Author Topic: Lazar Markovic  (Read 145492 times)

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Lazar Markovic
« on: July 14, 2016, 10:57:18 pm »
Couldn't find an open thread on him. So what's the opinions on him? Seems an enigma. Has the traits to fit under Klopp, and could be useful because of his versatility too, but doesn't seem to have that much desire. Talent is undoubtedly there though. I've always liked him but I fear he'll be sold.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
Re: Lazar Markovic
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:06:00 pm »
I'd hope to see him given a chance this season, especially with Klopp's comments on us needed wingers.  It won't be easy as there's several ahead of him and I don't think his laid back attitude helps him but he clearly has talent and ability and I wouldn't back against Klopp bringing the best out of him.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:08:41 pm »
give a PROPER chance. PROPER chance lads. jaysus play him in position and give him a PROPER chance. thats my humble opinion. everyone deserves a chance, a PROPER chance.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:09:18 pm »
give a PROPER chance. PROPER chance lads. jaysus play him in position and give him a PROPER chance. thats my humble opinion. everyone deserves a chance, a PROPER chance.

not sure if serious...

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:11 pm »
not sure if serious...

deadly serious. PROPER serious.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 11:11:28 pm »
Couldn't find an open thread on him. So what's the opinions on him? Seems an enigma. Has the traits to fit under Klopp, and could be useful because of his versatility too, but doesn't seem to have that much desire. Talent is undoubtedly there though. I've always liked him but I fear he'll be sold.

I like Lazar, I think he has desire for sure as he works hard on the pitch but he hasn't found his confidence at Liverpool yet. Lots of youngsters take a season to settle in, Lucas and Henderson being two great examples, but unfortunately for Markovic he was shunted around the team and then dumped on loan with very little time to bed in.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:11:57 pm »
🤔

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:18:40 pm »
He was full of confidence before he came here. Was brilliant for Benfica and remember him making some bold predictions when he signed for Lfc but that seemed to disappear quite quickly under Rodgers. Here's hoping that Klopp can make a believer out of him.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:40:05 pm »
I like Lazar, I think he has desire for sure as he works hard on the pitch but he hasn't found his confidence at Liverpool yet. Lots of youngsters take a season to settle in, Lucas and Henderson being two great examples, but unfortunately for Markovic he was shunted around the team and then dumped on loan with very little time to bed in.

In terms of desire, he hasn't really looked like he's wanted it these few games. I just get the feeling he doesn't wanna play in a physical, cold league

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:53 pm »
he had an unfair/dodgy sending off, when he was sent on to try and rescue the game in a poxy position. he showed plenty of desire to me. is it a case of a commitee purchase, and brendan wasnt impressed .so he was fecked under a bus basically? give him a clean slate under klopp and see what happens. sure feck it his purchase price only buys you average nowadays. remember lads its not your actual money. not even FM fake money. relax.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 11:55:13 pm »
Seems unhappy. If we got a decent bid I would sell. I don't think any PL team would pay decent money for him atm.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 12:03:44 am »
Doesn't have an end product, doesn't do anything at an elite level ...doesn't seem to have a position where he's effective....basically he's a fast lad who can dribble a bit, passes okay and works quite hard defensively.
Can't see him ever being good enough - regardless of if he becomes good enough or not he's not good enough right now to get minutes in the first team.
Suspect he won't be here at the end of the window. 

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 12:04:43 am »
How did he even perform on his loan spell? Seems to have done more harm than good.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 12:12:20 am »
I like him, I'm just not convinced he has a future here.

He's done okay in the friendlies so far but he's being overshadowed by the younger players like Kent and Woodburn. 

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 12:18:11 am »
Just don't think he's got a big enough mentality for Liverpool or Klopp.

That game against Basel when he was actually pretty good sums it up for me. It felt like he had to really gee himself up to perform well, otherwise he'd just end up being pretty anonymous most games. The sort of player who's happiest being off the ball.

There's some talent in there but he's better off going to a smaller league and being a bigger fish.

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 12:35:58 am »
ah lads....yis are being fierce hard on him. give him 6 months under klopp and see what happens. its not fair to judge him on whats gone before. ffs yis were throwing henderson under the wheel at one stage and he turned it around. lallana was getting fecked off too at one stage.

if klopp looks at him preseason and says "nope" well fair enough. i actually was uber excited when he first came to us. i think he will excell under klopp. he is a klopp wet dream type player. seriously dont wake up yet lads, its gonna get much better. i believe he will rip it up.

forget that first season, he is a klopp signing now and start to believe in the chap. at this club? its gonna be great

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 01:23:22 am »
Still think he needs time. That year under Rodgers was shit for the whole team. Would like to see him here at least until Jan. He has had very little time to work with Klopp and many of his teammates.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 01:27:37 am »
Don't sell! Give him this season to sort himself out; I think Klopp can do something with him. His off-ball movement is class. If only he had Mane's dribbling ability...
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 01:32:55 am »
Odd one. Never looked like the player described on here or in the media when we signed him.

Its easy to say give him a chance but he has pretty much done nothing for two years now... There are younger players coming through that deserve the limited game time off the bench & in the cups more.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 01:33:07 am »
Don't sell! Give him this season to sort himself out; I think Klopp can do something with him. His off-ball movement is class. If only he had Mane's dribbling ability...

He needs to be more persistent and aggressive mentally.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 01:37:07 am »
He needs to be more persistent and aggressive mentally.

Hopefully Klopp can drill that into him. I agree, though.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Imortal

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 03:16:04 am »
Very shy mentally in combination with injuries,doesn't bode very well for his future.

The question is Klopp gonna bother with him or sell now when he still may be worth a few million.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 03:26:38 am »
I hope he makes it, just because I have a jersey with his name on the back of it...  :'(

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 06:10:36 am »
Odd one. Never looked like the player described on here or in the media when we signed him.

Its easy to say give him a chance but he has pretty much done nothing for two years now... There are younger players coming through that deserve the limited game time off the bench & in the cups more.
Basically this.

His agent and people around his old club must have been really good at hyping him up.
I'd like to see the decision making process that lead to us paying 20m for him. It didn't make any sense then, and assuredly doesn't make any sense now.

He also just seems to be bad at anticipating the movements of the opposition defenders, and is too predictable with his own movement. This puts puts him in a position where he often gets pressured to make the obvious pass or protect the ball with his body, instead of doing something unexpected or going past a player. That coupled with a lack of confidence and an inability to adapt and react on the spot makes him an ineffective player. He has pace and technique, but can't put them to good use because of the above.

I'd move him on, as it just seems like he doesn't have the football brain to make it.
Bastion of invincibility

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 10:26:27 am »
Can't really say much about his quality. Which, after two years at the club, is a bad thing. I kind of wish we kept him and gave him a role in the first team squad. Not likely though and if we can't offer that, we should sell. Tough, but that's how it is.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:57 am »
Give him a season under Klopp. His value has already plummeted so I don't see what we lose financially by doing so. There is a player there, and hopefully Klopp can bring it out of him.

Plus him and Grujic both being from Serbia might help them both settle in a bit better.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 10:30:48 am »
Give him a season under Klopp. His value has already plummeted so I don't see what we lose financially by doing so. There is a player there, and hopefully Klopp can bring it out of him.

Plus him and Grujic both being from Serbia might help them both settle in a bit better.

Where's he getting the games? He's got 9 players ahead of him for the front four positions.

Sell him, loan Ojo, and buy someone good.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 10:34:35 am »
Where's he getting the games? He's got 9 players ahead of him for the front four positions.

Sell him, loan Ojo, and buy someone good.

We won't be signing someone else for that position this summer, IMO.

If he doesn't perform well enough in training then he won't get minutes, no issues, we lose very little. If he performs in training, gets minutes and takes his chance then happy days, a position we don't need to spend on next summer.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
Adds pace to the front 4 positions, something that only really Mane & Origi can also bring. I think there is a role for him this season & he will get some game time, I hope & think it's possible that he develops well under Klopp. He's looked promising on the first to friendlies with the obvious caveats

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 10:39:18 am »
Adds pace to the front 4 positions, something that only really Mane & Origi can also bring. I think there is a role for him this season & he will get some game time, I hope & think it's possible that he develops well under Klopp
Ojo is three years younger, home grown, and has shown more flashes of brilliance in a few games than Markovic did across a whole season.

I know he played as an advanced wing-back in some games, but he really did stink the place out a lot wherever he was playing. There's a reason he regularly got hooked at half-time and it wasn't just Rodgers being a dick as people like to pretend. In crucial games chasing the top four against Southampton and Arsenal, as well as in the cup semi-final, he was probably the worst player on the pitch.

Admittedly he looked a bit more at home off a striker but, Hugo Lloris' paper hands aside, he never provided any real threat.

Just feel like people want this lad to do well over others because he's got long hair and a cool name. We can't afford passengers.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 10:53:46 am »
I don't really know what to make of Markovic because I never saw him play at Benfica

I also only recall him playing for us on a handful of occasions

And I never watched him when he went on loan. To be honest, I don't even know where he went on loan. Somewhere in Turkey was it?

I do know we spent 20 odd million on him though.

As I've said before, if there were prizes for pissing money away then we'd win the lot

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Sibierski Nazário

• Extremely precious about CR7
  • Kopite
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 10:56:55 am »
He's a massive flop lets not beat around the bush.

Never been convinced by this bloke don't like his body language either he don't exactly bring out confidence when you watch him.
Take mane on the other hand he just loves taking on players chest puffed out he has that arrogance you want e.t.c.
He just so fucking passive it's frustrating. He doesn't have it in my opinion, he's the kind of player who will go into hiding  and for me that's not how you build a successful team.

We've been rinsed just like Porto and Benfica do to so many other clubs selling on their flavor of the season. 

Everyone is convinced he just needs a chance e.t.c klopp will get the best out of him, sounds like the talk we use to hear about Borini or some other dud that has flopped so hard we need rehabilitate for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:02:42 am by Sibierski Nazário »
Greatzman >3
AUbamumyingyang >3

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:37 am »
Ojo is three years younger, home grown, and has shown more flashes of brilliance in a few games than Markovic did across a whole season.

I know he played as an advanced wing-back in some games, but he really did stink the place out a lot wherever he was playing. There's a reason he regularly got hooked at half-time and it wasn't just Rodgers being a dick as people like to pretend. In crucial games chasing the top four against Southampton and Arsenal, as well as in the cup semi-final, he was probably the worst player on the pitch.

Admittedly he looked a bit more at home off a striker but, Hugo Lloris' paper hands aside, he never provided any real threat.

Just feel like people want this lad to do well over others because he's got long hair and a cool name. We can't afford passengers.

Most of this just flat out isn't true. He played well consistently as a wingback and didn't get regularly hooked at half-time (the one time he did he wasn't even having that bad a game). He had some poor games in his first couple of months but he never should have been thrown into the starting line-up like he was, and he probably wouldn't have been if we'd got our other transfer dealings right.

You say people only want him to do well because of his hair and name (really?), but it seems you made your mind up about him a long time ago and are now pretending all of his performances were woeful to justify that opinion.

I think he has some really good attributes but he looked very shy when he arrived and would generally pass off responsibility to others. He really needed to be used as an impact sub, given some confidence by the manager and slowly worked into the team like youngsters often are. Unfortunately between our poor squad that season and some troublesome internal politics he was never really given an opportunity to settle and build his confidence.

He's 22 now but the last couple of years have possibly done more harm than good, personally for his pace and movement I'd keep him around and try to build his confidence back up. The only reason concern is that Ojo and Kent have also earned their place in the first team and it'll be a struggle to give all three of them games.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 11:12:37 am »
Keep him, we wouldn't replace him so might as well give the kid a chance.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 11:26:46 am »
Most of this just flat out isn't true. He played well consistently as a wingback and didn't get regularly hooked at half-time (the one time he did he wasn't even having that bad a game). He had some poor games in his first couple of months but he never should have been thrown into the starting line-up like he was, and he probably wouldn't have been if we'd got our other transfer dealings right.

You say people only want him to do well because of his hair and name (really?), but it seems you made your mind up about him a long time ago and are now pretending all of his performances were woeful to justify that opinion.

I specifically remember him getting hooked at half time on at least three occasions: Arsenal away when he bottled a sitter and played so timidly in his favoured position, Southampton away when we fluked a win through a Coutinho screamer and he got ran ragged at left wing-back, and the Villa cup semi-final when he looked like a headless chicken at right wing-back. There may well have been other times; he got subbed more often than not when he started, frankly because he just wasn't very good.

I honestly can barely remember him in the first couple of months because he was completely anonymous on the right flank in Rodgers' failed 4-2-3-1 system. So I certainly didn't make up my mind on him early or a long time ago. Ultimately I just can't be bothered with attacking players who rarely show any signs of grabbing a game by the scruff of its neck. They're better off elsewhere.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 11:32:46 am »

I specifically remember him getting hooked at half time on at least three occasions: Arsenal away when he bottled a sitter and played so timidly in his favoured position, Southampton away when we fluked a win through a Coutinho screamer and he got ran ragged at left wing-back, and the Villa cup semi-final when he looked like a headless chicken at right wing-back. There may well have been other times; he got subbed more often than not when he started, frankly because he just wasn't very good.

I honestly can barely remember him in the first couple of months because he was completely anonymous on the right flank in Rodgers' failed 4-2-3-1 system. So I certainly didn't make up my mind on him early or a long time ago. Ultimately I just can't be bothered with attacking players who rarely show any signs of grabbing a game by the scruff of its neck. They're better off elsewhere.

He went through a stage at wing back of being consistently one of our better players, people got very excited about him for a short period, it went wrong later in the season but he was clearly lacking confidence & Rodgers didn't trust him so  I think you're being massively harsh. There is talent there & you might as well see if Klopp can bring it out, if he can't then fine move him on, but you're not going to lose any more money in 6 months to a year than you would now, so may as well give him a go. It's up to Lazar to prove himself.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 11:36:46 am »
On the basis of what he has shown in England so far, I would say he has no future at Liverpool.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 11:37:57 am »
He went through a stage a wing back of being consistently one of our better players, I think you're being massively harsh. There is talent there & you might as well see if Klopp can bring it out, if he can't then fine move him on, but you're not going to lose any more money in 6 months to a year than you would now, so may as well give him a go. It's up to Lazar to prove himself.
I think one of the reasons he was played at wingback (and played well) was because he couldn’t or didn’t know how to use his pace when played further forward when he didn’t have space and everything is tighter.

It’s like the arguments to play Moreno or Glen Johnson further forward because they looked so good going forward. The reason they look so good is because the wide forwards tuck in and the have acres of space to run into, that worked perfectly for Markovic.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 11:37:58 am »
On the basis of what he has shown in England so far, I would say he has no future at Liverpool.

Well it would be silly to base such a decision solely on a young players first and only season in England, for a failing side, wouldn't it?

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 11:41:07 am »
Well it would be silly to base such a decision solely on a young players first and only season in England, for a failing side, wouldn't it?
I didn't follow him elsewhere, just commenting on what I have seen. Nothing to suggest at all that he has a future. Ibe had more chance of staying, based on what he did, and we sold him.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!