Author Topic: 21/22 Goals and assists  (Read 142856 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Our goalscorers
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2016, 02:57:18 am »
Seems mad that we're the top scorers in the league but don't have a single player in the top 5 scorers so far.

That's what I love the most about this, we're not soley dependent on one player to score goals.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2016, 01:48:56 pm »
No one from Llandudno has Bangor as their local side ;)

I'm going to that game as well, should be good [emoji106]
I am Bangor born and bred and proud of it I.
Now live in Llandudno!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:50:37 pm by gatcliffe »
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »
I am Bangor born and bred I now living in Llandudno!

My da is Bangor born and bred and now living in Lisburn. Used to follow Bangors results but they've been shite for years. Not the Welsh Bangor though. No idea about them.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2016, 01:54:57 pm »
My da is Bangor born and bred and now living in Lisburn. Used to follow Bangors results but they've been shite for years. Not the Welsh Bangor though. No idea about them.
They went downhill when they had to join Welsh League. However around late seventies early eighties they were a top non league side playing at Wembley in 84 which I was proud to witness. What part of Bangor is your dad from ?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »
They went downhill when they had to join Welsh League. However around late seventies early eighties they were a top non league side playing at Wembley in 84 which I was proud to witness. What part of Bangor is your dad from ?

Whitehill Estate. I doubt you know it  ;D

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2016, 02:02:43 pm »
Whitehill Estate. I doubt you know it  ;D
That is in Bangor North Wales ?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2016, 02:08:38 pm »
That is in Bangor North Wales ?

Northern Ireland mate  ;D

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2016, 02:13:03 pm »
Northern Ireland mate  ;D

Sorry did not read earlier reply carefully enough lol.

Offline shuie

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2016, 04:10:41 pm »
I worked out if we score 1 goal against city we would have scored more goals than any other premier league side ever at this stage. We are matching 09/10 Chelsea season

Chelsea scored 45 at game 19

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2016, 07:41:11 pm »
I am Bangor born and bred and proud of it I.
Now live in Llandudno!
What did you do wrong to have to move there ;D I'm basically from Bangor myself mate  ;)

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2016, 05:51:51 pm »
I worked out if we score 1 goal against city we would have scored more goals than any other premier league side ever at this stage. We are matching 09/10 Chelsea season

Chelsea scored 45 at game 19

What about Man City in 13/14?

I think they had scored 54 goals after the first 19 games.

(Interestingly, they had conceded 21; if we keep a clean sheet at the weekend, then that's as many as us this season, though our defence/keeper are being lambasted for it).

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »
So if we beat Man City 9-0 we'll be doing as well as they did after 19 games in 2013-14. Sounds doable.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »
There's also Man U in 12/13 who had 48 goals after 19 games.

In 11/12:  MC had 53 and MU had 49.

In 09/10:  Ars had 51

In 04/05:  Ars had 47

MU had 45 in 01/02 and 46 in 00/01 and 50 in 99/00

In 97/98, Chelsea and MU both had 45

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 2, 2017, 05:53:43 pm »

Mane - 9
Origi - 7
Lallana - 7
Firmino - 7
Coutinho - 6
Sturridge - 6
Milner - 5
Emre - 3
Lovren - 2
Gini - 2

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 2, 2017, 06:00:15 pm »
What did you do wrong to have to move there ;D I'm basically from Bangor myself mate  ;)

What part you from bud ?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2017, 07:54:12 pm »

Mane - 9
Firmino - 9
Origi - 7
Lallana - 7
Coutinho - 6
Sturridge - 6
Milner - 6
Emre - 3
Lovren - 2
Gini - 2

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2017, 07:58:36 pm »
Mane - 9
Firmino - 9
Origi - 7
Lallana - 7
Coutinho - 6
Sturridge - 6
Milner - 6
Emre - 3
Lovren - 2
Gini - 2

Put a 0 for our goalie at the front of that and madly enough, you have got my man's number for my mescaline. Crazy shit that.

Immaculate
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2017, 08:00:11 pm »

Put a 0 for our goalie at the front of that and madly enough, you have got my man's number for my mescaline. Crazy shit that.

Immaculate

Thank's for the laugh mate, what a shit day

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
« Reply #138 on: February 6, 2017, 12:05:44 pm »
Does everyone still agree with the general theme of this thread that we don't need a main goal scorer?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #139 on: February 6, 2017, 12:32:33 pm »
Does everyone still agree with the general theme of this thread that we don't need a main goal scorer?

They'd be mad if they did.

You wont win this league with Firmino leading your line, a player who's never broken the 20 league goal mark and doesnt look like doing so any time soon.

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
« Reply #140 on: February 6, 2017, 12:36:46 pm »
They'd be mad if they did.

You wont win this league with Firmino leading your line, a player who's never broken the 20 league goal mark and doesnt look like doing so any time soon.

I agree, it's just looking through this thread the posters who said we need a proper goal scorer were shot down. I don't get why anyone wouldn't want a striker who gets 20-25(and hopefully more) goals a season. We need someone who opposition defences fear.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #141 on: February 6, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »

It doesn't have to be one way or the other.

I've fallen in both camps because I prefer a side which shares its goals around rather than being geared towards one central striker a la United with van Nistelrooy because I think a side's ceiling - both in terms of playing style and results - is higher with the former strategy. Moreover, we are always likely to be more of the former than the latter under Klopp with or without a top class striker.

Equally, however, I recognised that the player we've been using as a striker for most of the season cannot hit a barn door consistently and to compete on all fronts you need a striker who can take his chances and even create some for himself when the team is not playing well as a whole (and therefore will struggle to share the goals around).

We haven't had that player in this squad since Sturridge's decline and it's a gaping hole which needs filling in order to do the "win when not playing well" thing more frequently, hence why I've been boring people since October after that horrible 0-0 draw against United when Firmino missed that chance due to a lack of pace and a lack of finishing ability which has since reared its head on numerous occasions and cost us points. Just as I feared it would.

We've got the lads who can get 8-12 league goals every season: Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino. Wijnaldum has shown at different clubs he can do that too, even if playing in his current position and style getting anything beyond 5 or 6 would be a bit of an ask.

But you're going back a long way since a side last won the title without an individual who scored 20 goals in that season. United in 2008-09 is the last time, at a time when fewer goals were scored and football was generally a bit more cagey, but they still had the second best player on the planet banging in 18 in a season when he took his foot off the gas before his move to Madrid and had a defence behind him keeping 11 consecutive clean sheets.

I'm all for us being the best attacking side we can be. But with our rivals all having a top striker leading the line, and with the exception of Aguero (because he's being replaced by a different top striker) all looking near certain to hit that 20+ league goals mark this campaign, it seems a hell of an uphill task to try and finish above them with the leakiest defence and without any individual who realistically looks capable of going past 15.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #142 on: February 6, 2017, 12:39:06 pm »
I agree, it's just looking through this thread the posters who said we need a proper goal scorer were shot down. I don't get why anyone wouldn't want a striker who gets 20-25(and hopefully more) goals a season. We need someone who opposition defences fear.

Loads of people who think a lad who can press to a high level is more important than someone who can put the ball in the net to and elite level.

Goals are overrated.

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
« Reply #143 on: February 6, 2017, 12:46:14 pm »
Loads of people who think a lad who can press to a high level is more important than someone who can put the ball in the net to and elite level.

Goals are overrated.

Haha madness isn't it! We need a real striker not a hybrid one like firmino. Get one alongside a solid centre back pairing and top goalie and we will be sound.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 6, 2017, 01:00:57 pm »
Definitely better to spread goals around. What if your team is built around one scorer and he gets injured or loses form?

We've obviously got big problems at the moment but they're certainly not down to having a good spread of goalscorers.

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: February 6, 2017, 01:12:10 pm »
Definitely better to spread goals around. What if your team is built around one scorer and he gets injured or loses form?

We've obviously got big problems at the moment but they're certainly not down to having a good spread of goalscorers.

That's one way to look at it. Another is what happens when your 10 goals a season players hit a dry patch in front of goal? As they are not what I would call regular goal scorers. Then you need that someone who can do something out of nothing or can get on the end of something, someone clinical who will take a chance when there aren't many going. I believe we have the support players just not the main man.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 6, 2017, 01:24:40 pm »
That's one way to look at it. Another is what happens when your 10 goals a season players hit a dry patch in front of goal? As they are not what I would call regular goal scorers. Then you need that someone who can do something out of nothing or can get on the end of something, someone clinical who will take a chance when there aren't many going. I believe we have the support players just not the main man.

Well statistically it's a lot less likely for, say, four 10-goals a season players to all hit a dry patch, than it is for one 25-goal a season player to do the same.

Agree we lack someone who can score out of nothing though. That doesn't have to be the main striker's job though, it's something that the likes of Yaya & Stevie have done in the past from midfield. I think that's where Coutinho really needs to up his game - we know he can do it but he's in a proper rut right now.

I also think a more pressing issue than a 25-goal-a-season striker is our impotence from set plays. I remember getting excited a few months back when Lovren and Matip both scored in successive games. I thought it was the dawn of a new era of us being a threat from every angle. I dont think either has scored since. One of the hallmarks of successful Premier League teams is they have defenders who can dig the team out with a scrappy header from a corner in a dire 1-0 game. How many times have Cahill, Huth, Kompany, Vidic, Terry, Bruce, etc, dug their team out on the way to winning the league. We really could have done with a couple of goals like that in January.

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #147 on: February 6, 2017, 01:41:30 pm »
I really like the fact that our entire midfield has added goals to their overall game this season. However, I will always believe it's difficult to win the league (or compete for it at a very high level) without a natural striker that can guarantee you 15+ goals per season alone. If Sturridge, or Origi were on form this season, then things would have been a lot different.

Manchester United this season are a perfect example of how important a striker that can score 15 (and most likely more) goals can be. I really wanted that striker to be Sturridge for us, but it's a shame how football works sometimes.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #148 on: February 6, 2017, 01:59:32 pm »
How many goals are you really taking out of the team, out of the unit, by replacing Firmino?

Does Mane suddenly fall off a cliff without Firmino as the 9, or Coutinho, or Lallana? I find it hard to believe.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #149 on: February 6, 2017, 02:12:33 pm »
I'm all for having goals spread around the team.

I'm also all for having lads scoring them and going through hot streaks at different times, as opposed to all at once or nothing at all. These lads' form rely on each other it seems

Guess that's what happens when it's all about the system....so unless we have a season where they're firing throughout we need to find another way or a way of mixing it up

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 6, 2017, 02:20:51 pm »
I'm all for having goals spread around the team.

I'm also all for having lads scoring them and going through hot streaks at different times, as opposed to all at once or nothing at all. These lads' form rely on each other it seems

Does their form all rely on each other? Or was Jan just a perfect storm of shit for each of them?

- Mane away
- Firmino drunk driving & burglary
- Coutinho returning from injury (which seems to be taking forever to return to form tbf)
- Lallana being shifted away from a position where he's prolific to a position where he's ineffective.

Maybe if only one of those things had happened, the others could have carried the effected player for a bit and help ease them back into form over a couple of games, but when it's all going on at once it just becomes a mess. 

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 6, 2017, 02:21:00 pm »

Like Chelsea?

No team is winning this league without a top striker, and if you don't have one then you better make sure that you have the best defence in the league to supplement for it, having several players who are not renowned for scoring goals being relied upon isn't ideal, i would rather us relying on a top class striker i.e Costa, Kane, or Ibra, 2 of the 3 also work hard and contribute in other ways so you don't have to have one or the other.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 6, 2017, 02:23:40 pm »
Like Chelsea?

No team is winning this league without a top striker, and if you don't have one then you better make sure that you have the best defence in the league to supplement for it, having several players who are not renowned for scoring goals being relied upon isn't ideal, i would rather us relying on a top class striker i.e Costa, Kane, or Ibra, 2 of the 3 also work hard and contribute in other ways so you don't have to have one or the other.

Some teams win the league with a prolific scorer, some dont. The Chelsea team of the mid-00s or the Man Utd team of the early/mid 90s never had a player coming close to 20 league goals a season.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 6, 2017, 02:26:44 pm »
Some teams win the league with a prolific scorer, some dont. The Chelsea team of the mid-00s or the Man Utd team of the early/mid 90s never had a player coming close to 20 league goals a season.

How good was the Chelsea defence of those years, can't remember but it must have been up there? No?

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 6, 2017, 02:30:29 pm »
Think I am on the sign a proper goalscorer side of the fence.

I understand that Firmino is "crucial to the way we play TM" argument, but the way we play has us in 5th now a point ahead of the Mancs. Perhaps it is just bad luck but I am not convinced it is.

I think the thing about having a Shearer, Fowler, Costa etc is that even when the team is not firing you still have a chance to win. I think Firmino has done a good job, but I am not sure he is able to regularly get you goals when the team in not playing well. He did do that against Swansea to be fair to him.

If Firmino has to fight it out with Mane and Coutinho for the two wider slots - so be it. I am pretty sure we would be doing better if we had Suarez or peak Torres or Fowler in the side right now. It looks as if Sturridge may not be that player any more sadly. I think it could be worth putting him in that central striking slot for a few games though. We couldn't do any worse. 
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 6, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »
How good was the Chelsea defence of those years, can't remember but it must have been up there? No?

Yeah probably the best around. Scored loads of goals too by spreading them amongst Lampard, Drogba, Robben, Duff, Cole, Gudjohnsen, Terry, Gallas, etc.

Spreading our goals around isn't the cause of our current malaise.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 6, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »
Yeah probably the best around. Scored loads of goals too by spreading them amongst Lampard, Drogba, Robben, Duff, Cole, Gudjohnsen, Terry, Gallas, etc.

We have no where near the best defence, thats how it normally works, isn't it?

If you don't have a top striker at least have the best defence around to supplement for it as i said in my first post.

We have neither, and are relying on Coutinho Lallana Firmino who have never been proflific more than a season to score the majority of our goals, only thing is when it comes down to it Firmnio misses far more big game chances than Costa would, and then we leak goals as well.

We need a striker or forward who can score 20 goals in the league, period, and we probably won't come anywhere close to the league till we do.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #157 on: February 6, 2017, 02:52:51 pm »
Chelsea had Lampard on 16-goals one season and Drogba on 20-goals the next so a bit of a stretch to say they has no-one close to 20-goals a season.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 6, 2017, 02:54:00 pm »
We have no where near the best defence, thats how it normally works, isn't it?

If you don't have a top striker at least have the best defence around to supplement for it as i said in my first post.

We have neither, and are relying on Coutinho Lallana Firmino who have never been proflific more than a season to score the majority of our goals, only thing is when it comes down to it Firmnio misses far more big game chances than Costa would, and then we leak goals as well.

We need a striker or forward who can score 20 goals in the league, period, and we probably won't come anywhere close to the league till we do.

But we're the top scorers in the league. Scoring goals isn't our problem. What difference does it make if our 52 goals were scored by 1 player or 10? Are you suggesting that if we had one prolific striker he would have spread his goals out differently to ensure we scored some of them against Hull?

It's not a case of "If you don't have a top striker at least have the best defence around to supplement for it", it's a case of if the team doesn't score enough goals at least have the best defence around to supplement for it.

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
« Reply #159 on: February 6, 2017, 02:54:28 pm »
Well statistically it's a lot less likely for, say, four 10-goals a season players to all hit a dry patch, than it is for one 25-goal a season player to do the same.

Agree we lack someone who can score out of nothing though. That doesn't have to be the main striker's job though, it's something that the likes of Yaya & Stevie have done in the past from midfield. I think that's where Coutinho really needs to up his game - we know he can do it but he's in a proper rut right now.

I also think a more pressing issue than a 25-goal-a-season striker is our impotence from set plays. I remember getting excited a few months back when Lovren and Matip both scored in successive games. I thought it was the dawn of a new era of us being a threat from every angle. I dont think either has scored since. One of the hallmarks of successful Premier League teams is they have defenders who can dig the team out with a scrappy header from a corner in a dire 1-0 game. How many times have Cahill, Huth, Kompany, Vidic, Terry, Bruce, etc, dug their team out on the way to winning the league. We really could have done with a couple of goals like that in January.

Some good points mate but your first sentence says it's less likely that 4 players will hit a dry patch together, but it is the reality of what's happened in the last month