league positions; however, we could have been far closer, despite the tough opening.

Small details dictate your fortunes as a football team, and it's fair to say the ability to finish and the tendency not to concede cheaply via lapses in concentration are they key things that contrast Everton's start with Liverpool's. Both sides, however, have played open and progressive football, with pace on the counter, and quality through the middle of the pitch. It should be a very good game indeed.

Me personally? I expect a 1-2 in our favour, with Everton getting a late consolation striker, and us holding out against a late re-enactment of Custer's Last Stand.

Brad Jones for President, we'll cry!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:31:48 am by royhendo »

royhendo

Re: Preview - Everton v Liverpool - Sun 28 Oct 2012, 13:30
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:17 am »
Is Fellaini gonna play?

Offline HermanToothrot

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:03:33 am »
One of those fixtures where anything can happen. No point trying to predict this.

Should be a decent game. Everton win, they go 9 points clear of us, but a win for us, and 4th is all of a sudden on our doorstep.

I thought I heard Fellaini was suspended, but I can't be sure. I hope so!

I will go for a 1-1, though like I mentioned, it could end up anything (4-4 anyone? Gary Mac? Nicky Barmby!).

Offline Reepicheep

• Main Stander
  • This is where we fight! This is where they die!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:56 am »
I thought I heard Fellaini was suspended, but I can't be sure. I hope so!

Him and gibson both have been injured the past few weeks.Physioroom reckons that they should both be back by the derby though.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:32:34 am »
Fellani recovered according to Mirror.

Gerrard to have a good one.

Let's not remember what happened last year as Carroll scored and Suarez got Rodwell sent off.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:33:48 am »
Could see the refs favouring Everton with Rodwell's red card last year...
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline And CouldHe Play!

• but not And Could He Play, different bloke entirely.
  • Kopite
  • Shakedown, 1979
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:35:56 am »
Afroman is back but Pienaar is suspended. Hopefully we see a performance where we lift our game against a rival, as opposed to a repeat of Arsenal where we played the 1st team twice in a week
Fuck it, I'm taking me dog for a walk. The pair of us are completely bollocksed and take turns a piece dragging one another along. We look a bit like one of Roy's midfield pairings, but with a wee bit more guile and panache. Well, on the dog's side, anyway

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 09:38:09 am »
Very very nervous about this game.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:45:33 am »
Rinse & Repeat Please ...
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:45:34 am »
Agree with Herman above, it is one of those games thats impossible to predict. I expect Shelvey to get a start to add some 'steel' as BR referred to last night, probably for Sahin. Have concerns that Suarez looked knackered by the end of the game last night and Gerrard struggles with 2 games in such proximity. Hopefully he might be a little more sprightly because of who it is.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:47:22 am »
Going to be a long game..

I'm always an optimist going into a game but this one here I can see us loosing by a big margin.

Tempo in this games is crazy and we just played full hard core 90 mins against anzhi and have something like 2 days to recover, No way in hell will we play up to our best.
Both Suarez and Gerrard looked fucked in the second half, despite them working their asses off simple mistakes were done due to the tiredness.

I also Wouldn't Play Sahin in this one, the Tempo might be to fast for him, Shelvey didn't impress either yesterday. Henderson would be my pick along side Allen with Gerrard in front of them. At least that midfield could cope with the tempo, with Henderson and Allen having fresh legs.

Widsom-Suso on the right hand side doesn't offer much offensively as Suso is cutting inside much and Wisdom doesn't have that attacking ability to push all the way up out wide. Think we Might suffer a bit from that as we need more goals to come from out wide.

There are Plenty of question that will be answered on sunday, hopefully all of them in a positive matter. That said, realistically speaking, I can see Everton winning this one comfortably. Jelavic and Fellaini to score. 
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:49:27 am »
Interesting shout re Henderson (almost forgot we had him!), might be a good fit with the energy required for this game, less likely to be red carded too.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 10:04:08 am »
0-0 all over this. Don't think we are clinical enough and it will cost us. Everton will look to be quick off the blocks and try to get at us so we are gonna have to slow the pace of the game down. Patience is the key here, they are no worldies. They lack mobility through the middle with Fellaini and Neville so Henderson is made for this game. I would try 3-4-3 but doubt it will happen. Our pressing needs to be constant, their midfield are poor under pressure but we are going to be too tired to do it effectively.

Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Suso, Suarez, Sterling

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 10:12:45 am »
Perfect game for Hendo to step up and shine. He's should be bursting with energy. Reckon the game is gonna be pretty tight, with the battle in midfield. For all the focus on our possession based game, we can be deceptively quick on the break, and I think Sterling's pace will threaten them. I'm not too sure about Gerrard in this, he looked knackered against Anzhi, and I wouldn't want a repeat of his performance against Arsenal, but then again its a Merseyside Derby, he lives for this kinda games. Still pretty unsure whether Wisdom or Enrique should start this one, but Enrique would certainly add more balance to our left flanks, and with his overlapping runs, Sterling will thrive in the stretched spaces, the same could be the same for Suso and Glen.

Here's what I would go for:

Reina/Jones

Glen      Skrtel         Agger     Enrique

Hendo              Allen

Gerrard

Suso         Suarez       Sterling

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:19:25 am »
Is Fellaini gonna play?

Andy burnham expects him to play

Pienaar is certainly out though

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 10:20:20 am »
When was the last time we won 3 games in a row. I remember we didn't do it once last season. Anyone know?

I have a bad feeling about this one seeing as we played our first team last night. would love to see Henderson get a start over Sahin to keep the midfield fresh. SOme changes will need to be made IMO. Suso is well rested and sterling only played 45 mins last night.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 10:22:13 am »
Agree with Herman above, it is one of those games thats impossible to predict. I expect Shelvey to get a start to add some 'steel' as BR referred to last night, probably for Sahin. Have concerns that Suarez looked knackered by the end of the game last night and Gerrard struggles with 2 games in such proximity. Hopefully he might be a little more sprightly because of who it is.

If its steel he is after then hendo is the man to start. He's fresh as well. His fresh legs will help with our pressing game. Hendo has a determination about him that is suited to a derby battle.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 10:32:04 am »
Interesting shout re Henderson (almost forgot we had him!), might be a good fit with the energy required for this game, less likely to be red carded too.

With Gerrard playing every game in recent weeks and Shelvey potentially being sent off - his tackling isn't the best - Henderson would be a sensible option I think. Certainly alongside Allen. It'd then give us an option of playing Gerrard further upfield or even not at all and maybe introducing him in the second half. I doubt it'll happen though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:33:41 am »
When was the last time we won 3 games in a row. I remember we didn't do it once last season. Anyone know?

Erm yes it was last season. Twice actually.

Brighton away (21st September), Wolves home (24th September), Everton away (1st October)

Arsenal away (20th August), Exeter away (24 August), Bolton home (27th August)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:37:31 am by Thog »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:49 am »
Not too confident but I never am. Although Everton should be approaching one of their slumps as they always do, let's hope it starts on Sunday.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 10:41:34 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20048383

Our good friend Lawro hasn't half spouted some rubbish recently but his prediction for the derby this weekend is quite hilarious.
My favourite quote: "Everton have more quality but Liverpool are still difficult to beat, which is why I am thinking this will end up in a draw.

More quality my arse.

Quite nervous about this though...

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 10:42:35 am »
Anyone know when we last got beat by them? I can't remember for the life of me.
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 10:45:28 am »
Anyone know when we last got beat by them? I can't remember for the life of me.

2-0 at Goodison under Hodgson. 17th October 2010.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 10:49:01 am »
I think the hostile atmosphere could be problematic for wisdom, Suso and sterlo. These players aren't that experienced. Their crowd will know this.

I think Brendan will play Enrique on the left and johno on the right. Wisdom will not feature. He has played the uefa game and the gruelling atmosphere of the derby against baines whilst tired from uefa football is too much for the young lad. Wisdom to be save for the other big game - Swansea in the league cup

I think Suso and sterlo should certainly be given advice from carra and stevie beforehand. I'd also like it if stevie can advise jonjo to keep calm. He hit sent off in the Manu game. We need to keep 11 on the pitch to beat these. This Everton team is really strong. Perhaps the strongest they've had in the last 5 years

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 10:51:07 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20048383

Our good friend Lawro hasn't half spouted some rubbish recently but his prediction for the derby this weekend is quite hilarious.
My favourite quote: "Everton have more quality but Liverpool are still difficult to beat, which is why I am thinking this will end up in a draw.

More quality my arse.

Quite nervous about this though...

They do have more experience than us and are more clinical but I think we still have more quality throughout the team

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 10:52:03 am »
2-0 at Goodison under Hodgson. 17th October 2010.
Yeah and we played so well that day Hodgson was delighted with our most inept Derby performance in years
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 10:53:54 am »
It will be the usual screaming hordes of anti-red, hopefully the younger lads will cope, Suarez will get the worst of it, but you know he is at his best with all the hatred, wont be easy but i cant see us getting beat, if we can conjure up some chances and take them the 3 points are ours

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:53 am »
I think the hostile atmosphere could be problematic for wisdom, Suso and sterlo. These players aren't that experienced. Their crowd will know this.

After what Sterling experienced in Serbia I think he will be fine.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:13 am »
Moyes nearly always loses it in big pressure games, especially against us. He's so desperate to beat us he and his team lose focus and don't play their game. If we keep our heads and play our game we will win. Worried about Suarez with him playing last night, at Reading and the games in South America at altitude. Ideal scenario would be to do the damage early, get him off and see out the game, but when does that ever happen in the derby? :)

Strong midfield of Hendo, Allen & Gerrard. Sahin or Shelvey can come on later when gaps open up and Everton get tired. Johnson on the right would help push Baines back but then we have a problem at left back.... Assume Suso and Raheem will start considering the starting line up for last night's game

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:34 am »
After what Sterling experienced in Serbia I think he will be fine.

That was racism

This is a derby game. It's different. The intensity of their players being charged by the atmosphere to be physical and aggressive is very intimidating. Especially for a slight 17 year old.

The mental battles begin now.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 11:03:03 am »
It will be the usual screaming hordes of anti-red, hopefully the younger lads will cope, Suarez will get the worst of it, but you know he is at his best with all the hatred, wont be easy but i cant see us getting beat, if we can conjure up some chances and take them the 3 points are ours

I'm confident Suarez will cope. He's been experiencing it fit a while now at away games but he raises his game ie Norwich away. The other younger lads I'm not too sure about.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 11:08:37 am »
I'm confident Suarez will cope. He's been experiencing it fit a while now at away games but he raises his game ie Norwich away. The other younger lads I'm not too sure about.
To be fair to them they have coped with most things thrown at them this season, the expectation, the pressure, BR seems to trust them 100% and they are flourishing, Wisdom 6 weeks ago was still in a nappy now look at him, Sterling gets more confident every game, Suso likewise, to be honest i am more worried about the old guard performing to their abilities rather than the kids, they dont have any fear

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 11:12:37 am »
Think Assaidi will start this one myself. Suso to come on and exploit some space with his intelligence.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 11:13:35 am »
They do have more experience than us and are more clinical but I think we still have more quality throughout the team

Agreed.

I think realistically the only blue players that would get in our starting 11 are Baines, Pienaar, Howard (controversial?) and maybe Jelavic considering his chance conversion rate.

That Mirallas looks a bit handy too.

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 11:41:37 am »
With Pienaar out hopfully they half of the threat they posed in the early part of season with him and Baines combining. Fellani if he does plays will be lacking sharpness.

I would start Assaidi. I think his directness would be useful for us on the counter.

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:28 am »
That was racism

This is a derby game. It's different. The intensity of their players being charged by the atmosphere to be physical and aggressive is very intimidating. Especially for a slight 17 year old.

The mental battles begin now.

Don't buy this at all. I'm not the slightest bit worried about Suso, Sterling, or Wisdom dealing with the 'pressure' of this game. Dealing with pressure both physical and mental, is about technique and confidence.....not size and aggression. If anything they've shown more composure under pressure than many of our senior players. I'm much more worried about Gerrard/Suarez's fitness as they were exhausted yesterday. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a midfield three of Sahin, Allen, and Henderson, but obviously Gerrard will be starting.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:47 am »
Yeah and we played so well that day Hodgson was delighted with our most inept Derby performance in years

Would have been utopia to get a win that day.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:19 am »
Easy win to Everton. Rodgers has given up implementing his system and we're running around looking clueless most games. We're not playing as a team.

We are but playing as a team?
We are on an unbeaten run with three clean sheets on the spin. Cant imagine what we would do if we played as team!

Brendan us still implementing his system but is just being more pragmatic. The evidence for us still playing under Brends system was there last night with us passing it, risky, out of defense. Even brad jones was getting in on the act.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 11:56:47 am »
Really tough one to predict this year, think this is the first time in a long time that everton fans will properly fancy their chances against this liverpool side, due to its lack of experience and very youthful apporoach. However, with the youth (i expect sterling, suso and wisdom to all start) comes a balance of experience (gerrard, reina, johnson etc). For many a first derby game can be overwelming but with the likes of those mentioned above i have no doubt that, if played, these classy lads can deliver. Even playing field and will be an open game where both sides fancy their chances...will be a gooden come sunday afternoon...

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »
If our first eleven was well rested, I could see a semi comfortable 2-1 here, but I'm just not sure about Gerrard's fitness. As strange as it feels to say, I'd be more comfortable if our starting three in midfield was Allen, Henderson, and Sahin/Shelvey. I really hope we see Henderson in this match, I think his work ethic and control will be key alongside Allen. Not at all worried about our front three.