Author Topic: Golden Goal: John Barnes for Liverpool v QPR (1987)  (Read 5177 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Golden Goal: John Barnes for Liverpool v QPR (1987)
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:31:10 pm »
31 years ago today. Where did the time go?
Part of the Guardian Golden Goals series

Barnes epitomised the tag of ‘flying winger’ in the late-80s and never more so than with the nimble footwork that rounded off a 4-0 win to replace QPR at the top of the table

The spreadsheet is the new diary. Modern life is defined as much by numbers as feelings. Likes, retweets, calories, steps, pints. Yet there is no metric for euphoria, at least not yet, and so the richest human experiences are largely data-proof. Love, the arts, the humble orgasm – or its football equivalent. Few things in life compare to the moment when you – or more likely your team – score a goal of such brilliance or importance that you instantly know its memory will last forever.

On a basic level, goals are easy to quantify. Team goal: number of passes. Screamer: distance from goal. Solo goal: defenders beaten. But that’s a flawed, soulless enterprise. Don’t count the passes, especially if the first 20 are under no pressure whatsoever from the Serbia & Montenegro defence; feel the crescendo of the move instead. Don’t count how many defenders a player beats; look at how they do it, and when. Most of all, marvel at the things which makes solo goals so magical: the skill, the audacity and especially the balance.

Balance is a dribbler’s God-given friend, the thing which allows them to ride tackles or swerve left and right like a human F1 car. We know it when we see it, yet it’s a hard thing to fully understand. Apart from the use of simple adjectives – beautiful is the usual choice – it’s hard to find words for it. And it’s impossible to find data. We know great balance when we see it, though. Think of Diego Maradona staggering away from the scene of his genius against Belgium in 1986, George Best staying on his feet after being run over by Chopper Harris, or John Barnes twisting imperiously through QPR at Anfield in 1987.

Although Barnes only beat two players, he prefers this to his famous goal against Brazil at the Maracana (four defenders and the keeper, since you asked). As well as its superior quality, Barnes’s goal endures because of its symbolic significance. The Brazil moment was a one-off, for him and England, whereas the QPR goal confirmed something brilliant was happening – that, after a dismal run of only one league title in three seasons, Liverpool were not only back but better than ever. It also completed Barnes’s rapid journey from unreliable outsider to darling of the Kop.

The match, 31 years ago today, was quite the big deal. Challengers v Challengers in the parlance of 2018; second v first in the language of 1987. QPR, the league leaders, who were having enormous success with their revolutionary tactics – a sweeper, man-markers and, most shockingly of all, patient possession football. The match was even going to be televised, sort of. In 1987-88, non-live football was an event. These were the first highlights from any top-division match in almost two months. (There wasn’t even a full Match of the Day – it was part of Sports Special.)

Liverpool, who had to postpone some early home games because of the collapse of a sewer beneath the Kop, were three points behind Rangers with two games in hand, with the champions Everton in eighth. They had started the season spectacularly, and more than 3,000 fans were locked out when the gates were closed 35 minutes before kick-off. Ian Rush, who had joined Juventus in the summer, was back to see whether reports of Liverpool’s resurgence had been even remotely exaggerated.

They had not. “They are a better team than the one I left behind,” purred Rush. The match was pretty close for an hour, but eventually Liverpool’s class and desire overwhelmed Rangers. Barnes created the opening goal for Craig Johnston, took a free-kick which was handled in the box, giving John Aldridge a chance from the spot, and then scored twice with his right foot to complete a devastating 4-0 victory.

It was the fourth consecutive league game in which Liverpool had scored four goals. Their fans were used to winning, but not like this. They knew they were watching easily their most exciting team since 1978-79, probably ever.

Barnes’s second goal was certainly without precedent. It started when he did his own dirty work by winning the ball off Kevin Brock near the halfway line. From there he surged unchallenged towards the edge of the area, where Alan McDonald and Terry Fenwick were waiting like a pair of bouncers. Barnes approached them with the preparatory stride of a hurdler, which is exactly what he needed to be when McDonald lunged at him. At that moment instinct took over, and everything slowed down.

The ability of great players to calculate so much in a split second is endlessly fascinating, and challenges the view that footballers lack intelligence. Barnes’s reactions were fast enough for him to touch the ball to the left, away from goal, and gracefully avoid McDonald’s challenge in the same movement. His brain was even faster. As he jumped, Barnes registered in his peripheral vision that Fenwick, partially distracted by an off-the-ball run from Peter Beardsley, had left a small gap on the inside.

Barnes, whose body was facing towards the corner flag, then started to change direction in mid-bloody-air. As he landed he guided the ball back inside Fenwick to move through on goal. Even the weight of the touch was perfect – heavy enough to take Fenwick out of the game but not so heavy as to bring the covering defender Paul Parker or the goalkeeper David Seaman into it. Having beaten both McDonald and Fenwick in one impossibly smooth movement, the finish was an orgiastic formality.

There’s an extraordinary amount going on in the space of two or three seconds, but it’s Barnes’s balance and mid-air twist which elevate the goal into the realms of genius. He gave new meaning to the phrase “flying winger”. Try it at home if you like, but know first that Guardian Media Group accepts no legal responsibility for pulled muscles, shattered coffee tables or accidental death.

Wingers are supposed to leave defenders with twisted blood, not themselves. Barnes’s balance was even more impressive because of his build. Most great dribblers are short, skinny or both. Barnes was just shy of six foot, weighed 12 stone and had thighs that could kill a man. That gives his goal a unique elegance. It wasn’t football, it was foot-ballet.

The QPR goal made Barnes a Liverpool idol, which was unlikely a few months earlier. His move to Anfield was so protracted – he was in love with Serie A and originally wanted to go to Milan or Juventus – that there was a hostile attitude towards him when he arrived. Oh, and he was black. Dave Hill’s staggering Out of His Skin covers this in detail, but the extent of the racism is pretty astonishing. There were various neanderthal insights daubed on the stadium walls, including “LIVERPOOL ARE WHITE” and “NO WOGS ALLOWED”. When Barnes first went to Anfield, one of the staff served everyone a cup of tea except him. “What,” said Barnes, “am I black or something?”

Barnes thinks he would have been booed on his home debut had the sewer not burst. Instead, word got back from the hardcore away support about his performances; by the time he made a spectacular home debut against Oxford in mid-September, the mood had softened. When he scored those goals against QPR, it melted. For his first four seasons at Anfield, where he received a freedom and an affection he didn’t get with England, Barnes was awesome.

His goal was part of a legendary portfolio. In 1987-88, the BBC’s Goal of the Season was made up entirely of those scored by Liverpool players. Even in Liverpool’s greatest team, Barnes stood out. He won the PFA and FWA Player of the Year awards, scored 15 league goals and produced moments of skill that blew the mind. In Out of His Skin, Hill picks out one abracadabra turn against Everton that left Peter Reid eating mud and Gary Stevens in a different postcode. Until YouTube, it had the mythical quality of a great bootleg album.

The QPR game was, because of the BBC highlights, an instant classic. “Our performance was astonishing,” said Barnes in his autobiography. “The memory of that match burns more vividly in my mind than any other I played for Liverpool.”

You can’t put that sort of feeling on a spreadsheet.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NOLfhWVFFrk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NOLfhWVFFrk</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Golden Goal: John Barnes for Liverpool v QPR (1987)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:48:42 pm »
Great stuff that. Too young to have seen the goal or Barnes in his prime (aside from not seeing us win the league, this is one of the things which vexes me) but it's a wonderful goal becuase not only does it show great skill and balance, it's so unique. Wonder what people who saw it live thought of it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:03:40 pm »
Possibly my favourite goal ever.  And iconic commentary too :-)
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:09:34 pm »
Outrageous goal.

Offline Oddbod

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:48:14 pm »
Was in the Kop that day.

31 one bloody years ago, Jeez, I was only 13

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:34:19 pm »
Vividly recall this goal. Was my first time ever in Anfield. We had travelled over from Ireland on the ferry the night before. If any of you auld farts recall it was the famous or infamous time that Michael Fish uttered these words in a weather forecast

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!"

The worst storm in 3 centuries ensued causing devastation. As you can imagine for an 11 year old on a ferry on the way from Belfast to Birkenhead this was a wee bit traumatic!!!

The game was an amazing experience and we sat in the Annie Road end. I still have my scarf from that day and I bring it to every game I have ever gone to, which are not too many, but it will always travel with me no matter what!!

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »
Love that goal ...  brings back memories of both a golden period in my life and a wonderful Liverpool team.
The balance, pace, poise and composure he showed was phenomenal.  It was the same for the first goal in that game I seem to recall - played a 1-2 then slotted in top corner.

This one, the curler against the Bitters, the curler vs. Villa, his freekick v Pompey(?) late in the semi final (Whelan scored), his cross for Rush to nod home the 3rd in the cup final v the Bitters were some of my fave goals and memories of Digger.

What a player.
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 08:35:05 pm »
Was there that day....amazing player.
YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 09:14:49 pm »
17 years old, middle of The Kop seeing Johnny Barnes do that was pure ecstasy.

Created some buzz that autumn did those new signings. Happy days.

31 years  :o

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:21:18 pm »
Best player on the planet in 87-91.

Maradona, Van Basten and Gullit meh. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 09:52:10 pm »
Had the pleasure of meeting Digger backstage during the interval at a London event. I asked him what his favourite goal was. ‘What’s yours?’ He asked. ‘Your second against QPR’ I said. ‘Same here’.

Every part of it is special: The rolled dispossession. The effortless pace that takes him from the halfway line to the edge of the box in what seems like three strides. That effortless move from one side to the other that takes out two defenders and a sublime shot past the keeper.

A thing of power, grace and beauty.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline HeWonItFromBrock

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 10:06:46 pm »
First time on the kop with my mates. Nearly didn't get in the queues were that big - fella at the turnstile only had a view vouchers left (think they were for the Littlewoods Cup game coming up v Everton).

Amazing goal, one of the best seasons. Never tire of watching it.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 06:43:52 am »
It can’t be 31 years ... fucking hell. I remember it so well, didn’t need the YouTube clip either, although I did watch it .. 3 times! It was a day I remember thinking that we were back. The league was ours that season. Everton were toast. 1987, the year Rushie left and Everton were crowned champions for the second time in three seasons. Then Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton and Aldridge all brought in that year to complete a strong squad that already had Grobbelaar, Hansen, Nicol, Molby, McMahon and Kenny making the occasional guest appearance. It was our finest team ever and we romped the league.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:27 am »
Digger Barnes oh how i loved you , fantastic player in a fantastic team
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 10:16:56 am »
Feel sorry for anyone who didn't get to see John Barnes. Those 4 seasons between 87-91 he was unbelievably good. In terms of longevity I think Gerrard was better than him. In terms of absolute peak for a season I think Suarez just about edges him out with his 2013/14 performances. But Barnes between 1987-91 had 4 consecutive seasons of individual performances that I don’t think Suarez got close to at Liverpool. Or maybe not even Gerrard. To put that level of performance in week in, week out for 4 seasons was a testament to his quality as a player. Beyond Maradona he was as good as anyone in World football at the time..

The achilles injury in 1992, when he was 28, almost certainly stopped him having another 2 or 3 seasons at the very top of his game. Arguably it took away us having the player who was head and shoulders the best in the league. Maybe that’s the difference between us falling off a cliff from 92 onwards and still being very competitive at the top end of the table. We’ll never know though.

That goal against QPR epitomises a lot of what he was about in an attacking sense. Power, pace but also graceful. Barnes was also great in the air and wasn’t afraid of tracking back and helping his full back.He’d have been sensational in a front 3 in Clop’s system with the protection players get nowadays. You can sound like an old fart reminiscing about the players from when you were a youngster, bit I’d still have no hesitation in saying that John Barnes from 87-91 would easily be the best player in our current team. Probably the best player in the league. And comfortably in the top 5 players in the World.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 12:02:29 pm »
Feel sorry for anyone who didn't get to see John Barnes. Those 4 seasons between 87-91 he was unbelievably good. In terms of longevity I think Gerrard was better than him. In terms of absolute peak for a season I think Suarez just about edges him out with his 2013/14 performances. But Barnes between 1987-91 had 4 consecutive seasons of individual performances that I don’t think Suarez got close to at Liverpool. Or maybe not even Gerrard. To put that level of performance in week in, week out for 4 seasons was a testament to his quality as a player. Beyond Maradona he was as good as anyone in World football at the time..

The achilles injury in 1992, when he was 28, almost certainly stopped him having another 2 or 3 seasons at the very top of his game. Arguably it took away us having the player who was head and shoulders the best in the league. Maybe that’s the difference between us falling off a cliff from 92 onwards and still being very competitive at the top end of the table. We’ll never know though.

That goal against QPR epitomises a lot of what he was about in an attacking sense. Power, pace but also graceful. Barnes was also great in the air and wasn’t afraid of tracking back and helping his full back.He’d have been sensational in a front 3 in Clop’s system with the protection players get nowadays. You can sound like an old fart reminiscing about the players from when you were a youngster, bit I’d still have no hesitation in saying that John Barnes from 87-91 would easily be the best player in our current team. Probably the best player in the league. And comfortably in the top 5 players in the World.

Unless my memory is failing more than I thought that was yet another fucking England/international injury.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 12:25:03 pm »
Unless my memory is failing more than I thought that was yet another fucking England/international injury.

It was. I would have loved to have seen him in his pomp with a young Robbie Fowler. Imagine the devastation they could have wrecked!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 01:20:16 pm »
It was. I would have loved to have seen him in his pomp with a young Robbie Fowler. Imagine the devastation they could have wrecked!

Indeed - he still had a part to play in his later years...

Barnes, Rush, still John Barnes....      Collymore!!!!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B84hprAfK-4?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B84hprAfK-4?fs=1</a>

Edited...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:25:29 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 01:54:25 pm »
I love this piece, Rob Smyth is such a brilliant football writer (even though he's a Manc).

Still, imo, the best Liverpool player I've ever seen (I'm too young to have seen Souness and Dalglish). Sad to read about the treatment he got from staff at our own club though.

Yep. I think his post injury days are quite underrated, he turned into a fine midfield playmaker. I guess it's inevitable to be compared to the devastating force of nature that he was pre-injury, but he was always genius first, athlete second (albeit probably the best athlete in the league, but that was still second). Even taking his physical attributes away though he was still probably the most technically talented player in the league.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 02:00:34 pm »

Barnes, Rush, still John Barnes....      Collymore!!!!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B84hprAfK-4?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B84hprAfK-4?fs=1</a>

Can’t embed on my phone but you know the clip.

Won’t ever forget that moment either!!!  A busted Barnes would have been outrageous in the modern game as his strength allowed him to retain the ball and his vision and passing ability was brilliant. He would have been brilliant with the likes of Masch around him to do his heavy lifting.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:25:44 pm by Alan_X »

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 02:59:19 pm »
Had the pleasure of meeting Digger backstage during the interval at a London event. I asked him what his favourite goal was. ‘What’s yours?’ He asked. ‘Your second against QPR’ I said. ‘Same here’.

Every part of it is special: The rolled dispossession. The effortless pace that takes him from the halfway line to the edge of the box in what seems like three strides. That effortless move from one side to the other that takes out two defenders and a sublime shot past the keeper.

A thing of power, grace and beauty.

Beardsley's blindside run to take away a defender is brilliant too. Using him by not using him, as Barry Davies would put it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 03:27:47 pm »
Possibly my favourite goal ever.  And iconic commentary too :-)
Remember the commentary for the 3rd was extremely to the point, "Barnes, and Barnes again, THREE.", fucking hell he was an unreal footballer, great lad too.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 04:10:52 pm »
First time on the kop with my mates. Nearly didn't get in the queues were that big - fella at the turnstile only had a view vouchers left (think they were for the Littlewoods Cup game coming up v Everton).

Amazing goal, one of the best seasons. Never tire of watching it.

I love your username. "It's still Barnes. That's a fabulous individual goal." (From memory, not having seen the clip for years).
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 04:12:22 pm »
Beardsley's blindside run to take away a defender is brilliant too. Using him by not using him, as Barry Davies would put it.

I miss Barry Davies.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »

Away in Finland prior to Euro 92 I think.

Completely agree with Jookie. I posted something about Barnes on here years back, just my favourite player I think and one who seemed lightyears above opponents. Always felt that as long as Barnes was playing we’d be alright.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 04:17:49 pm »

Did Barnes lack anything at all in his game? One of the most unbelievable goals I've seen was a Barnes header (against Villa, FA Cup, 87-88). Then there's his pass with the outside of his foot to McMahon running through the Everton defence at an angle with a defender chasing him (McMahon). I used to call Collymore the most gifted English forward I've seen in my lifetime. With each memory I recount, I'm tending more towards Barnes.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 04:21:44 pm »
Did Barnes lack anything at all in his game? One of the most unbelievable goals I've seen was a Barnes header (against Villa, FA Cup, 87-88). Then there's his pass with the outside of his foot to McMahon running through the Everton defence at an angle with a defender chasing him (McMahon). I used to call Collymore the most gifted English forward I've seen in my lifetime. With each memory I recount, I'm tending more towards Barnes.

He had it all. Pace, power, great touch, a good work rate, very decent with his right foot too (think the curler to beat Villa late on was with his right, same as his goal in the 4-4 v Goodiaon). Good in the air too.

Think it was 89/90 when he top scored and played centrally quite a bit. Wonder where he would play in our current formation.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 06:02:07 pm »
I often wonder how Barnes is viewed by the wider football community. Football before the name change to the Premier League in 1992 doesn't get anywhere near as much hype as it got post name change, so it feels like younger people today aren't as exposed to his brilliance as they are to other players from yesteryear, like Shearer, Cantona and Henry. Do they know that he was as good, if not better, than any player who’s played in English football since 92?

He had it all. Pace, power, great touch, a good work rate, very decent with his right foot too (think the curler to beat Villa late on was with his right, same as his goal in the 4-4 v Goodiaon). Good in the air too.

Think it was 89/90 when he top scored and played centrally quite a bit. Wonder where he would play in our current formation.

Pre injury Barnes would have been in the Mane position I reckon if we stuck to this formation, i.e. deeper lying left forward with more of a remit to get involved and be creative than the right winger. I think Klopp is flexible enough, and Barnes good enough, to justify a change in formation to build the attack around Barnes though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:58:27 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 08:08:40 pm »
Did Barnes lack anything at all in his game?

For a forward player he didn't lack anything in particular. Technically he was superb -  dribbling, passing, heading, set pieces. Physically he was immense. Big, strong and powerful. He was fast but not lightning in the mode of a Salah. He had a great temperament too. Worked really hard, was tough as well. Players bounced off him though anyone who's seen those photo's of him in the late 80's kits with the small shorts can testify to fact that he had thighs like tree trunks.

I would say he was amazing in an era where forwards got less protection and it was harder to score loads of goals. Playing further forward in a 4-3-3 and being offered greater protection by referee's he'd almost be unstoppable. Not as good as Ronaldo or Messi but not a million miles off.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 08:15:23 pm »
I often wonder how Barnes is viewed by the wider football community. Football before the name change to the Premier League in 1992 doesn't get anywhere near as much hype as it got post name change, so it feels like younger people today aren't as exposed to his brilliance as they are to other players from yesteryear, like Shearer, Cantona and Henry. Do they know that he was as good, if not better, than any player who’s played in English football since 92?

In a wider sense I don't think other football fans hold him in the same regard. Three reasons -  his England form, the relative lack of domestic games on TV in the late 80's and the European ban meaning he didn't test himself in Europe until he was way past the peak of his powers. Anyone who saw him regularly between 87-91 knew he was absolutely top drawer. He was good for Watford as well to be fair. Teams like that had even less exposure on TV so very rarely did you see them play. Remember Barnes having a blinder against us for Watford in 1985. Think it was a Friday night, maybe the game before the 1985 European Cup Final. Scored 2 (1 a peach of a free kick) and ran the show in the 1st half. We won 4-3 in the end but he stuck out massively in what was a decent Watford team at the time.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 10:10:04 pm »
John Barnes was my hero as a young, aspiring sportsman. Yes, Gerrard had everything and almost carried various teams, but Barnes is the best English football player I’ve ever seen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 01:39:45 am »
I know John scored lots of great goals, but I always loved the one he got against Villa in 1990. There's nothing on...  then suddenly there is.  ;D
It's the first one on this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3Yw27wSs6mI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3Yw27wSs6mI</a>
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 01:55:56 am »
I guess, like many folk I was not in the Kop that day, heck not even on the same island but watching M.O.T.D that night was special, still have it on Vhs.

My cousin who was at the game had rang me after work to warn me not to miss it, I got the gist but he was talkin like a washing machine.

Offline HeWonItFromBrock

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 07:44:52 am »
You look back at the highlights from that 87-88 season and Barnes seemed to be involved in absolutely everything. God knows how many assists he must have had. I remember there used to be a buzz whenever he got the ball in a game. He had a real aura about him - pretty sure he never used to warm up on the pitch pre-match which made it more special when ran out just before kick off.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 08:16:15 am »
What a goal - the balance, precision and power. I remember it well. Still, in my opinion, the most gifted player I have seen play for Liverpool and that includes Suarez. Outrageously gifted player and a nice bloke to boot.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 08:36:46 am »
Still makes me chuckle when i remember hearing " Go on Tarmac lad " for the first time all those years ago , him and Beardsley were amazing together

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 09:03:27 am »
I know John scored lots of great goals, but I always loved the one he got against Villa in 1990. There's nothing on...  then suddenly there is.  ;D
It's the first one on this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3Yw27wSs6mI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3Yw27wSs6mI</a>
That one vs Palace was a thing of beauty. Not often you see a free kick caressed delicately but powerfully into the top corner...from a standing start.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 09:05:00 am »
Still makes me chuckle when i remember hearing " Go on Tarmac lad " for the first time all those years ago , him and Beardsley were amazing together

Do you remember the random shouts of "go on shirley" when redknapp was playing ? Could never work out what that was about other than in his earlier years he had a bit of a reputation for tarting out of some tackles
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 09:24:31 am »
Do you remember the random shouts of "go on shirley" when redknapp was playing ? Could never work out what that was about other than in his earlier years he had a bit of a reputation for tarting out of some tackles
So many funny shouts , a young Gerrard turning inside and out wide left trying to cut inside big lad in the Kop shouts " alright fucking Rivelino get the ball in the box "

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 09:34:17 am »
We digress from the subject, the ball from Barnes against Forest to Aldridge sublime in the semi final https://youtu.be/vZGf9iN15ls , the one thing i always remember about Barnes was he loved Steve Chettle https://youtu.be/RhwWS3FoQ2g