Author Topic: Liverpool vs AS Roma, Uefa Champions League Sem-Final 1st leg  (Read 97601 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Re: Liverpool vs AS Roma, Uefa Champions League Sem-Final 1st leg
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2018, 09:23:53 am »

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2018, 09:32:28 am »
Don't know enough about Real's fanbase to argue about them, but having lived over there I know that's complete bollocks about the Bayern fans.

If your only experience of opposition fans is what you read on social media then you'll get the wrong opinion of what a supporter base is like pretty quickly.

Imagine what Real and Bayern fans think we are like if they see some of the things some bad meff has written on Twitter. You need to have lived in the city of the club and be surrounded by the fans for a bit of time before you even have the slightest idea of what a fanbase is like, IMHO.

In terms of our game, not really sure what to expect. The atmosphere will be amazing. Don't think it'll be Chelsea '05 levels but that's because it's a 1st leg rather than the 2nd leg. Think the team will turn up and perform. We have done most times this season and we have done in the CL bar 45 minutes away at Seville.The unknown here is Roma. A team who is competing for 3rd or 4th in Serie A (and miles behind the top 2) shouldn't hold much fear for us. Then you look at what they did to Barcelona and you look at the group they got out of. And it begins to make wonder which Roma will turn up. The one who has lost to Fiorentina, Atalanta and Sampdoria at home or the one that has spanked Barcelona and Chelsea.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2018, 09:48:36 am »
Anyone know of a decent place in Newcastle City Centre to watch the game? Any Red Toons here?? (I know B&WP but the barmpot's not been online for a few days!!!!!!)

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2018, 09:49:28 am »
Buzzing at work today, can’t concentrate. These are the days when you wish you lived in the city to share some of the tension with colleagues :)
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2018, 10:01:56 am »
Do they have any injury problems?
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2018, 10:07:08 am »
Right this is it, no fucking about. Every man, woman, child, cat and dog needs to be up for this.

4 quarters to play, let's win the first 2 convincingly. Get fucking at these from the very first touch of the ball.

33 Days until the final and there is 1 team standing in our way.

She's waiting for us.

Offline xiaoguo

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:00 am »
Fuck me, is it Tuesday yet?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:47 am »
Told myself the City nerves were just because it was English opposition, but fuck me I'm starting to go again.

Great to feel like this again as May approaches.
:D

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:59 am »
Starting to get fucking excited and nervous for this!! Tomorrow is going to be so unproductive at work. The biggest reason why I am nervous, is becuase the strength of Roma is uncertain to me, against City we knew their strength and we knew it was going to be tough and they were clear favourites. But I am so uncertain about Roma.

Come on you reds!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:50 am »
just my own experience ; Chelsea had an edge because it was Chelsea, same with Utd & City more recently. Not saying we can't do it, just need to make more of a conscious effort

Maybe your memory is being clouded due to the fact that the majority of our big games in the CL under Rafa were against English teams, but we have done it on big occasions before, going back to when I was a kid. I remember parking my motorbike at my mates Aunties by Walton Hall Park when we played Spartak in 1993 I think it was and as we walked out of her road, we could hear the Kop.

Feel a lot more confident that when we played City, I hate playing English teams in Europe. Cmon you Reds.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2018, 10:30:08 am »
Dortmund two years ago was brilliant, too.
Villareal in the semi was better. People just have cognitive bias about Dortmund because of how the match panned out. Villareal was actually on another level to the United game in the Last 16. The further we get the louder it tends to get regardless of opposition.

Anfield will be up for this, so will the reds and so will Roma. We have enough quality to see us through.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2018, 10:36:20 am »
Villareal in the semi was better. People just have cognitive bias about Dortmund because of how the match panned out. Villareal was actually on another level to the United game in the Last 16. The further we get the louder it tends to get regardless of opposition.

Anfield will be up for this, so will the reds and so will Roma. We have enough quality to see us through.

Agreed on that. For years to come people will remember the Dortmund game more, definitely for the result, but the atmosphere against Villarreal was the best in that run of 3 great nights on the way to the final
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2018, 10:37:49 am »

They were all great but Dortmund takes some beating for me. When that header went in was as loud a moment as I’ve known anfield (having not been at 05 semi)

For consistent noise though City beat it as it was hostile and deafening from the start. Expecting the same tomorrow

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:26 am »
They were all great but Dortmund takes some beating for me. When that header went in was as loud a moment as I’ve known anfield (having not been at 05 semi)

For consistent noise though City beat it as it was hostile and deafening from the start. Expecting the same tomorrow

Trouble is Roma are used to an atmosphere.

City have never heard of the word.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2018, 10:46:35 am »

Very true!

I still think we have the edge due to the size of the stadium

Fans are miles away in Rome whereas I imagine anfield can be quite claustrophobic 

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:46 am »

I would say the Anfield atmosphere is not something they'll be used to.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2018, 10:53:00 am »

Some good atmospheres in Italy to be fair

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2018, 10:56:57 am »

Not sure they are. They average 37,000 in a stadium that holds that 70,000. Even then there fans are a long way from the pitch. Judging by the last game I saw them play they also favour the strange continental practice of waving flags throughout the entire game and beating some monotonous rhythm that is totally unrelated to what is happening on the pitch.

Anfield won’t be like that. The noise levels will be far more intense. The singing much more in your face. What happens on the pitch and what happens in the stands will be completely related and the energy will flow between Liverpool supporter and Liverpool player in a really shocking and disorientating way. For their players it will feel like they are competing against 15 men.

Come on Reds. This is our competition. Poor Roma know that too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red_Potato

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Potato beats scissors
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2018, 10:59:43 am »
Lucky t-shirt and socks have been gathering dust since the City second leg and will be popped on tomorrow.
Forget Salah, Mane, etc... I know why we've made it this far. All down to my lucky clobber.

Think we'll do them 2-0 in each game. Full strength backline will keep them out. Midfield will try to break everything down. Let our attack do the rest.
SOS member 7832

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2018, 11:00:06 am »

Dortmund also coincided with Hillsborough anniversary. The rendition of YNWA that evening was something that will remain in the hearts of many..... the result of course was spectacular. Having said that, the football we played againt Villareal was undoubtedly better..... and much less stressful ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:26:38 am by 24/7 »

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2018, 11:03:47 am »

To be fair, we were outclassed vs Dortmund while vs Villareal, we outclassed them. Easier to be loud when your team is winning.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2018, 11:03:58 am »

People don’t get the difference between a loud atmosphere and the atmosphere at Anfield.

At Anfield the atmosphere builds to a crescendo with the momentum of the game. It’s defiant in the face of set backs, full of belief on the road to a comeback and triumphant in victory.

Anfield plays on the emotions of the game twisting them in Liverpool’s favour like no other crowd. From the Zulu style war cry before the game intimidating the opposition, we gain the upper hand. Our players grow and the opposition shrinks.

Every opposition feels as though they’ll come prepared, but they can’t fail to underestimate the influence that Anfield has.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2018, 11:04:23 am »
Told myself the City nerves were just because it was English opposition, but fuck me I'm starting to go again.

Great to feel like this again as May approaches.

Always worse on the second match. Because you know it all comes down to that game.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2018, 11:22:32 am »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2018, 11:28:28 am »
People don’t get the difference between a loud atmosphere and the atmosphere at Anfield.

At Anfield the atmosphere builds to a crescendo with the momentum of the game. It’s defiant in the face of set backs, full of belief on the road to a comeback and triumphant in victory.

Anfield plays on the emotions of the game twisting them in Liverpool’s favour like no other crowd. From the Zulu style war cry before the game intimidating the opposition, we gain the upper hand. Our players grow and the opposition shrinks.

Every opposition feels as though they’ll come prepared, but they can’t fail to underestimate the influence that Anfield has.

Roma won't know what has hit them.We can be extremely intimidating to any player. One thing that sticks in my mind was the 06 FA Cup game v the Mancs, it was the first game after Neville had done that celebration in front of our fans at OT. From the kick-off, he got nothing but abuse, Gary Neville shags his Ma songs, the lot. You could see him wilt, the paddock were all up screaming at him, he just fell apart.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2018, 11:34:26 am »
Maybe your memory is being clouded due to the fact that the majority of our big games in the CL under Rafa were against English teams, but we have done it on big occasions before, going back to when I was a kid. I remember parking my motorbike at my mates Aunties by Walton Hall Park when we played Spartak in 1993 I think it was and as we walked out of her road, we could hear the Kop.

Feel a lot more confident that when we played City, I hate playing English teams in Europe. Cmon you Reds.

Yep, fair points

'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:04 am »
Nerves/Excitement have well and truly kicked in now!!!!!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:05 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/27/manchester-united-stabbed-rome-championsleague

It’s laughable to see the reaction over the bus welcome when Roma fans routinely attack opposition fans with knives.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Dave D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:03 am »
Are Roma trying to play down the atmosphere? We've see it all before.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Far better teams than Roma have come to Anfield on a big European night and crumbled, sometimes before they've even taken to the pitch.

The bigger, the louder and the more fanatical the crowd (without crossing over the line), the larger our own players grow, they grow into giants that night. The opposition shrinks into nothing. They can't grasp the fact that fans will travel for miles, a lot of them without tickets, just to cheer the Liverpool team bus heading towards the stadium.

But it's not about the opposition, it's not about Roma. They just happen to be in the way. It's about our own team, about the last home game in Europe this season and about heading back to where we belong.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2018, 11:52:28 am »
Are Roma trying to play down the atmosphere? We've see it all before.

Even when they're leading and going through, teams can crumble at the last second, as the match from the above pic proved ;D

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2018, 11:59:31 am »
"Go back to Italllly..... Go back to Italllly....."

Offline Mighty Zeus

• Legacy Fan
  • Smite the Tories (with lightning)
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2018, 12:01:48 pm »
Already completely incapable of doing any work and it's Monday afternoon.

Socialist Ignoramus Since 2500 BCE

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2018, 12:02:22 pm »
"Go back to Italllly..... Go back to Italllly....."
This is a must

Offline Dave D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 23, 2018, 12:05:32 pm »

It wasn’t a big decision for me. It was the only club that could have broken up my holiday. I had enough offers, I was saying, 'No, no, sorry, not now', and then came Liverpool. And I know how this sounds, and what people will say, but I fell in love.

I felt responsible really quickly. It’s like if you are in my inner circle, my family, my friends. I felt Liverpool was both: family and friends.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #194 on: April 23, 2018, 12:11:22 pm »
The atmosphere is more about what it does to our players for me. Some teams do crumble when they come to Anfield (alright blue shite) but I think that in europe it is partly because they realise that our players are on another level with the support behind them. Lampard said as much, it didn't bother him but he could see that every Liverpool player was playing out of their skin because of it. I don't think Roma will 'shit themselves' per se but hopefully there comes a point where they realise that there is nothing they can do to stop Liverpool Football Club and it's destiny in europe. Just like Chelsea, Juventus, Dortmund and everyone else before them came to realise.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:13:55 pm by MerseysideBrum »
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2018, 12:16:28 pm »
Just watching the highlights of the Barca game again.

Some shambolic defending at times.

With this Roma side I'm worried their midfield might dominate us and the ball over the top which worked well against Barca.

Really feeling the anxiety and excitement already.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2018, 12:17:39 pm »
 8)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8uTaJo0uH9A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8uTaJo0uH9A</a>
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2018, 12:17:51 pm »
Can't wait for this.

Let's come flying out of the blocks.

Shock and awe. Crush and destroy.

Keep this Red Machine humming.

:scarf          :scarf            :scarf

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:17 pm »
Hope they bring a ball. Game balls ours, they cant use it.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2018, 12:29:55 pm »
8)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8uTaJo0uH9A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8uTaJo0uH9A</a>
Tune!!!
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."