Author Topic: Southampton v Liverpool - St Mary's Stadium, 7:45 kick off Tuesday 17th May  (Read 17583 times)

Online KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
And you think players like Trent, VVD, Mane, Robbo, Thiago and Henderson who played 120 mins 48hrs before this game would be deemed fit enough to play 60-90mins by medical staff?

Like think about what your saying for second

VVD literally admitted he felt something and had to come after 90 but hey lets just chuck him into a 90min game 48hrs later and not think about the CL Final in a week and half?

No one is claiming to be experts, its common sense. I would happily put money on certain players not playing since you seem so confident of it.
I think we will rotate a lot of players due to the proximity of the game to the FA Cup Final, but it isn't 48 hrs after the game on Saturday, it will be 72 hours between games.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Midfield is where we are down to the bare bones now - Milner, Keita and Curtis is the only 3 you could realistically start tonight, maybe Oxlade but he seems to be really out of things at the minute.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Midfield is where we are down to the bare bones now - Milner, Keita and Curtis is the only 3 you could realistically start tonight, maybe Oxlade but he seems to be really out of things at the minute.

Why can you start Keita but not Henderson?

Henderson has been rotated quite a lot over the last few weeks too, he should be okay I think. I'd go Jones - Henderson - Keita maybe.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan

Henderson has been rotated quite a lot over the last few weeks too, he should be okay I think. I'd go Jones - Henderson - Keita maybe.

I don't know if Henderson can play this game, vs Wolves and in the CL. He's got to start in Paris for me. We need to do everything to get Hendo, Thiago and Fabinho as our 3 in Paris.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

Keita came off in the second half Saturday whereas Henderson played the full 120. I’d imagine Keita is likely to be the fresher for tonight
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
for the guys who played all or most of Saturday, it's not just that their batteries need to be recharged, the chances of injury will be much greater with just 2 days rest. we sure as shit don't need any more players limping off right now.

72 hours is the minimum recovery period and this is just on the limit of that, but yes the medical staff will be telling Jurgen just who and isn't ready to go. Can see Mane and Diaz being on the bench with Jota Bobby and divock starting

Schedule of the Europa final is nuts, should have been next week not this.

fuck knows the line up

just win

if we manage to get it 'won' early, go for as many goals as we can

We tried that at Palace and look where that got us.

We'll need to win 7-0 tonight in the unlikely event we draw v wolves and they lose to Villa as I can't see villa winning by a bigger margin than 1 goal, but instead of going all out for it, we need to be clinical in front of goal and settle for what we get.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
There seems little choice but to rotate a lot here.

Ali

Gomez      Matip   Konate   Tsimikas

Milner

Elliot/AOC/Taki?             Jones

Jota           Bobby            Div

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?

What about Minamino? Our ex-Southampton loanee would surely make an impression.

Agree with you that Ox didn’t look all that well recently.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just get us over the line reds, let's take it to the last day.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There seems little choice but to rotate a lot here.

Ali

Gomez      Matip   Konate   Tsimikas

Milner

Elliot/AOC/Taki?             Jones

Jota           Bobby            Div
This seems sensible. Although, I worry about the front 3. Jota's out of form, Bobby hasn't played many minutes, and Origi is never really effective out wide.

Perhaps Elliott plays on the right and Jota on the left. One of Henderson/Keita may be needed.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
I'd be surprised if one of Hendo or Thiago didn't start. We don't have another player as comfortable in the number 6 role, maybe they play a half each.

Ditto up top I'd be surprised if Diaz didn't get a start. Mane played 120 minutes and looked goosed but Diaz didn't look too knackered when he went off and Bobby is still clearly getting up to speed.

No idea re the RB situation. We've been comfortable enough to give Gomez starts there so it's not a concern, but that's usually in the context of a fairly settled back line, not one where we're also without Robertson and VVD.

I'd probably go:

Alisson

TAA
Matip
Konate
Tsimikas

Hendo
Keita
Jones

Jota
Bobby/Origi
Diaz

That's only 5 of the outfield starters from Satuday, and only Konate, Hendo and TAA played the full game.

If all is going well we can haul TAA, Diaz and Henderson off for Milner, Elliot, Gomez. If we need to force the game we've still got Thiago, Mane and one of Bobby/Origi on the bench.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 09:42:37 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think we usually fly to south coast games, but apparently we also flew to Birmingham for the Villa game last week which is hardly worth taking off for.

Looks like we're doing everything we can to minimise travel disruption and maximise training and recovery at the training ground.

Really can't call either the team or outcome. Just hope it goes to the last day then who knows.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
We just need to win. It's gonna be tough and we don't need Southampton pulling an Aston Villa on us and put everything into it. Looking at their recent results it would seem if we can get an early goal that might make life a lot easier. I remember the 1-3 in the 2019 season which was a really tough game.

We need to be clinical which is something that we have been lacking a bit recently.

Just win and take it to the final day and then we have pretty much done all we can do.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Really can't call either the team or outcome.

Agree with this.

I personally think that there'll be a huge amount of rotation and no-one who played more than 90 on Saturday will start. That's just a guess though. Without the medical information is pretty difficult to guess the team. Given we've taken off Mo and Virgil in an FA Cup final with tweaks suggest the club are taking absolutely no risk with player fitness with the CL final on the horizon. That's my biggest reason for thinking they'll be conservative tonight.

In terms of the result I think it's a difficult one to call. Lots of changes, coming off the back of an emotional FA Cup final win, opposition's last home game of the season under the lights.

I get the impression that not a lot of people are necessarily contemplating it but the league could be over tonight. Hopefully that not the case but I think it's going to be really, really tough to come away with the 3 points and take it to the last game of the season. I wouldn't back against this team but equally I don't see it as an easy win.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Winning the Premier League is more difficult than winning the Champions League, says Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl. Obviously an authority on the subject having won both, previously…

Offline VictoryFor96

• Main Stander
I d take any win, we have no chance to win the title on GD.

a boring 1-0 is good

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity

Given the way results have gone it seems almost impossible for the title to be decided by GD. We'd need to get 4 points from 2 games and City to get beat by Villa for it to end up with GD being the deciding factor now.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
Any win will do.
After the Marathon FAC final, Klopp is sure to pick 'the strongest available' side to do the job.
The likes of Gomez, Tsimikas, Jones, Milner and Firmino are likely to start, so will could see a mix of the rest to play bit-parts
Time for the 'Squad' to do its job.
Doubters to Believers

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Given the way results have gone it seems almost impossible for the title to be decided by GD. We'd need to get 4 points from 2 games and City to get beat by Villa for it to end up with GD being the deciding factor now.
I think if we were 3 or 4 up after an hour tonight, it would be worth keep looking for goals (with half an eye on that very unlikely last day scenario) rather than just sitting back, but not to actively go chasing them. If the impossible were to happen, it's more likely as a result of a draw tonight and all out last-ditch attack on Sunday. Which would be fun. But yeah, hoping for a City draw on Sunday is enough without expecting Villa to win it.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I think if we were 3 or 4 up after an hour tonight, it would be worth keep looking for goals (with half an eye on that very unlikely last day scenario) rather than just sitting back, but not to actively go chasing them. If the impossible were to happen, it's more likely as a result of a draw tonight and all out last-ditch attack on Sunday. Which would be fun. But yeah, hoping for a City draw on Sunday is enough without expecting Villa to win it.

If we're 3 or 4 up after an hour today we should pass it about and see the game out as easily as possible. Its not going to go to goal difference.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
I think we usually fly to south coast games, but apparently we also flew to Birmingham for the Villa game last week which is hardly worth taking off for.

Looks like we're doing everything we can to minimise travel disruption and maximise training and recovery at the training ground.

Really can't call either the team or outcome. Just hope it goes to the last day then who knows.

Oppo fans, especially the blueshite, will now blame us for global warming.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

I don't think we are going to be 3 or 4 up, this will be a tough game not least because of the gruelling final. We need to just win don't mind a 1-0 win to be honest.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Topwings!

• Main Stander
Winning the Premier League is more difficult than winning the Champions League, says Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl. Obviously an authority on the subject having won both, previously…

For sure, tell that to Pep and Man City.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
72 hours is the minimum recovery period and this is just on the limit of that, but yes the medical staff will be telling Jurgen just who and isn't ready to go. Can see Mane and Diaz being on the bench with Jota Bobby and divock starting

We'll need to win 7-0 tonight in the unlikely event we draw v wolves and they lose to Villa as I can't see villa winning by a bigger margin than 1 goal, but instead of going all out for it, we need to be clinical in front of goal and settle for what we get.

just forget about GD mate ... we are going to have a tough match to get 3 points tonight. If we win both  our matches - and hope Villa cause an upset  then we can overtake City. GD plays no role in outcome as we cannot end on the same number of points as City? we can end on 92 pts .. City on 90, 91 or 93 if the beat Villa

getting a solid balanced 14 players on the field tonight will be a huge challenge for Jurgen, coaches and medical staff.  Defence we are good and up front we have options.. midfield could be interesting.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
Its a pity the 5 sub rule doesn't apply tonight, it will make a huge difference next season.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think we are going to be 3 or 4 up, this will be a tough game not least because of the gruelling final. We need to just win don't mind a 1-0 win to be honest.
I agree. Just a hypothetical on a hypothetical.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Got loads of anxiety about tonight for some reason. Just gives me that horrible feeling of 'one of those days.'

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Got loads of anxiety about tonight for some reason. Just gives me that horrible feeling of 'one of those days.'

I'm relatively relaxed.

Almost certain that the league is gone, most important thing tonight is avoiding injuries and resting as many as possible.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
we cannot end on the same number of points as City? we can end on 92 pts .. City on 90, 91 or 93 if the beat Villa.

We draw tonight puts us three points behind City.

We win the last game, they lose the last game.

Level on points.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
I'm relatively relaxed.

Almost certain that the league is gone, most important thing tonight is avoiding injuries and resting as many as possible.

I just really want it to go to the last game and leave the possibility of something mental happening open.

I'm pretty sure about half an hour into the game next week City will probably already be a few goals up but until that moment, I want us to enjoy this moment in the league and give it one final push.

Tonight's match gives me a real hangover vibe.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?

I think City and United fans pointed to us having been in 5 finals in 17 years and won 2 as a basis.

However they have forgotten about themselves especially City having although winning 7 PL has only been in one Champions League final and won fuck all. United in 30 years under Ferguson has only won 2 which Klopp will match by his 6th year with the club.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

a boring 1-0 is good

It's really weird, as winning the Prem now seems more of a chilled affair than if city had actually lost on Sunday.  But still just as achievable IMO

A city loss against West Ham would have meant we had to go balls out tonight and tried to rattle at least 3 or 4 past Soton.  After our recent efforts I just cant see that happening.

Villa are 4/1 for the double chance (win or draw) on Sunday.   I'd have bit your hand off for a 4/1 shot to win the league a few months ago (Providing we win our last 2 games of course).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 02:16:34 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline donnerz

• Main Stander
My predicted team:
Alisson
Gomez Matip Konate Tsimikas
Milner
Keita Jones
Elliot Firmino Jota

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
Just win. Keep the pressure on.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline seandundee16

• Main Stander
I'm a lot more relaxed about the outcome of this game after winning both domestic cups as we now have something really tangible to show for our performances this season. So much so that if we don't win tonight I think we can wallow for about 24 hours before switching focus immediately onto Paris where we will have an opportunity to put some icing on the cake of what has been an incredible season. According to the bookies odds we have a 12% chance of winning the League and a 60% chance of winning the CL, so it easy to see where our priorities should lie. My number one wish tonight is no injuries to key players and then hopefully come out of it with a win with a bit more recovery time before Sunday where we will then have a free hit at winning the League.   

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
My predicted team:
Alisson
Gomez Matip Konate Tsimikas
Milner
Keita Jones
Elliot Firmino Jota

I'd agree to that apart from Origi for Elliot.

I'd have Taki over Harvey.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...

That's where I am at. I am pretty sure most of it is down to the fitness issues and who might play. We just don't need an up for it Southampton at the moment but it feels like it might be like the Villa game where they are after us from the off and the crowd are up for it. Also concerned about possible further injuries to the team.

We need to win and hopefully the mentality monsters deliver.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Don’t care if we channel Simeone at his worst, whatever it takes to just get it over the line and still have a chance on Sunday.  Come on you Reds!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
I'd agree to that apart from Origi for Elliot.

I'd have Taki over Harvey.
Yeah, that’s the team you’d imagine.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
Unleash Harvey Elliot
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.