Author Topic: Andy Burnham's powerful Commons speech on Hillsborough  (Read 78781 times)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Andy Burnham's powerful Commons speech on Hillsborough
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2016, 08:43:05 pm »
Superb speech spot on

A future Labour leader & PM I'd say

Totally agree. One of the few genuinely trustworthy politicians.

Man has been an absolute hero, right up there with Prof and Anne, Trevor, Margaret and the others.

Took a lot of courage to stand at the Memorial service 7 years ago and take the hit he did (not his fault either), but then start the wheels rolling to get where we are today.  And throughout all that time to be a class, genuine, believable person.  Today he lofted himself into ordinary people's political stratosphere.

Andy Burnham, you're a fine man.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 08:49:19 pm »
He even sang YNWA at the vigil
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 09:03:31 pm »
Who'd of thought the fight for justice may not just of beaten a lie, it may well have brought down a police force.

Mutterings are of the disbanding of the SYP and the unification of the entire Yorkshire police force. Who'd of though it?......... not I

We get the justice and put the SYP to the sword, what a result. Wow!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 09:10:57 pm »
I was thinking exactly that.

I, too. His current party leader, sat next to him, looked a bit in awe of him at times.   

Well done, Andy.
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:08 pm »
At least there a few decent people in the House of Commons.
Well done Andy Burnham and thanks for your total commitment to the cause.
SOS 8040

Offline andywilko

• Anny Roader
  • Thank You
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2016, 09:15:39 pm »
Brilliant
And with such simplicity,
The European Cup, surely, is won.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2016, 09:22:48 pm »
I don't like or trust politics in this country but he is one of the few truly decent human beings that exist in that profession. 

What he's done for the families and their cause is absolutely heroic.  He'll have my eternal respect and admiration for doing the right thing when so many others in the establishment turned their backs on and dismissed the fight for the truth. 

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2016, 09:26:58 pm »
Powerful, passionate and every point hammered home.

He captures perfectly the injustices and failings at very level, and paints a picture of a country and system that is complety rotten to the core.

After the families and campaigners have been chipping away at the dam for 27 years, it has finally burst and the waters will hopefully wash away every corrupt police officer, lawyer, politician and media scum in its path.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »
The Justice Juggernaut hasn't just began rolling, its now unstoppable. At a level like this, every speech, every utterance about the corruptness compels the IPCC and the DPP to travel on it and ensure it's momentum is driven towards full accountability for not just a few but many, many people involved in the cover-up.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 09:39:41 pm »
The Justice Juggernaut hasn't just began rolling, its now unstoppable. At a level like this, every speech, every utterance about the corruptness compels the IPCC and the DPP to travel on it and ensure it's momentum is driven towards full accountability for not just a few but many, many people involved in the cover-up.
John, the SYP may well fall over this. Fuck me la, if so, thats what you call justice.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 10:22:46 pm »
A great speech from a great man. Should be Labour leader.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:08 pm »
Very powerful speech. Not holding anything back, driving the points home, and with seemingly full agreement from the background.
Let's hope that action continues from this, and it's not just shuffled aside by others. The truth is finally, fully, out there - and those responsible need to be held to account.

And, again, absolutely brilliant speech.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 10:33:55 pm »
Superb speech. The key for me was not *just* about SYP and Hillsborough, but pulling together issues which the establishment would like to handle (and dismiss) separately - Orgreave, the media campaign against the fans and it's political 'advancement', in Burnham's words, "from the press office of 10 Downing Street". No wonder Bernard Ingham had nothing to say yesterday.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26:12 pm »
Nice work Andy.
That's what can happen when a decent man with decent values properly understands what he's talking about and then uses the very public platform he's got, to good effect.
He rolled up his sleeves to help the families achieve justice yesterday.  He's been intelligent, committed and passionate in his support for the campaign throughout the past few years and deserves all credit possible for his efforts & his performance yesterday.

He deserves credit too for not pushing himself to the centre. The families have suffered & struggled for 27 years: it's their fight their victory and their time. He's been a great ally along the way and has my complete respect for all he's done. Then I think about the dignity and fortitude and resolve of those who lost family and friends that day and I'm utterly humbled.

There's very little I can identify with in the Tory party but I think Andy was right to give Theresa May some credit today. I don't think she had any option but to let the process run openly and without interference this time around, but let's be clear: she's the first Home Sec to do so. I pray that she'll maintain that principle and allow charges to be brought against those who lied, conspired and defamed and then also open the lid on Orgreave. & disband SY police force. &  strip Ingham of his fucking title.  & let them all feel the heavy cloak of shame weigh them down over the coming weeks. Let their lives by blighted by the knowledge that their disgusting behaviour in the past is now a matter of public record.

Well in Andy.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 11:32:48 pm »
"Mr Speaker, the last question is for us.

What kind of country leaves people, who did no more than wave off their loved-ones to a football match, sitting in a court room 27 years later begging for the reputations of their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and fathers?

The answer is one that needs to do some deep soul-searching.

This cover-up went right to the top.

It was advanced in the committee rooms of this House and in the press rooms of 10 Downing Street.

It persisted because of collusion between elites in politics, police and the media."

Thank you for repeating that part. Absolutely.

I think it's taken 27 years because it's taken that long for that generation of the establishment to be replaced and couldn't be sat on any longer.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline ATEAMOFCARRAGHERS

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2016, 11:46:09 pm »
Andy. My dad will be proud of you. I know he will.
I am too.

There's only one Andy Burnham!!
15/4/89 never forgotten.

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 12:08:30 am »
Outstanding speach by a top man.well done andy burnham.
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Online Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 12:09:06 am »
At last, this  is a man I could vote for.
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 01:12:04 am »
What a brilliant speech!
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 01:33:06 am »
I think this needs to be watched by all Liverpool fans and non Liverpool fans.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/d-QzlFTFznk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/d-QzlFTFznk</a>

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/218601-andy-burnham-s-powerful-commons-statement-on-hillsborough

So powerful. Brilliant speech.

I guess it wasn't so welcoming from the Tories and their predecessors who ware a part of the lies, deceit, and cover up.

There has been great victories for Justice and Truth, now it's time to make changes from within so that it can never happen again.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 01:50:13 am »
You know when you forget a speech like that?   .   .   you don't.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 02:29:57 am »
The best compliment I can I give him is that I'm not from the UK, not quite sure of his relationship to those surrounding him there, not aware of his politics or even about some of the specifics he discussed in his comments.

But that was a helluva great speech. Wow.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Godmadebloodred

• Legacy Fan
  • The Beanitezls
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 04:18:59 am »
That's definitely started the waterworks.
It took too long for the truth to come out.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 04:54:34 am »
Great speech from the heart.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 06:53:18 am »
To echo the comments of others

Fair play to May. 

Jack Straw (of the Blairbour party) had the opportunity to do something significant in 1997 but failed. 

Instead, he used the failure of Lord Justice Stuart-Smith to end the nightmare, to highlight the failings of the regime of the time citing that Thatcher led the SYP and others that they could act with impunity.

As Margaret Aspinall said last night, 'Let’s hope they’re getting theirs now. It starts from now'

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:45 am »
Amazing speech from a politician who listened to the criticism and went on to make a difference. That is what a public servant should be; utmost integrity and honour. Thank you Andy.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 08:24:57 am »
Watched it yesterday, a brilliant speech.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:05 am »

I really do hope this is the case!!

There have been so many examples of injustice in our history with the establishment getting away without any accountability.

Now that the truth has been recognised by all, I hope there is punishment for those responsible.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »
Brilliant speech - a true hero Burnham is. That last part of the speech ought to have made the entire House hang their heads in shame.

And fair play to Theresa May too who kept in close contact with the families throughout the inquest - she was quite rightly exonerated in Burnham's speech. Though Cameron and his Eton chums wouldn't have enjoyed such cold hard truths for them.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »
Superb speech - and he'll also be on the panel of BBC1's Question Time at 10.45pm tonight.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2016, 01:55:46 pm »
This was a speech that was spoken with such an intensity that it grabbed everyone who listened.

Andy understood exactly the hill that had been climbed in the face of so many knock backs by the legal profession and politicians of both main parties.

He was correct to praise T.May, the first Home Sectetary to listen and show integrity.

The house contains too few decent MP's in my view. Andy can rise to the top I believe.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Specimen A

• Main Stander
  • Sydneysider
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:17 pm »
What an extraordinary speech, so much genuine passion and really shook the foundations with it.

I remember watching a Hillsborough service on LFCTV a few years back, and remember the Kop roaring "Justice for the 96" and Andy Burnham looking unsettled in the middle of his speech, and knew immediately how important this cause was to the city. Glad to see a politician standing up for the people, like one is supposed to!

So glad justice has finally has been served

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2016, 02:20:17 pm »
Watched the hour or so of online coverage yesterday and thought both sides on the house brought up good points and seemed well in agreement that things must be done. Of course, Burnham has been the driving force of this (in terms of being an MP with big enough influence to help get things moving) and he fully justified my opinion that he should've been voted in as Labour leader last year. He is someone who would reach out to all those with differing views and unite the party, not just go from one extreme to another. Of course, that is a complete different conversation.

I have a special loathing of Theresa May as a home secretary for many of the policies she is trying to implement, but she has gone up in my estimation after this, especially since Burnham specifically paid tribute to her efforts thus far.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2016, 06:04:06 pm »
he should be Labour leader but lost out to Corbyn

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2016, 07:14:49 pm »
Theresa May looked dead uncomfortable with all that praise Andy lavished on her.  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2016, 07:35:26 pm »
Theresa May looked dead uncomfortable with all that praise Andy lavished on her.  ;D

She's not used to showing emotion mate ;)

To be honest she looked genuinely surprised that Andy Burnham thanked her in the way he did.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2016, 08:25:12 pm »
Links to this may have been posted elsewhere, but it bears repeating - BBC 5 Live's Hillsborough - The Truth - is probably the most powerful and remarkable 2 hours of radio Ive ever heard.

'Kelly Cates presents a special programme on Hillsborough, looking back at the day itself, and the fight for justice by families and fans in the 27 years since. Featuring interviews with Bruce Grobbelaar and Andy Burnham, and guests including Phil Scraton, Dan Davies and David Conn'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07864c5
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2016, 08:32:36 pm »
Sorry but.....

David Conn ‏@david_conn 12m12 minutes ago

BREAKING: The brand new acting chief constable of South Yorkshire police Dawn Copley is stepping down as she is subject to an investigation.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2016, 08:57:49 pm »
had me in tears to be honest... absolutely fantastic speech!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2016, 11:10:34 pm »
Superb on QT, too.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.