Author Topic: Hull City - Protest  (Read 69475 times)

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite
Re: Hull City - Protest
« Reply #360 on: April 27, 2015, 11:04:48 am »
Tony Barrett

Rodgers on Liverpool fans ticket prices boycott at Hull City: "I respect their right to protest."

Well said Brendan.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #361 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:02 pm »
Tony Barrett

Rodgers on Liverpool fans ticket prices boycott at Hull City: "I respect their right to protest."

Well said that man.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #362 on: April 27, 2015, 12:30:14 pm »
I'd not read to much into Rodgers words in print. It's the neutral thing to say and he can't say anything else. It certainly doesn't say he is in support of it.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #363 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:27 pm »
He's hardly going to say "yeah my boss and my colleagues bosses are ripping them off" is he? And some other managers would toe the party line. I think it's a veiled support, which is the best he could do.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite
« Reply #364 on: April 27, 2015, 12:49:51 pm »
“I was made aware of the issue,” Rodgers said.

“I respect the supporters’ right to protest. Supporters nowadays have to work very hard to earn the money to get to football games. I respect their right to protest.”

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: April 27, 2015, 01:08:20 pm »
He respects the fans right to protest, but does he agree with it?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #366 on: April 27, 2015, 01:10:08 pm »
He's hardly going to say "yeah my boss and my colleagues bosses are ripping them off" is he? And some other managers would toe the party line. I think it's a veiled support, which is the best he could do.

Exactly.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #367 on: April 27, 2015, 01:12:45 pm »
It's far preferable to what the Hodge said about our H&G protests.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline garcia-alonso

• Kopite
« Reply #368 on: April 27, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »
It's far preferable to what the Hodge said about our H&G protests.

Was thinking exactly the same. He could also have said he wasn't aware of it and couldn't comment, but he chose not to. Good on him.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: April 27, 2015, 01:22:59 pm »
Tony Barrett

I see a load of people fuming on him over this on social media, but not sure what else he's meant to say, especially as he's still maybe not 100% comfortable keeping his job
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #370 on: April 27, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »
As we live in a democracy, the "respect the right to protest" is a nothing comment..

It wouldn't have been a problem to offer a little general support without writing a resignation letter..

If SOS or any other supporter organisation had written a letter to the board asking for Rodgers to resign; he still would have respected their right to protest right ?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:27:45 pm by Johnny Foreigner »
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: April 27, 2015, 01:25:33 pm »

I see a load of people fuming on him over this on social media, but not sure what else he's meant to say, especially as he's still maybe not 100% comfortable keeping his job

Fuming about what? That he hasn't resigned in sympathy and pledged to picket the ground personally? Some people need to get a bit of perspective.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
« Reply #372 on: April 27, 2015, 01:31:54 pm »
Aye, people don't tend to speak out in public against their employers - for good reason.
Either way very lad to see this protest is going ahead, I only hope it gets noticed. On its own it really cant have much of an affect and will likely get glossed over, we can only hope that supporters of other clubs will take similar action to the point that Sky, BT et al cant ignore it.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #373 on: April 27, 2015, 01:38:46 pm »

As we live in a democracy, the "respect the right to protest" is a nothing comment..

It wouldn't have been a problem to offer a little general support without writing a resignation letter..

If SOS or any other supporter organisation had written a letter to the board asking for Rodgers to resign; he still would have respected their right to protest right ?

Did you read the bit where he says supporters have to work hard to raise money to get to games?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: April 27, 2015, 01:52:41 pm »
Did you read the bit where he says supporters have to work hard to raise money to get to games?

Yes, I read that. For me that would be for those who put in an extra shift and made a conscious priority between goods/services and chose the match.

For more and more people, that choice doesn’t exist anymore when it costs 50+ for every game.

In order for the prices to drop; there would have to lower wages for players, managers and the Ian Ayre’s of the world.

So if Rodgers came out with strong support, he would directly/indirectly lobby against his squad, superiors and ultimately his own profession.

He chose not to and I can fully understand his reasons; but he could just as well has said “no comments”. His “respect the right” is no support whatsoever
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #375 on: April 27, 2015, 02:04:11 pm »
Yes, I read that. For me that would be for those who put in an extra shift and made a conscious priority between goods/services and chose the match.

Oh so he's indirectly condoning the ticket prices and the people who help them exist by working extra shifts (like me).

He chose not to and I can fully understand his reasons; but he could just as well has said “no comments”. His “respect the right” is no support whatsoever

Respectfully disagree, I'm not quite sure what more he could have said.

"These protests are not helping the team" or whatever it was that Hodgson said, that's no support at the true definition.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: April 27, 2015, 02:14:13 pm »

"These protests are not helping the team" or whatever it was that Hodgson said, that's no support at the true definition.

I would say Hodgsons quote is going against his own supporters.

Rodgers is neutral.

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2015, 02:19:46 pm »

Rodgers is neutral.

I actually think he was being as supportive as he could be in his current predicament... He even backs it up with highlighting the cost of tickets compared to wage etc... There was definitely some support there imo

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #378 on: April 27, 2015, 02:21:49 pm »

Rodgers is neutral.

And if you were manager you'd say exactly what?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »
And if you were manager you'd say exactly what?

Nothing as I’d prefer to pick up my wages and avoid to rock the boat.

If I would chose to offer genuine support and be admired amongst my supporters; something like “This is not an issue LFC can’t handle on its own – and a drastic reduction in revenues from ticketing would distort the competitiveness of the club, but we are clearly at a crossroads for the supporters, when the cheapest tickets are crossing the 50-pound barrier;  (and maybe something about the grassroots/working mans game”

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: April 27, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »
Patronising pat on the head, nothing more.

IF he was genuinely bothered he'd be putting himself in the firing line like Naismith
cyas

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2015, 03:27:38 pm »
Nothing as I’d prefer to pick up my wages and avoid to rock the boat.

If I would chose to offer genuine support and be admired amongst my supporters; something like “This is not an issue LFC can’t handle on its own – and a drastic reduction in revenues from ticketing would distort the competitiveness of the club, but we are clearly at a crossroads for the supporters, when the cheapest tickets are crossing the 50-pound barrier;  (and maybe something about the grassroots/working mans game”

Well again, people are mixing up two different things.

The protest is against Hull City charging our away support high ticket prices compared to what they charged other visitors. That is clearly spelled out in the SOS op first page.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/hull-city-away-supporter-protest

LFC ticket pricing is a separate issue which SOS has been working with the club about.

Rodgers comments are about the protest of Hull City Away pricing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:29:15 pm by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2015, 03:46:11 pm »
Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 44 seconds ago

Steve Bruce on ticket prices: "I hope the Premier League remembers that football does belong to supporters." Good stuff.
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: April 27, 2015, 03:54:46 pm »

That's what social media is for isn't it, a platform for jobsworths to express their outrage over matters of little importance.

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite
« Reply #384 on: April 27, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-04-27/bruce-sympathises-with-liverpool-fans-over-ticket-prices/
Hull boss Steve Bruce has called for Barclays Premier League officials to act to curb rising ticket prices ahead of his side's KC Stadium clash with Liverpool on Tuesday.

Visiting fans' group Spirit of Shankly is organising a boycott of the game in protest at the £50 admission charge, and Bruce echoed his Liverpool counterpart Brendan Rodgers in backing its right to do so.

Bruce said: "I feel sorry for the supporters of big clubs who have to dig deep every week and I hope when the new TV money comes into play the Premier League can remember football does belong to supporters.

"I know how difficult it is for people here at our club to find the money to bring their two kids to a football match and we have to make sure with all the money washing around we give something back to the fans.

"We have to remember the average man in the street because they are the lifeblood of football and I think if the Premier League set certain rules we would all have to abide by them."

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #385 on: April 27, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »
Steve Bruce, he's got a big fat......round of applause.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #386 on: April 27, 2015, 04:47:25 pm »
Good stuff fathead. :thumbup
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: April 27, 2015, 04:55:23 pm »
That's what social media is for isn't it, a platform for jobsworths to express their outrage over matters of little importance.

Also could organize supporters up and down the country into mass boycotts, standing up instead of giving over more money and moaning about in the process.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #389 on: April 27, 2015, 05:13:58 pm »
Always suspected the Victorian Prostitute was a tart with a heart...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: April 27, 2015, 05:33:44 pm »
Patronising pat on the head, nothing more.

IF he was genuinely bothered he'd be putting himself in the firing line like Naismith

Of course he cant support the protest.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: April 27, 2015, 05:36:34 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m4Rux6RzCqA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m4Rux6RzCqA</a>

Bruce's response is around 9:50

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #392 on: April 27, 2015, 06:00:09 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m4Rux6RzCqA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m4Rux6RzCqA</a>

Bruce's response is around 9:50

Maximum respect for the man there. He really went out of his way to speak in favor of the supporter. And he is talking about his club's pricing to booth.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline KopiteWD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: April 27, 2015, 06:07:52 pm »
Bruce supported the protest against his own club and he hasn't been sacked so I don't see why Rodgers couldn't be a bit more passionate and supportive about it.
AMF

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #394 on: April 27, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »
Fair play to Steve Bruce there, he didn't need to give such an in depth response.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: April 27, 2015, 06:21:49 pm »
Good to see this getting plenty of exposure and backing  on various online sites. Ironically Sky Sports tweeted something about it earlier.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-liverpool-fans-charged-50-watch-side-152445393--sow.html

Hopefully the beginning of something bigger and although I think the Chelsea game would get a lot more publicity it makes sense that this game was targeted.

I'd expect and hope this will get supporters from other teams to follow suit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:24:30 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:47 pm »
Good to see this getting plenty of exposure and backing  on various online sites. Ironically Sky Sports tweeted something about it earlier.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-liverpool-fans-charged-50-watch-side-152445393--sow.html

Hopefully the beginning of something bigger and although I think the Chelsea game would get a lot more publicity it makes sense that this game was targeted.

I'd expect and hope this will get supporters from other teams to follow suit.

I saw some of the responses to it from other fans on twitter, unfortunately some people still let tribalism get in the way. Lots saying "look how much LFC charge!" as if we're attempting to defend it, or that we don't have to pay the prices LFC charge every week either
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: April 27, 2015, 06:29:21 pm »

Steve Bruce just said it - and it will of course have no consequences for him.

Rodgers remained neutral; Bruce spoke out.

Offline Lord Vader

• Birthday: fourth of May.
  • Anny Roader
  • Sith Master
« Reply #398 on: April 27, 2015, 06:35:42 pm »
That was a masterpiece of PR from bruce.

He puts nothing on the club and shifts it all to the premier league whilst supporting the fans position.

The reporter should have pushed "Well the premier league didn't boost the price hull city did. "

Kudos to bruce on how he handled it without going against his employer

The reason i don't bother with any pre-post match interviews is they are like being asked about your wife whilst she is stood at the side of you.
Only a fool would ever tell the truth!

I've seen these type of protests muted by many a teams support (didn't the gordies get 10,000 out last week?.)

Its the same as the "turn your back", leave after x mins but before you think "here we go another defeatist prick"

I just think protests need to be planned where they hurt the only the club(s). not the fans as it's both unfair and unmanageable as none of us have the right to tell some geezer he must miss his first game in 15 years etc.

Every time i read this thread i think "whopping great big black flag with statement on it" in the hull away end.

It would be no more than a voice, but it is one the media will pick up on.

Like the days when those 2 shysters were in charge organised boycotts of merchandise and other revenue which does not stop the supporter watching the game are the best path.

All they will see is market forces and whilst bums are on seats (or paid for empty ones) they won't really care. When their bean counters start to see a financial cost moves will be made.

The interesting point Bruce made was let the EPL set ticket prices.( The maximum would do) Can you image how quick that discussion would be at the agm with UTD, Plastics, Us etc sat there. You'd need a timer that could clock Usain bolt if you didn't time the laughter once it was posed.

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #399 on: April 27, 2015, 06:44:05 pm »
Hope this is a real success and Hull feel it in their pocket. Might be an idea to repeat it next season if they try the same.

One thing, if their are any fans going to the match, instead of chastising them, maybe it would be worth getting them onside and get them to take flags/banners etc and put them across some of the the empty seats, just to hammer it home that this is a boycott not just Liverpool fans not turning up to the match.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...