Author Topic: Preseason tour summer 2018 - sponsored by Findus (other products are available)  (Read 354914 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
I'm pretty sure LFC will be part of the International Champion's Cup this summer. It will be 18 teams with matches played all over the world. Three matches per side in the Cup tournament.

It looks like LFC will play two matches in the USA and one in Europe as part of this Cup.

Now whether LFC schedule additional matches in the USA other than this Cup, i'm not sure.

The International Champions Cup dates and venues are set to be announced about April 17th. So that probably gives you an idea when LFC might put out their tour dates as well.

That's all the news I know as of now.  :wave
« Last Edit: August 4, 2018, 09:51:08 pm by John C »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: Preseason tour summer 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:03 am »
I unfortunately went to one of these NA matches following the World Cup and it was a bit disappointing as the big stars are not really playing due to their extended holiday post WC. It is however a good way to see some of the younger players.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline commando

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:51 am »
I went to the Pool Barca game at Wembley the other season. It was boss.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:01:12 pm »
I unfortunately went to one of these NA matches following the World Cup and it was a bit disappointing as the big stars are not really playing due to their extended holiday post WC. It is however a good way to see some of the younger players.

Barring any injury at the start of pre season you will still get to see Karius, Trent, Clyne, Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Milner, Moreno. Plus maybe some new signings who may not go to the world cup  (Pulisic).

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 06:05:27 pm »
Someone going to come in here and complain why we aren't taking the lads to Wrexham and Norway like we used to.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 06:07:54 pm »
Must keep momentum up through the close season so we go into that first game like a fucking steam train
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 06:58:50 pm »
Must not lose pre season games.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:58:26 pm »
Why aren’t we taking the lads to Wrexham and Norway like we used to?!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 08:01:25 pm »
'Cos it's Rhyl and Finland's turn.

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 08:24:06 pm »
Would’ve been wise to keep pre season in Europe, what with it being a WC year and the small matter of a UEFA super cup we’ll have to contend.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:30:55 pm by T.Mills »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:45 pm »
Looks like we might be in Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL for our two preseason matches in the International Champions Cup..

Wait for confirmation though.. :P

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:06 pm »
I'm going back home to Maine in the summer for a few weeks, shame they aren't coming to the east coast. Ah well!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:33:57 pm »
Looks like we might be in Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL for our two preseason matches in the International Champions Cup..

I did not think the Deep South would be a hotbed for our kind of football.  ;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 10:10:13 pm »
Nashville would be a fun trip....Birmingham not so much. Heat though......

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 12:51:38 am »

Hopefully fuck Alabama off, for a whole host of reasons

Be better off in Mexico City, if staying south

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 01:03:03 am »
Jesus christ, why Birmingham AL out of all places, wish it was somewhere in Florida.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 01:05:01 am »
Like the idea of Nashville. But Birmingham AL?  :o No chance!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 10:13:39 am »
I am sure Salah would love it there if he was available to play.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:17 pm »
I'm going back home to Maine in the summer for a few weeks, shame they aren't coming to the east coast. Ah well!
I wouldn’t be surprised if they play a friendly at Fenway and stay and train at Harvard like they did a few years ago. 

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 08:32:14 pm »
Hopefully fuck Alabama off, for a whole host of reasons

Be better off in Mexico City, if staying south

Agreed. Alabama makes zero sense. Negative sense really. It will be unbearably hot and birmingham is tiny with almost no “soccer” fans. Nashville probably is only a little better honestly. Pretty small with a very niche fan community (do they have an LFC supporters club?). Nashville is fun though. On balance, Boston or NYC please.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 11:49:03 pm »
Agreed. Alabama makes zero sense. Negative sense really. It will be unbearably hot and birmingham is tiny with almost no “soccer” fans. Nashville probably is only a little better honestly. Pretty small with a very niche fan community (do they have an LFC supporters club?). Nashville is fun though. On balance, Boston or NYC please.

Actually, Birmingham Alabama seems to be a pretty strong football city that is getting stronger year by year.  They’ve just been awarded a USL (2nd division in the US) club and they will be building a football specific stadium for the team.   I suspect that playing these games in Birmingham will help build the game in that city. 

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 11:52:30 pm »
Mane and Salah in Birmingham, AL. Sounds fantastic.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 12:13:12 am »
One has to remember that we will be part of the International Champions Cup put on by Relevent Sports. AKA Charlie Stillitano company.

I went to Charlotte in 2014 for the AC Milan match. Charlotte was not a hot bed for soccer, still isn't.  Is in the "South". Yet the stadium was virtually a sell out and 90% Liverpool.

Why was the match played there....read on:

In exchange for using taxpayer money to renovate Bank of America Stadium, the Carolina Panthers are required to provide five rent-free days a year, during which the city of Charlotte can book non-NFL events during the offseason. Think concerts, college football games, even beer festivals.

It’s a perk that can save city taxpayers $250,000 per event.

<snip>

In years past, international soccer games have been successful in the uptown stadium, drawing thousands of fans who also end up patronizing local bars, restaurants and hotels. The biggest game was in 2014, when Liverpool played AC Milan. It had a total economic impact of $16.5 million, which included $8.3 million in direct spending, according to the CRVA. More than 69,000 people attended.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article151134747.html

So when you see matches in his tournament outside big metropolitan areas, it's all about the money. How much can he save on stadium rental or other concessions. The more he saves, the more he makes.

He also whignes because clubs want so much in order to play in his events. Hence the high ticket prices.

If you go, it's a good time out. Just don't expect the match to have the intensity of a League match. Or expect the top players will be there and play a bunch.

Offline Stout

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 12:42:08 pm »
I was in Charlotte for that game as well.  Fantastic atmosphere before and during the match.  During one of the massive LFC pre-parties, I met the Director of Sponsorships for the Panthers and he was amazed at the amount of our fans looking to congregate and have fun before the match.   

Count me in for Nashville~!

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 06:49:36 pm »
Liverpool would bring their newly won CL trophy on tour as well.

Lucky NA fans.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 07:43:04 pm »
Wonder if a game or two in Africa might be on the cards in future pre-seasons. A game in Egypt would be insane.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 08:59:49 pm »

I don't think it really matters where we play. Fans from neighboring and/or other states will come in droves anyway. I spend half the year in the USA and reside in Florida, and I know that if Liverpool were going to play in Birmingham, Alabama I'd be on the first flight there. I'd even drive if I have to.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 09:10:36 pm »
I don't think it really matters where we play. Fans from neighboring and/or other states will come in droves anyway. I spend half the year in the USA and reside in Florida, and I know that if Liverpool were going to play in Birmingham, Alabama I'd be on the first flight there. I'd even drive if I have to.

I may do the same.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:35 pm »
https://bbc.in/2E5NNSs

Liverpool and Manchester United are set to meet in pre-season in the US, with the second biggest stadium in the world lined up as a potential venue.

The game will be part of the annual International Champions Cup in July.

While a venue has yet to be agreed, Michigan's 107,000-capacity 'Big House' in Ann Arbor is a possible option for the game.

The capacity has been reduced from when 109,000 watched United play Real Madrid there in 2014.

The biggest stadium in the world is the 114,000-capacity Rungrado 1 May Stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea.

Liverpool and United met in the final of the 2014 event in Miami, with Louis van Gaal's team winning 3-1.

The ICC has featured increasingly high-profile matches in recent years. United met City in Houston in the first Manchester derby to be played outside England in 2017 and Barcelona and Real Madrid played in El Clasico in Miami.

It is understood there will be no repeat of the Manchester derby this term, with City, who could also face Jurgen Klopp's side, preferring to base themselves on the east coast of the US, with United on the west.

This summer's fixtures are due to be announced next week, with Real Madrid, AC Milan and Juventus among the high-profile clubs set to be involved.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 12:36:14 pm »
Urghh, why are we playing them in a fucking friendly? Horrible.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 12:44:28 pm »
The Big House is notoriously a pain to get out of at the end of a game.  No surprise that they've selected it though, as you would be able to get a lot of people from the U.S. Midwest and Ontario interested in going. No roof there though, so you'd have to hope the weather is decent, as it will be quite humid regardless (given it's being played on a Saturday, I'd assume it would be an afternoon kick-off)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 01:16:38 pm »
We play City on a Wednesday in July, out of all days for them to pick.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 02:25:23 pm »
I used to enjoy playing some games against local teams during pre-season. Gets a bit boring playing English teams in pre-season too.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2018, 02:29:40 pm »
how utterly shit that they play other premier league teams  :wanker :wanker I don't want to see them play Saudi FC and United. 

Still, I bet I do waste my money on them if they are playing in Newark, being as it's the most 'local' of the big stadiums for me!

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 02:43:13 pm »
https://bbc.in/2E5NNSs

Can you imagine if Mr Kim from North Korea was our owner. We will surely have upgraded Anfield to 130k. I bet it will still be a sellout every match.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Sevens and Eights

• Main Stander
  • Football is my oxygen.
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 02:58:36 pm »
Unfortunate on the dates and teams so far. I enjoyed the hell out of the Match when our Reds played AC  Milan in San Fransisco. Met up with a lot of amazing supporters, the stadium was excellent, and loved the LFC charter out there, enjoyed quite a few pints in the pub before and after. But as it looks, I Cant see myself making anything so far... *sigh*

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2018, 03:17:21 pm »
If they do end up playing City at Met Life Stadium as is rumoured, then that is such a shit venue for a match. I went to the Bayern Munich - Real Madrid game there season before. It's just utterly crap. Out in the middle of a swamp in Newark, you either drive or get the train. And if you drive, then enjoy the 2 hours you'll be stuck trying to get out after, especially rubbish for mid-week games. And of course, being that it's in the middle of nowhere, not like you can do the 'pub' thing before and after.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2018, 03:31:37 pm »
just tried to look at getting vacation days during that week, and someone has already taken it before me, ffs

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2018, 03:59:28 pm »
Was in New York a few weeks back and couldn’t see any of our kits etc available but plenty of arsenal/chelsea/City/spurs/United (probably down to us being with new balance who don’t get as much space as Adidas/Nike) but surely they need to rectify this pretty quickly as that will effect things a fair bit?

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 04:02:57 pm »
The kits have been sold out everywhere for two or three months now. I think demand was high initially and the club didn't think it was worth making more post-xmas.