Author Topic: Preview - Everton v Liverpool - Sun 28 Oct 2012, 13:30  (Read 88748 times)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
Re: Preview - Everton v Liverpool - Sun 28 Oct 2012, 13:30
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:49 pm »
everton still hopeful fellaini will make it. i'm convinced he'll definitely play some part.

Most likely wont be 100% if they've left it so late so thats a plus for us i suppose, also pienaar is suspended so one of their main attacking threats is out, although he hasnt hurt us much in derby's in the past... will be a tough game but im backing the lads to deliver a solid performance and come back with a win and the three points

Offline liverpoolfan1

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »
I'm just worried that Suarez and Gerrard are going to be absolutely knackered and will not be able to put in good shifts. Really would have preferred those two rested against Anzhi but we just have to deal with it now. One thing is for sure they will both be starting against Everton no matter how tired they are. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:11:06 pm by The 5th Benitle »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Bill Shankly

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
Is is Sunday yet? Really looking forward to this, hopefully LFC will be able to cure my hangover.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2012, 03:44:42 pm »
Survive the first 20 minutes of agression from the bitters, and then slow it down and pass it around and slowly gain control of the game.

Everton tactics are simple, kick us the first 20 minutes and hopes it affects us the rest of the game. Otherwise their tactics is just lump to Fellaini and hope he gcan get it down and distribute it. If we survive the first 20 minutes without getting frustrated, I think we will win.

Allen will be key and our patience, dont try to force things, and we will be fine.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2012, 03:49:35 pm »
I'd love to see Shelvey and Henderson start. I was dissapointed Henderson didn't play last night.

Might be even more disappointed in Jan or the summer then in terms of Henderson.

Highly doubt Henderson will be starting.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2012, 03:50:44 pm »
Rodgers has the potential to be a top manager. But it's clear that the ideas and style at the start of the season have been discarded for a more robust attitude which - as it happens - has won us games and seen us keeping clean sheets. As I said, hopefully once we've settled and have points under our belts and some of the pressure is off, we'll see us once again taking that mantle and turn into a great team to watch. We're a bit all over the place and it isn't pretty. But it is winning. But there is a long, long way to go yet.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:12:03 pm by The 5th Benitle »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »
I didn't say that. He has the potential to be a top manager. But it's clear that the ideas and style at the start of the season have been discarded for a more robust attitude which - as it happens - has won us games and seen us keeping clean sheets. As I said, hopefully once we've settled and have points under our belts and some of the pressure is off, we'll see us once again taking that mantle and turn into a great team to watch. We're a bit all over the place and it isn't pretty. But it is winning. But there is a long, long way to go yet.

But you said we were going to get beat because he'd discarded his system. Here you are saying him doing so has got us winning games. I am confused. Or rather, you are confused.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »
I didn't say that. He has the potential to be a top manager. But it's clear that the ideas and style at the start of the season have been discarded for a more robust attitude which - as it happens - has won us games and seen us keeping clean sheets.

The reason he has probably toned down on his system a little is because we don't have enough of the players with the right mentality and technical ability to pull it off right now, but it's clear already that he has taken steps to establish his pass and move philosphy and his high pressing philosphy when we don't have the ball.

You can't go ahead with a new system full tilt when your captain and your star striker play in a way completely contradictory. What Rodgers has done is implement the basics of his philosophy and trying to find a middle ground to start getting results. No matter how good his philosphy, without the points on the board, he wont get the time to implement it in the long run.

It's going to take him 2-3 years as we are still a long way off due to lacking the personel.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:01:37 pm by LFC_4_life »

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »
Maybe the team is getting used to the system?

The gap between the back 4 and the high pressing line has definitely got closer meaning we aren't as exposed to counter attacks. Rodgers has asked the defence to be brave and push up and now they have. We have more completed passes in the Europa League than any other team and our pressing is more coordinated than earlier in the season so I think we are progressing actually. Our recent performances are a lot more solid but maybe lack a bit of the flair of earlier in the season but I don't think the style has changed at all

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2012, 04:10:05 pm »
But you said we were going to get beat because he'd discarded his system. Here you are saying him doing so has got us winning games. I am confused. Or rather, you are confused.

No. I think that we're going to get beaten because currently Everton are a better team than us and are bang in form at the moment.

We certainly have it in us to win there, but it seems unlikely. A win on Sunday would be fantastic and obviously something I'm hoping for. But I'm realistic and given their form, the fact that they've had more rest and that some of our top performers are being inconsistant then you'd have to face the possibility they will win. Would love it if we trounced them though.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »
The reason he has probably toned down on his system a little is because we don't have enough of the players with the right mentality and technical ability to pull it off right now, but it's clear already that he has taken steps to establish his pass and move philosphy and his high pressing philosphy when we don't have the ball.

You can't go ahead with a new system full tilt when your captain and your star striker play in a way completely contradictory. What Rodgers has done is implement the basics of his philosophy and trying to find a middle ground to start getting results. No matter how good his philosphy, without the points on the board, he wont get the time to implement it in the long run.

It's going to take him 2-3 years as we are still a long way off due to lacking the personel.

Again I agree with all that. Spot on.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »
Desperate for us to win. But as i said in the Everton thread in the Hilsborough part of the forum, anyone who is going dont forget the classy tribute from Everton Football Club and their fans at their game against Newcastle a few days after the H.I.P. released its findings. Dont get involved in tit for tat nasty chants like the one Lescott used to get when he played for the Blue Shi... sorry i mean Everton. ;)

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »
Need to play Assaidi in this game if you ask me. We need someone to run at their defence and this is the player to do it for us

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »
No. I think that we're going to get beaten because currently Everton are a better team than us and are bang in form at the moment.

We certainly have it in us to win there, but it seems unlikely. A win on Sunday would be fantastic and obviously something I'm hoping for. But I'm realistic and given their form, the fact that they've had more rest and that some of our top performers are being inconsistant then you'd have to face the possibility they will win. Would love it if we trounced them though.

so everton are bang in form you say

drawn two lost one of their last 3. vs qpr, southampton and wigan.

and we have won our last 3, but they are bang in form and the better team.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2012, 04:24:27 pm »

Across the season yes. If we win on Sunday then that'll be the best result of the campaign so far and it really could have a massive impact on the season.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2012, 04:43:26 pm »
The general consensus going into the last few derbies is that it's been theirs to lose. It's obviously made it a little bit more sweeter when we beat them. Are they a decent side and playing well? No doubt. Are they something to be scared of? Definitely not. Osman and Neville in the middle probably. No Pienaar. Fellaini either out or not fit ( if he plays it might be a blessing in disguise; they will no doubt hoof it to him and try and cause havoc that way thus giving us more of the ball ).

I'm not worried. I'm confident. We should all be.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »
We have more completed passes in the Europa League than any other team

9 points would be better, but I'll take it!  That's a nice sign of good things to come.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2012, 05:06:50 pm »
I'm actually very much looking forward to this game (obviously, it's Everton) and think we should get a positive result.  I really like our chances in this one.

Everton will want to play football, they will want possession of the ball and will look to get forward when they have it.  This wont be Stoke or Reading.  I don't think Everton will be satisfied sitting back, conceeding possesion and trying to hit us on the counter.  In fact, I think tactically it should be two teams both trying to do the same thing.  I think that should make for a very enjoyable contest.  Everton are probably a little bit better in front of goal, converting chances, but I think we are a little stronger in the middle of the pitch.

Tim Howard has not been in form recently, both for Everton and for the US.  Pienaar is suspended and that could mark the difference for us. 

Their strength will be Baines against Suso/Wisdom?  I think this will be a great test for the youngsters, if we go that way.

Ultimately, I think our midfield will do a better job of keeping possession for us.  I think we win 2-0.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2012, 05:09:00 pm »

The press is only high on Everton because the usually start so poorly.  They have lost to Leeds, WBA....drawn w/ Newcastle, QPR, Wigan....beat United, Southampon, Leyton, Swansea, Villa...Take away the shock United win and they look very average, which they are.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline HermanToothrot

• Main Stander
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »
Maybe Coates was rested so he would play against the threat of Fellaini?

Unlikely, but then BR is not afraid to make big decisions it seems.

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2012, 05:11:29 pm »
Moyes doesn't know how to prepare his players for the derby games. He either accepts they are underdogs and they're beat before they come out, or they're favorites (like last season) and he's all at sea. If we keep our heads and approach this in the right way then that should go a long way to us getting a result. I also think Henderson alongside a rested Joe Allen could be a great shout.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2012, 05:12:37 pm »
Wisdom has done really well since coming into the team but he'll be up against Baines if he starts and that will be a very tough test. I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers brought Enrique back in and switched Johnson to right back but IMO Johnson is a far better left back than right back.

Assaidi impressed last night and may just be the sort of player that would thrive in such a game - I'd be tempted to throw him in ahead of Suso - he'll definitely cause problems for Hibbert and looks in confident mood.

The midfield will be interesting. Allen will definitely start, as will Gerrard which leaves one place up for grabs between Sahin, Shelvey and Henderson. Shelvey is probably best suited to this type of game but I worry about him doing something stupid again. Henderson didn't play last night which makes me wonder if Rodgers was saving him for this game or if he just simply doesn't rate him just yet. Sahin is a player that might let this type of game pass him by but with Gerrard and Allen I think he provides a good balance; a better balance than Shelvey and Gerrard together as both like to roam forward whereas Sahin is content to control the play from deep.

Everton have had a good season so far but the absence of Pienaar as well as doubts about Fellaini's fitness gives me a bit of confidence. Those 2 are key players but they still have danger men in Jelavic, Baines and Mirallas.

I think if we defend well as we have been doing in recent games, create chances as we have been but actually finish them off we have a good chance but a draw wouldn't be the worst result.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2012, 05:14:36 pm »
The press is only high on Everton because the usually start so poorly.  They have lost to Leeds, WBA....drawn w/ Newcastle, QPR, Wigan....beat United, Southampon, Leyton, Swansea, Villa...Take away the shock United win and they look very average, which they are.

Very true mate, the media seem be making everton slight favourites for the game sunday but as you mentioned, on form, we're the better side despite thier positive start influencing a lot of the prasie that has gone to moyes and his side so far this campaign. Think the win over united has defined their season so far, rightly to, but take that game out of their run and then it looks standard, since they blew a late lead at home to newcastle and almost got turned over by an average to poor wigan team a coupe of weekends ago at the DW

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2012, 05:15:41 pm »
Maybe Coates was rested so he would play against the threat of Fellaini?

Unlikely, but then BR is not afraid to make big decisions it seems.

1. Why would he change a defence that has kept 3 consecutive clean sheets?
2. Fellaini might not start.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:34 pm »

If you go through each team 1 by 1 I'd say we have the stronger team. Everton go through Fellaini most of the time, deal with him and they seem to struggle (EVE Vs WBA)
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:58 pm »

even if he does start, its more than likely that he wont be near 100% either since moyes is leaving the decision so late...

Offline HermanToothrot

• Main Stander
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2012, 05:18:53 pm »

i'm not saying he will....Just a small possibilty. I didn't expect Suso to come on at half time vs United, but he did.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »
We haven't had a penalty this season, have we? It's about time we were given one. Whoever the referee will be should make not of that.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
What's Marriner like for us stats wise?

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
Marriner's stats when he has refereed LFC:

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2012, 05:40:21 pm »
Here is Marriner's refereeing record for Everton:

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »
Mid-table championship manager at best

4 defeats in 16 matches in charge of a new club, two of these defeats vs utd and Arsenal, and a very unlucky game vs udinese.

Can't win with some people

they scream for the kdis to be played, he plays the kids and still gets results. We play some really good stuff, the guy obviously knows what he's doing. He genuine, down to earth, hes one of us.

wait till be beat Everton, because we will, and this place will be hilarious.,

I'd hate to depend on some of the people that post this shite to have my back. turn on you after two minutes. There is no loyalty or faith at this club anymore. Which is something people before us spent a hundred years trying to teach us.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »
Think he has three big selection headaches:

LB if Johnson is out. Wisdom starts for me at RB.

Sahin or Shelvey to play alongside Allen / SG.

LW is an issue too. Who plays there? Suso, Downing or Assaidi. Other option is too play Sterling there and play SG wide right with Shelvey in the middle but that won't happen.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Kop Yank

• Main Stander
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2012, 05:58:23 pm »
My starting eleven prediction.

I think the key to this game is to pin back Bains.   IMO the best way to pin any player back is raw speed.  I think this makes Sterling  a clear favorite to start over suso on the right.   This in turn should give a start to Assaidi on the left with suarez in the middle of the front three.  If things stagnate, look for a possible suso sub at 60 pushing raheem over to the left and taking out Assaidi.

Allen and Gerard are definite starters in the middle.  No way your captain doesn't start in this game even if he really really really needs a rest.  I think BR knows Gerard must have tired legs so will play him deep alongside allen with only one attacking mid this game.  This will probably result in a start for Shelvey over Hendo based solely on the need for a more attacking mid when two are playing deep.

I think the back four will stay the same with three clean sheets in a row.  With Assaidi and Johnson looking great on the left and enrique still not 100%, Wisdom will be risked on the right in exchange for a mismatch on the left.

In goal, I'm sure alarm bells are going off in Pepe's head with two clean sheets from Brad, so I expect him claim full health in order to force a start.

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Rodgers is so old scool, i only see him in black and white.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »
OK reopened. If you have had posts deleted, please don't worry it's not the end of the world as two whole pages of circular squabbling and lightweight posts have been binned and your masterpiece may have been caught in the crossfire :)

Please be civil to each other and respectful of our players and managers - it really isn't that much to ask.

Reporting to moderator doesn't make you a grass - it helps us moderate the site. Much better to do that than jump on someone you believe to be a 'WUM'

Oh and the 'bib theory' can fuck off.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2012, 06:28:44 pm »
pleased with the win and performance last night

i think will will see somethink similar on sunday

all our defenders are on top form which is good to see

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »
I would think we would play Suso on the right because Bianes likes to get tight to his marker. Since Suso plays almost like another midfielder rather than a winger I can see Baines getting sucked up the field and Suarez will just drift into the right hand channel all game, much like during the FA Cup smei-final.

Another equally valid tactic is to wait till Everton balls it up as they usually do against us. We have only lost 1 in 6 derby games I believe.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2012, 06:40:13 pm »
I would think we would play Suso on the right because Bianes likes to get tight to his marker. Since Suso plays almost like another midfielder rather than a winger I can see Baines getting sucked up the field and Suarez will just drift into the right hand channel all game, much like during the FA Cup smei-final.

Another equally valid tactic is to wait till Everton balls it up as they usually do against us. We have only lost 1 in 6 derby games I believe.
Could play Sterling on the right to exploit the space left by Baines as he bombs forwards

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »
"He's not a definite but I think he's got a good chance" David Moyes hopeful Marouane Fellaini will start against LFC

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2012, 06:45:36 pm »
"He's not a definite but I think he's got a good chance" David Moyes hopeful Marouane Fellaini will start against LFC

fellaini is one of evertons most important players so i think he will play

the good news for us is that agger and skrtel are on top form