Author Topic: Lazar Markovic  (Read 145497 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lazar Markovic
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2016, 06:06:08 pm »
Much better today, lovely assist, few good runs and some very nice cheeky passes behind their defense.
He can play football, just needs to be a bit more assertive which I think will rub off on him while working under Klopp.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2016, 06:08:27 pm »
He was better today, but I don't think it bodes particularly well that a number of the academy players who are 16, 17 years old are outshining him in these pre-season games. He'll get his chance this pre-season like everyone else but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves, be it on loan or permanently, before the end of the window.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2016, 06:09:36 pm »
I just think the lad has no confidence. He has always been talented but he got few proper opportunities under Rodgers. Then he was quickly shifted out the door on loan which can't have done a young lad much good either. I imagine that's why he didn't shine in Turkey last year. If there's a manager that could make him believe in himself it is Klopp without a doubt. He's quick, has nice feet and is able to hit a good ball as today demonstrated. I just worry that he'll be deemed surplus to requirements due to the strong competition in that area of that park and our dramatically reduced work load. Would really like it to work out for him.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2016, 06:10:04 pm »
He was better today, but I don't think it bodes particularly well that a number of the academy players who are 16, 17 years old are outshining him in these pre-season games. He'll get his chance this pre-season like everyone else but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves, be it on loan or permanently, before the end of the window.
Got to agree...it feels like he's biding his time until it really is needed...but he needs to show everything he's got now or he'll be overlooked.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »
Exactly. Let's see what Klopp can get out of him before we write him off....in the middle of July! It's like the Christmas adverts, the Rawk write off, gets earlier each year.

Too me he just seems to light weight and bullied around too much.
Let's see what klopp can do with him.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2016, 06:17:04 pm »
Much better today, lovely assist, few good runs and some very nice cheeky passes behind their defense.
He can play football, just needs to be a bit more assertive which I think will rub off on him while working under Klopp.

He has something very important for a player in Klopp's attacking setup, and that is good awareness. Ibe, for all his obvious physical and technical attributes, was lacking it.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2016, 06:20:44 pm »
He has something very important for a player in Klopp's attacking setup, and that is good awareness. Ibe, for all his obvious physical and technical attributes, was lacking it.

That's true. It's natural to him, finds space with ease and is aware of his teammates in every moment.
We'll see how it goes for him, but I'm hopeful. He could do with an 'easy' half season of playing as a sub, then picking it up towards the end of the season. Needs to relax a bit and it'll come.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2016, 06:22:26 pm »
It's not just Markovic that these 16/17 years olds are outshining though, so it's obvious what needs to be done...
... we need to play our U18s in the league, that much is clear.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2016, 06:25:19 pm »
It's not just Markovic that these 16/17 years olds are outshining though, so it's obvious what needs to be done...

Lets make it happen!

Nah seriously though, whilst they are outshining some of the senior pros, many of those are not borderline in the way that Markovic is. Doesn't really matter if Firmino is shit for the whole tour, he's still an integral part of the team. Markovic is playing for his future here, and maybe it's just me that isn't seeing the desire/quality reflected in his play, but he needs a good pre-season more than most.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2016, 06:26:07 pm »

I'd agree with this for the most part.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2016, 06:30:55 pm »

Nah, lets just allow them to develop at a natural pace with the U-21's.

Offline kopite17

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2016, 06:52:43 pm »
when he gets on the ball i always want him to just try and take on a player or two. he has definitely got the pace for it, to me he seems to always opt for the safe option which is why he never stands out, a few nice touches today but i still expect him to do more, it looks like hes got it in him to do so.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2016, 07:18:41 pm »
when he gets on the ball i always want him to just try and take on a player or two. he has definitely got the pace for it, to me he seems to always opt for the safe option which is why he never stands out, a few nice touches today but i still expect him to do more, it looks like hes got it in him to do so.

Excruciating little player isn't he..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Captain Kos

• Main Stander
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2016, 07:23:41 pm »
There's a few factors which will impact markovics performance.  Klopp and his tactics will be very new, triple training sessions and different players around him. He seems to be improving from this little action in preseason to show better awareness and team play which Klopp is pushing
I dream of a team of Daniel Aggers!

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2016, 07:29:20 pm »
Lets make it happen!

Nah seriously though, whilst they are outshining some of the senior pros, many of those are not borderline in the way that Markovic is. Doesn't really matter if Firmino is shit for the whole tour, he's still an integral part of the team. Markovic is playing for his future here, and maybe it's just me that isn't seeing the desire/quality reflected in his play, but he needs a good pre-season more than most.

But we don't know that he is borderline, mate. None of us have any idea what Klopp and Buvac are thinking. I mean, for all of Markovic's lackluster and timid play, which I agree there is some, he got an assist and created three or four good chances for teammates he barely knows in 45 minutes.

Sometimes, and I include myself in this, I think we hold this kid to a near-impossible standard. He has all the talent and physical attributes to be a very good player, but he is still only 22, and like many 22 year-olds he still has a lot to learn about the mental side of the game.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2016, 07:34:42 pm »
He has the ability, he just needs to take people on and keep going.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2016, 08:04:49 pm »
But we don't know that he is borderline, mate. None of us have any idea what Klopp and Buvac are thinking. I mean, for all of Markovic's lackluster and timid play, which I agree there is some, he got an assist and created three or four good chances for teammates he barely knows in 45 minutes.

Sometimes, and I include myself in this, I think we hold this kid to a near-impossible standard. He has all the talent and physical attributes to be a very good player, but he is still only 22, and like many 22 year-olds he still has a lot to learn about the mental side of the game.

True, I suppose we don't. There have been a fair few murmurings that we're perfectly happy to let him go but I guess none of us really know for sure.

Take what you're saying about us holding young players to a high standard as well. I've been guilty in the past with Can who's turned out to be a potential monster. Maybe it's the Sterling effect.

Have to say though, I wouldn't normally class myself as one to completely write off players just because they are performing poorly. I've stuck up plenty in the past for the likes of Lallana, Lovren and Moreno when they were playing like shit and everyone under the sun was ready to throw them under the bus or bin them off because I always though they were better than they were showing (although with Moreno I'm now not so sure...). When it comes to Markovic though, I've just never seen it. I don't get what it is about him that excites people, or gives them hope that he'll go on to be a player for us. He has talent, I'm not saying he doesn't, but I don't see a single standout feature other than pace and I don't think he brings anything to the table that warrants having him in the side.

I feel like a lot of hope stems from the fact that we have Klopp, who everyone seems to think will magically improve every single player he works with, particularly the young ones. Everyone said (and maybe I was guilty of it too...) that he would turn Ibe into a monster when he first came in and Ibe had a couple of good performances. He had all the tools, and clearly there was talent there, surely it was only a matter of time before Klopp turned him into a serious player for us, right? Fast forward 7 months and Ibe is at Bournemouth.

I'm not saying he's rubbish or anything, but I don't think he excels in any area of his game, and for me you need to have at least one standout attribute to be a successful attacking player in this league, particularly at the top end of the game. Being "decent" at lots of things isn't really enough, if we want to improve.

Maybe he stays here as a squad player, but to be honest given that he looks like a player already completely shorn of confidence and lacking in any intensity I'm not sure playing a bit part role suits him or us. He's also in a position where, if he's not careful, he'll soon be taken over by the likes of Ojo (if he hasn't been already) and behind that there are plenty of youngsters ready to come in and stake a claim.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2016, 08:11:46 pm »
What he needs is a haircut.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2016, 08:18:00 pm »
Still think his passing is incredibly underrated

He has great vision and instead of constantly running down blind alleys like many players with pace do he chooses his moments more wisely

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2016, 08:30:32 pm »
Played alright today. Nice chip for the goal and a some other cute passing. Still not really doing much to convince me he's staying.

Really hope he turns it up a notch on the US tour.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2016, 08:43:43 pm »
True, I suppose we don't. There have been a fair few murmurings that we're perfectly happy to let him go but I guess none of us really know for sure.

Take what you're saying about us holding young players to a high standard as well. I've been guilty in the past with Can who's turned out to be a potential monster. Maybe it's the Sterling effect.

Have to say though, I wouldn't normally class myself as one to completely write off players just because they are performing poorly. I've stuck up plenty in the past for the likes of Lallana, Lovren and Moreno when they were playing like shit and everyone under the sun was ready to throw them under the bus or bin them off because I always though they were better than they were showing (although with Moreno I'm now not so sure...). When it comes to Markovic though, I've just never seen it. I don't get what it is about him that excites people, or gives them hope that he'll go on to be a player for us. He has talent, I'm not saying he doesn't, but I don't see a single standout feature other than pace and I don't think he brings anything to the table that warrants having him in the side.

I feel like a lot of hope stems from the fact that we have Klopp, who everyone seems to think will magically improve every single player he works with, particularly the young ones. Everyone said (and maybe I was guilty of it too...) that he would turn Ibe into a monster when he first came in and Ibe had a couple of good performances. He had all the tools, and clearly there was talent there, surely it was only a matter of time before Klopp turned him into a serious player for us, right? Fast forward 7 months and Ibe is at Bournemouth.

I'm not saying he's rubbish or anything, but I don't think he excels in any area of his game, and for me you need to have at least one standout attribute to be a successful attacking player in this league, particularly at the top end of the game. Being "decent" at lots of things isn't really enough, if we want to improve.

Maybe he stays here as a squad player, but to be honest given that he looks like a player already completely shorn of confidence and lacking in any intensity I'm not sure playing a bit part role suits him or us. He's also in a position where, if he's not careful, he'll soon be taken over by the likes of Ojo (if he hasn't been already) and behind that there are plenty of youngsters ready to come in and stake a claim.

Good post, mate. Agreed with what you're saying here.

For my two cents, I think Markovic is a very cerebral player. He excels at understanding the game, and what is supposed to happen, but he doesn't react instinctively to what his teammates are doing.

I noticed today, he doesn't attack with the ball unless he sees he we have numerical superiority on his side. He switches play, as he should, and then walks back into position, not paying attention to the fact that his teammates haven't switched the play. He is then not available to receive a pass, or has to pass it back to the defenders, and becomes frustrated over it. Conversely, he also gets frustrated when his teammates switch play when they have numerical superiority on his side or don't move into the space he creates for them. He looks brilliant when his teammates react the way he expects them to, but that only happens in moments.   

He also does this with his shot selection. He won't shoot unless he has a clear shot and a good angle. He passes to someone else if he doesn't, or into an area the opposition have vacated expecting one of his teammates to know they should be there. Again, he looks brilliant when he teammates react the way he is expecting, and looks very timid when they don't.

This is why I think he can look head and shoulders above everybody on the pitch in one moment, and look totally clueless the next. He plays the game like it's a simulated model. He knows what is supposed to happen in any given moment, but he doesn't quite know how to react when it doesn't. 

Compare that to Ojo, Kent, Ibe, and Sterling who I think are all more instinctive than cerebral players. They are all still learning that side of the game, but Markovic already has it. What he can't do it is react well to an unexpected moment and play against the percentages. I don't know what is better or worse at the age of 22, but that's my take on him anyway.

My hope is that Klopp can help him learn to play a bit more instinctively.       
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:45:27 pm by wemmick »

Offline Yevgeny

• Kopite
  • Believer.
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2016, 08:49:48 pm »

He has great vision and instead of constantly running down blind alleys like many players with pace do he chooses his moments more wisely

This. People need to stop thinking of him as a speedy Mane type who'll be constantly taking his man on. He's more of a Modric type player who happens to have searing pace. Not saying he's as good as Modric, but I genuinely believe he has the ability to reach that level someday. His touch, passing, vision, movement are all top class. He's clearly a very perceptive, intelligent player. I'd be disappointed to see him loaned out again, but if that's what Jurgen decides then so be it.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2016, 09:10:11 pm »
This. People need to stop thinking of him as a speedy Mane type who'll be constantly taking his man on. He's more of a Modric type player who happens to have searing pace. Not saying he's as good as Modric, but I genuinely believe he has the ability to reach that level someday. His touch, passing, vision, movement are all top class. He's clearly a very perceptive, intelligent player. I'd be disappointed to see him loaned out again, but if that's what Jurgen decides then so be it.

I don't think he'd be loaned out again,this is it for Markovic,he propably has these preseason games and training sessions to convince Klopp that he's good enough to be in the matchday squad for the coming season.
Fortunately we have lots of these games to play before the season starts and against increasingly better opposition too so Klopp & co will get a good picture of what he's capable of. That's how i see it anyway.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2016, 09:12:40 pm »
Good post, mate. Agreed with what you're saying here.

For my two cents, I think Markovic is a very cerebral player. He excels at understanding the game, and what is supposed to happen, but he doesn't react instinctively to what his teammates are doing.

I noticed today, he doesn't attack with the ball unless he sees he we have numerical superiority on his side. He switches play, as he should, and then walks back into position, not paying attention to the fact that his teammates haven't switched the play. He is then not available to receive a pass, or has to pass it back to the defenders, and becomes frustrated over it. Conversely, he also gets frustrated when his teammates switch play when they have numerical superiority on his side or don't move into the space he creates for them. He looks brilliant when his teammates react the way he expects them to, but that only happens in moments.   

He also does this with his shot selection. He won't shoot unless he has a clear shot and a good angle. He passes to someone else if he doesn't, or into an area the opposition have vacated expecting one of his teammates to know they should be there. Again, he looks brilliant when he teammates react the way he is expecting, and looks very timid when they don't.

This is why I think he can look head and shoulders above everybody on the pitch in one moment, and look totally clueless the next. He plays the game like it's a simulated model. He knows what is supposed to happen in any given moment, but he doesn't quite know how to react when it doesn't. 

Compare that to Ojo, Kent, Ibe, and Sterling who I think are all more instinctive than cerebral players. They are all still learning that side of the game, but Markovic already has it. What he can't do it is react well to an unexpected moment and play against the percentages. I don't know what is better or worse at the age of 22, but that's my take on him anyway.

My hope is that Klopp can help him learn to play a bit more instinctively.     

That's an interesting take on him, and I agree with a lot of it. I do think he is clearly an intelligent player, but for me he's just far, far too passive. Like you say, one of the reasons the youngsters have stood out is because of that fearless instinctiveness, and I think you can see in Klopp's post match comments that it's something he values. I don't think they lack for brains either - Sterling wasn't someone I would say is a naturally intelligent player but he was a sponge and he listened and he improved elements of his play and there was a time where he played some very intelligent football for us, particularly centrally back in 13/14. Ibe on the other hand, never seemed able to pick things up in the same way and you saw him making the same mistakes a lot.

I'm not 100% sold that it's just a confidence thing with Markovic either - I think that meekness is just a part of his game. Maybe he's too cerebral - I work with plenty of people who are incredibly intelligent but they faff about and are chronically indecisive and often a bit fucking useless because they are too busy thinking rather than doing sometimes. Ideally you need a happy medium.

For what it's worth - I think I'd rather players who maybe aren't as advanced in terms of how they see the game in their head as I think that's far more coachable, especially if they are young enough and they have some semblance of intelligence. I don't think you can coach that hunger into a player though, that desire that means they want to make things happen - I think you can channel it when a player maybe hasn't necessarily had the right way to display it before, but Markovic just seems fundamentally very laidback. It can work in other leagues but there are very few players in the PL who stand out whilst being so genuinely passive in the way they play, and they have other attributes that cause them to stand out.

As much as anything, I think it will be the youngsters that do it for Markovic. He's still only 22, but when teenagers can come in and offer the same level of talent but also the the fearlessness and intensity that he fundamentally lacks, well, then for me his days are numbered.

Offline Joff123

• Anny Roader
  • They say our days our numbered
    • Twitter
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2016, 09:45:44 pm »
Think with this pre season and US tour he will show his true quality, an untapped rough diamond.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2016, 10:28:29 pm »
Keep him, he will be great for us, i still believe. He has already improved a lot during the pre season.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2016, 11:35:10 pm »
Decent match from Lazar I thought. He's a really clever player with his touches and little one twos, he played a really subtle and really clever disguised pass to Lucas that basically took the whole Wigan midfield out. He does this really clever little things on the pitch that don't get really noticed but are actually quite effective. I really would like him to use his acceleration and speed on the ball a lot more though, there's very few players that can carry the ball with that speed while carrying the ball so close to his feet and his head up, he reminds me of Tomas Rosicky in that regard.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:36:34 am by Lastrador »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2016, 09:58:50 am »
Someone should ingrain to him that shooting, especially from great positions, is good for him.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2016, 10:35:27 am »

He's got a lovely passing technique. Messi does something similar where he just lifts the ball with his foot as opposed to outright kicking it; remember that ball away at Bournemouth he did to Sterling was the same kind of thing.

Offline anoopvk

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2016, 12:34:31 pm »
He's got a lovely passing technique. Messi does something similar where he just lifts the ball with his foot as opposed to outright kicking it; remember that ball away at Bournemouth he did to Sterling was the same kind of thing.
He did it yesterday also. Those kind of passes opens up a whole new range of possibilities against a packed defense.
"We must turn from doubters to believers"

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2016, 12:46:47 pm »
Amazing how much people will allow a glorified kickabout with League One Wigan's second team in preseason colour/inform their opinions on footballers (not just Markovic btw).

These are not informative performances, at all.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2016, 01:33:53 pm »
That's an interesting take on him, and I agree with a lot of it. I do think he is clearly an intelligent player, but for me he's just far, far too passive. Like you say, one of the reasons the youngsters have stood out is because of that fearless instinctiveness, and I think you can see in Klopp's post match comments that it's something he values. I don't think they lack for brains either - Sterling wasn't someone I would say is a naturally intelligent player but he was a sponge and he listened and he improved elements of his play and there was a time where he played some very intelligent football for us, particularly centrally back in 13/14. Ibe on the other hand, never seemed able to pick things up in the same way and you saw him making the same mistakes a lot.

I'm not 100% sold that it's just a confidence thing with Markovic either - I think that meekness is just a part of his game. Maybe he's too cerebral - I work with plenty of people who are incredibly intelligent but they faff about and are chronically indecisive and often a bit fucking useless because they are too busy thinking rather than doing sometimes. Ideally you need a happy medium.

For what it's worth - I think I'd rather players who maybe aren't as advanced in terms of how they see the game in their head as I think that's far more coachable, especially if they are young enough and they have some semblance of intelligence. I don't think you can coach that hunger into a player though, that desire that means they want to make things happen - I think you can channel it when a player maybe hasn't necessarily had the right way to display it before, but Markovic just seems fundamentally very laidback. It can work in other leagues but there are very few players in the PL who stand out whilst being so genuinely passive in the way they play, and they have other attributes that cause them to stand out.

As much as anything, I think it will be the youngsters that do it for Markovic. He's still only 22, but when teenagers can come in and offer the same level of talent but also the the fearlessness and intensity that he fundamentally lacks, well, then for me his days are numbered.

I can certainly see where you are coming from, and that makes sense to me. It will be interesting to see what happens with Markovic and the youngsters over the next few weeks. Hopefully, something that works out best for everyone.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »
Amazing how much people will allow a glorified kickabout with League One Wigan's second team in preseason colour/inform their opinions on footballers (not just Markovic btw).

This kind of attitude will never take off...

Far too sensible.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2016, 01:51:47 pm »

Story of the lad's Liverpool career in a nutshell. Not enough to go on either way as to whether he'll make it here. At least if he's showing skills we know he definitely has those skills, but I think even most of his critics can see he has some exceptional skills the question has always been if he can use them productively in competitive matches.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2016, 02:00:38 pm »

You are showing your experience there. Literally just talked with a friend about how we can't judge anything from pre-season games and in particular not the first few ones when half the side are not even there. It's only natural that the younger players will perform better. This is their chance, while the more experienced players are less enthusiastic to go through another pre-season phase.

The good thing now is Markovic is at least playing for us again. We'll see what happens before the season begins. I reckon it will be very difficult for him to do enough to stay another season.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2016, 06:23:25 am »
Where was the justification of a 20m pricetag? Im not having a go at Lazar but how did the club come to think he was worth 20m. I dont understand.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2016, 06:59:49 am »
Where was the justification of a 20m pricetag? Im not having a go at Lazar but how did the club come to think he was worth 20m. I dont understand.
He was one of the biggest under 20 talents in the world.  Genuinely.

But he's not really played well for two years (for a whole variety of reasons).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2016, 07:23:31 am »

Cracking post.

In addition, taking a player on is also a skill that can and has been precisely analysed, broken down and used to assess players. Reading an opponent's balance, attacking his supporting foot, moving the ball in the direction he's shifted from, and the understanding and effective use of dummies / fakes etc. These are all mental concepts, nothing to do with his pace nor desire. He simply lacks in this area, mentally, from what I've seen. So did mark Gonzalez and downing, for all their pace.

He needs a coach who can take him aside, work on his understanding of dribbling opponents, and play him consistently for lazar to put it into practice. It is simply essential for the position and role he plays, otherwise a middling career awaits. I don't think he's getting that kind of care and attention with us. It's showtime here, not finishing school.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:00:52 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2016, 09:20:14 am »

He needs a coach who can take him aside, work on his understanding of dribbling opponents, and play him consistently for lazar to put it into practice. It is simply essential for the position and role he plays, otherwise a middling career awaits. I don't think he's getting that kind of care and attention with us. It's showtime here, not finishing school.

Plenty of players have used LFC as a finishing school in recent years though, Coutinho/Sterling/Can/Origi/Henderson even Suarez and Sturridge what are they here for if not a 'finishing school'?

The difference between those players and Markovic isnt just that they started to show more/kicked on more or could better deal with it being 'showtime' as you put it, its that they're just better players.

They all arrived in our first team between the ages of 18-20 (Suarez and Sturridge excepted) and all of them showed more ability to perform now and more promise of what they would go on to do than Markovic has.

Markovic has been given as much a chance as those other young players to impress and stake his claim for a first team place, yes he was packed off to Turkey but he still played football there and he still didn't pull up any trees.

You can't give these lads forever when they're not making the most of their opportunities, Ibe has talent, was younger than Markovic and was even more productive in a red shirt than Markovic and he was sold because he didnt look like reaching our standard any time soon.

Lazar will likely follow the same path out of Anfield. If he does it'll be because he simply wasnt good enough rather than it being through us not being a club invested in helping along young players or being too demanding of them.

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2016, 09:33:20 am »
I have to say there have been some top-notch assessments and analyses of his strengths and weaknesses over the last couple of pages.

Nothing much to add other than, thanks.

Whenever I've watched him, I've often found myself thinking 'what is it with this guy?' but people's posts on here have really helped to crystallise things.

His LFC career seems to be hanging by the thinnest of threads. He has to really kick on now if he hopes to stay. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if he did.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."