Author Topic: The Pyramids  (Read 74720 times)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Pyramids
« Reply #200 on: October 4, 2017, 06:45:06 pm »
Make a loop out of rope, and tie 12 knots in it. Pull tight at key point knots 3, 7 and 12 units along its length - you have yourself a right angle.

I'm well aware of the theory mate, trust me - as I said, I've set out grids on sites I've worked on. However, even with modern survey tapes it's incredibly hard to set out a grid to the degree of accuracy that the Great Pyramid exhibits - that's why most modern archaeological sites and construction sites (and I've worked on both) tend to use EDMs, where possible. I don't mean to have a go, I'm just stating the facts as I see it, from experience gained in my own working life. If the pyramid is as accurately laid out as claimed - and the accuracy element I've read in several (non-conspiratorial) sources - then that's one hell of an impressive feat of engineering. Nothing alien, mysterious or magical about it, but very impressive engineering.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #201 on: October 4, 2017, 06:55:16 pm »
This seems plausible...accuracy achieved via a light source.... a bit like a modern laser level...

...The tombs are aligned north-south with an accuracy of up to 0.05 degrees. How the Egyptians did this has been unclear. Today, you could align a building north-south by pointing the sides towards the pole star, which sits roughly at true north. However, a wobble in the Earth’s axis of rotation (called precession), means that the positions of the stars changes gradually over time.

In the third millennium BC, no star sat at the north pole. Instead, all the stars in the north sky rotated around an imaginary point marking the north pole.

Experts thought the ancient Egyptians might have watched a single star circle this imaginary point and aligned their pyramid with the circle’s centre.

Alternatively, they might have measured north by tracking the path of the Sun. Either way, the accuracy with which they mastered this should have been about the same during the entire pyramid-building period.

But the accuracy wasn’t constant, Kate Spence of Cambridge University points out. Instead, the alignment of successive pyramids first steadily improved up to the building of the Great Pyramid, then later deteriorated. This makes perfect sense, she says, if the architects were measuring the alignment using not one star, but two: Mizar in Ursa Major (the Big Dipper) and Kochab in Ursa Minor (the Little Dipper).

Rewinding the astronomical clock using modern computers shows that the two stars rotated around the pole opposite each other in the Old Kingdom sky. In other words, an imaginary line joining the stars passed through the north pole. When the two stars lay vertically above each other, both would mark the position of true north for the pyramid builders.

However, due to precession, the line joining Mizar and Kochab only drifted into precise alignment with the north pole in 2467 BC, then wandered away (see graphic). The orientation of successive pyramids faithfully tracks this drift, Spence says, explaining the rise and fall of north-south alignment precision.

If Spence is right, it is now possible to use astronomical records to date the pyramids to the nearest five years. For example, construction of the Great Pyramid at Giza began between 2485 and 2475 BC.

“I’m as convinced as I think one can be in archaeology,” Spence says.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn174-pyramid-precision/
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: October 4, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »
I'm well aware of the theory mate, trust me - as I said, I've set out grids on sites I've worked on. However, even with modern survey tapes it's incredibly hard to set out a grid to the degree of accuracy that the Great Pyramid exhibits - that's why most modern archaeological sites and construction sites (and I've worked on both) tend to use EDMs, where possible. I don't mean to have a go, I'm just stating the facts as I see it, from experience gained in my own working life. If the pyramid is as accurately laid out as claimed - and the accuracy element I've read in several (non-conspiratorial) sources - then that's one hell of an impressive feat of engineering. Nothing alien, mysterious or magical about it, but very impressive engineering.

I think, though, having a closed loop will make it much easier to achieve. No measuring, and remeasuring, to get the three distances to meet at three vertices. Of course, you'd need to do other things, like pre-tentioning the rope, just like they do with modern structural cabling to remove the non-true elastic element of stretching (where fibers bed down upon tensioning, but not spring back). I'm no engineer, so someone else might better explain this and/or use more accurate terms than me.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 07:03:28 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #203 on: October 4, 2017, 07:00:24 pm »
Or, 'white' inhabitants of (fictional*) Atlantis were originators of Pharaohian Egypt, the Aztec civilisation, etc.

* For the benefit of wingnuts, Atlantis is fiction.
Wrong

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #204 on: October 4, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »
Just a quick addendum to my post above, I think some people are perhaps getting confused between the precision of the orientation which has always been interesting, but mistaking it as instead a reference to the precision of the structure itself.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: October 4, 2017, 07:06:28 pm »
Wrong

You are mistaken.

I meant the Earth bound Atlantis (somewhere, supposedly, in the Atlantic). That picture is of true Atlantis, on another planet. They even had spin-off documentary series about it.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 4, 2017, 07:08:20 pm »
Just a quick addendum to my post above, I think some people are perhaps getting confused between the precision of the orientation which has always been interesting, but mistaking it as instead a reference to the precision of the structure itself.

Both are impressive it would seem. But, as per your post regarding north/south alignment, nothing magical about it.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: October 4, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »
Atlantis existed after Pangaea broke up.  I learn't that watching a documentary.  8)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #208 on: October 4, 2017, 07:24:24 pm »
But you are using the same kind of 'God of the gaps' arguments put forward by creationists. Just because we don't know how something occurred or works, it does mean we jump to fantastical conclusions. But in this case, it is even worse - we largely know how these feats of engineering were achieved. The Egyptians were not stupid. They had the same brain capacity as 21st century humans. If the Egyptians had produced a stealth bomber, or the LHC, then you might have reason to suppose that something else was going on.

I didn't jump to any fantastical conclusions though. I wasn't suggesting that aliens built them. I was just questioning what we allegedly know, not suggesting anything magical or other worldly.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 4, 2017, 07:26:49 pm »
This seems plausible...accuracy achieved via a light source.... a bit like a modern laser level...

...The tombs are aligned north-south with an accuracy of up to 0.05 degrees. How the Egyptians did this has been unclear. Today, you could align a building north-south by pointing the sides towards the pole star, which sits roughly at true north. However, a wobble in the Earth’s axis of rotation (called precession), means that the positions of the stars changes gradually over time.

In the third millennium BC, no star sat at the north pole. Instead, all the stars in the north sky rotated around an imaginary point marking the north pole.

Experts thought the ancient Egyptians might have watched a single star circle this imaginary point and aligned their pyramid with the circle’s centre.

Alternatively, they might have measured north by tracking the path of the Sun. Either way, the accuracy with which they mastered this should have been about the same during the entire pyramid-building period.

But the accuracy wasn’t constant, Kate Spence of Cambridge University points out. Instead, the alignment of successive pyramids first steadily improved up to the building of the Great Pyramid, then later deteriorated. This makes perfect sense, she says, if the architects were measuring the alignment using not one star, but two: Mizar in Ursa Major (the Big Dipper) and Kochab in Ursa Minor (the Little Dipper).

Rewinding the astronomical clock using modern computers shows that the two stars rotated around the pole opposite each other in the Old Kingdom sky. In other words, an imaginary line joining the stars passed through the north pole. When the two stars lay vertically above each other, both would mark the position of true north for the pyramid builders.

However, due to precession, the line joining Mizar and Kochab only drifted into precise alignment with the north pole in 2467 BC, then wandered away (see graphic). The orientation of successive pyramids faithfully tracks this drift, Spence says, explaining the rise and fall of north-south alignment precision.

If Spence is right, it is now possible to use astronomical records to date the pyramids to the nearest five years. For example, construction of the Great Pyramid at Giza began between 2485 and 2475 BC.

“I’m as convinced as I think one can be in archaeology,” Spence says.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn174-pyramid-precision/

That is interesting and brings home how old the pyramids are.

So old that the stars were different.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: October 4, 2017, 07:39:14 pm »
I think, though, having a closed loop will make it much easier to achieve. No measuring, and remeasuring, to get the three distances to meet at three vertices. Of course, you'd need to do other things, like pre-tentioning the rope, just like they do with modern structural cabling to remove the non-true elastic element of stretching (where fibers bed down upon tensioning, but not spring back). I'm no engineer, so someone else might better explain this and/or use more accurate terms than me.

That makes sense. I don't think we know exactly what surveying tools they used, but pre-measured triangles, crosses or squares for right angles seems reasonable, in conjunction with measuring cords, sighting staffs and plumb bobs. I'd guess it would have taken considerable time and effort checking and re-checking to set out the initial base and subsequent courses, but given the manpower and time devoted to the construction generally I doubt they were too bothered by the effort needed. It was, quite literally, a monumental mobilisation of manpower and resources.

Anyway, this is dull as fuck, so apologies. I'm sure we're all mostly in agreement that the pyramids are amazing but were merely the result of human ingenuity and effort, and are far more interested in Atlantis and the aliens. To that end, here's an old coin with an alien on it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 4, 2017, 08:18:53 pm »
Not sure why people seem stuck on how they got the blocks to the Pyramid as they were quarried right next to it,only the largest of them were quarried down stream.As for right angles haha we're not talking about Neanderthals ffs.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 4, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »
Not sure why people seem stuck on how they got the blocks to the Pyramid as they were quarried right next to it,only the largest of them were quarried down stream.As for right angles haha we're not talking about Neanderthals ffs.
We're talking 2,000,000 blocks, weighing an average of 2+ tonnes. In twenty years. Using 'primitive' tools.

Simply nonsense.

We're not talking about sacks of spuds. I don't think people appreciate the skill, ingenuity and TIME required to accomplish this.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 4, 2017, 08:43:53 pm »
We're talking 2,000,000 blocks, weighing an average of 2+ tonnes. In twenty years. Using 'primitive' tools.

Simply nonsense.

We're not talking about sacks of spuds. I don't think people appreciate the skill, ingenuity and TIME required to accomplish this.

I think that I do but then I laugh at conspiracy theorists.

You're also ignoring the FACT that not all of the blocks were 2 ton,most of the inner 'blocks' were just filler with some being small enough for a young lad to lob over a two storey house.

At least you have moved on from claiming that they were all ferried to the site.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #214 on: October 4, 2017, 08:46:30 pm »

Simply nonsense.

100,000 per year, about 300 a day. Not unfeasible with huge manpower and multiple production lines. 20 stones an hour.

After 2 million of them, they probably got quite adept.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #215 on: October 4, 2017, 08:47:36 pm »
100,000 per year, about 300 a day. Not unfeasible with huge alienpower and multiple production lines. 20 stones an hour.

;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: October 4, 2017, 08:48:48 pm »
100,000 per year, about 300 a day. Not unfeasible with huge manpower and multiple production lines. 20 stones an hour.

After 2 million of them, they probably got quite adept.

Did they form a blockchain?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 4, 2017, 08:49:01 pm »
I think that I do but then I laugh at conspiracy theorists.

You're also ignoring the FACT that not all of the blocks were 2 ton,most of the inner 'blocks' were just filler with some being small enough for a young lad to lob over a two storey house.

At least you have moved on from claiming that they were all ferried to the site.
Two tonnes is the average weight though. Many of the blocks were multiples of that. That's a pretty big average weight.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #218 on: October 4, 2017, 08:56:57 pm »
That's fucking shocking (the underlying racism, not your post) if true, in this day and age. I can almost understand people holding such views in less enlightened times, and there's ample evidence that they did, but today? Get to fuck.

That said, there are undeniable pyramids on Mars, and a giant stone face, so there was definitely Ancient Egyptian - extraterrestrial contact. This is no conspiracy theory, it's scientific fact. There may be no actual evidence for it beyond a few grainy images but it's still scientific fact. Maybe the Egyptians influenced the Martians, or there could have been some kind of two-way cross-pollenisation of ideas, art and technology. At this stage we simply don't have enough evidence to make any definitive interpretations.

Can’t be arsed to search for the ‘not sure if serious’ gif so at the risk of being woodshed I will just ask the question.

‘Are you serious?’
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 4, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
Two tonnes is the average weight though. Many of the blocks were multiples of that. That's a pretty big average weight.

By many you mean very few.

to be honest you're either very,very,very clueless about the Pyramids or you're just playing conspiracy theorist for shits and giggles.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #220 on: October 4, 2017, 09:14:36 pm »
This is no conspiracy theory, it's scientific fact. There may be no actual evidence for it beyond a few grainy images but it's still scientific fact.

Welcome to RAWK Dr. Fox.

If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: October 4, 2017, 09:16:46 pm »
Didn't NASA say they have discovered what looks like pyramids on Mars?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 4, 2017, 09:17:48 pm »
The AVERAGE weight is two tonnes.

You're talking about young lads lobbing rocks over two story houses.

And I am clueless, just like everyone else is about Giza. I'm not trying to fool myself though.

We don't know. And until we do, stop pretending.

Hold on. 300 blocks (averaging 2 tonnes) a day? Using 'primitive' tools?

The average bricklayer barely does that.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 4, 2017, 09:17:59 pm »
You may very well be correct mate. I've never used water to set elevation, but from personal experience I know how hard it is to set up right angles using the 3,4,5 triangle or derivations thereof, from having to set up grids and baselines on sites I've worked on. The larger the site (or square you're setting up), the greater the error tends to be.

I'm not suggesting any sort of supernatural or extraterrestrial influence or assistance, but to have only a few centimetres difference between the lengths of the four bases, when each base was over 200m long, is bloody amazing. In no way is it impossible to achieve using fairly rudimentary technologies, but it's still pretty incredible. I don't mean incredible in the sense that I find it hard to believe, just that I think, fuck, fair play to those guys, that's impressive.

The facing stones are all gone from the great pyramid so what is thus accuracy based on? What’s the source for your statement? 

*edit - and making a 3:4:5 triangle is a piece of piss.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 09:23:57 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: October 4, 2017, 09:22:19 pm »

And I am clueless, just like everyone else is about Giza. I'm not trying to fool myself though.

Hold on. 300 blocks (averaging 2 tonnes) a day? Using 'primitive' tools?

Ok - you tell us then. How long would it have taken? And why the fuck would they bother if it takes a thousand years to build one?

Also could you answer the same questions for all the other massive prehistoric monuments in India, Cambodia, Central America, Japan, China and so on?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 4, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »

Yes you're clueless as I am talking about actual facts,the outer blocks were on average 2 tons,all of the inner ones apart from those that were part of the tombs weren't cut to perfection and were also made up of rubble,now I also know for a FACT that a young lad can throw a bit of rubble just a bit bigger than his fist over a two story house & I know that because I spent many an hour as a lad on building sites.

CLUELESS..

Have you conceded that 2m blocks didn't make it to site on the Nile ?

And you must know some pretty fucking shitty brick layers.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 4, 2017, 09:33:44 pm »
Ok - you tell us then. How long would it have taken? And why the fuck would they bother if it takes a thousand years to build one?

Also could you answer the same questions for all the other massive prehistoric monuments in India, Cambodia, Central America, Japan, China and so on?
That's the thing, I don't know.

But it took a great mind to plan it, and great skill to execute it.

I'm basing the time scale on what 'experts' have told us. They did all this using primitive tools. So, it either took a hell of a lot longer than 20 years, or the tools they used were not so primitive.

Speaking of man power, imagine how inconvenient it would be having hundreds or even thousands of people trying to manoeuvre one block into place. 

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 4, 2017, 09:35:55 pm »
Yes you're clueless as I am talking about actual facts,the outer blocks were on average 2 tons,all of the inner ones apart from those that were part of the tombs weren't cut to perfection and were also made up of rubble,now I also know for a FACT that a young lad can throw a bit of rubble just a bit bigger than his fist over a two story house & I know that because I spent many an hour as a lad on building sites.

CLUELESS..

Have you conceded that 2m blocks didn't make it to site on the Nile ?

And you must know some pretty fucking shitty brick layers.
The overall average is 2 tonnes. I don't care how many pebbles were included, the AVERAGE is TWO TONNES.

Some blocks weighed up to 10 tonnes.

Do you know the definition of 'average'?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #228 on: October 4, 2017, 09:35:59 pm »
...Hold on. 300 blocks (averaging 2 tonnes) a day? Using 'primitive' tools?

It's around 600 per day for the average bricklayer....http://www.self-build.co.uk/bricklaying-costs-m2-or-thousand

You're getting ripped off.

And I am clueless,...

Quite possibly.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 4, 2017, 09:39:12 pm »
That's the thing, I don't know.

But it took a great mind to plan it, and great skill to execute it.

I'm basing the time scale on what 'experts' have told us. They did all this using primitive tools. So, it either took a hell of a lot longer than 20 years, or the tools they used were not so primitive.

Speaking of man power, imagine how inconvenient it would be having hundreds or even thousands of people trying to manoeuvre one block into place.

They used copper chisels and had teams of people working for each stone mason so his chisle was alwaysn sharp.Incredibly the human mind was just as great back then as it is now.

And you aren obviously basing it on what your conspiracy 'experts' are telling YOU.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 4, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »

So are you saying it would be impossible to move them or just need a lot of manpower?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 4, 2017, 09:41:09 pm »
It's around 600 per day for the average bricklayer....http://www.self-build.co.uk/bricklaying-costs-m2-or-thousand

You're getting ripped off.

And how much does the average brick weigh? No more than 10 pounds?

So we're saying that the average bricklayer lays only twice the amount of bricks that the Egyptians laid (two tonne blocks) in a day?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 4, 2017, 09:41:11 pm »
The overall average is 2 tonnes. I don't care how many pebbles were included, the AVERAGE is TWO TONNES.

Some blocks weighed up to 10 tonnes.  EIGHT

Do you know the definition of 'average'?  DO YOU ?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 4, 2017, 09:42:20 pm »
And how much does the average brick weigh? No more than 10 pounds?

So we're saying that the average bricklayer lays only twice the amount of bricks that the Egyptians laid (two tonne blocks) in a day?

I think we have found the problem.    ;D ;D ;D

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 4, 2017, 09:42:31 pm »
So are you saying it would be impossible to move them or just need a lot of manpower?
Either extraordinary manpower which would create it own problems, or their tools weren't so primitive.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 4, 2017, 09:44:33 pm »

‘Are you serious?’
No.

*edit - and making a 3:4:5 triangle is a piece of piss.

Correct. However, using a 3, 4, 5 triangle to accurately set out a grid, baseline or some other form of horizontal plan is not a piece of piss if you are talking about distances larger than a few dozen metres. I've been there - it's one of those things that sound easy but isn't. Discrepancies multiply. To get the lengths of each basal side accurate to within a few inches is pretty astonishing, in my opinion (which is obviously not an expert one). I'm basing the accuracies on some reading I had to do for university, though, so admittedly this was several years ago now and, as you say, the facing stones have gone so the researchers would have been working on estimates. I do remember the egyptology module lecturer impressed on us how much quackery went on with regards to archaeology as a whole, and the pyramids in particular, but he also was of the opinion that the pyramids, as with many large scale Egyptian monuments were really rather astonishing achievements of architecture considering the knowledge and technology they had available.

I've already been over this in previous posts and can't really be bothered again - no offence - but I maintain that the great pyramid, and probably most other pyramids, is an astoundingly impressive feat of human engineering and labour, as with many other large monuments from various ancient cultures across the globe. At the risk of repeating myself, I'm not ascribing any extraterrestrial or mystical influences to their conception or construction, merely saying it's pretty fucking mad what ancient civilizations got up to when they put their minds to it. That's it, the end.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 4, 2017, 09:45:11 pm »
Either extraordinary manpower which would create it own problems, or their tools weren't so primitive.

Yeah true,I bet they would've had to build a city and provide eveything that the builders & labourers would need.

Now I wonder if we have ever found any evidence of that,have we any ?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #238 on: October 4, 2017, 09:46:00 pm »

Some blocks weighed up to 10 tonnes.

Do you know the definition of 'average'?

Have you ever tried to move a rock?

I have.

It was around half a ton.

It took me a while but using a large iron bar as a lever and another rock as a fulcrum I was able to postion it on the blades of a heavy duty sack truck.

Levers are great, once you understand them they enable huge forces to be applied and with little effort.

I then pulled the sack truck up a slope in our garden around 75m  with only the assistance of my wife.

Just the two  of us.

Wheels and rollers are great too.

It took around 10 minutes.

Now think what a team of say 200 people could do.

There's no mystery involved, it's pretty straightforward.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #239 on: October 4, 2017, 09:47:39 pm »
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 09:51:14 pm by Chakan »