Author Topic: Squid Game - Netflix  (Read 10932 times)

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Squid Game - Netflix
« Reply #40 on: October 5, 2021, 02:37:09 pm »
Spoiler
Episode 7 - If I'm Sang-Woo, as the front man of the last three people on the bridge, I'm staying on the bridge for an extra few seconds. Ooops everyone's dead I've won where's my money?
[close]
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #41 on: October 5, 2021, 02:49:27 pm »
Spoiler
Episode 7 - If I'm Sang-Woo, as the front man of the last three people on the bridge, I'm staying on the bridge for an extra few seconds. Ooops everyone's dead I've won where's my money?
[close]

Spoiler
I thought that too but guess there's a big risk that one of them shoves him off.

Reckon that more would have thought about the approach that the baddie took of letting other players pass through and just waiting.
[close]

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #42 on: October 5, 2021, 03:21:52 pm »
We tried with the subtitles, but too prone to not paying attention for a couple of minutes and completely losing whats going on so using the dubbed English version and its fine

Which is why you invest in the programme and you get the enjoyment out of it. 

I recently watched The Pact but half the time i wasn't really watching, just listening.  Not sure if it was really any good or not.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #43 on: October 5, 2021, 03:28:00 pm »

I recently watched The Pact but half the time i wasn't really watching, just listening.  Not sure if it was really any good or not.

Some people can do this.  My girlfriend spends half her time on her mobile for a lot of shows but still somehow knows every single intricate detail that I've missed when I've been paying full attention.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 5, 2021, 03:38:51 pm »
Some people can do this.  My girlfriend spends half her time on her mobile for a lot of shows but still somehow knows every single intricate detail that I've missed when I've been paying full attention.

I can usually tell within the first episode of a show whether it is something I need/want to give my full attention, something I will just watch while doing other things on phone or computer, or to bin off entirely.

I'm with Eel Lobo on this one, I was watching the dubbed version as was doing other things while watching. I know i probably missed out on a lot that way but still enjoyed it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #45 on: October 5, 2021, 04:46:04 pm »

I've watched every minute of it so far (six episodes) and enjoyed it immensely :thumbup
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 5, 2021, 05:41:40 pm »
Which of the games would you fail or succeed at? Couldn't do game 2 for sure. Wouldn't have the patience.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 5, 2021, 05:57:10 pm »
Which of the games would you fail or succeed at? Couldn't do game 2 for sure. Wouldn't have the patience.
I figured the red light green light game.

Hands in pockets with arms pressed tight and long strides, could easily not get caught moving and still eat up yardage. :D

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #48 on: October 5, 2021, 05:58:09 pm »

Can we delete him from this thread? ;)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 5, 2021, 10:23:15 pm »
Spoiler
Game 1 - Easy
Game 2 - I'm dead
Game 3 - Fine as long as you're in the bigger team
Game 4 - I'm immediately killing whoever my partner is
Game 5 - My first thought was go 2nd last so I'd have been alright
Game 6 - I'm finding a way to kill everyone left before it gets to this point
[close]
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #50 on: October 5, 2021, 10:39:31 pm »

Spoiler
even if I knew every correct pane of glass, I wouldn't be able to take one step off that fucking platform
[close]
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #51 on: October 5, 2021, 11:15:52 pm »
Spoiler
Game 1 - Easy
Game 2 - I'm dead
Game 3 - Fine as long as you're in the bigger team
Game 4 - I'm immediately killing whoever my partner is
Game 5 - My first thought was go 2nd last so I'd have been alright
Game 6 - I'm finding a way to kill everyone left before it gets to this point
[close]

4, violence was forbidden
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 6, 2021, 08:29:54 am »
Watched 4 episodes last night - agree on the english subtitles, the dubbing put me off within 10 mins of the start, so started again with the original korean voices.  I think the pay off is greater, dubbing doesn't get over the emotion of the characters, but my god the woman who is in the bad guys gang, her voice is like nails over a chalkboard.

As for which games i would fail on......so far only seen 3 of them and i'm pretty sure i would be done in all 3.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 6, 2021, 08:41:40 am »
One of my colleagues is Korean and he reckons the dialogue is a lot stronger and more sinister in Korean. He thinks it's been softened with the subtitles and more than likely the same with the dubbing.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #54 on: October 6, 2021, 09:34:05 am »
If you loved this, watch Alice in Borderland as well. Similar niche but Japanese and also a really good watch.

Started this on your recommendation. Liking it so far.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 6, 2021, 10:38:49 am »
4, violence was forbidden

Well, damn. I'm dead for the 2nd time then!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #56 on: October 6, 2021, 02:39:27 pm »
One of my colleagues is Korean and he reckons the dialogue is a lot stronger and more sinister in Korean. He thinks it's been softened with the subtitles and more than likely the same with the dubbing.

Softened...it's heavy going already!  :o

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 7, 2021, 04:09:53 pm »

Just started on this after the kids watching it, the missus is rubbish with subtitles so gone with the dubbed. I'll watch it again with subtitles and see if/how different it feels.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #58 on: October 7, 2021, 10:48:41 pm »
Spoiler
Just get on the fucking plane, you dick!

Hated that ending.
[close]
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 7, 2021, 10:56:56 pm »
Spoiler

Hated that ending.
[close]

Spoiler
The ending would've been fine if he wasn't abandoning his kid again, especially after leaving the other girls little brother in a children's home for a year, oh and never getting her mum out of North Korea.
[close]

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #60 on: October 8, 2021, 02:00:19 pm »
Spoiler
The ending would've been fine if he wasn't abandoning his kid again, especially after leaving the other girls little brother in a children's home for a year, oh and never getting her mum out of North Korea.
[close]
Spoiler
The ending demonstrated his moral purpose. He's refused to abandon his mission to expose the whole thing.

It was also necessary if you want a second series.
[close]

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #61 on: October 8, 2021, 06:25:32 pm »
If you read the article it seems well meaning but possibly a bit pedantic. I don't really know why the dub and subs wouldn't be the same text anyway. I'm sure there are some turns of phrase and some Korean interpretations lost here and there but it might be the same with the dub.

ANd I've got too much on to start learning Korean ;D

Dubbing has to match the mouth movements more closely than subtitles.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 8, 2021, 06:30:13 pm »
Spoiler
I thought that too but guess there's a big risk that one of them shoves him off.

Reckon that more would have thought about the approach that the baddie took of letting other players pass through and just waiting.
[close]

Spoiler
And the safe glass will take two people so they could go past him even if they didn;t actually push him off.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 8, 2021, 06:42:28 pm »
Spoiler
The ending demonstrated his moral purpose. He's refused to abandon his mission to expose the whole thing.

It was also necessary if you want a second series.
[close]

Spoiler
I get that, but continuing to be a deadbeat Dad doesn't exactly seem all that moral.
[close]

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 8, 2021, 07:24:05 pm »
Did I read its the most watched programme in 90 countries?
The top streamed series ever?

Like most I binged it in a few days. Many won't finish it.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #65 on: October 9, 2021, 06:53:56 pm »
Spoiler

Hated that ending.
[close]

Exactly how I felt about it... 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #66 on: October 9, 2021, 11:17:43 pm »
Spoiler
I get that, but continuing to be a deadbeat Dad doesn't exactly seem all that moral.
[close]

Spoiler
Especially when they make the step-dad out to be a controlling prick.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2021, 05:11:57 pm »
Many won't finish it.

Already seen loads of posts on Facebook from the "Live Laugh Love", "Just me and my kids from now on" and "Ain't got no time for snakes and backstabbers" crowd.  All trying to jump on the Squid Game Bandwagon.

Only to see a couple of posts later, things like "Got fed up and binned it off",  "Fucking hate subtitles".  etc  (Translation:  I have a low attention span,  I have reading difficulties)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2021, 07:11:45 pm »
I read last week that the subs are copying the dub so not good at all. If you choose subs (cc) it’s supposed to be much better.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2021, 07:39:20 am »
Already seen loads of posts on Facebook from the "Live Laugh Love", "Just me and my kids from now on" and "Ain't got no time for snakes and backstabbers" crowd. 
Tell me more about these folks...I'm already invested.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2021, 09:32:55 am »
Spoiler
We have just finished it. It was absolutely enthralling from start to finish and I personally hope they don’t do a second season.
[close]

Spoiler
I can't see how it would be as good. Part of the beauty of the first season is the shock of the games (especially the first one) and the mentality of the contestants (especially with the marble game). I think that would be missing with a second season, as we all now know how it works, and then there is the danger of it becoming a bit like the Saw franchise where they just try to shock the viewer rather than having a worthwhile plot.
[close]

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2021, 09:53:25 am »
Spoiler
I can't see how it would be as good. Part of the beauty of the first season is the shock of the games (especially the first one) and the mentality of the contestants (especially with the marble game). I think that would be missing with a second season, as we all now know how it works, and then there is the danger of it becoming a bit like the Saw franchise where they just try to shock the viewer rather than having a worthwhile plot.
[close]

Spoiler
I doubt it would be, but there's no way they're going to look a gift horse in the mouth considering how popular it is. And there's a lot they've left open for a second season (aside from Gi-Hun I'm pretty sure Jun-Ho isn't dead, obviously the games are carrying on so he didn't find the 'main guy', there's still a load of VIPs they could focus on, and considering its a crazy TV show you never know who they could bring back from the dead. A frankenstein Deok-Su would be quite scary) 
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2021, 10:44:21 am »
Spoiler
I doubt it would be, but there's no way they're going to look a gift horse in the mouth considering how popular it is. And there's a lot they've left open for a second season (aside from Gi-Hun I'm pretty sure Jun-Ho isn't dead, obviously the games are carrying on so he didn't find the 'main guy', there's still a load of VIPs they could focus on, and considering its a crazy TV show you never know who they could bring back from the dead. A frankenstein Deok-Su would be quite scary) 
[close]

Netflix are to invest $500m into Korean content over the next year. After Squid Game, Parasite, Train to Busan and Minari over the past few years Korea is cultural hotspot. It also costs considerably less to produce in locally than in the USA.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2021, 11:16:59 am »
Netflix are to invest $500m into Korean content over the next year. After Squid Game, Parasite, Train to Busan and Minari over the past few years Korea is cultural hotspot. It also costs considerably less to produce in locally than in the USA.
So you're saying...it's a good Korea move for Netflix.

:P

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2021, 11:23:51 am »

;D
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2021, 11:24:24 am »

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2021, 12:02:23 pm »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2021, 01:03:30 pm »

I don't know - seems like they're selling their Seoul if you ask me.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2021, 01:14:57 pm »
On the ending:

Spoiler

Hated that ending.
[close]

Spoiler
He's compulsive - it's who he is and that's how he got into the shit in the first place. And he's wracked with guilt over his mother, his friend and everyone he's touched with his chaotic life. Of course he should take the money after everythig he's been through and of course he should get on the plane. But he's like the scorpion in the tale of the scorpion and the frog - it's in his nature.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2021, 01:17:47 pm »
I don't know - seems like they're selling their Seoul if you ask me.
Terrible...that's so won.