Author Topic: 20 years since The Premiership on ITV  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
20 years since The Premiership on ITV
« on: September 16, 2021, 10:17:41 am »
I know it was August 18th and I’m a few weeks late, but it’s officially 20 years since The Premiership on ITV launched.

What do you remember about it? I’m in this weird position where it was my first introduction to football, so when MOTD came back in 2004, I never really got into it, until this day.

As a show, they made a lot of mistakes, ones I think now they wouldn’t. But the intro still makes my hair stand up. I haven’t seen a better one since.

https://youtu.be/0mOax7-bO5A

https://youtu.be/gmz2XI9WDrU

Here’s two of them.

Thoughts on its 20 year anniversary?

Edit: Most people talk about the tactics truck when looking back (I mean how can you not) but thoughts unrelated to that)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:56:03 am by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: 20 years since The Premiership on ITV
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 10:21:21 am »
I genuinely just remember it had 'Beautiful Day' by U2 as the theme, and thats it.

Lynam presenting....maybe?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 10:23:14 am »
I genuinely just remember it had 'Beautiful Day' by U2 as the theme, and thats it.

Lynam presenting....maybe?

Yeah it was seen as a big coup at the time when they snatched him from BBC.

He would come up with some good lines, like when Arsenal came back from 2-0 down to beat West Ham 3-2. “Arsenal have O2 on their shirts, well they came back from 0-2 down to win”.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 10:23:57 am »
It was also shown a lot earlier wasn’t it? I’m sure it first aired early evening and then there was a bit of a backlash and got moved to the more traditional later night slot.

Plus everyone remembers Andy Townsend’s tactics truck. Think there’s an uncomfortable interview with Ugo Eghiogu as they analyse his red card in full detail. :D

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:27:39 am »
4 words to make you shudder - Andy Townsend Tactics Truck
Horrendous

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 10:28:18 am »
Ah you beat me to it big langer

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:42:21 am »
Yeah it’s funny, most people look at the abomination that was the tactics truck, and let it overshadow other parts. Like the backlash of it being shown earlier.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 10:44:52 am »
Townsends tactics truck, damn i thought people forgot that.

They talk about Gerrard's sending off here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Xk3D-Edn4eE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Xk3D-Edn4eE</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 12:53:53 pm »
What time did it used to be on, I can remember it was Saturday nights or something like that? Used to prefer this to MOTD.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 12:57:31 pm »
Think it was about 7.30, I’d just wait for the Sunday morning repeat at 9.30 and watch it in work.
AHA!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 01:06:36 pm »
Interesting discussion on the Football Cliches podcast (highly recommend) about the ongoing use of the word ‘Premiership’ despite it being called the Premier League for over a decade now. It was suggested that the turn of the century was a peak era for many followers of football with lots of casual followers getting more involved after the initial few years of the league and the TV revolution that ensued. Even ITV called it’s show ‘The Premiership’. As a result the term ‘Premiership’ became the common name for these fans even when it was rebranded as The Premier League. It’s pretty common to hear MPs and similar figures make this mistake.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 01:09:51 pm »
It was shit, i remember it being on 7pm Saturday evening, then a late night show, the first match of the season Bolton had battered Leicester 5-0 which only got brief highlights, from the 70 minute air time only 28 minutes of the actual match was shown, because of idiotic features, the 7pm show was dropped after 6 weeks, went to normal 10.30pm with a Sunday morning repeat.

ITV had a Monday night show, which was more of a premier league debate show
#Sausages

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 01:12:18 pm »
It was shit, i remember it being on 7pm Saturday evening, then a late night show, the first match of the season Bolton had battered Leicester 5-0 which only got brief highlights, from the 70 minute air time only 28 minutes of the actual match was shown, because of idiotic features, the 7pm show was dropped after 6 weeks, went to normal 10.30pm with a Sunday morning repeat.

I remember the debate show. Quite enjoyable - I was a student at the time so had time to indulge in such stuff.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 01:18:08 pm »

This is my memory too. REmember there being a huge fuss over them beating BBC to the contract, then it just looked like they didn't know what to do and ruffled something together last minute. Including picking up Des Lynham from some closet somewhere and thinking (because of euro 96 silliness and misty eyes) that he wasn't rubbish.  Although to be fair to Des, as overrated 'icons' go he's still miles off being as unwarranted as that shitebag John Motson who always seemed like he hadn't seen the sport played before (during commentary but even away from that time pressured environemnt).

It was substandard TV all round, at a point where it was hard to catch our games. Worst of all they showed less football.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:20:05 pm by Classycara »

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 01:19:58 pm »
My memories of this centre around what a terrible pundit Robbie Earle was.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 01:20:18 pm »
Interesting discussion on the Football Cliches podcast (highly recommend) about the ongoing use of the word ‘Premiership’ despite it being called the Premier League for over a decade now. It was suggested that the turn of the century was a peak era for many followers of football with lots of casual followers getting more involved after the initial few years of the league and the TV revolution that ensued. Even ITV called it’s show ‘The Premiership’. As a result the term ‘Premiership’ became the common name for these fans even when it was rebranded as The Premier League. It’s pretty common to hear MPs and similar figures make this mistake.
Only realised last year that it wasn't called Barclays Premier League anymore. Power of sponsorship ey

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 01:26:58 pm »
This is my memory too. REmember there being a huge fuss over them beating BBC to the contract, then it just looked like they didn't know what to do and ruffled something together last minute. Including picking up Des Lynham from some closet somewhere and thinking (because of euro 96 silliness and misty eyes) that he wasn't rubbish.  Although to be fair to Des, as overrated 'icons' go he's still miles off being as unwarranted as that shitebag John Motson who always seemed like he hadn't seen the sport played before (during commentary but even away from that time pressured environemnt).

It was substandard TV all round, at a point where it was hard to catch our games. Worst of all they showed less football.

Yep, main criticisms was they slowed so little highlights from the matches, reading the Wiki page, BBC showed 58 minutes of action from the matches the 00/01 season whilst ITV showed 28 minutes, largely down to spending far too much time on analysis & stupid gimmicks like Townsend's tactics truck, then ad in add breaks too, added that most people who'd want watch the highlights were still getting back home from the matches, or going on a Saturday night out.

MOTD suffers the same, with far to much idiotic inane analysis.
#Sausages

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 01:39:29 pm »
No memory of this whatsoever.

Makes me wonder what I was doing back in the late 90s and early 00s.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 01:56:12 pm »

Wasn't it called the premiership parliament or something  ;D
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 02:02:50 pm »
No memory of this whatsoever.

Makes me wonder what I was doing back in the late 90s and early 00s.
Probably neck deep in illicit substances like I was every weekend

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 02:58:52 pm »

Everyone listen to this.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 03:38:04 pm »

It's a bit like wrestling, loads still call it WWF even though it's not been known by that for 20 years.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 04:02:49 pm »
It's a bit like wrestling, loads still call it WWF even though it's not been known by that for 20 years.
I watch the WWF videos while eating my Opal Fruits and my Marathon chocolate bar.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 04:09:13 pm »
Too many adverts. I swear I remember they went to start a match and they went for one.

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 04:20:40 pm »
It was also shown a lot earlier wasn’t it? I’m sure it first aired early evening and then there was a bit of a backlash and got moved to the more traditional later night slot.

Plus everyone remembers Andy Townsend’s tactics truck. Think there’s an uncomfortable interview with Ugo Eghiogu as they analyse his red card in full detail. :D

I never understood the backlash about it. Because it’s not like the 10:30pm slot was gone. You had two choices.

It was a genius move. One of the reasons football isn’t usually shown on a Saturday night is because people are out. And is why MOTD has the morning replay.

You either had a choice. Catch up on the football at 7pm, then go out. Or if you went out early evening, you could be back in time for 10:30pm. Plus the Sunday morning showing too.

ITV granted, the lack of actual football, as well as dreadful punditry,  made the show awful to a lot of people. But they weren’t afraid to take risks.

I think what happened was

1. The bad PR as a result of their poor execution
2. The sheer blasphemy of taking away the rights from the BBC

…Led to them accepting defeat. By Christmas 2001, the public perception was already against them, because of those two factors. And they only had themselves to blame.

I think they accepted the game was up by the end of 2001, and just kept doing things the same way into the end of the contract for the next 3 years,  while raking in the advertising money.

Add to that, with ITV Digital collapsing there wasn’t much of a hunger to put The Premiership right. They were knocking it out of the park with their Champions League coverage, and just doubled down on that, rather than fix The Premiership, and just waited until the contract ran out and never speak of it again.

In a way I feel for them, because when you take something as sacred to the nation as MOTD away, you have a very thin tightrope to get it right. They had to be almost perfect. But because they executed it so badly, by Christmas 2001 4 months in, it was like the public perception was set in stone. And they just lost motivation to put it right.

If they got the rights again, and even if they tried to recapture the nostalgia by using the U2 theme, and actually put on a decent show with proper punditry and extensive highlights, as well as capture the “defund the bbc” crowd who are glad to see them lose MOTD, who knows maybe it could work. But that’s only because it’s been 20 years since, and enough time has passed.

But if they tried before that, it would of been hard to get the public on side. In 2014, there was rumours ITV were putting together a bid, and there was Twitter meltdowns with people sharing pictures of Andy Townsends tactics. 2014 was 10 years on since 2004, so it was still relatively fresh compared to 2024 when the next rights are up (a whole generation).

In summary, they dared to take risks, but once the public perception was against them, they gave up. Which is a shame as they still had 3 years to run. But it was always going to be hard convincing the public they could be better than MOTD. It was a thin tightrope, but their poor execution made that tightrope thinner.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 04:24:21 pm »
Did they have a show on saturday morning too, like football focus? Or am i imagining things
YNWA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 04:27:18 pm »
It was shite and a football highlights show shouldn't have ad breaks.

Also Andy's Tactics Truck sounded dodgy as fuck.

Offline ripsaw19

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 04:29:42 pm »
Just popped in to mention Andy Townsend's Tactics Truck and seen loads have beaten me to it! That and the theme song are all I really remember from that show. I do know they tried to buy the rights to the MOTD theme tune from the BBC, but were told exactly where to go.
ST Waiting List Position - 1556

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 04:31:51 pm »
I remember not liking it.

Me and my now missus moved in together early 94 and I soon got into the habit of recording MOTD and watching it after she'd gone to bed with a few [more] cans and smoke. When it moved to ITV, it just wasn't the same.

Last MOTD and I think there was a theatrical turning off of the lights. When BBC won the highlights back (because it tanked at ITV and they figured 'fuck this'), I recall the first show with the lights coming back on and Lineker making a smug comment.

What I do really still miss on ITV is their Champions League highlights show late on a Wednesday.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 04:36:47 pm »
Did they have a show on saturday morning too, like football focus? Or am i imagining things
Would have clashed with SMTV/CDUK.
AHA!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2021, 04:38:46 pm »

On The Ball?

With Gabby Logan and Barry Vennison I think! Possibly started prior to them getting the rights to the highlights I think.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 04:39:30 pm »
Would have clashed with SMTV/CDUK.

Nice to see Phil Jones and Harry Maguire keeping the Wonky Donkey flame still burning.

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2021, 04:41:10 pm »

Yeah it was called On the Ball. With Gabby Logan and Robbie Earle, (and I think even Townsend  :lmao )

They also made their own version of Final Score with the Goal Rush.

Both shows started the season they got The Premiership, and ended the same year too in 2004 I believe. They basically just tried to recreate everything the BBC did.

On On the Ball, they had a feature where they would show highlights of the last weekends games (60 seconds each game). They also went around Middlesbrough trying to get everyone in the city centre to pronounce Gaizka Mendieta when he signed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 04:44:35 pm by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 05:25:18 pm »
Adverts, tactic truck, awful pundits, more than enough bollocks in the noodles to heave on.
No time for caution.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2021, 05:30:52 pm »
Was my first introduction to football highlights too when I was about 11 or 12. That U2 tracks still makes me think of football every time I hear it.

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2021, 05:51:45 pm »
Was my first introduction to football highlights too when I was about 11 or 12. That U2 tracks still makes me think of football every time I hear it.

Glad to see I’m not the only one that was in a position of adjusting to MOTD a few years after getting into football. I still don’t watch it. Will always be The Premiership for me, or watching highlights of our games on LFC TV or YouTube, but that’s obviously rare as I watch us live.

I also think the MOTD tune is overrated, and despite being a better product than The Premiership, the U2 theme blows MOTD one out of the water. Only the Football Italia one, or the World Cup 2010 theme comes close.

I’d love ITV to buy back the rights just for the goosebumps I get from the theme :lmao (but accompanied by less ads and a better show of course)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 05:53:34 pm by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2021, 06:05:54 pm »
All the ad breaks didn't help and they put it on at like 7pm back when most matches kicked off at 3pm, so it was on too early if you'd been to the match, or just in the pub.

MOTD is garbage now anyway. Not helped by most matches being televised and usually just a few shit matches at 3pm.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2021, 06:10:08 pm »
Just popped in to mention Andy Townsend's Tactics Truck and seen loads have beaten me to it! That and the theme song are all I really remember from that show. I do know they tried to buy the rights to the MOTD theme tune from the BBC, but were told exactly where to go.

Didn’t know this. This would be like if the Super League got off the ground, and they asked UEFA for the Champions League tune or big ears.

The audacity is comical.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2021, 06:25:48 pm »
Townsends tactics truck, damn i thought people forgot that.

They talk about Gerrard's sending off here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Xk3D-Edn4eE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Xk3D-Edn4eE</a>

That tackle  :o Gerrard used to love those kind of ‘robust challenges’ at the start of his career. Dion Dublin even said Stevie was a bit unfortunate to get sent off, how times have changed!

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2021, 06:36:05 pm »
If I recall correctly the 7pm show was really roughly edited as they only had 2 hrs to turn it around after the games had finished. Pretty sure in the first ever episode they had some player scoring then later coming on as a sub or something weird like that. I could of course be talking sh*te.