Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 330829 times)

Helly

Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 5, 2009, 08:14:06 pm »
Coming over for 3 weeks at the end of August, should be there about the same time as Col arrives.  I'm definately going to do a drive to Brisbane and another to Melbourne, thinking of stopping for a night in Coff's Harbour on my way to Brisbane, not decided where I will split my trip to Melbourne yet.  Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!  First questions are:-

Any genius bargain car hire tips?

Do they take electron cards in plenty of places?

Is the weather going to be shite?

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 5, 2009, 09:54:19 pm »

In melbourne, probably yes.

Brisbane is usually always fairly warm.

Sydney in August is just starting to heat up again, but can still be pretty cold. (12-17 degrees sometimes.)

Coffs Harbour is a great little town, I used to live there for a while. Plus its a nice drive up from Sydney.

A good place to hire a car is called "No Birds" they only have Toyota Corolla's but its fairly cheap.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Helly

« Reply #42 on: February 5, 2009, 10:37:15 pm »
In melbourne, probably yes.

Brisbane is usually always fairly warm.

Sydney in August is just starting to heat up again, but can still be pretty cold. (12-17 degrees sometimes.)

Coffs Harbour is a great little town, I used to live there for a while. Plus its a nice drive up from Sydney.

A good place to hire a car is called "No Birds" they only have Toyota Corolla's but its fairly cheap.

That No Birds place is pretty cheap, bit of a ballache it not being at the airport and having to get a bus to kings cross but looking at the price I think its going to be worth it.  Have you hired from them yourself?

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: February 5, 2009, 10:48:34 pm »
New Zealand pisses all over Oz

I suppose that's why half of Kiwiland lives in Aus.
Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 5, 2009, 11:07:40 pm »
No I never have, I'm only 21 and have a shocking driving record so I cant hire a car for a while. I have friends and family who have hired from them though and they say its pretty good.

Plus if you play your cards right you might be able to pick up a transvestite hooker as well from out the front.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

royhendo

« Reply #45 on: February 5, 2009, 11:47:34 pm »
We want to emigrate. This was me in 2000... wish we wuz there!

My wife was "workin as a waitress in a cock-tail baa-ar..." in Sydney at the time.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #46 on: February 6, 2009, 12:57:44 am »
Ahh the red center ...

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #47 on: February 6, 2009, 12:59:27 am »
I suppose that's why half of Kiwiland lives in Aus.
Just going from my experience, live and travelled in oz for a year, now emigrated to nz and really do prefer it, depends what you are after i suppose.

if you want unbearable mars like temps, killer spiders , sharks,crocodiles, pissed up brits in every bar you go to, Oz is the place.

If you want to bring your kids up in a more laid back, friendlier, safer, still good weather but not stupidly hot place, nz is for you.

No freebies here though, andsky sport nz is toilet
« Last Edit: February 6, 2009, 01:02:42 am by Walshy7 »
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: February 6, 2009, 01:01:07 am »
Just going from my experience, live and travelled in oz for a year, now emigrated to nz and really do prefer it, depends what you are after i suppose.

Can't really argue cos i haven't been to NZ, but it sure does look pretty. Just to cold.
Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: February 6, 2009, 05:46:58 am »

if you want unbearable mars like temps, killer spiders , sharks,crocodiles, pissed up brits in every bar you go to, Oz is the place.

If you want to bring your kids up in a more laid back, friendlier, safer, still good weather but not stupidly hot place, nz is for you.

No freebies here though, andsky sport nz is toilet

NZ is far more European in terms of temperature, but is a lot more laid back like you say. There are colder places in Aus, but you have to put up with hot temps whereever you are for at least 6 weeks of the year in Australia.

In other words I agree NZ is a great place to live - couldn't stand it from the sports angle though. I hate rugby, absolutely loath it - plus there is the fact as an Aussie I would get a stupidly huge amount of stick from the Kiwis for whatever reason.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #50 on: February 6, 2009, 05:54:48 am »
....it is insanely hot, even by Australian standards, out here at the moment. I'm going through 2 shirts a day just from sweat, and I'm indoors most of the time. Been 40 C plus in Wagga for much of the last 2 weeks, just got into Bathurst the other day, and though its slightly cooler in terms of temperature, the humidity is killing me.

im sydney based, but travel loads with work.. was in atherto lat week.. only 33 c but pissing down.. humidity was a killer.. was in Alice springs on monday-tuesday and the dryness of the heat there was unbearable.. im in Sydney now and its sposed to be 44C out our way.... going for a swim in aminute:D
JFT 96

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 6, 2009, 05:58:53 am »
im sydney based, but travel loads with work.. was in atherto lat week.. only 33 c but pissing down.. humidity was a killer.. was in Alice springs on monday-tuesday and the dryness of the heat there was unbearable.. im in Sydney now and its sposed to be 44C out our way.... going for a swim in aminute:D

In the ocean, I presume? Would be awesome to have a seabreeze where we are, but unfortunately the ocean wind doesn't carry 250 kms or so inland.

Cool change coming Sunday/Monday apparently. I actually much prefer the dry heat to the humid heat - can put up with 50 C temps and dry, but not 35 C temps and humid.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #52 on: February 6, 2009, 06:04:38 am »
In the ocean, I presume? Would be awesome to have a seabreeze where we are, but unfortunately the ocean wind doesn't carry 250 kms or so inland.

Cool change coming Sunday/Monday apparently. I actually much prefer the dry heat to the humid heat - can put up with 50 C temps and dry, but not 35 C temps and humid.
nah m8 in me pool in the back yard...: ;D

you wagga based??? i was there  a few mths ago doing some work on the myers and big W.... got to tell ya.. even a parachute wouldnt open after 9 pm there.. place is dead...
JFT 96

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 6, 2009, 06:08:26 am »
nah old mucker in me pool in the back yard...: ;D

you wagga based??? i was there  a few mths ago doing some work on the myers and big W.... got to tell ya.. even a parachute wouldnt open after 9 pm there.. place is dead...

Spend most of my year in Bathurst, but most of the family is in Wagga, so head down there on hols for 6 weeks or so annually. Bathurst is actually a far better country town - by comparison Wagga is indeed a hole. to be honest I couldn't live anywhere else but the country - have lived at various times in Sydney and Melbourne, but its the country life for me.

Only thing Wagga has going for it is the mighty Murrumbidgee, best swimming river in the country if you ask me. At this time of year it is sensational to swim in - only thing better is the ocean itself.

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: February 6, 2009, 06:13:32 am »
Lived with a Kiwi years ago when i was backpacking, everything was "Bro" "Cool Bananas" and "choice"+ he kept introducing me as his Irish mate, Slighty annoying.  But fuck me do they love Rugby.

Lived with a Kiwi in Dublin, i woke up one morning and he was sat in his Kiwi top, boxers, scarf, hat and socks just to watch the highlights. I asked him was he missing home like? his missus jumped in yeah can't stand it here, New Zealand has got to be the best place on earth!! oh are you going back there to live? nah we will head to Melbourne??? is that North or South Island??

Helly

« Reply #55 on: February 6, 2009, 08:48:40 am »
No I never have, I'm only 21 and have a shocking driving record so I cant hire a car for a while. I have friends and family who have hired from them though and they say its pretty good.

Plus if you play your cards right you might be able to pick up a transvestite hooker as well from out the front.

Thanks, bit scary that I have to then drive across Sydney for my first bit of driving but I'm brave and those prices do seem incredibly cheap!

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #56 on: February 6, 2009, 08:52:10 am »
Coming over for 3 weeks at the end of August, should be there about the same time as Col arrives.  I'm definately going to do a drive to Brisbane and another to Melbourne, thinking of stopping for a night in Coff's Harbour on my way to Brisbane, not decided where I will split my trip to Melbourne yet.  Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!  First questions are:-

make sure you give us a shout missus as soon as you know your itinery
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Helly

« Reply #57 on: February 6, 2009, 09:01:44 am »
make sure you give us a shout missus as soon as you know your itinery

PM sent :-*

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #58 on: February 6, 2009, 09:37:22 am »

Helly.. ALL car hire firms require a CREDIT card, not just eftpos/debit...
we hire cars regularly and we swap between, europcar, budget and red spot..
they will all quote you around $32-38 per day car hire.. the hidden extras are..insurance cover.. the basic package  only covers you for damage AFTER $3000..  the reduced package  costs  an extra approx  $35 per day and excess is reduced to approx $500..and the  no excess normally costs about $55 per day extra...

we booked a car the other week wiht euro.. got to coolangatta airport to find they had a "managers special" no excess unlimited Ks.. on a 3 day booking saved us over $200..  so basically what im saying is shop around..

oh and another thing.. you have to pay an extra tax on ANYTING you get at the airport..  so if you make ya way into town somewhere and get to a local agent.. you save  the tax..{normally 10% or there abouts)
JFT 96

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #59 on: February 6, 2009, 10:04:39 am »
NZ is far more European in terms of temperature, but is a lot more laid back like you say. There are colder places in Aus, but you have to put up with hot temps whereever you are for at least 6 weeks of the year in Australia.

In other words I agree NZ is a great place to live - couldn't stand it from the sports angle though. I hate rugby, absolutely loath it - plus there is the fact as an Aussie I would get a stupidly huge amount of stick from the Kiwis for whatever reason.
28 degrees here at the moment in Tauranga, been that way since i got here and likely to be until around march, down to about 12 in winter so pretty happy with that, warmer than england but not killer heat.

Anyway, love Aus as well, only messing, will be over next year for hols at Xmas, its like my new Tenerife now!! just over the ditch.
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Helly

« Reply #60 on: February 6, 2009, 10:14:22 am »
Helly.. ALL car hire firms require a CREDIT card, not just eftpos/debit...
we hire cars regularly and we swap between, europcar, budget and red spot..
they will all quote you around $32-38 per day car hire.. the hidden extras are..insurance cover.. the basic package  only covers you for damage AFTER $3000..  the reduced package  costs  an extra approx  $35 per day and excess is reduced to approx $500..and the  no excess normally costs about $55 per day extra...

we booked a car the other week wiht euro.. got to coolangatta airport to find they had a "managers special" no excess unlimited Ks.. on a 3 day booking saved us over $200..  so basically what im saying is shop around..

oh and another thing.. you have to pay an extra tax on ANYTING you get at the airport..  so if you make ya way into town somewhere and get to a local agent.. you save  the tax..{normally 10% or there abouts)

That definitely makes this no birds company very appealing then, 3 weeks, $800, toyota corolla hatchback (are the boots decent, same as the UK model?) that includes excess of just $300, a sat nav and unlimited mileage over the whole area I intend to do my driving.  Only snag is like you said having to travel in to the city but according to google maps its only a 13 minute drive.  I'm going to get a prepaid credit card so that will be fine.

royhendo

« Reply #61 on: February 6, 2009, 01:40:54 pm »
Ahh the red center ...

It was magic Kaz although I'm red/green colour blind, which kind of renders Uluru and the Grand Canyon sunset a bit of an out-of-body experience when there are hundreds of people going "oooooh.... aaaaah.... look at the red... and the brown... and the green... and the oranges... it's amazing!" and you're stood there thinking "aye aye, it's just a load of shades of brown isn't it?"

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 6, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »
It was magic Kaz although I'm red/green colour blind, which kind of renders Uluru and the Grand Canyon sunset a bit of an out-of-body experience when there are hundreds of people going "oooooh.... aaaaah.... look at the red... and the brown... and the green... and the oranges... it's amazing!" and you're stood there thinking "aye aye, it's just a load of shades of brown isn't it?"

sorry shouldn't really, but :lmao

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 6, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »
Are you a Vic Rusty?

You're just jealous that you dont live in the best state in the country

Originally Pom but I would definitely count myself as a Vic, what can I say we have the best sport, best nightlife, best culture, best people... as for beaches I'd probably give that to WA or Queensland.

Oh yeah no crocs up here either! ;D
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 6, 2009, 05:00:38 pm »
Originally Pom but I would definitely count myself as a Vic, what can I say we have the best sport, best nightlife, best culture, best people... as for beaches I'd probably give that to WA or Queensland.

You speak the truth. NSW doesn't even come in second for best state. Queensland is beautiful with stunning beaches. I think we can all agree though that South Australia is a hole?

royhendo

« Reply #65 on: February 6, 2009, 05:29:40 pm »
sorry shouldn't really, but :lmao

;D

I can see better in the dark... handy in the outback when I had to go for a piss in the night I tells ya

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 6, 2009, 11:06:31 pm »

You know it makes sense  :thumbup

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #67 on: February 7, 2009, 03:48:30 am »
What a c*nt of a day...its now 47C (116.6F) with strong winds  :'(

Thank god I have air con and alcohol  8)
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 7, 2009, 01:17:48 pm »
The car temp said 48 today and the northerly blowing would be hot enough to bake a cake.

To top it off, we can now smell smoke :( I think we're safe, hopefully it is just carrying on the wind.  No sign of anything as yet.

Helly

« Reply #69 on: February 7, 2009, 01:34:02 pm »
The car temp said 48 today and the northerly blowing would be hot enough to bake a cake.

To top it off, we can now smell smoke :( I think we're safe, hopefully it is just carrying on the wind.  No sign of anything as yet.

Hope the fires dont effect you, 48 degrees, im almost feeling sorry for you, but then again I can always step outside and remember why I dont :P

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 7, 2009, 02:14:34 pm »
Hope the fires dont effect you, 48 degrees, im almost feeling sorry for you, but then again I can always step outside and remember why I dont :P

Thanks for the sympathy now go slip on an icy footpath ;)
« Last Edit: February 7, 2009, 02:16:58 pm by DK »

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 7, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »

This weather has been fucked - probably the worst I've experienced over an extended period of time. I despise humidity, but lump it in with 40 C plus temps (in the shade) and you have a recipe for uncomfortable which is on the wrong side of shithouse.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 7, 2009, 02:43:50 pm »
14 dead in Vic., as I've just read - that's confirmed. 40 dead possible from bushfires that only happen in this type of exceptional heat.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #73 on: February 7, 2009, 03:07:11 pm »
Hope they string the bastards up who started these fires !
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 7, 2009, 04:09:33 pm »

Deliberately lit fires in this weather is akin to mass murder, though have to say that fires start up in this heat from any type of slant, human caused or not.

Helly

« Reply #75 on: February 7, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »

Haha, git.  Just you wait til you get back here.  Get your arse up to Liverpool for a match an all.

Offline sydney_gal

• descended from pomegranates
  • Legacy Fan
  • Evil Twin
« Reply #76 on: February 7, 2009, 10:14:07 pm »
God I miss home so much. Someone remind me why I'm in this hell hole????
"you've gotta fight for every dream cause who's to know which one you let go, would have made you complete.."

Offline sydney_gal

• descended from pomegranates
  • Legacy Fan
  • Evil Twin
« Reply #77 on: February 7, 2009, 10:15:30 pm »

You don't have to worry DK... I'll just push her instead, just for safe measure!! hehehe...

ohhh guess who's back!!! :D
"you've gotta fight for every dream cause who's to know which one you let go, would have made you complete.."

Helly

« Reply #78 on: February 7, 2009, 10:33:46 pm »
God I miss home so much. Someone remind me why I'm in this hell hole????

Because it is full of lovely people like me :P

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 7, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »
14 dead in Vic., as I've just read - that's confirmed. 40 dead possible from bushfires that only happen in this type of exceptional heat.
Now 25 confirmed dead, with a possible 40 dead.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.