Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3119101 times)

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - BEN THE BLADE
« Reply #120 on: August 6, 2021, 12:35:18 am »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #121 on: August 6, 2021, 12:57:05 am »
Messbappe in yet?

Double Swoop Impending. People are jetting in. Inquires are being made. Request to be kept informed are being proffered and accepted by all manner of representatives.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #122 on: August 6, 2021, 03:24:33 am »
I've had a wander about. Sadly every Liverpool sign has been clean and tidy
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #123 on: August 6, 2021, 05:28:27 am »
Messi is a wee fella, he aint blocking nothing.
He's not Luke Shaw.
Don't give United any ideas...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: August 6, 2021, 07:33:35 am »
Messbappe in yet?

Double Swoop Impending. People are jetting in. Inquires are being made. Request to be kept informed are being proffered and accepted by all manner of representatives.

Is it true that Messi has refused to turn up for training?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 6, 2021, 08:09:11 am »
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Ryan Gravenberch v Leeds

https://twitter.com/GoalFrance/status/1423259491269713924
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #126 on: August 6, 2021, 08:58:00 am »
We're not going to sign Messi but fucking hell, can you imagine what he would be like playing for Liverpool? I mean, we'd have to accept he won't do much defensive work but it would be such a thrill. Hope to fuck, he signs for Paris or someone like that and does not play in the premier league.

Like George Best signing for Hibs...an interesting historical footnote.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 6, 2021, 09:01:17 am »
Liverpool mailbag: Origi and Shaqiri’s futures, contract renewals and Elliott’s role this season

By James Pearce 3h ago

We asked for your questions and the Liverpool mailbag was soon bulging with more than 300 of them.

There was a common theme — transfers. Clearly, there’s concern over the lack of incomings this summer with £35 million centre-back Ibrahima Konate still the only new arrival at Anfield.

What’s likely to happen over the final month of the window, the situation with player contracts, how Liverpool will line up when the serious business starts and which youngsters are ready to make the breakthrough in 2021-22, all featured heavily. This is your mailbag…..

Do you think our current squad is good enough to win the Premier League? (Christopher M)

How are you feeling about squad depth at the moment? I’ve no doubt that we have a group of 14 or so players that no rival team can better but I must admit the large squads that City, Chelsea and even United have is a worry. Especially with AFCON this year… (Sam R)

I share your concern currently about whether Liverpool have sufficient depth in midfield and in the frontline. I think they need two more signings — a central midfielder and an attacker who can play through the middle. I know that Fabinho won’t be needed at centre-back this season, Jordan Henderson is fit again, Thiago is expected to be much more influential and Curtis Jones will have a bigger role to play. But Georginio Wijnaldum played so much football, I do think it would be a mistake not to replace him, especially with Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s previous injury issues.

Liverpool also need someone else to compete with the established front three and Diogo Jota. The drop off to Divock Origi and Takumi Minamino is too big. I also think some people are too quick to forget that this squad finished third despite an unprecedented injury crisis. With key personnel back fit Liverpool will be stronger this season, regardless of what business they do before the deadline. But I’d say they are still two signings away from giving me the belief that they can finish above Manchester City.

Who do you see being the centre-half partnership for the opening game against Norwich? (Johnny D)

As things stand I’d say Joel Matip and Ibrahima Konate. It’s great to see Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez back in action but I’m expecting their minutes to be increased slowly over the coming weeks after so long out. There’s no need to take any risks with them.

What is the plan with Ben Davies? Will they loan/sell him and sell Nat Phillips too? Seems like that would leave us short on centre-backs again. (Mike E)

Now Van Dijk and Gomez are back, Liverpool are prepared to let Davies leave. Last week they rejected an initial loan offer from Sheffield United, who wanted an option to buy him next summer. He’s also attracting interest from Celtic and Bournemouth.

As for Phillips, he’s available for around £12 million to £15 million. There have been plenty of enquiries but no firm offers to my knowledge. Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle and Southampton have all been in contact. If there’s an offer in the coming weeks which is right for the club and right for the player, Liverpool won’t stand in his way. If not, Klopp will happily keep him as back-up.

Personally, I’d like to see Phillips stay put but, if not, Klopp still has Rhys Williams and Billy Koumetio as well as his four frontline senior centre-backs which should be sufficient.

When are you going to announce Mbappe? (Michael C)

Could be a long wait for that one…..

Is the Wolves offer for Origi real or made up by internet ITKs? (Aman S)

In 2019 Origi signed a new long-term contract. Do you know how long it is and how would that influence the club’s valuation? (Ching Yat C)

Any update on Shaqiri and Origi potentially leaving? (Calum)

I was told this week that talk of Wolves bidding £10 million for Origi was utter nonsense. He’s someone they have pursued previously but there’s been no recent approach. Wolves actually agreed a £22 million fee with Liverpool in 2018 but the player didn’t want to go there. Origi’s current deal runs until 2024. Liverpool are open to offers. Back in January they were after £20 million for the Belgium international but I think they would take £15 million now.

Xherdan Shaqiri is keen to leave and Liverpool will grant him his wish if they get a suitable offer. He’s valued at around £12 million. Lazio and Napoli are keen and Michael Edwards has also previously fielded interest from Sevilla and Villarreal.

Does Jordan Henderson get a new deal or will he leave this/next summer? (Tahir I)

I certainly don’t see a situation where Henderson leaves this summer. What happens beyond then is unclear. Ideally, he would have had a new contract sorted going into the new season but, as The Athletic revealed recently, talks over an extension just haven’t progressed. It’s a tricky one and I can see it from both sides. Henderson’s current deal takes him up to the age of 33 in 2023. The reality for Liverpool is that they have bigger priorities currently – underlined by securing Trent Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho and Alisson on new contracts over the past week.

But Henderson has been so crucial to the success Liverpool have enjoyed in recent years and I still believe he’s got so much to offer at the highest level. Sometimes there’s so much focus on his leadership that his qualities as an elite midfielder are overlooked. I’d love to see him stay at Anfield until the day he hangs up his boots.

What I would say is that for Henderson, this isn’t about money, this is about feeling wanted. He wants Liverpool to see him as still being absolutely integral to the team beyond 2023. Clearly, what’s currently on the table doesn’t suggest that’s the case. It’s going to be interesting to see how things develop.

Is Keita staying for another year? What’s the point though? He only has a year left after this season. His market value is only going to plummet unless he shows a phenomenal performance throughout the year. Are Liverpool really banking on that? (Anfield K)

Yes, unless there’s a dramatic change of heart, Keita is staying put. He has looked very sharp in pre-season. The big question is whether he can stay fit and belatedly show us all on a consistent basis what we know he’s capable of. I can see the club’s logic. He cost £52.75 million. If Liverpool had tried to sell him this summer in the current COVID-affected market they would have been lucky to get £15 million for him. That would have been a hefty loss and Klopp genuinely still believes in him. Keita himself hasn’t shown any interest in wanting to move. He’s happy at Liverpool. He wants to prove himself.

Yes, his current deal only runs until 2023, but if he shines this season he will still be worth a lot more next summer than he was this summer. He might even earn himself a new contract. This season really is make-or-break for him at Anfield.

Kaide Gordon looks to have impressed and caught the eye in pre-season. Are there any young players we should look out for this coming season? Who could possibly feature in the domestic cups? (Craig G)

Gordon is still only 16 but he’s definitely one to watch. I can see him making a senior debut this season in the League Cup. Owen Beck, Tyler Morton, Conor Bradley and Mateusz Musialowski will also be in the mix. James Balagizi wasn’t involved with the senior squad in pre-season due to injury but I really like him. He’s got everything you’d want in a central midfielder and I’m excited about his potential.

Do you think Klopp will try a formation with a back three while using Robbo and TAA as wing-backs? Or do you think he’ll stick to his 4-3-3? (Marc S)

Klopp does like having the element of surprise but I’d be amazed if he shifted to a back three this season. If he tweaks his 4-3-3, I think we’re more likely to see 4-2-3-1 or even the 4-2-4 we saw on occasions last season. Liverpool’s best XI for me based on current personnel when everyone is fit includes a midfield three of Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago with Salah, Jota and Mane in the frontline.

How will the homegrown player rule affect Liverpool’s transfer strategy? (Stephen F)

It is a factor as each Premier League club can only register up to 17 non-homegrown players in their squad of 25. Liverpool currently have the full quota. That’s why further outgoings before there are any more incomings isn’t just about money, it’s also about making space.

What will be the front three against Norwich? (Karan N)

I’m going for Salah, Mane and Jota. Roberto Firmino has obviously only just returned for pre-season and I don’t see him being an automatic starter anymore given the downturn in his output last season and the impact of Jota.

After Alisson, which contract extension is the most likely to be agreed next? (Kraig W)

There are a few in the pipeline. I can see Van Dijk being next. Liverpool are also looking to tie down Salah, Mane and Andy Robertson. Salah is the big one for me. His record is sensational and if Liverpool can get him to put pen to paper then it would be a massive boost. You don’t want him entering his final year next summer.

Didn’t the club state that the RedBird investment would help them function as normal throughout this transfer window? Other clubs are strengthening and we’re falling behind. (Keshav G)

Just to be clear, RedBird bought 10 per cent of FSG, not 10 per cent of Liverpool FC. I was told that investment would help the club absorb the impact of the pandemic, which had seen revenues dip by more than £120 million, and also enable the club to push on with the redevelopment of the Anfield Road End. That’s been the case. It was never going to lead to a massive transfer kitty.

Liverpool’s net spend a year ago was around £30 million, with about £50 million of their £80 million outlay recouped by sales. So far this summer they have spent £35 million on Konate and sold £30 million worth of talent, although Fulham won’t start repaying the £12 million for Harry Wilson until 2022. It might not be the kind of expenditure a lot of fans want to see but new deals for key players also don’t come cheap. Player retention is a big part of Michael Edwards’ work this summer.

Is there any future plan for a squad overhaul with the ageing squad? (Magnus S)

Yes, there’s an acceptance among the club’s hierarchy that the squad needs to be refreshed. I’d expect that process to really step up a gear in 2022. They can’t allow too many of the players to grow old together. That was one of the factors in letting Wijnaldum leave for nothing. The overhaul needs to happen gradually. For example, you can’t find yourself in a position where you are trying to replace all the front three around the same time.

You’ve mentioned it’s unrealistic to expect all of the front three to have their contracts renewed and that Mane and Salah are both in line for extensions. Does that mean we should expect this to be Firmino’s final season at the club? (Jack S)

The front three are all 29 and their current deals run until they are 31. You can’t commit vast sums of cash to keep them all until they are 33 or 34. Salah is the priority and then Mane. I think Liverpool will do everything they possibly can to get Salah to sign a new deal. If he doesn’t then you either have to consider selling him next summer or accept you run the risk of losing him for nothing in 2023. Firmino is clearly the most vulnerable. His contribution did dip significantly last season. What happens with him depends to a large extent whether Salah and Mane sign, and whether he gets back to his best in 2021-22.

Do you see Harvey Elliott staying at Liverpool this season or loaned out? If he’s going to stay, where do you see him playing? (James P)

Elliott will stay put. He’s been great in pre-season. Klopp loves versatility in players and that’s why he’s experimented with the 18-year-old in an advanced midfield role. He can play there but I still think we’re more likely to see him being used as an impact sub playing wide in the front three.

What are the chances of us landing Saul in your opinion James? (Muhammad B)

Unless there’s a change of heart from Liverpool, I can’t see it. He’s been offered around to a host of clubs but his wage demands are massive.

When is Thiago back in training? (Darren A)

Klopp hopes to have him back in full training early next week. He reported back for pre-season with a minor issue.

Are Liverpool looking to sign Jonathan David or Renato Sanches from Lille? (Mike E)

As I reported last summer, David was on Liverpool’s shortlist when they signed Jota. The third name was Ismaila Sarr. I’m sure they have continued to monitor David’s progress but I’m not aware of any fresh approach. I reported recently that West Ham’s Jarrod Bowen was also under consideration when it came to attacking targets. As for Sanches, whenever he’s been linked Liverpool have distanced themselves from that speculation.

Is it true you are a black belt in Kung Fu? (Alexander J)

That is wide of the mark.

Any shot at Harry Kane? (Mike P)

Absolutely no chance. Daniel Levy wants £150 million for a 28-year-old and then you’ve got crazy wages on top. That’s not a deal for Liverpool.

Any chance Tsimikas starts a few PL games this season? (Athan M)

Yes. There’s a belief among the staff that the Greece international will be much better equipped to ease the burden on Robertson this season. It was a tough first year for him at Liverpool with the injuries and struggling to adapt to what Klopp demanded from him. Defensively, he still needs to improve but there have been some promising signs.

I know COVID-19 has had an impact but the club must have money to spend. Sponsorships abound, we won the Champions League and the Premier League. The team hasn’t evolved or been properly invested in. Why do FSG never speculate to accumulate? (Mark D)

I’d say the team has evolved to a degree. Jota and Thiago arrived last summer and I’d have both of them in Liverpool’s best starting XI. The priority this summer was another centre-half and Konate ticked that box. I understand the current sense of frustration at the lack of incomings but the accounts are there for all to see. Liverpool’s wage bill has rocketed to £325 million.

The business model is very different to say Manchester City or Chelsea. FSG don’t take any money out of the club but neither do they put money in. You could argue that having turned a £300 million investment into one worth around £3 billion, they should do. But I think the time to properly assess this transfer window is when it has closed. A lot can change between now and deadline day.

Which club does the best food in the press room? Did Wigan just give you a pie? (Lee C)

The last time I went to Wigan there were a selection of pies in the press room with a helpful colour-coded guide on the wall telling you what flavours were on offer. Glorious.

The best Premier League clubs in terms of hospitality for the media are Chelsea and Arsenal. Tottenham and Leicester City complete my top four. Those perks bit the dust when football returned behind closed doors after the first lockdown. The only treats over the past 18 months have involved the Echo’s Ian Doyle dishing out Club biscuits at half-time.

Typically, Liverpool like to get their business done early. Klopp has spoken about getting new signings in for pre-season. But last year Jota and Thiago signed in mid-September and then in January both Davies and Kabak came in very late. So far this summer we have only signed Konate. Why the shift in approach? (Luke M)

The financial impact of the pandemic. Transfers come down to availability and affordability. Over the past year the landscape hasn’t been clear for Liverpool until the back end of the transfer windows. Sometimes you have to bide your time in order to get the deal you want. That’s what happened last year with the structure of the deals they agreed for Thiago and Jota.

Do you envisage Liverpool signing anyone else in this window? (Ben H)

It depends what else happens in terms of outgoings. Clearly, if Shaqiri and Origi both leave then Liverpool will need to sign an attacking player. I hope they also bring in a central midfielder.

Last pre-season you were obviously spot on about needing another centre-back unfortunately, do you think the forward situation at the moment is equally as precarious? (Mark)

I definitely think it’s an area of the squad that needs to be reinforced. Elliott will have a role to play this season and he’s such a gifted young player. That loan at Blackburn did him the world of good. But it’s the lack of options through the middle that worries me. Liverpool need another No 9. They need an upgrade on Origi. I’d love to be proved wrong but I do fear that Firmino’s best days are behind him.

https://theathletic.com/2751277/2021/08/05/liverpool-mailbag-origi-and-shaqiris-futures-contract-renewals-and-elliotts-role-this-season/?source=emp_shared_article

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 6, 2021, 09:37:05 am »
Jaysus. Pretty sure 90% of the people on this thread could do a James Pearce ask me anything. He knows as much as us - shite all.  He'd fit right in around here.

Wonder what his pun game is like...

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 6, 2021, 09:38:18 am »
So while the sign Messi mania is in full swing - I think we should go all out and sign Frenkie De Jong - and give him shirt 23 so we can move Shaqiri on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibn5STF9gjM

Barca still need to clear wages and get 200M in transfer fees before they can register new players De Pay and Aguero - this would help Barca and really improve our midfield

I really want us to sell & replace Origi with an up and coming young attacker. He also needs a new challenge

« Last Edit: August 6, 2021, 09:40:15 am by dutchkop »

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 6, 2021, 09:53:50 am »
So while the sign Messi mania is in full swing - I think we should go all out and sign Frenkie De Jong - and give him shirt 23 so we can move Shaqiri on.

Barca still need to clear wages and get 200M in transfer fees before they can register new players De Pay and Aguero - this would help Barca and really improve our midfield

I really want us to sell & replace Origi with an up and coming young attacker. He also needs a new challenge
Isnt he on something like 400k a week?

Pedri could be the better option considering his wage.

De Jong is brillant as well just the his wages are huge

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 6, 2021, 09:57:00 am »

I've seen it cited that Coutinho is on 8m/year, so I suspect the numbers I saw were net after tax. De Jong's on around twice Coutinho's wage.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 6, 2021, 09:57:33 am »
There are two points from the Pearce Q/A that jump out:

1. The wage bill has literally rocketed. That's never happened to us before and it's what needs to happen to transition to a true 'overdog' type club.
2. Thiago and Jota really do make the 1st choice eleven now.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: August 6, 2021, 10:02:02 am »

Is that still the case? I thought they needed to shift that level of money to resign Messi?
Great if true. Hopefully that is why we have been quiet, know Lijnders loves De Jong and Pedri 😁 Maybe stuff would move after the final in Saturday

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #134 on: August 6, 2021, 10:06:43 am »

1. The wage bill has literally rocketed. That's never happened to us before and it's what needs to happen to transition to a true 'overdog' type club.

3. He’s not a Black Belt in Kung Fu.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #135 on: August 6, 2021, 10:13:42 am »
Jaysus. Pretty sure 90% of the people on this thread could do a James Pearce ask me anything. He knows as much as us - shite all.  He'd fit right in around here.

Wonder what his pun game is like...

Took me about 4 seconds to scroll past that article. People pay to read him answer questions any fan could answer? Mad  :D

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 6, 2021, 10:15:42 am »

I dont think we sign anyone else this summer.

Seems the budget is being spent on contracts & we wont get much more money in most likely.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #137 on: August 6, 2021, 10:17:05 am »
Took me about 4 seconds to scroll past that article. People pay to read him answer questions any fan could answer? Mad  :D

I actually think for a decent amount of posters in this thread they're probably valuable replies :D

'No, we didnt reject £20 million for Origi  ::)'

'No, we're not signing Mbappe  ::)'

'No, we're not releasing Shaq on a free  ::)'

'No, we're not selling Henderson this summer  ::)'
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #138 on: August 6, 2021, 10:44:58 am »
3. He’s not a Black Belt in Kung Fu.
Wonder what belt he actually is eh?

Who ya reckon would win in a fight between James and Bruce Lee?

Sayin that Bruce does Karate and everyone knows Karate is the best one. Either way im goin for James. Reckon hed just sit on him

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 6, 2021, 10:45:47 am »

Also he thinks Firmino best days are behind and he lowest priority on resigning. Which makes sense he it been suspected with his heavy pressing he is the most likely to age poorly. Salah should age well, Mane has a good chance too also.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #140 on: August 6, 2021, 10:47:26 am »
I actually think for a decent amount of posters in this thread they're probably valuable replies :D

'No, we didnt reject £20 million for Origi  ::)'

'No, we're not signing Mbappe  ::)'

'No, we're not releasing Shaq on a free  ::)'

'No, we're not selling Henderson this summer  ::)'
I'd agree.
Repetition of Mane and Salah being the ones offered new contracts as well (he was the first to say it a week or two ago).
There was a great article on the Athletic last week by the reporter for Man City explaining the challenges they face when reporting in transfers. One being that they very rarely hear from the "main players" (like Edwards) until everything is done and dusted but there are usually signs from other areas and people saying "x" will happen and that he had missed out on scoops or gone too early because he had trusted the wrong people or not trusted the right people.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 6, 2021, 10:49:28 am »
The problem with going for any Barca player is that they've recklessly thrown fees and wages around to get the exact players they want, and given out huge wage bumps for contract extensions due to the Messi effect. There really isn't anyone you could get from them who wouldn't want wages similar to what we'll be offering Salah. Other players in the squad might see Salah being paid more than them and think "well fair enough, he scores a ton every season", but if they see a new, unproven player come in and get more money than them immediately they might suddenly be looking for parity.

Also he thinks Firmino best days are behind and he lowest priority on resigning. Which makes sense he it been suspected with his heavy pressing he is the most likely to age poorly. Salah should age well, Mane has a good chance too also.

Disagree on Firmino's best days being behind him, he's not hugely reliant on pace and we can't really read much into his form last season due to the crazy circumstances. I think we're just looking to offer him an extension last because he's a level below our other forwards.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2021, 10:52:05 am by Schmidt »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #142 on: August 6, 2021, 10:49:54 am »

Who ya reckon would win in a fight between James and Bruce Lee?

Andy@Allerton

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #143 on: August 6, 2021, 10:53:46 am »
The problem with going for any Barca player is that they've recklessly thrown fees and wages around to get the exact players they want, and given out huge wage bumps for contract extensions due to the Messi effect. There really isn't anyone you could get from them who wouldn't want wages similar to what we'll be offering Salah. Other players in the squad might see Salah being paid more than them and think "well fair enough, he scores a ton every season", but if they see a new, unproven player come in and get more money than them immediately they might suddenly be looking for parity.

Yeah people keep talking about De Jong, but he's apparently on something mental like £250k a week.

The players they'll be wanting to keep will be the ones on lower wages and high talent, like Fati and Pedri.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #144 on: August 6, 2021, 10:55:20 am »
Don't give United any ideas...

Well, to be honest, Luke Shaw IS left footed....
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 6, 2021, 11:00:30 am »
Ideally you would want to watch Barca sink under the weight of their own stone. The longer this drags on, the more likely they will be forced to sell their younger talent for transfer fees to keep their club intact. Not even talking about De Jong, but even the likes of Pedri and Fati.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility, even with Messi off the books they are still well above the break even line.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 6, 2021, 11:02:00 am »
Just thinking about the Origi situation. I find it very strange. Surely he knows he is never going to be a first choice regular( or does he think when the top 3 retire then he will automatically get a spot?). He must  want to play for a club where he will be playing every week? If he doesn’t leave this window I will be extremely surprised.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 6, 2021, 11:07:21 am »
Yeah people keep talking about De Jong, but he's apparently on something mental like £250k a week.

The players they'll be wanting to keep will be the ones on lower wages and high talent, like Fati and Pedri.

he may be a lot less  175K as he accepted a reduction this last year (like a few of the players) - I posted a salary list in Barca thread.
worth having a look if we are looking for the next level midfielder & text his ambition.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #148 on: August 6, 2021, 11:10:36 am »

Yeah, the ones I would like to see us after would be Fati and Pedri. Potentially lower wages.
The only slight issue is that these are likely to be "forced" sales and do you want a player(s) that every summer there is likely to be the "back to Barca" stuff.
Granted we would probably make a mint if then if that happened though 😁

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 6, 2021, 11:10:44 am »

Yeah, as much as I'd love to see us take advantage of Barca I think taking their players would ultimately help them. Maybe, maybe we could get some ridiculous deal for Griezmann where they pay a chunk of his wages ala Suarez to Atletico, but I really doubt it.

Griezmanns injury history though, holy fuck. Transfermarkt has 3 injuries in 5 seasons listed and nothing before that.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 6, 2021, 11:11:42 am »
Just thinking about the Origi situation. I find it very strange. Surely he knows he is never going to be a first choice regular( or does he think when the top 3 retire then he will automatically get a spot?). He must  want to play for a club where he will be playing every week? If he doesn’t leave this window I will be extremely surprised.
I think he loves playing for the club and seems content with his bit-part role. He's had a couple of underwhelming loans, he rejected a move to Wolves in 2018 (which worked out well for us in the end), and there has never been any suggestion that he's actively been seeking a move.

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #151 on: August 6, 2021, 11:30:24 am »
On the James Pearce piece, I just find it hard to reconcile statements that the owners don't put anything in to the club (beyond what we bring in) whilst stating that the owners know they need to refresh the squad (likely next summer) - as surely that refresh is going to require them to put money into the club (unless they expect to sell the likes of Salah etc to fund this, which isn't likely)?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 6, 2021, 11:31:37 am »
Or we promote from the cohort of younger players.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #153 on: August 6, 2021, 11:42:18 am »
I'd prefer to be a squad option at Liverpool than a guaranteed starter for the likes of Burnley. The season he had in 18/19 is infinitely more fulfilling than anything he would've have at a mid table club. The problem he has now is that he is being used less frequently, so it's unlikely he'll ever repeat those moments.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 6, 2021, 12:00:42 pm »
On the James Pearce piece, I just find it hard to reconcile statements that the owners don't put anything in to the club (beyond what we bring in) whilst stating that the owners know they need to refresh the squad (likely next summer) - as surely that refresh is going to require them to put money into the club (unless they expect to sell the likes of Salah etc to fund this, which isn't likely)?

Clearly in that same article the focus is to give Salah a new contract.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 6, 2021, 12:01:23 pm »
Or we promote from the cohort of younger players.

We can definitely promote some of them, Elliott looks really promising, I really like the look of Clarkson, Balagizi & Gordon, Bradley & Beck look decent

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
« Reply #156 on: August 6, 2021, 12:02:46 pm »
I'd prefer to be a squad option at Liverpool than a guaranteed starter for the likes of Burnley. The season he had in 18/19 is infinitely more fulfilling than anything he would've have at a mid table club. The problem he has now is that he is being used less frequently, so it's unlikely he'll ever repeat those moments.

You want your squad players to show ambition and will to impact the game when they come in. What's the point of bringing Origi in if you know he's not gonna score because every time he plays he looks uninterested.

He is the most pointless player to keep in the squad currently and if he's blocking a transfer of a non-homegrown player then I wouldn't even register him for the league squad and buy a much needed CM/forward anyway.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 6, 2021, 12:04:07 pm »

He’s had the absolute peak moments though hasn’t he? will he ever repeat that type of moment again? he’s got 7-8 years left as a footballer, I’d rather be playing as the main #9 than get 5 minute cameo appearances now

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 6, 2021, 12:07:42 pm »
Andy@Allerton

:lmao

You’ve been on the media and arts board too I see

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: August 6, 2021, 12:16:34 pm »
You would assume so because even if they were planning on selling a player to fund it, who is going to have value? Trent, Alisson? Never going to happen. Salah and Mane will be 30 on big wages, don't see us getting much for them.
Thats why I think they will be more active over the next few weeks. Clubs are desperate and so players will be cheaper. Also, we constantly hear that the players we need to improve our team are few and far between so with Barca and RM out of the running and all the other clubs to big spends, isn't it a good time to get them in?