Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 552310 times)

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #9600 on: August 19, 2021, 04:37:19 pm »
Is it safe to say he replaces Mike Trout as best player in Baseball.

Could win a Cy Young and MVP this season.

#Unworldy.

He was 25/1 for MVP at the start of the season...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9601 on: August 19, 2021, 04:39:24 pm »
I'll hopefully get to see him in the flesh next summer when i'm over in OC.

I tried for about 3 summers in a row to watch the Dodgers when Kershaw was in his ridiculous pomp and was scheduled to pitch and he kept going on the DL. :no

Such a travesty having the 2 best players in the game and they are just like the Everton of Baseball, Everton could never get the 2 best players in Football though. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9602 on: August 19, 2021, 04:47:21 pm »
He was 25/1 for MVP at the start of the season...

Given his injuries over the last few years, I wasn't expecting him to be this amazing.  If he'd decided he couldn't pitch, I'd still have been seriously impressed by what he's done this year.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9603 on: September 5, 2021, 10:37:02 pm »
Robbie Ray is going to get PAID. Most strikeouts in MLB history through 1000 innings and he's been CY Young for about 2 months.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9604 on: September 6, 2021, 12:35:32 am »
Robbie Ray is going to get PAID. Most strikeouts in MLB history through 1000 innings and he's been CY Young for about 2 months.
Brian Cashman must rue the day he was unwilling to put Clint Frazier in the package to get him from the Dbacks.

Another clusterfuck from Cashman.

Dodgers with their unlimited money will make a play no doubt in the off season, they seem to want an entire staff of aces. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9605 on: September 8, 2021, 10:00:04 am »
Brian Cashman must rue the day he was unwilling to put Clint Frazier in the package to get him from the Dbacks.

Another clusterfuck from Cashman.

Dodgers with their unlimited money will make a play no doubt in the off season, they seem to want an entire staff of aces. ;D

Might even win the CY Young at this rate. Reckon he gets 5 years 150m+ from somebody. Maybe the Giants or the Dodgers ;D

Blue Jays are scolding hot right now but still have no margin for error. Tough to keep this kind of winning streak going because you usually find when you lose 1 a couple follow swiftly after and you're back to square one.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9606 on: September 9, 2021, 01:48:13 pm »
Might even win the CY Young at this rate. Reckon he gets 5 years 150m+ from somebody. Maybe the Giants or the Dodgers ;D

Blue Jays are scolding hot right now but still have no margin for error. Tough to keep this kind of winning streak going because you usually find when you lose 1 a couple follow swiftly after and you're back to square one.
Yankees won 13 in a row, since then they are 1-9.

Cole is looking being down for the season after his hamstring injury, Chapman has got the wobbles on the mound.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9607 on: September 16, 2021, 01:10:43 pm »
Robbie. Ray. CY Young is all but wrapped up now surely. 230 odd punchouts in 180 innings. Just ridiculous. Without doubt one of the best starting pitchers we've had for a very long time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:12:18 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9608 on: September 19, 2021, 02:40:04 am »
Phil Cuzzi is having a classic as the home plate ump in the Cards/Padres game.

Basically, if I was pitching I'd have 9 K's by now. His strike zone is generous to say the least!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9609 on: September 20, 2021, 10:50:56 am »
Put a fork in the Yankees, they are done for the season.

Hopefully Cashman and Boone and can fall of their sword at the season's end, both are stealing a living.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9610 on: September 25, 2021, 11:49:53 pm »
The Cards are on fire, what 15 wins in a row now? I don't think anyone wants to see them at the moment.

Maybe they'll cool down by the time the Wildcard rounds start in 8 or so games if they make it, but at the moment... wow.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9611 on: October 1, 2021, 06:02:22 am »
Put a fork in the Yankees, they are done for the season.

Hopefully Cashman and Boone and can fall of their sword at the season's end, both are stealing a living.

Not so fast! The last ten days have been all Yankees as far as the AL East wild card chasers go. Yanks have a 2 game lead in the WC now.

The hottest team in the AL, your Seattle Mariners ladies and gentlemen, have moved into a second place tie with the Sox.

Both Boston and Toronto are running out of steam.  Red Sox just dropped 2 out of 3 to the Orioles, who could end up every Mariners fans’ second team if they step up against the Blue Jays in the final 3 games.  Sox have the Nats. Mariners have the Angels. And the Yankees try to wrap up their spot soon with the Rays in town.

The atmosphere in Seattle will be awesome for these final games as they try to end that infamous playoff drought.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2021, 06:05:48 am by skipper757 »
King Kenny.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9612 on: October 1, 2021, 04:21:44 pm »
Not so fast! The last ten days have been all Yankees as far as the AL East wild card chasers go. Yanks have a 2 game lead in the WC now.

The hottest team in the AL, your Seattle Mariners ladies and gentlemen, have moved into a second place tie with the Sox.

Both Boston and Toronto are running out of steam.  Red Sox just dropped 2 out of 3 to the Orioles, who could end up every Mariners fans’ second team if they step up against the Blue Jays in the final 3 games.  Sox have the Nats. Mariners have the Angels. And the Yankees try to wrap up their spot soon with the Rays in town.

The atmosphere in Seattle will be awesome for these final games as they try to end that infamous playoff drought.
Its been a crazy turnaround, Judge and Stanton are absolute crushing the ball in that span.

But sadly those bats will go cold when the post season comes with the better pitching, the annual 21st century Yankees October struggles will continue for another year.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9613 on: October 3, 2021, 01:28:08 pm »
Final weekend so far for Wild Card:

Yankees 0-2; 91-70
Red Sox 2-0; 91-70
Blue Jays 2-0; 90-71
Mariners 1-1; 90-71

Mariners blew a lead but then saved themselves with a late rally to stay in it.  If either the Yankees or Red Sox lose (or both) and the Blue Jays and Mariners win, we could have a 3-way tie for 2nd wild card or a 4-way tie!

Incredible ending to the season.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32328371/mlb-playoffs-everything-need-know-tiebreakers-wild-cards-last-day-mlb-season
King Kenny.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #9614 on: October 3, 2021, 11:23:24 pm »
The Yankees have beaten the Rays, finishing 92-70 so have 1 of the wildcard places in the AL.

The Blue Jays are well ahead of the Orioles, so should finish 91-71.

The Red Sox are 5-5 with the Nationals at the bottom of the 8th innings (Nationals at bat) & the Mariners are losing 7-3 to the Angels in the 7th.

So it's going to likely be either a playoff between the Red Sox & the Blue Jays or the Red Sox will take the 2nd wildcard spot without a playoff.

To have the possibility of a 4 way playoff for the AL wildcards after a 162 game season is absolutely crazy!!

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #9615 on: October 3, 2021, 11:56:41 pm »
Red Sox beat the Nationals 7-5, so will play the Yankees @ Fenway Park in the AL Wildcard.

The postseason schedule is now

AL Wildcard
Yankees @ Red Sox

NL Wildcard
Cardinals @ Dodgers

AL Division Series (Best of 5)
Yankees/Red Sox vs Rays
White Sox vs Astros

NL Division Series (Best of 5)
Cardinals/Dodgers vs Giants
Brewers vs Braves

I'm going for either the Dodgers or Giants to win the World Series, beating the Astros in 6 games.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9616 on: October 4, 2021, 12:00:31 am »
I'll say White Sox v Brewers.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9617 on: October 4, 2021, 09:03:33 am »
So the Yankees finished ahead of Red Sox in AL east. But the red Sox take the 1st Wildcard slot and home advantage?

Any stateside (or alternatively someone here with any idea) peeps care to explain?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9618 on: October 4, 2021, 09:06:05 am »
So the Yankees finished ahead of Red Sox in AL east. But the red Sox take the 1st Wildcard slot and home advantage?

Any stateside (or alternatively someone here with any idea) peeps care to explain?

Red Sox won the season series against the Yankees.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9619 on: October 4, 2021, 09:12:08 am »
Red Sox won the season series against the Yankees.

Interesting, thanks. It just looked odd when I saw the division standings and then saw the Red Sox had the first slot.

Can imagine that will be a quiet night at Fenway

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9620 on: October 4, 2021, 11:44:03 am »
Yankees will win in Fenway by slugging a few home runs.

Then get swept by the Rays when the bats go cold with loads of strikeouts and the team hitting a combined .190 against stellar pitching, while the leaves turn yellow, the Yankees bats go cold, the story of the Pinstripes in the the 21st century.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9621 on: October 4, 2021, 12:00:32 pm »
I think it’s shaping up to be a great playoffs. I was reading the MLB’s top 50 players for this years playoffs and it really has got most of them. Guerrero, Springer, Ohtani, Trout, Perez and Soto aren’t there but most of the top ones are we’ve a lot to look forward to.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9622 on: October 4, 2021, 05:15:17 pm »
I think it’s shaping up to be a great playoffs. I was reading the MLB’s top 50 players for this years playoffs and it really has got most of them. Guerrero, Springer, Ohtani, Trout, Perez and Soto aren’t there but most of the top ones are we’ve a lot to look forward to.

It should be a great postseason, but I think we're missing a lot of top-tier players.  Ohtani, Vladdy Jr., and Perez are probably 1-2-3 in AL MVP voting.  Harper and Soto are probably 1-2 in the NL MVP.  Tatis won't be there.  Jose Ramirez won't be there.  In fact, your exciting Jays team with Semien, Bichette, Ray (AL Cy Young winner presumably), Springer in addition to Guerrero being missing is unfortunate.  Acuna won't be there either due to injury, and Trout and DeGrom are of course big misses (but they would've been out for parts of the postseason if not entirely anyway due to injury).

I think this postseason has incredible teams and most of the top pitchers, but it's missing a lot of top talent.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2021, 05:17:23 pm by skipper757 »
King Kenny.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #9623 on: October 4, 2021, 05:20:29 pm »

Possible you looked at the standings before Boston completed their win over the Nats. It finished near midnight here and so both were 92-70 at the finish. Earlier the Yankees held a one game lead as they had finished.

As Gerry said the Red Sox won the season series over the Yankees 10-9.

Going to pick the Giants to win The Series which would be amazing as they weren’t given a chance back in April.
They won it in 1921 as well! 

Dodgers are favs I see at 7/2 in an open contest although I think The Rays could win through from the NL.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9624 on: October 5, 2021, 12:44:46 am »
Shame the wildcard game is only a 1 game series, be better if it was best of 3.
#Sausages

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9625 on: October 5, 2021, 06:09:07 am »

I looked when I was posting. Still shows the same now.

No harm, just confused me.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9626 on: October 5, 2021, 12:48:48 pm »
I'll say White Sox v Brewers.

Rays v Dodgers
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9627 on: October 6, 2021, 06:34:02 am »
The Red Sox beat the Yankees quite comfortably.

7 walks to 0 doesn’t tell the whole story but it’s a good place to start
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #9628 on: October 6, 2021, 09:26:03 am »
The Red Sox beat the Yankees quite comfortably.

Oof!

I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #9629 on: October 6, 2021, 10:05:01 am »
Go Sox!
YNWA

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9630 on: October 6, 2021, 01:34:25 pm »

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #9631 on: October 6, 2021, 03:13:43 pm »
I'll go White Sox vs Giants.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9632 on: October 6, 2021, 03:51:23 pm »
Always a good day when the Yankees are knocked down a peg or 10.

Loved that 1st inning last night when Stanton in his arrogance stood and admired his home run, only to see it hit the green monster, and he ended up only managing a single :lmao

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9633 on: October 6, 2021, 03:57:56 pm »
Damn Yankees.

Some murmurings that Cashman will step down and move to a executive position.

Definitely need a new set of eyes for recruitment now, instead of Cashman who's stuck in the steroid era of home run wins games.

Scandalous that this ball club has only one title in the last 20 years with the financial outlay, and the last title win in large part was because George Steinbrenner demanded Cashman sign CC, Teixiera and Burnett that winter window.

I fancy the Redsox to win the pennant and play the Giants in the WS.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9634 on: October 6, 2021, 06:23:03 pm »
Damn Yankees.

Some murmurings that Cashman will step down and move to a executive position.

Definitely need a new set of eyes for recruitment now, instead of Cashman who's stuck in the steroid era of home run wins games.

Scandalous that this ball club has only one title in the last 20 years with the financial outlay, and the last title win in large part was because George Steinbrenner demanded Cashman sign CC, Teixiera and Burnett that winter window.

I fancy the Redsox to win the pennant and play the Giants in the WS.

Yankees have been taking to this three true outcomes.  It'll be interesting if there's a philosophical change if Cashman leaves.

Analysis of historical data really places an emphasis on home runs and the metrics simple such as OPS or an amalgamation like WAR really love home runs as a driver.  In the current environment, given how much faster pitchers have been throwing and with more spin (though that's changed recently), it's harder to make contact and string together hits.  Thus, swinging for the fences is good from both a historical perspective (what drives success) and also from a forward-looking perspective.  2021 was another year of near-breaking strikeout rates and high home run rates with near record low batting average (.244).  Things have plateaued a bit though (kinda hard not to) and any further rule changes could shift philosophies again (e.g. doing something with the mound, changing the ball, etc).  For the foreseeable future, though, home runs are here to stay.

The question is if the Yankees are taking things too far and if the postseason adds a different dynamic that ultimately cuts the Yankees short.  In their two recent series against the Sox (this game and in 2018), the Yankees entered the game with a similar OPS+ to the Sox but a significantly lower batting average.  The Yankees get more of their OPS from the walks they generate and home runs they hit.  Despite A-Rod's mostly awful commentary and inane comments (the comment about how big market teams shouldn't try to be like the Rays was especially weird; like analytics and good farm systems are bad?  Pretty sure big market teams also have had success with that approach), A-Rod did point out a key:  don't walk the Yankees and you have a good shot.  The Sox didn't walk the Yankees last night (how many 3-ball counts did Eovaldi never have?  He was a strike-throwing machine).  In 2018, over the course of the series, the Sox actually drew more walks than the Yankees did.  This year, the Red Sox hit .261 while the Yankees hit .237.  In 2018, the Red Sox hit .268, and the Yankees hit .249.  The issue for the Yankees is, if they can't get on-base via walks (they're almost always near the top during the regular season), and their batting average is actually significantly lower, how are they able to generate enough runs?  Can't win games by only hitting solo home runs.  To top it off, the Yankees led the league this year in outs made at home, and that manifested itself in a big way last night.  The best chance of a big inning where one swing changes everything went by the wayside with that send of Judge.

To rack up regular season wins, ignoring how one gets on base (just do it any way you can for the OBP), focusing on home runs (got to pump the SLG), and de-emphasizing running could work.  But in these postseason defeats against other good but more balanced offenses (Boston, Houston, and Tampa), you wonder if the Yankees will take a step back from the pure analytical bent of walks to drive OBP and home runs to drive slugging.
King Kenny.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9635 on: October 6, 2021, 07:20:14 pm »
Always a good day when the Yankees are knocked down a peg or 10.

Loved that 1st inning last night when Stanton in his arrogance stood and admired his home run, only to see it hit the green monster, and he ended up only managing a single :lmao

I watched the start of it & that was quite funny, & commentators were saying that'd been a home run had it been a week ago because of the warmer air temperatures, think it was around 60F at first innings, but should have been a double at minimum had he not stood around to admire the shot. ;D
#Sausages

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9636 on: October 7, 2021, 12:08:13 am »
Theo Epstein turned down a Mets offer to be head of Baseball operations.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/10/06/theo-epstein-passes-mets-baseball-operations-opening

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9637 on: October 7, 2021, 12:26:52 am »
Yankees have been taking to this three true outcomes.  It'll be interesting if there's a philosophical change if Cashman leaves.

Analysis of historical data really places an emphasis on home runs and the metrics simple such as OPS or an amalgamation like WAR really love home runs as a driver.  In the current environment, given how much faster pitchers have been throwing and with more spin (though that's changed recently), it's harder to make contact and string together hits.  Thus, swinging for the fences is good from both a historical perspective (what drives success) and also from a forward-looking perspective.  2021 was another year of near-breaking strikeout rates and high home run rates with near record low batting average (.244).  Things have plateaued a bit though (kinda hard not to) and any further rule changes could shift philosophies again (e.g. doing something with the mound, changing the ball, etc).  For the foreseeable future, though, home runs are here to stay.

The question is if the Yankees are taking things too far and if the postseason adds a different dynamic that ultimately cuts the Yankees short.  In their two recent series against the Sox (this game and in 2018), the Yankees entered the game with a similar OPS+ to the Sox but a significantly lower batting average.  The Yankees get more of their OPS from the walks they generate and home runs they hit.  Despite A-Rod's mostly awful commentary and inane comments (the comment about how big market teams shouldn't try to be like the Rays was especially weird; like analytics and good farm systems are bad?  Pretty sure big market teams also have had success with that approach), A-Rod did point out a key:  don't walk the Yankees and you have a good shot.  The Sox didn't walk the Yankees last night (how many 3-ball counts did Eovaldi never have?  He was a strike-throwing machine).  In 2018, over the course of the series, the Sox actually drew more walks than the Yankees did.  This year, the Red Sox hit .261 while the Yankees hit .237.  In 2018, the Red Sox hit .268, and the Yankees hit .249.  The issue for the Yankees is, if they can't get on-base via walks (they're almost always near the top during the regular season), and their batting average is actually significantly lower, how are they able to generate enough runs?  Can't win games by only hitting solo home runs.  To top it off, the Yankees led the league this year in outs made at home, and that manifested itself in a big way last night.  The best chance of a big inning where one swing changes everything went by the wayside with that send of Judge.

To rack up regular season wins, ignoring how one gets on base (just do it any way you can for the OBP), focusing on home runs (got to pump the SLG), and de-emphasizing running could work.  But in these postseason defeats against other good but more balanced offenses (Boston, Houston, and Tampa), you wonder if the Yankees will take a step back from the pure analytical bent of walks to drive OBP and home runs to drive slugging.
Informative post, thanks for that.

Yeah i'm just sick of the Yankees, the same thing every freaking October, Cashman has to go, it's been utterly shameful how much they have underachieved, 2 division titles since the WS in 2009, time for Yankees to hire some numbers boffin in their 30's to run the front office and pay the big bucks for starting pitching for a start.

I remember that Torre team of the late 90's early 00's that only had one slugger in Tino Martinez who averaged around 30-35 a season, the Yankees were never in the top 10-15 clubs for HR's, but were always top 5 for walks and BA, and that was backed up by a stellar pitching rotation of Clemens, Pettitte, El Duque, Cone, and Wells, a team built perfectly for the Playoffs with patient timely hitting grinding down playoff starting pitching, and Cashman was assistant GM those glory days, you think he would have learned a winning formula.

Yankees changed when they signed Giambi in 2002, the demise of the Yankees started that year into a HR philosophy, then Arod arrived to take it to another level, then Gary Sheffield, and it's just been to hell with timely hitting and pitching and lets be like the 1927 Yankees with our version of Murderers Row.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2021, 12:30:23 am by RedSince86 »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9638 on: October 7, 2021, 01:50:46 am »

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/10/06/theo-epstein-passes-mets-baseball-operations-opening
I know that Theo's performed baseball miracles, but even God himself couldn't deliver a World Series to the Mets.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9639 on: October 7, 2021, 02:47:11 am »

Good choice.
My team are a shitshow.