Author Topic: The Totally Football Show - free podcast with James Richardson & friends...  (Read 37141 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Where is the "Unbelievable Zis" clip in the World Cup program intro from? Been driving me nuts for a month trying to figure out where it originates from.

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
I have enjoyed listening to this every morning while the cup has been on, really helps get you into it.

Also, well done Sasha, great contributions throughout.

Oh, thank you! :)

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Where is the "Unbelievable Zis" clip in the World Cup program intro from? Been driving me nuts for a month trying to figure out where it originates from.
All revealed at the end of the final podcast. (and on Twitter earlier)
It's a completely random piece of... chess commentary.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
All revealed at the end of the final podcast. (and on Twitter earlier)
It's a completely random piece of... chess commentary.

:lmao I was planning to listen to the final podcast on the drive home so I'll check it out later

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great last pod of the world cup! Hilarious to hear the original piece of chess commentary  :D

Just saw this article about Totally Football Show and Jimbo that was in the New York Times of all places the other day. Think it nailed for me what I like about Jimbo - he always sets the tone just perfectly between 'serious, intelligent football program' and 'none of this is important' perfectly

Letter of Recommendation: ‘The Totally Football Show With James Richardson’

Now that the World Cup in Russia is more than half over and the prospect of waiting another four years for the tournament to come round again is stretching out ahead of me like a Siberian steppe, I have begun to feel pre-emptive nostalgia for the games that remain. On the one hand, I badly want to know how this story will end. On the other, I want to go on enjoying the tingling suspense, the anxious happiness, of not knowing.

The only thing I won’t miss is the punditry. Is there anything worse, anything less conducive to the enjoyment and understanding of the beautiful game, than a round table of former professionals braying platitudes at one another beneath the unforgiving lights of a TV studio? Michael Owen, a striker of genius, could pick the lock of the stingiest defense during his prime in the 1990s and 2000s, but as a broadcaster he is always running into trouble with words. “You need people who score goals,” Owen once remarked in deadly earnest during a halftime segment. “That’s how you win games.” Or again: “If there’s a bit of rain about, it makes the surface wet.” Owen’s “analysis” is almost surreal in its redundancy, but most of the commentary issuing from our screens these past few weeks has hardly been much better.

James Richardson, the host of “The Totally Football Show With James Richardson,” a biweekly podcast, is that rare thing: a soccer pundit who doesn’t make you want to cover your ears. Richardson, an affable, quick-witted Londoner, is not like most people in the business. That is to say, he is not wooden, self-serious, domineering or grandiose. Neither is he an ex-pro, and his wry, expansive, often very funny musings on the game are consequently free of the player-pundit’s tunnel vision. Richardson regularly breaks the fourth wall of sportscasting, acknowledging the existence of a larger world beyond soccer. “Like George W. Bush with a model-plane kit,” he once said in a typical piece of repartee before a much-anticipated game, “you’ll be glued to the box.”

Richardson uses words impishly, rhyming, punning and twisting idioms at a prodigious rate. He began the first episode of “The Totally Football Show” devoted to the current World Cup with the phrase, “Yipeey ki-yay, Mother Russia!” and proceeded to describe the host nation, which drubbed Saudi Arabia 5-0 in the opening match, as tearing into its opponent’s half of the field “like it was Ukraine sovereign territory.” The intentionally overblown analogy, a hallmark of the way Richardson and his stable of eloquent and well-informed guests speak, only slightly exaggerates the language of conventional soccer chat, a grating synthesis of overwrought martial imagery and patronizing corporate hype.

Richardson got his start in the early 1990s, when he lucked into a job as the host of “Football Italia,” the first show to air Italian domestic soccer in Britain, after Paul Gascoigne, the mercurial English midfielder who had agreed to be the presenter, stopped turning up for work. (Like a natural-born striker, he has a gift for being in the right place at the right time.) The show’s linking sequences, which featured Richardson eating elaborate desserts and reading the newspaper in sun-dazzled piazzas, gave it an unbuttoned, off-duty feel. Instead of treating soccer like a blood sport, he assumed the attitude of an aesthete, savoring ironies, tracking subplots on and off the field and in general doing his best to show the viewer a good time. You can still hear the warmth and languor of Italy in Richardson’s voice.

Given all these deviations from the norm, it might be tempting to call Richardson an anti-pundit, but that sounds altogether too effortful for a man who embodies the ideal of sprezzatura. “Pundit-satirist” might be nearer the mark, for Richardson’s distinct charm lies in his recognition of the inherent absurdity of what he does for a living. Most people who get paid to talk about soccer in public — to trot out the old chestnuts about players taking their chances and giving 110 percent — deliver their opinions in a tone pitched somewhere between that of an irascible headmaster and a time-strapped auctioneer. Richardson, by contrast, speaks with the breezy spontaneity of someone who knows that nothing, or nothing more serious than entertainment, is really at stake. It is not that he lacks passion — his speech crackles with exclamations of delight: “Woof!” “Wow!” “Mmmm!” “Tasty!” Rather, to adapt a phrase of Geoff Dyer’s, he has mastered the trick of sounding 100 percent ironic and 100 percent sincere at the same time.

In all likelihood, this year’s World Cup final will turn out to be another low-scoring foul-fest, like Italy ’90 or U.S.A. ’94 or South Africa 2010 — or come to think of it, just about every final I have been alive to witness — but, as of this writing, I can still dream of a 4-3 victory for England over Portugal, in which Harry Kane scores the winning goal, a bicycle kick from the edge of the penalty area, in the last minute of extra time and Cristiano Ronaldo is sent off for repeated diving, starts to cry and then trips over his feet as he walks from the field. Whatever happens, it is comforting to know that Richardson will be there at the final whistle with his quips and puns to put the whole harrying joy of soccer fandom into perspective and ease the arrival of the footballing winter to come.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/magazine/letter-of-recommendation-the-totally-football-show-with-james-richardson.html

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
Very enjoyable, these. Well in Sash!
@JonnYNWA

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness

The one that confuses me is where the 'Oh my God and it's ? ? ?' commentary comes from.  I thought it was from the Germany 7-1 Brazil from 2014 but I don't think so.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The one that confuses me is where the 'Oh my God and it's ? ? ?' commentary comes from.  I thought it was from the Germany 7-1 Brazil from 2014 but I don't think so.

That's actually Stan Collymore believe it or not - Here is the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=yzvQCbdAIZQ

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
That's actually Stan Collymore believe it or not - Here is the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=yzvQCbdAIZQ

Thank you!! Knew I heard it but couldn't place it. Driving me crazy that.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
On the Preview show, Julien Laurens characterizes Richarlison as the worst buy of the season and Fabinho as the best. Also seriously dislikes Hodgson, but didn't explain why.

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
From Stamford Bridge to Ufa via the German Cup, lit up by Kyrgyzstan’s very own VItalij Lux.
https://audioboom.com/posts/6977441-buzz-cuts-bitter-brews-and-bashkortostan
(James, Sash, Michael Cox & Carl Anka)
PS And I got a prediction right!

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Totally Football Show - free podcast with James Richardson & friends...
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 06:28:29 pm »
Today’s Totally Football Show.
https://audioboom.com/posts/7010457-stressing-the-second-syllable
(James, Sash, Daniel Storey & Ian Irving)
Felt like we covered literally loads. Props to Producer Ben for condensing this down to an hour.

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2018, 01:11:10 pm »
Melissa Reddy on the latest TFS
https://audioboom.com/posts/7018990-filial-pride
(also with James,Rafa Honigstein, Michael Cox and Adam Bate)

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2018, 01:26:24 pm »
All about podcasts on The Premier League Show tonight (BBC Two, 10 pm)

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

James Richardson: “As much as podcasts have grown I think we are still very much at the tip of the iceberg in terms of their potential”...

https://forlackofabetterreview.com/2018/10/03/james-richardson-as-much-as-podcasts-have-grown-i-think-we-are-still-very-much-at-the-tip-of-the-iceberg-in-terms-of-their-potential/
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Monday's pod:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7037172-very-friedrich-the-great
(James, Sash, Michael Cox, Daniel Storey)

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
First time I’ve heard Benji Lanado on this, if I ever see he’s on it again, I’ll not waste my time.
AHA!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
First time I’ve heard Benji Lanado on this, if I ever see he’s on it again, I’ll not waste my time.

Yeah. Basically sucked City's cock, called Fabinho "an awful player" and tried to suggest that Liverpool's front three don't track back. Clueless.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Who is Benji Lanyado? Never heard of him.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2018, 11:36:06 am by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
He was appalling.

More Mel please.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
They have a range of guests and that's it's problem as well as it's forte. Unfortunately you'll get 1 or 2 you can't stand with that.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
It wasn’t even his opinions that annoyed me, as bad as they were, he just wouldn’t let anyone else get a word in. I genuinely thought he was that Moose dickhead from TalkShite until I looked up his name.
AHA!

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
That Benji was also claiming his uncle invented the Season Result Comparison Stats system (no idea if he was joking or not, but didn't sound like it).
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Haven't heard it yet and I will probably give it a pass after reading this stuff here. Checked his twitter and in a tweet of his the first two responses, he is getting shit from people. Hahaha.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
What was Daniel Storey on about? "Everton were at least deserving a draw, they were better than Liverpool, Mane had 4-5 chances alone". Fucking hell. Imagine thinking a team were better than another one when said team created fuck all in the second half or had less chances in total.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What was Daniel Storey on about? "Everton were at least deserving a draw, they were better than Liverpool, Mane had 4-5 chances alone". Fucking hell. Imagine thinking a team were better than another one when said team created fuck all in the second half or had less chances in total.

its the narrative that was spun ahead of time - by not playing like utter shit and keeping it level = Everton were better and deserved a draw.

stunned that it hasn't morphed into = everton deserved to win

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Julien Laurens talks about PSG the same way Ty talks about Arsenal

Pointless trying to get him to be remotely critical about anything about them. Completely ignores how shite they were at Anfield.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Mourinho says he hasn't got any mad dogs which is strange as he likes a bitch after the game.  ;D

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Julien Laurens talks about PSG the same way Ty talks about Arsenal

Pointless trying to get him to be remotely critical about anything about them. Completely ignores how shite they were at Anfield.
You can hear him crying inside whenever someone mentions them blowing the game vs Barca a few years ago. Think that broke him to be honest.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Mourinho says he hasn't got any mad dogs which is strange as he likes a bitch after the game.  ;D
Wrong thread? [emoji16]

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Wrong thread? [emoji16]

Ha ha, that was one of James Richardson's lines ;D Shame Daniel Story couldn't come up with nearly anything as insightful.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Ha ha, that was one of James Richardson's lines ;D Shame Daniel Story couldn't come up with nearly anything as insightful.
Oh of course. Now I remembered.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2018, 09:15:08 am »
Like a man running out of toilet paper, Claudio Ranieri’s got a massive job on his hands.

:lmao
AHA!

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2018, 10:27:49 am »
A big old pod this week (James, Sash*, Coxy, Ian + Alvaro & Horncastle on the phone)
https://audioboom.com/posts/7112597-this-does-not-slip
*went to Bournemouth-Liverpool & Chelsea-City but, sadly, couldn’t make it to Madrid.

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Rekindling the spirit of the World Cup with a midweek post-match pod, though, obviously, this was much bigger than the World Cup. (1st 15 on City-Liverpool)
Plus transfers, the league round-up & la Coupe de France.
https://audioboom.com/posts/7132420-interspecies-romance
or
http://playpodca.st/TotallyFootball
(AC Jimbo + Lynsey Hooper, Tom Williams, James Horncastle & Sash)
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 08:34:38 am by Pata »

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
The latest pod:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7149674-get-a-room
or
(with James, Natalie Gedra, Michael Cox)
Oh, I think we did really well. This episode also finds me wandering around the great empty expanses of Kyrgyzstan in the name of the Asian Cup.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
The latest pod:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7149674-get-a-room
or
(with James, Natalie Gedra, Michael Cox)
Oh, I think we did really well. This episode also finds me wandering around the great empty expanses of Kyrgyzstan in the name of the Asian Cup.

Loved your Asia cup summary!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
Loved your Asia cup summary!
I gained a new found love for Kyrgyzstan (yes I looked up how to spell that!) only to find they were knocked out by UAE later that day!  ;D

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Need to get on this, read Michael Cox's book The Mixer was a really good read. Provides a good insight into the early years of the Prem.