Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2002259 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #13120 on: February 23, 2021, 08:01:17 pm »
Bobby not playing well isn't a reason to sell. We want to build a squad and yet sell our better players just because someone hasn't played well.

Guess it depends how well you'd think he'd be not being first choice.

Would he come on in games and make an impact? He doesn't strike me as that sort of player personally.

Could he play every so often and be in good form when doing so? Guess that's the main question that Klopp would have to consider, as if he likely can't do that then it's useless keeping him around to pad out the squad.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13121 on: February 23, 2021, 08:05:04 pm »
Guess it depends how well you'd think he'd be not being first choice.

Would he come on in games and make an impact? He doesn't strike me as that sort of player personally.

Could he play every so often and be in good form when doing so? Guess that's the main question that Klopp would have to consider, as if he likely can't do that then it's useless keeping him around to pad out the squad.
The front 3 & Jota were being rotated when all able to play?

Guess that is down to the individuals and how they will be with idea of coming off the bench. How do we find such players that can fit into that scenario?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13122 on: February 23, 2021, 08:06:34 pm »
We've got enough players in and around our squad that are surplus to requirements though? Origi, Wilson, Grujic, etc.

Yes, but they dont eat in to our wage bill. This season we will be down significantly in revenue due to Covid and next season no CL.

Considering our financial position, we will have to expect our high earners to contribute significantly. We cannot carry players like those in the squad unless they deliver.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13123 on: February 23, 2021, 08:12:27 pm »
The front 3 & Jota were being rotated when all able to play?

I think Bobby started most games, didn't he?

Guess that is down to the individuals and how they will be with idea of coming off the bench. How do we find such players that can fit into that scenario?

I think some players are just more impactful in short periods than others. Normally those who are more direct, who run with the ball, who get in positions to shoot and who are relatively efficient in front of goal. I'm not sure that's Bobby's game at all.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #13124 on: February 23, 2021, 08:39:09 pm »
Bobby not playing well isn't a reason to sell. We want to build a squad and yet sell our better players just because someone hasn't played well.

Agree with this.

We shouldn't sell a player just because they aren't playing well.

However, we should consider replacing a player if they no longer fit the system, their mid to long term contribution is not commensurate with their performance or we think the loss of form is due to a physical decline that is only going one way. But the final, most important piece, is that you need to be able to replace them with someone better. Better individually, better in the system, better at bringing out the best in others etc.. On top fo this it needs to make financial sense in terms of fees and wages.

In the case of Firmino, or any other player, we will consider the above. I don't think it's anywhere close to being a definite that Firmino can't contribute any more. I think the biggest consideration is whether he can be relied on as a regular starter after this season. I don't think moving his position significantly (back into midfield) or becoming a squad option are likely for various reasons that others have highlighted.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13125 on: February 24, 2021, 12:45:09 am »
Some of the things seen on RAWK over he years would be more than applicable on those sites too.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #13126 on: February 24, 2021, 02:17:43 am »
that assist the other day though. Possibly the skill of the year in football, that was utter filth.

Still something in there. Im convinced bobby needs the crowds more than most. He just needs to slot home a no look winner in front of the kop and hear the place go crazy and he'll be a new man again.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline joshlfc94

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13127 on: February 24, 2021, 09:07:51 am »
Players decline you cut your losses and move them on its part and parcel of football.
Can we do replace him and do better? Yes absolutely.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13128 on: February 24, 2021, 09:24:16 am »
Players decline you cut your losses and move them on its part and parcel of football.
Can we do replace him and do better? Yes absolutely.

Not necessarily. You don't just sell every player when they start declining. There's plenty of examples where important players became 'less' important but were still part of the squad. Bobbys got another two and a half years left on his contract but its hard to see anyone paying any particularly substantial fee for him considering his drop off in form and wages he'd want. Might as well keep him around as a back-up/rotation. There's every chance he'll end up adapting his game to become more effective again and do better with playing less often.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13129 on: February 24, 2021, 09:37:04 am »
Gerrard showed a pretty big decline between 2010 and 2013. Then he had arguably one of his best seasons 13/14.

The thing is, we already have issues with our squad depth. I agree that we need a new striker, but if we sell Bobby, I'd be wanting another body. He still brings more to the team than Origi and Shaqiri do, and we can't keep relying on players like them.

Players like him should be gradually phased out, not just sold at the first sign of decline. Otherwise we will have ongoing issues with squad depth.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13130 on: February 24, 2021, 09:39:43 am »
to be honest I’d hardly say this is the first sign of decline. He’s looked off form for quite a while now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13131 on: February 24, 2021, 09:40:38 am »
Not necessarily. You don't just sell every player when they start declining. There's plenty of examples where important players became 'less' important but were still part of the squad. Bobbys got another two and a half years left on his contract but its hard to see anyone paying any particularly substantial fee for him considering his drop off in form and wages he'd want. Might as well keep him around as a back-up/rotation. There's every chance he'll end up adapting his game to become more effective again and do better with playing less often.

In an ideal world yes but in a situation where our wage bill was already high, where spending looks to be very tight and difficult and where its likely we are going to be under even more pressure with loss of CL revenue, I find it difficult to see how we can have a player who will be on between £150k-£200k a week having such a role.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13132 on: February 24, 2021, 09:41:32 am »
Mane: "He deserves more credit than me and Mo, for sure," Mane told ESPN Brazil.

"But it is part of football, (people) always seeing the goals scored. But without Bobby, I don't see me and Mo score as many goals as we have, to be honest.

"He makes everything easier for us. Brazil are just lucky to have Firmino. I have always said to Bobby: 'You will have to change your nationality and come to Senegal'.

"For me, that would be a dream. I just love him. I think he is my favourite team-mate."

/
Awaiting the, 'well he's not going to come out and say he's rubbish' responses

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13133 on: February 24, 2021, 09:45:24 am »
to be honest I’d hardly say this is the first sign of decline. He’s looked off form for quite a while now.
You could argue we should have brought in a player like Jota a year earlier than we did.

I've always had this concern that we'd end up having to replace Mane, Bobby, Salah all at the same time. What a front three they've been. It would be easy to replace any of them.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13134 on: February 24, 2021, 09:45:55 am »
Mane: "He deserves more credit than me and Mo, for sure," Mane told ESPN Brazil.

"But it is part of football, (people) always seeing the goals scored. But without Bobby, I don't see me and Mo score as many goals as we have, to be honest.

"He makes everything easier for us. Brazil are just lucky to have Firmino. I have always said to Bobby: 'You will have to change your nationality and come to Senegal'.

"For me, that would be a dream. I just love him. I think he is my favourite team-mate."

/

But he isn't going to do though is he?

This interview is exactly what i would expect any of our teammates to give. Infact if he was in any way negative he would deserve an internet flogging.

I should also add that it is Mane of the front 3 who is really off a cliff compared to last season. Salah has already scored more, Firmino is par and Sadio is behind
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:47:36 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13135 on: February 24, 2021, 09:45:58 am »

/

To be fair the players think Shaqiri has a better left foot than Salah so what the hell do they know!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13136 on: February 24, 2021, 09:47:47 am »
You could argue we should have brought in a player like Jota a year earlier than we did.

I've always had this concern that we'd end up having to replace Mane, Bobby, Salah all at the same time. What a front three they've been. It would be easy to replace any of them.

Nah I think we got it right. Jota came in last summer, as you expect Salah and Mane still to be productive, then bring in another this summer. What has hurt us is obviously Jota's horrendous injury but also the way Mane has dropped off a cliff, which nobody would have expected.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13137 on: February 24, 2021, 09:48:23 am »

This interview is exactly what i would expect any of our teammates to give. Infact if he was in any way negative he would deserve an internet flogging
Bit harsh that,not like he would have liked an Instagram post or soemthing

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13138 on: February 24, 2021, 09:54:28 am »
Nah I think we got it right. Jota came in last summer, as you expect Salah and Mane still to be productive, then bring in another this summer. What has hurt us is obviously Jota's horrendous injury but also the way Mane has dropped off a cliff, which nobody would have expected.
I think Mane still has more to give. I think he's just out of form and not enjoying himself. It doesn't help that the team expect all creativity to come from him.

Bobby on the other hand just looks really leggy and at times it feels like his body can't keep up with his brain. Physically he no longer seems capable of playing the role he has done for us anymore.

Offline LFCobsessive

• Main Stander
  • 'No more half-measures.'
« Reply #13139 on: February 24, 2021, 10:01:16 am »
I saw this coming a long time a go, I knew we would stick with him and was resigned to the fact and thought oh crap we are going to be like this. Fans and the manager saying I don't know what he offers the team in his unselfish play. His pressing from the front etc.
He doesn't press well, is slow, is clumsy, has the weakest shot in the world, grown man who can't use the heft of a leg and foot to twat the ball sometimes.
I'm not looking for scapegoats in this horrible run of form but to me he should have been out since a lot of last season too.
I want LFC to move on from the whole Firmino is untouchable and intrinsic to how we play thing, as much as I've loved the guy, no time for sentimentality but yes YNWA and I do support all players and care about them. But still old managers and coaches for LFC would be like ah fuck this amount of non effort or non skill.
That back heel assist to Salah was cool but it seems flukey more than anything, not consistent.

Get a good number 10 and a real striker or number 9, adapt our way we play up front, got to happen as far as I'm concerned and no matter how much we daly around it still has to happen at some point, do we wait another full season? Things like that is why I worry, not just the here and now and bad games we are playing.
Not forgetting Jota, but add to that, the team needs younger players too for the next step after Klopp in a few years.
'Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don't need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool's players keeps them motivated.'
Bill Shankly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13140 on: February 24, 2021, 10:02:26 am »

I’d have liked Jota, or ideally someone to play more central, a year earlier, but I don’t think it came too late, if that makes sense. The Jota injury obv didn’t help though.

Mane and Salah are, unless they push for it hard, going nowhere. Salah is still in top form, and Mane seems to just be going through a bad patch, prob not helped by the team in general going through a bad patch, and prob worse still by Bobby being in such a bad patch.

Bobby on the other hand is the first I’d look to replace, and it would be my priority (along with Caleta-Car) this summer. Harsh, maybe, but we have to evolve that front 3 at some point and we really shouldn’t leave it until all 3 need doing.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13141 on: February 24, 2021, 10:05:55 am »
I saw this coming a long time a go, I knew we would stick with him and was resigned to the fact and thought oh crap we are going to be like this. Fans and the manager saying I don't know what he offers the team in his unselfish play. His pressing from the front etc.
He doesn't press well, is slow, is clumsy, has the weakest shot in the world, grown man who can't use the heft of a leg and foot to twat the ball sometimes.
I'm not looking for scapegoats in this horrible run of form but to me he should have been out since a lot of last season too.

I want LFC to move on from the whole Firmino is untouchable and intrinsic to how we play thing, as much as I've loved the guy, no time for sentimentality but yes YNWA and I do support all players and care about them. But still old managers and coaches for LFC would be like ah fuck this amount of non effort or non skill.
That back heel assist to Salah was cool but it seems flukey more than anything,
not consistent.

Get a good number 10 and a real striker or number 9, adapt our way we play up front, got to happen as far as I'm concerned and no matter how much we daly around it still has to happen at some point, do we wait another full season? Things like that is why I worry, not just the here and now and bad games we are playing.
Not forgetting Jota, but add to that, the team needs younger players too for the next step after Klopp in a few years.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13142 on: February 24, 2021, 10:08:52 am »
That back heel assist to Salah was cool but it seems flukey more than anything, not consistent.

Now this is the kind of stuff I come into this thread for.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13143 on: February 24, 2021, 10:10:23 am »

;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13144 on: February 24, 2021, 10:15:22 am »

;D ;D ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13145 on: February 24, 2021, 10:20:36 am »

This interview is exactly what i would expect any of our teammates to give. Infact if he was in any way negative he would deserve an internet flogging.

I should also add that it is Mane of the front 3 who is really off a cliff compared to last season. Salah has already scored more, Firmino is par and Sadio is behind

Agreed, its the beauty of football. There's ZERO middle ground between, 'deserves more credit than us' and 'he's shit'.

Not like he could have praised him without saying anything drastic, would be utter madness, he HAS TO say he deserves the most credit out of the front 3.

Football interviews are worthless because of this perception that players cant be being honest when questions arise about their teammates, future, contract situation or manager.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:22:08 am by RyanBabel19 »

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #13146 on: February 24, 2021, 03:16:25 pm »
Back to our subject - this is for Bobby from Trendo

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1yiVLftINpw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1yiVLftINpw</a>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13147 on: February 24, 2021, 03:38:29 pm »
As Bill, Bob, Kenny and Rafa would have done, Bobby will be put out to pasture when Jurgen decides its the right time. Unlike the vast majority of fans, Jurgen and his team know exactly what Bobby brings to this team, whether on or off form and until they decide he isn't doing what they require from him and can no longer do it, he will be staying.

He's got years left in him.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #13148 on: February 24, 2021, 08:43:21 pm »
Going to bump my an old post of mine about Jota, as some might think he should play instead of Bobby. The stats show how Jurgen used Diego, and it wasn't as a replacement.

Let's look at this in more detail:

Jota started 5 times in the League. Who was he partnered with as a starter?

4/10  Villa-- Jota, Bobby, Mo. No Sadio
24/10 Shef. Utd-- Jota, Sadio, Bobby, Mo. All 4 started.
8/11 Man City-- Jota, Sadio, Bobby, Mo. All 4 started.
22/11 Leicester-- Jota, Bobby, Sadio. No Mo.
28/11 Brighton-- Jota, Bobby, Mo. No Sadio.

<snip>

Bobby started every time.  And in three of the matches above Jota scored. Shef, Leicester, Brighton. Maybe it was because Bobby was on the pitch. Nah, couldn't have been...
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline LFCobsessive

• Main Stander
  • 'No more half-measures.'
« Reply #13149 on: February 27, 2021, 12:04:41 am »
Going to bump my an old post of mine about Jota, as some might think he should play instead of Bobby. The stats show how Jurgen used Diego, and it wasn't as a replacement.

That's kind of disingenuous though really to be fair, as most of us know, because it was/is an awkward situation with Bobby, one of Klopp's most loved and useful players for a good period. So, to just straight drop him without a transitional period would be brutal and seem like unrewarding to Firmino's mentally to the manager I would guess.
'Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don't need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool's players keeps them motivated.'
Bill Shankly.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13150 on: February 28, 2021, 06:07:17 pm »
A match stat before the Sheffield United match courtesy of LFC:

Gini has appeared in the last 47 League matches, While Bobby has not missed a League match since May 2019, an uninterrupted run of 63.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13151 on: February 28, 2021, 07:55:47 pm »
Fucking hell Bobby

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13152 on: February 28, 2021, 07:57:29 pm »
 ;D

Couldn't make it up. SHOOT!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13153 on: February 28, 2021, 08:02:22 pm »
Either his shot isn't good enough or he passes it at the wrong time.

Offline Quaesto

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13154 on: February 28, 2021, 08:03:13 pm »
He played well though.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #13155 on: February 28, 2021, 08:03:33 pm »
My heart sank to rock bottom when I saw him on the teamsheet. Good because it meant I was emotionally unaffected by his miserable performance for 45 minutes. The reason he gets into goal scoring positions is because the opposition have completely stopped marking him. They WANT him on the ball in the penalty area. Rather him than absolutely any other LFC player.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #13156 on: February 28, 2021, 08:03:46 pm »
;D

Couldn't make it up. SHOOT!
Nope, he was right

The shot wasn’t on.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #13157 on: February 28, 2021, 10:02:53 pm »
Nope, he was right

The shot wasn’t on.

Spot on.  His first touch took him away from the goal to his non-dominant left foot.   

That was a case of us being tied, worried and leakage bleeding in from the other missed opportunity he had --  natural but not needed.

What I liked best about his performance was his determination to take people on in the middle of the park (dribble them).  The more he does that --- while keeping it --- the more dangerous Sadio and Mo get.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #13158 on: February 28, 2021, 10:11:53 pm »
Nope, he was right

The shot wasn’t on.
I can’t see how you can possibly say passing direct to a Sheff Utd player was the correct option, surely the second goal shows that anything can happen when you take the shot on.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13159 on: February 28, 2021, 10:18:12 pm »
MOTM today.

Shame they took the goal off him. He would have had our 7,000th top flight League goal.