Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219547 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #560 on: May 5, 2018, 11:09:28 am »
Bundesliga - 24 points
Ligue 1 - 20 points
Premier League - 16 points
La Liga - 11 points with a game in hand
SPL - 10 points

Not sure it is the most one sided league this season. Normally, I'd agree but is the gap closing or have Celtic just been too complacent this season?

Fair point well made.

It's a toss up between Scotland, France and Germany as most one sided league but at least with the latter two the others have a smidgin of hope, afterall, Monaco were defending champions in France and Bayern were slow out of the blocks. No other team has a prayer in Scotland and Gerrard isn't gonna change that.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: May 5, 2018, 11:11:43 am »
In the summer lots of interesting projects would have cropped up
which ones and would he have had any chance? Unless someone like stoke approached him (and them likely being in the championship, near to where he lives and a good budget to get back up would have been a much better option imo than rangers, and in all honesty they’d be a much bigger draw for managers than rangers are now) Rangers is probably his best bet

Online Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: May 5, 2018, 11:14:21 am »
It's all a bit mad from both sides. But good luck to him.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #563 on: May 5, 2018, 11:19:10 am »
Not sure he's expected to win or challenge the league there in the short term. It's a chance to build a backroom team how he wants, a playing squad how he wants, to get experience in front of a packed and passionate fanbase, maybe even get some European experience too which he wouldn't get a chance at in say the Championship.

Online Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: May 5, 2018, 11:32:50 am »
Fair point well made.

It's a toss up between Scotland, France and Germany as most one sided league but at least with the latter two the others have a smidgin of hope, afterall, Monaco were defending champions in France and Bayern were slow out of the blocks. No other team has a prayer in Scotland and Gerrard isn't gonna change that.

I have to say I think it's more likely that close because Celtic couldn't maintain the same motivation in all games after being unbeaten last season, rather than the other teams improving (although they may have slightly).

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #565 on: May 5, 2018, 12:37:59 pm »
Bundesliga - 24 points
Ligue 1 - 20 points
Premier League - 16 points
La Liga - 11 points with a game in hand
SPL - 10 points

Not sure it is the most one sided league this season. Normally, I'd agree but is the gap closing or have Celtic just been too complacent this season?

A mixture. Hibs and Kilmarnock have improved and there is every reason to suspect they will do so again next season given who their managers are. Hearts will blow hot and cold with Levein.

Aberdeen have gone backwards themselves and they need to be having a look at whether Derek Mc can pick himself up or not to take them forward. 

Motherwell are probably irritated to find themselves in the bottom six. Stephen Robinson has made them solid and if they keep him I see no reason they won't improve.

Jack Ross is bringing St Mirren up from the Championship as Champions and he is a decent young manager.

There has been a air of complacency from some of the Celtic players and I think we will be having a clear out in the summer to freshen us up.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2018, 12:52:06 pm by ghirl67 »
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: May 5, 2018, 04:07:54 pm »
good luck stevie you will need it  :)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: May 5, 2018, 04:48:31 pm »
Apparently Stevie want's Torres up there.   :o he'd tear the league up, even the current shitty version.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: May 5, 2018, 04:56:41 pm »
Just watched the video of Gerrard being shown around Ibrox and its so awkward.

FFS these jokers have a picture of the queen up in the dressing room.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: May 5, 2018, 05:00:53 pm »
Just watched the video of Gerrard being shown around Ibrox and its so awkward.

FFS these jokers have a picture of the queen up in the dressing room.

That's quite weird.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: May 5, 2018, 06:24:01 pm »
Apparently Stevie want's Torres up there.   :o he'd tear the league up, even the current shitty version.
More chance of getting Torres' ma up there to play for them.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: May 5, 2018, 06:29:09 pm »
Stevie is such an iconic player that he will be able to attract players who would normally never ever play for Rangers. His appointment has definitely brought a lot of attention to Scottish football. I know that I will be following it more closely next season.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: May 5, 2018, 06:39:19 pm »
I'm never the sort to snoop around on other team's forums, but I was curious to what the consensus was from them, and picked a random forum to read from. Most seem pretty confident in him, but then again, the more you read, the more you realise that some of their football knowledge just isn't...well, read this pearler for starters...

"I wouldn't say he's worked under some of the best managers in the world. He spent his career at Liverpool remember."

and the response:

"Eriksson..Capello..Hodgson. "

Yeah.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #573 on: May 5, 2018, 08:19:07 pm »
Stevie is such an iconic player that he will be able to attract players who would normally never ever play for Rangers. His appointment has definitely brought a lot of attention to Scottish football. I know that I will be following it more closely next season.

What are they going to pay the players with, though?

They have less money than Celtic, and Celtic are paying Championship wages to their highest paid players.
Better looking than Samie.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #574 on: May 5, 2018, 08:22:05 pm »
I'm never the sort to snoop around on other team's forums, but I was curious to what the consensus was from them, and picked a random forum to read from. Most seem pretty confident in him, but then again, the more you read, the more you realise that some of their football knowledge just isn't...well, read this pearler for starters...

"I wouldn't say he's worked under some of the best managers in the world. He spent his career at Liverpool remember."

and the response:

"Eriksson..Capello..Hodgson. "

Yeah.

Imagine some of the howlers you could pick out from here if you wanted to though.

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: May 5, 2018, 09:36:56 pm »
Best of luck Stevie.

It'll be interesting to see what concepts he's taken (or rejected) from the likes of Houllier, Benitez, Klopp, etc.

How will he set up his team? Will he be more pragmatic or dogmatic?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: May 5, 2018, 10:01:07 pm »
Imagine some of the howlers you could pick out from here if you wanted to though.
Youd have to dig deep for those nuggets, though. Thats just one of many in a single thread.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: May 5, 2018, 11:00:15 pm »
I hope Rangers intentions on what they want are good. Its no secret they are in a financial mess,
When Klopp said that Celtic fans wont be thinking thank God its Steven Gerrard but, WOW, its Steven Gerrard. Then your man from Rangers said fans from all over the world would be watching them now.
It makes me wonder if they are hiring him for his name and exploiting it for financial gain, rather than his coaching ability. I really hope I'm wrong and hey, if he does well they both win I suppose,

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #578 on: May 6, 2018, 02:46:11 am »
Couldn’t Gerrard be a player manager? He’d still be one of the leagues best midfielders  :wave

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #579 on: May 6, 2018, 08:38:10 am »
Couldn’t Gerrard be a player manager? He’d still be one of the leagues best midfielders  :wave

His legs looked gone in the MLS. Not sure how different the standard is mind you

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: May 6, 2018, 10:11:01 am »
His legs looked gone in the MLS. Not sure how different the standard is mind you

I would give myself 30 minutes against some of the teams in the SPL. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: May 7, 2018, 07:47:18 pm »
I would give myself 30 minutes against some of the teams in the SPL. 

Think you underrate yourself. Still a young thing at 54.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: May 7, 2018, 10:10:50 pm »
Think you underrate yourself. Still a young thing at 54.

Probably right, just come back from a 6 mile run.  Going to undo the good work with a few scoops!
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #583 on: May 8, 2018, 03:27:22 am »
Gerrard shouldnt have taken almost all the youth coaches with him to Rangers. It left us short in youth management. It seems now the players are being to coach the young talents. Poor Ox.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #584 on: May 8, 2018, 05:34:05 am »
good luck stevie you will need it  :)
Indeed. To me it looks like he made the same mistake as Gary Neville, jumping at the first opportunity with a big name club without actually considering the current circumstances and probability of success. Dysfunctional squad, lacking infrastructure, unrealistic expectations, no money and no patience; it is like taking over at Everton with the requirement to build a new team with no investment and beat Liverpool at least once in his first season or get sacked.  I understand how a person with such personality and achievements would back himself in any challenge, but this could easily turn very nasty with their bitter-flavoured fanbase, and a failure there might discourage him from management altogether. Being allowed to hire a real coaching staff is the only promising sign here and should improve his chances.

Good luck Stevie!

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: May 8, 2018, 06:48:25 am »
What's this about  Martin Skrtel going there as a coach?  ;D

For some reason I initially read that as couch and it put a very strange image in my mind.

Online PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: May 8, 2018, 12:04:23 pm »
Indeed. To me it looks like he made the same mistake as Gary Neville, jumping at the first opportunity with a big name club without actually considering the current circumstances and probability of success. Dysfunctional squad, lacking infrastructure, unrealistic expectations, no money and no patience; it is like taking over at Everton with the requirement to build a new team with no investment and beat Liverpool at least once in his first season or get sacked.  I understand how a person with such personality and achievements would back himself in any challenge, but this could easily turn very nasty with their bitter-flavoured fanbase, and a failure there might discourage him from management altogether. Being allowed to hire a real coaching staff is the only promising sign here and should improve his chances.

Good luck Stevie!

Neville went to La Liga, different language, different style of play, arguably the best league in world..

Stevie has an easyer job by far... Rangers play in Scotland, same language :) same style of game, not as much competition.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: May 8, 2018, 02:11:21 pm »
Neville went to La Liga, different language, different style of play, arguably the best league in world..

That doesn't come into it. If you're a coach worth your salt, you work with and/or around the new style of play. Sometimes being the "different" style is part of what makes your coaching successful - see Rafa at Valencia

Stevie has an easyer job by far... Rangers play in Scotland, same language :) same style of game, not as much competition.

Not sure about "same language" ;D

"Not as much competition" - yes, if you're Celtic. If you're Rangers, though, you're at the same level as Aberdeen, Hibs, and Motherwell. So you're realistically competing with three other teams for second place. And those teams are also improving or looking to improve, every season. So he'll have to hit the ground running.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: May 8, 2018, 02:11:42 pm »
For some reason I initially read that as couch and it put a very strange image in my mind.

You're thinking of Peter Couch.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: May 8, 2018, 02:25:18 pm »

Seriously he should sign Crouchy. He still could do a job for a season or two.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: May 8, 2018, 02:27:50 pm »
Seriously he should sign Crouchy. He still could do a job for a season or two.

He could. He'd probably have to take a massive pay cut to do so, though.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: May 8, 2018, 02:42:04 pm »
He could. He'd probably have to take a massive pay cut to do so, though.

Aye i just checked,  he has signed in November a one year contract extension, 36k per week. Even Celtic can't match that.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: May 8, 2018, 04:05:52 pm »
Did Neville coach their youth club before he went to Valencia? i don´t remember him doing anything other than SKY sports punditry...

Gerrard might have chosen a big profile club, but he has nothing to lose.. he did coach our youth club and has a big name + might surprise more people..

I think he will do well in Scotland. Rangers know their limitations atm and know what they are doing i think.. Gerrard could pick many talented players and convince to join him in this project.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #593 on: May 8, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »
Gerrard could pick many talented players and convince to join him in this project.

I think he will play on his name and contacts to try and get some decent players. Wouldn't surprise me to see a few you'd not expect signing up.

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #594 on: May 8, 2018, 05:38:56 pm »
I think he will play on his name and contacts to try and get some decent players. Wouldn't surprise me to see a few you'd not expect signing up.

If he can convince real footballers to play a season for what they used to earn in a month while wading ankle deep in frozen bogs and getting kicked by slightly fitter pub-league players, he has truly proven his reputation as an inspirational leader of men.
When I tried to look at their current squad on the club site, my anti-virus software blocked the page https://rangers.co.uk/teams/first-team as containing harmful content :o  This is real, but my opinions might contain slight exaggerations.

Offline JMak

• VD ITK
  • Main Stander
  • "A wrong decision is better than indecision"
« Reply #595 on: May 8, 2018, 07:18:00 pm »
Can’t help but feel it’s going to be too much too soon for him but give him his due he’s took the challenge on, it would have been mad not to give it a go, a Dr Pepper moment.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: May 8, 2018, 07:55:24 pm »
Did Neville coach their youth club before he went to Valencia? i don´t remember him doing anything other than SKY sports punditry...

Gerrard might have chosen a big profile club, but he has nothing to lose.. he did coach our youth club and has a big name + might surprise more people..

I think he will do well in Scotland. Rangers know their limitations atm and know what they are doing i think.. Gerrard could pick many talented players and convince to join him in this project.
neville was england coach for a few years

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: May 8, 2018, 10:26:47 pm »
Been away for a few days since the announcement. I know its a big gamble but I'm still chuffed to bits he's agreed to come. Truth be told, to have two characters the stature or Rodgers & Gerrard should be good for Scottish football in general.

He'll have a lot of work to do, but I don't think it's a challenge to be scared of. His first target will be to improve the playing squad, and get them mentally stronger and more consistent. Given the budget he'll have over the rest of the teams bar Celtic, it should be what's expected really.

Looking forward to the summer now to see what happens.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: May 9, 2018, 01:54:28 am »

So that's who Rafa was after all along?  Finally got his sofa!

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: June 17, 2018, 11:47:21 pm »
Random as anything but its just popped into my head that Rossiter is at Rangers. Wonder if he can avoid his injury issues and impress stevie enough to get into the side