Author Topic: Dejan Lovren  (Read 501392 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: Dejan Lovren signs new long-term Liverpool contract
« Reply #3000 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:42 am »
It's a shame for Dejan, he had a great tournament and Croatia didn't deserve that scoreline, even if France were just a bit more clinical (and lucky) in a few moments. Its amazing how many fans are taking the piss when their own clubs/countries have never even played in a big final! Twitter/FB has taken simple banter between rivals and turned it into a shitfest for knobs.

They way some have posted on here it's as if the 4-1 Spurs loss was yesterday and the anger hasn't subsided yet. Get over it, yes he was shite that day and probably will always be prone to the odd disaster performance, but the fact remains he has improved massively alongside an actual world-class CB here. Those 2 will almost certainly be our 1st choice CB pairing this season unless we uncover another gem that we can't turn down.

Until that happens, Dejan gets all the support from me (as do they all), albeit he will probably still get stick if and when he deserves it!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3001 on: July 16, 2018, 10:20:45 am »
I back stats up with watching both games and to be honest I didn't see a defensively solid performance in either game. Did you ?

Lovren was magnificent in the Champions League final. Genuinely one of the best individual performances you're likely to see from a defender. If you judge him off conceding from two goalkeeping howlers and an overhead kick, as your previous post alludes to, then you obviously have an agenda.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #3002 on: July 16, 2018, 10:29:47 am »
It is called difference of opinion.

I am not blaming Lovren for who he is.

Put VVD and Hyypia in any system and they would play great no matter the opposition. Lovren isn't at that level.

Sami Hyypiä is my second-favorite Finnish footballer of all time and the one who had the best career in my opinion.
Probably the best centreback for Liverpool I have watched (starting in late 80's) until VVD.
Yet, as I have said before, he would often have looked helpless in the Rodgers team or early Klopp team, being isolated high or wide in space against pacy attackers. It happened at times with Finland, even while trying to defend deep, and it wasn't pretty. Systems and fit matter A LOT for central defenders. The Houllier and Rafa systems were perfect for Sami to shine in.

And back to the thread, I don't see Lovren as starting centreback being a reason why Liverpool couldn't win trophies.
(intentional double negative)
One of only three players to feature both in CL and WC finals. Even if he might not be one of the worlds' very best, it is important to believe you are in order to compete at the highest level. I like his temperament.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3003 on: July 16, 2018, 10:57:45 am »
Regarding 'Dejan' v 'Derek', good ole Wiki. Not a "Degsy" in sight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejan

There might have been a small edit at the bottom...........  :-X

(Lovren was not in the list originally - he fucking well is now!!!)

Dejan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
For the Romanian village, see Moraviţa.
Dejan
Pronunciation   [dějan]
Gender   Male
Origin
Word/name   Slavic
Region of origin   Balkans
Other names
Variant form(s)   Dejana (f.)
Related names   Desa, Desislav, Desimir
Dejan (Cyrillic: Дејан) is a South Slavic masculine given name, derived from the Old Slavic word dejati, meaning "action; to act, to do".[citation needed] It is possible that the name is a diminutive of dithematic Desimir or Desislav, with des meaning "to happen".[citation needed] It is interesting that, although it is considered old Slavic name, some claim name Dejan comes from old Latin word Deus or Dea which mean God or Godly. It is very common in Serbia and Macedonia, and also common in Bulgaria, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, and Slovenia.

The given name Dejan and the surname Dejanović is unusually widespread in the Serbo-Croatian linguistical area, and it is first mentioned in the mid-14th century, in Serbia.[1] Dejan (fl. 1346–ca. 1366) was a Serbian magnate in the Serbian Empire. The form Dejaniš is also found in the 14th century.[1] According to medieval texts, Dejan was widespread in Serbian lands,[2] and it is frequent in Serbian epic poetry.[3][4] The name is among the most common in Serbia: It was the fifth most given name in the period of 1961–1970 (at 5,61%[5]); first in 1971–1980; ninth in 1981–1990.[6]

Notable people
Dejan (fl. 1346-66), Serbian magnate
Dejan Bodiroga, Serbian basketball player
Dejan Damjanović, Montenegrin football player
Dejan Dimitrovski, Macedonian footballer
Dejan Gluščević (born 1967), Serbian footballer
Dejan Kelhar, Slovenian football player
Dejan Lovren, Croatian football player
Dejan Medaković (1922–2008), a Serbian writer, historian, and professor
Dejan Savićević, Montenegrin football player
Dejan Stanković, Serbian football player
Dejan Stefanović, Serbian football player
Dejan Stojanović, Serbian poet, writer, essayist, philosopher, businessman, and former journalist.
Dejan Tomašević, Serbian basketball player
Dejan Lovren, Croation football player, most noted for being one of only three players in the 2018 World Cup Final to also have appeared in the European Champions League Final a few weeks earlier. Colossus of a defender for the mighty Liverpool FC and not good enough to make Al555's Top 5, which is bound to be a source of great disappointment to the godlike Dejan. We are confident that Dejan will overcome this massive setback.....and break into Al555's Top 5 next season.....

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:59:38 am by 24/7 »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3004 on: July 16, 2018, 10:59:21 am »

;D

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3005 on: July 16, 2018, 10:59:54 am »

*Croatian and he was already in the list. Tut tut. ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3006 on: July 16, 2018, 11:08:01 am »
*Croatian and he was already in the list. Tut tut. ;D
You have to be quick on Wiki before they take it down :lmao
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:59:37 pm by 24/7 »

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #3007 on: July 16, 2018, 11:08:34 am »
I was very happy for him and he has had some howlers but has been extremely solid the past few months. Hope he builds and has his best season ever!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3008 on: July 16, 2018, 12:28:50 pm »
I think he's great and his partnership with VVD will be even better this season.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3009 on: July 16, 2018, 02:43:10 pm »

(
Dejan Lovren, Croation football player, most noted for being one of only three players in the 2018 World Cup Final to also have appeared in the European Champions League Final a few weeks earlier. Colossus of a defender for the mighty Liverpool FC and not good enough to make Al555's Top 5, which is bound to be a source of great disappointment to the godlike Dejan. We are confident that Dejan will overcome this massive setback.....and break into Al555's Top 5 next season.....

:lmao
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #3010 on: July 16, 2018, 06:48:12 pm »
He just posted this from the homecoming parade in Zagreb, guess which flag turned up. ;D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlS_PWBlNaz/?taken-by=dejanlovren06

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3011 on: July 16, 2018, 07:00:21 pm »
So I had the pleasure of the team bus passing a meter or so away from me, of course Dejan was the one closest to the crowd, beating his chest, shouting and signing every single item thrown at him (also making sure the right person received it when he threw it back), it wasn't easy restraining myself from jumping onto the bus to hug him  ;D

Love the guy so much, can't wait for the next season with him and VVD from the start

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #3012 on: July 16, 2018, 07:16:47 pm »
So I had the pleasure of the team bus passing a meter or so away from me, of course Dejan was the one closest to the crowd, beating his chest, shouting and signing every single item thrown at him (also making sure the right person received it when he threw it back), it wasn't easy restraining myself from jumping onto the bus to hug him  ;D

Love the guy so much, can't wait for the next season with him and VVD from the start

So was that you with the LFC flag? :)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3013 on: July 16, 2018, 07:17:35 pm »
great seeing them get such a homecoming. They deserve the adulation for a fantastic tournament  8)

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3014 on: July 16, 2018, 09:14:42 pm »
So was that you with the LFC flag? :)

Unfortunately no, but fair play to them, pretty sure they're the reason he put that video on Instagram :)

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #3015 on: July 17, 2018, 07:44:51 pm »
Lovren was magnificent in the Champions League final.
He can be magnificent, he can be a liability.

For me he is more than good enough in a PL campaign, just a little short of what is required at the very top.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3016 on: July 17, 2018, 07:55:59 pm »
He can be magnificent, he can be a liability.

For me he is more than good enough in a PL campaign, just a little short of what is required at the very top.

but he's show he can play at the very top in the past few months alone, so I don't get that shout.

Is he the best around, no - but there are only really a few truly elite central defenders in this league (and we have one). But Lovren is a very good defender.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3017 on: July 17, 2018, 11:34:09 pm »
Wow, some absolute bollocks of the lowest order between his Semi & Final appearances to underplay his achievements. Just Wow!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3018 on: July 17, 2018, 11:35:54 pm »
Yup. He has had a good few months. Hope he will shut his mouth though. This 'I am the best defender in the World' shit is not helping at all. Everybody is now hoping he will make a mistake to let Mbappe in to score a goal.

Except he never said he was the best defender in the world. He said he was "one of the best", which is a lot different. For me, if he wasn't in the mix, he should be now after being integral to sides reaching the CL Final & World Cup Final. Which is exactly what he said and I agree with him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3019 on: July 18, 2018, 01:07:09 am »
City won the league at a canter with Ottamendi and Stones, and both of those can be liabilities just like Dejan can, who had 3,4 poor performancea in the 60 some.matches he.played.

Some just cant stop talking out of their arses and yes I am saying that neither Ottamendi or Stones are better than Lovren

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #3020 on: July 18, 2018, 01:36:29 pm »
City won the league at a canter with Ottamendi and Stones, and both of those can be liabilities just like Dejan can, who had 3,4 poor performancea in the 60 some.matches he.played.

Some just cant stop talking out of their arses and yes I am saying that neither Ottamendi or Stones are better than Lovren

The problem is in every other position city probably had some of the best players league.

Lovren could be in a similar positon to Karius - when he is not making silly mistake he looks decent but you know that he has them in him.

Definitely useful over a season but if we can improve on him let's do so.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3021 on: July 18, 2018, 01:40:08 pm »
The problem is in every other position city probably had some of the best players league.

Lovren could be in a similar positon to Karius - when he is not making silly mistake he looks decent but you know that he has them in him.

Same as every player then.

Lovren is in the best form of his Liverpool career and has formed a great partnership with VVD at the back, there is no need for us to look to improve on him.  And doing so really wouldn't be as straightforward as some here seem to think it would be.

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #3022 on: July 18, 2018, 01:45:14 pm »

Could be in a similar position to Cahill too, who also looked shocking at times. But he's also stayed in the good graces of several managers who rated him enough to give in a spot in the starting eleven. Dejan is through and through a player built on confidence, and it's safe to say he hasn't felt very confident the last two years at least. Now though, coming off a good tournament and getting some deserved recognition, I'm excited to see how he plays this season.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #3023 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:48 pm »
Same as every player then.

Lovren is in the best form of his Liverpool career and has formed a great partnership with VVD at the back, there is no need for us to look to improve on him.  And doing so really wouldn't be as straightforward as some here seem to think it would be.

Reallly?!

We went into the last game of season needing a win to guarantee, before we signed VVD we continued to look fragile at the back and it is not even to say he Lovren was holding us together.

Think what happened when VVD came in, now imagine VVD and a even better partner and start to imagine the possibilities.

The only way I don't see a need for replacement is if we believe that Gomz is ready to challenge or replace him.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3024 on: July 18, 2018, 02:44:53 pm »
Reallly?!

We went into the last game of season needing a win to guarantee, before we signed VVD we continued to look fragile at the back and it is not even to say he Lovren was holding us together.

Think what happened when VVD came in, now imagine VVD and a even better partner and start to imagine the possibilities.

The only way I don't see a need for replacement is if we believe that Gomz is ready to challenge or replace him.

Yes, really.

We've greatly improved the protection our defence will get this season by signing Fabinho, we appear to be close to signing a (hopefully) world class goalkeeper.  I'm imagining the possibilities of the impressive partnership that VVD and Lovren formed last season, as well as our two excellent young full-backs, continuing to develop and improve further with greater quality around them.

If Gomez and Matip can make a real challenge for starting places themselves then we'll be in great shape.  But I have no reservations whatsoever about continuing with VVD and Lovren at centre back.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:46:35 pm by Djimi Smicer34 »

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #3025 on: July 18, 2018, 02:54:55 pm »
Yes, really.

We've greatly improved the protection our defence will get this season by signing Fabinho, we appear to be close to signing a (hopefully) world class goalkeeper.  I'm imagining the possibilities of the impressive partnership that VVD and Lovren formed last season, as well as our two excellent young full-backs, continuing to develop and improve further with greater quality around them.

If Gomez and Matip can make a real challenge for starting places themselves then we'll be in great shape.  But I have no reservations whatsoever about continuing with VVD and Lovren at centre back.

Fair enough.

One thing to note though, as things currently stand we are in one of the strongest positions we have ever been, in terms of finances and attraction, if we don't take the opportunity we will only have ourselves to blame.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3026 on: July 18, 2018, 03:01:02 pm »
Fair enough.

One thing to note though, as things currently stand we are in one of the strongest positions we have ever been, in terms of finances and attraction, if we don't take the opportunity we will only have ourselves to blame.

We're about to spend £60m+ on a goalkeeper and are still hopeful of signing Fekir, having already brought in Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri. 

That's more than enough evidence to suggest we're taking our opportunity IMO. 

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #3027 on: July 18, 2018, 03:16:57 pm »
Apart from his tendency to have a nightmare game in every 20 or 30 he plays how about we give our CL and World Cup Finalist a break?

He need to improve and will do so under Klopp, but he really isn't as far away from the finished product as many think.

On a human side, he seems like a good lad as well. Right mix of hardness and decency.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3028 on: July 18, 2018, 03:26:05 pm »
I'm thinking it could get me banned but there have been 8 posts today that only really deserved to be responded to with "fuck you".  Another one is on this page.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #3029 on: July 18, 2018, 03:55:54 pm »
Reallly?!

The bolded part is not true. Our defense improved after Spurs away and stayed great after VVD arrived. Another improvement was the GK performances after Karius got the gig permanently (about the same time as VVDs arrival).

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #3030 on: July 18, 2018, 04:00:59 pm »
The bolded part is not true. Our defense improved after Spurs away and stayed great after VVD arrived. Another improvement was the GK performances after Karius got the gig permanently (about the same time as VVDs arrival).

Don't let facts get in the way of a good witch hunt.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #3031 on: July 18, 2018, 05:03:01 pm »

Forgive me being thick but
are you suggesting VVD made hardly any difference to the goal keeping stat? This is what I read, given that 0.6 percent is neglible.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:04:59 pm by sempi »

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #3032 on: July 18, 2018, 05:34:33 pm »
Forgive me being thick but
are you suggesting VVD made hardly any difference to the goal keeping stat? This is what I read, given that 0.6 percent is neglible.
The save% numbers should read 58%, 60% and 75% btw. A very, very significant increase in the last group of games. These numbers only count the shots we faced that ended up on target and how often our GKs saved those. It's the shots that our defenders failed to deal with.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #3033 on: July 18, 2018, 06:47:36 pm »
The save% numbers should read 58%, 60% and 75% btw. A very, very significant increase in the last group of games. These numbers only count the shots we faced that ended up on target and how often our GKs saved those. It's the shots that our defenders failed to deal with.
Thank you, I can see the progress, that was made according to the stats.
I thought Lovren's WC was excellent but the refs allowed him a lot of licence for quite a few fouls.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3034 on: July 18, 2018, 07:17:55 pm »

These stats don't mean much without context. We mostly played midtable teams and below during that interim period, the two exceptions being a home game against Chelsea, who started with a five-man defence and a midfield of Kante, Drinkwater and Bakayoko and still scored, and Arsenal, who scored three against us. Van Dijk also didn't start in the game when Man City scored three against us in January. And I don't think anyone could have watched games before and after he joined and not see the difference in the defence.

None of that's a gripe against Lovren by the way, I thought he had a fantastic second half of the season. I think the difference may not even be down to Van Dijk as much as getting the chance to build a defensive relationship with a regular centre back partner.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:20:02 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #3035 on: July 18, 2018, 08:32:07 pm »
These stats don't mean much without context. We mostly played midtable teams and below during that interim period, the two exceptions being a home game against Chelsea, who started with a five-man defence and a midfield of Kante, Drinkwater and Bakayoko and still scored, and Arsenal, who scored three against us. Van Dijk also didn't start in the game when Man City scored three against us in January. And I don't think anyone could have watched games before and after he joined and not see the difference in the defence.

None of that's a gripe against Lovren by the way, I thought he had a fantastic second half of the season. I think the difference may not even be down to Van Dijk as much as getting the chance to build a defensive relationship with a regular centre back partner.

1st group of games (9) we played Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and Spurs among top 6 teams.
2nd group (12) we played Chelsea, Arsenal and  Man City + the derby.
3rd group (15) we played Spurs, Man Utd and Chelsea + the derby.

Here's the list of fixtures ;

Here's a 6 game rolling average of goals conceded and shots on target conceded with the Spurs game and VVDs entrance marked ;

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3036 on: July 18, 2018, 09:21:45 pm »
1st group of games (9) we played Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and Spurs among top 6 teams.
2nd group (12) we played Chelsea, Arsenal and  Man City + the derby.
3rd group (15) we played Spurs, Man Utd and Chelsea + the derby.

Here's the list of fixtures ;

Here's a 6 game rolling average of goals conceded and shots on target conceded with the Spurs game and VVDs entrance marked ;

It goes to show how quick people are to jump in and make points/accusations/rumours/arguments depending on the topic to suit their narrative rather than going and actually verifying if they're making sense/getting closer to the truth.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3037 on: July 28, 2018, 08:29:43 pm »
Degsy has gone shaven his head the mad loon

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3038 on: July 28, 2018, 08:32:30 pm »
Degsy has gone shaven his head the mad loon

dejanlovren06
Hair off, ROCK ON @rockfilius 🤘🏻

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlyP27GhcQY/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=sntdgt9csyij

;D

Looks good, although I wonder what Mo had to say about it? ;D

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3039 on: July 28, 2018, 08:36:43 pm »
ha! He looks great  ;D

Loved how he laid into some pricks (and actually a LFC fan account too) on Instagram the other day about Loris too. He's a good lad is Degs.