Author Topic: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)  (Read 19448 times)

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Re: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2018, 08:33:15 am »
Finished it myself last night. Brilliant

Wide open for next series and a guaranteed 4th Season

Spoiler
Out of the main characters I was surprised only Lord Aethelwold got killed off in this last season the devious one eyed bastard he was but he really did HAVE to go.

Loads of Wrong un's made it through to series 4.  Danes: Cnut and Haestan.  Saxons: Lord Aethelhelm, Lord Aethelred of the Mercians and Bishop Erkenwald.  I look forward to the demise of all of these swines.

Now Thyra is no more I reckon Father Beocca is gonna turn into an Axe wielding maniac :)
[close]

Spoiler
Well, I guess they can't kill everyone off!  ;D They'll otherwise have too many new characters to introduce the following season. Aethelwold's death was deeply satisfying, of that I am in agreement. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that season 4 is almost certain to happen, so that's good news.

I suppose next season is set up for Uhtred fighting by Edward's side against the Danes led by Cnut and Heston while at the same time fighting off enemies from within like Aethelred and Aethelhelm. I also have the sneaking suspicion that Aethelred will meet his demise at the hands of none other than Aldhelm.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2018, 10:50:38 am »
Spoiler
Well, I guess they can't kill everyone off!  ;D They'll otherwise have too many new characters to introduce the following season. Aethelwold's death was deeply satisfying, of that I am in agreement. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that season 4 is almost certain to happen, so that's good news.

I suppose next season is set up for Uhtred fighting by Edward's side against the Danes led by Cnut and Heston while at the same time fighting off enemies from within like Aethelred and Aethelhelm. I also have the sneaking suspicion that Aethelred will meet his demise at the hands of none other than Aldhelm.
[close]

Off course you can't kill everyone off!!

Spoiler
I was convinced one of Cnut or Haesten was going to die though.  I suppose they are both lined up for a Dane power struggle in season 4.  Brida will probably come out on top anyway especially when she finds out Cnut basically coerced Aethelwold into the murder of Ragnar.

YES! I would love Aldhelm to kill Aethelred.  And then bed Princess Aethelflaed for good measure :)
[close]

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
Off course you can't kill everyone off!!

Spoiler
I was convinced one of Cnut or Haesten was going to die though.  I suppose they are both lined up for a Dane power struggle in season 4.  Brida will probably come out on top anyway especially when she finds out Cnut basically coerced Aethelwold into the murder of Ragnar.

YES! I would love Aldhelm to kill Aethelred.  And then bed Princess Aethelflaed for good measure :)
[close]

I assume the series will loosely follow history, so a couple of characters wont be around much more!!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #83 on: January 5, 2019, 02:36:52 am »
Just finished season series 3, for those who might be in doubt, and there have been a few in this thread, the show gets better as it goes, plenty of action and a fair bit of tragedy in the most recent series.

Did feel like the climactic battle of the most recent series was rushed...

Spoiler
The Danes blithely wandering into a forest ambush with no clue of the hordes of Saxons lying await on either side of the forest trail; no scouts for the mighty Danes, then, even though the idea was clearly present since the four sent by Brida were caught, sliced, diced and strung up handily athwart the trail?

And then, we're losing, no wait, the Mercians are here, without their detestable ant of a sort-of king.

Also thought it was the plot hammer as much as the spear throw that killed Sigebriht after he decided not to be such a twat  and actually fight for his, you know, own kingdom. Big of him, and that's what happens...

I also totally understand BPs admiration for the character Æthelflæd, and more crucially the actress Millie Brady... ;D
[close]

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2019, 01:50:00 am »
Utredh is a bit of a super superhero though.
It’s a bit much in that respect.

All round though, a great series
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2019, 08:36:56 pm »
Renewed for a fourth season, as if there was ever any doubt anyway.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2019, 10:45:04 am »
Just watched all this over last week and love it

Love GOT but,this show form me is miles better.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 3, 2020, 05:39:41 pm »
Season 4 is up on Netflix on April the 26th.

The 13th book in the series - War Lord is released this coming October

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: April 3, 2020, 05:52:48 pm »

Whoa whoa fucking whoa

You can't use season for the telly program and series for the book, fuck the season shite off, it's SERIES ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #89 on: April 3, 2020, 05:54:02 pm »

Thanks for the tip, looking forward to series four, three was a corker.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #90 on: April 3, 2020, 08:51:35 pm »

Stateside as well?

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 3, 2020, 09:05:00 pm »
Stateside as well?

Not sure mate, sorry

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2020, 09:15:44 am »
Just seen a heads up in the TV show thread!!

Season 4 dropped on Netflix last night.

Absolutely made up. Lock-down TV heaven :)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2020, 10:12:56 am »
Yeah, really looking forward to binging it.  It's one of those rare shows where (to date at least, touch wood) each season has been better than the last.  I was luke-warm on it early on, but love it now.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2020, 10:42:18 am »
Will start s4 tonight. Such a good show.

Glad Alfreds dead though. Fuck me, what an ungrateful horrible prick. Saying that,was sad Seeing his interactions with Uhtred near the end

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2020, 11:07:59 am »
Episode one was a very good watch.

Spoiler
It's great having Uhtred back making plans and roaming from kingdom to kingdom. Worth the visuals alone. ;D
[close]

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2020, 12:05:29 pm »
Will start s4 tonight. Such a good show.

Glad Alfreds dead though. Fuck me, what an ungrateful horrible prick. Saying that,was sad Seeing his interactions with Uhtred near the end

Alfred's missus is the one who annoys me. Such a dreary, miserable woman.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2020, 01:41:35 pm »

It's not really a spoiler to comment that, during the first two series four episodes, her character remains relatively unshaken... :D

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2020, 05:32:38 pm »
It's not really a spoiler to comment that, during the first two series four episodes, her character remains relatively unshaken... :D

:) I will wait with baited breath to see what happens to her.

I'm still on series 3, I actually cheered when that little fucker, Aethelwold finally had a bit of comeuppance.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2020, 08:01:40 pm »
Is she the same one from GOT ? Yeah she’s shite. Just as an actress she’s a misery arse. It was Alfreds character that annoyed me not 5he actual actor. Her however,it’s both

Edit. Just saw it’s a different actress than the one I thought from got.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:14:05 pm by Capon Debaser »

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2020, 03:28:47 am »
So Lord Aethelhelm
Spoiler
Cunty-cunt
[close]
really is an irritating sort who vastly merits future comeuppance.

So smug and condescending, and he's only a father-in-law, really.

Every time he comes onscreen, I think, "Oh, joy, there's good old Lord
Spoiler
Cunty-cunt...
[close]

Might bring Aelswith out of her glum, miserable shell if she gets the chance to de-ball him or something... :D

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2020, 08:07:17 am »
So Lord Aethelhelm
Spoiler
Cunty-cunt
[close]
really is an irritating sort who vastly merits future comeuppance.

So smug and condescending, and he's only a father-in-law, really.

Every time he comes onscreen, I think, "Oh, joy, there's good old Lord
Spoiler
Cunty-cunt...
[close]

Might bring Aelswith out of her glum, miserable shell if she gets the chance to de-ball him or something... :D

Yes hes a shitbag, I hate him with a passion. Probably an ancestor of an Everton or Abu Dhabi fan.

My next nomination for comeuppance is Aethelred, I'm not sure if hes "the unready" from history (hes not) but hes a fucking wanker. As a lot of important historians have said.

I know stories have to have a protagonist, there are too many for me in this 4th series, but I wish they could have an episode of drinking, hunting and farming. Followed by a nice flowery meadow scene.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:36:35 pm by Nitramdorf »

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #102 on: May 2, 2020, 01:08:10 am »
I thought that season 4 was fantastic. It's one of the rare shows that gets better with each passing season, doesn't it? It's absolutely set up for a fifth season as well and hopefully that will be able to happen with the COVID-19 situation and all. It deserves a proper ending.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #103 on: May 2, 2020, 05:29:12 pm »
Series 4 Episode 7, Finan to Uhtred: "I will find the man who did this..."

Spoiler
Can only hope the recently dispatched Lord Cunty-cunt will receive a visit from Finan in the final three episodes... :wave
[close]

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #104 on: May 3, 2020, 12:51:32 pm »
Spoiler
Uhtred seems to making more friends now than ever and the Mercian elder man seem to be fans at a time when alfreds children’s stock is low. Think Uhtreds finally done with Edward and his sister and the strange thing is,it’s their mum who seems to appreciate him now more than ever. How fast did Edwards sister shit on Uhtred after what he’s done for her and their family. Fuck me that’s family is fucking horrible and just like their father
[close]

Brilliant season that and the new Dane is boss
« Last Edit: May 3, 2020, 12:53:37 pm by Capon Debaser »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 3, 2020, 12:53:47 pm »
2 episodes into the new series

Fucking brilliant. I love this show more than Vikings and GoT when it comes to this genre. And the latter are great shows too

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 3, 2020, 01:27:03 pm »
Spoiler
I have just watched the fourth episode, so many things happening as ever. I was really sorry to see the demise of Beocca, he's been like a father to Uhtred for so long, no wonder he is struggling. The battle for Edward's soul continues, so many different factions with too many different ambitions. Just what I love about these shows. It's had a really good start and I am really impressed with the continued ambition with the making of this show. I hope the standard of the storytelling continues on like this.
[close]

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 3, 2020, 02:30:28 pm »
2 episodes into the new series

Fucking brilliant. I love this show more than Vikings and GoT when it comes to this genre. And the latter are great shows too

One of the main differences between this show and GOT was, GOT lost its sharpness when the book material run out. Hopefully that won't happen with The Last Kingdom.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 3, 2020, 02:51:39 pm »
I've only just realised that for all this time I've had this and Knightfall mixed up.

So one show in my watch later list has become two and I'm not even sure which 1st episode I've watched.

Going to get on this when I have caught up with Killing Eve.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 5, 2020, 10:24:49 pm »
Spoiler
I finished the show tonight, another really strong ending from it. It makes me restless for the next season now. It's going to be all change but it will be fascinating to see Uhtred's children find their way in the world. I like his daughter she's quite feisty and intelligent. If only Brida still was, she walks around like a wounded old dog now she is more vicious than anyone else. It's like she has almost been dehumanised, I feel like someone needs to put her out of her misery. If only Uhtred has been strong enough to do it. :(
[close]

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 5, 2020, 10:52:38 pm »
Funny to see my town, Chester, get a mention in the fourth series.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 5, 2020, 11:37:34 pm »
Funny to see my town, Chester, get a mention in the fourth series.

Quite a few mentions.  ;D

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 6, 2020, 12:11:54 am »
Quite a few mentions.  ;D

I’ve not seen the whole series yet. Ha. Reminded me this town/city is really old and historical. I can see why it was used by romans and vikings etc. Near my house, there’s an amazing view of Wales that would give great vantage points, when it wasn’t so built up, plus there’s the river.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 6, 2020, 12:19:45 am »
I’ve not seen the whole series yet. Ha. Reminded me this town/city is really old and historical. I can see why it was used by romans and vikings etc. Near my house, there’s an amazing view of Wales that would give great vantage points, when it wasn’t so built up, plus there’s the river.

I used to love walking around the walls when I was in Chester. I am a Arthurian legend buff some experts claim Chester had links with the Round Table as well, being known as the city of Legions.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 6, 2020, 03:14:10 pm »
I used to love walking around the walls when I was in Chester. I am a Arthurian legend buff some experts claim Chester had links with the Round Table as well, being known as the city of Legions.

Yeah? That’s intriguing.

I’ve heard a rumour that another roman road has been found. Amazing the things still being discovered here.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #115 on: May 7, 2020, 07:18:17 pm »
Still the last episode to go, been a very good series, one random comment/criticism...

Why did they bother building fortresses at the time?

On at least two memorable, deus ex rage against the machina occasions during series 4, two well-fortified, well, fortresses were taken over by people just sort of walking through the gate.

Seemed to be quite easy taking control over enemy fortifications back in the day...

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 7, 2020, 09:34:21 pm »
Still the last episode to go, been a very good series, one random comment/criticism...

Why did they bother building fortresses at the time?

On at least two memorable, deus ex rage against the machina occasions during series 4, two well-fortified, well, fortresses were taken over by people just sort of walking through the gate.

Seemed to be quite easy taking control over enemy fortifications back in the day...

Maybe it's just for narrative purposes. Bebbenburgh, which is now Bamburgh castle looks pretty impregnable

God knows how to attack that. Having said that I dont know how different  it was in Uhtred's era. Although in a lot of books I've read, it's always mentioned as pretty much the most hardest to succesfully attack.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 7, 2020, 10:25:18 pm »
Maybe it's just for narrative purposes. Bebbenburgh, which is now Bamburgh castle looks pretty impregnable

God knows how to attack that. Having said that I dont know how different  it was in Uhtred's era. Although in a lot of books I've read, it's always mentioned as pretty much the most hardest to succesfully attack.

It's a fantastic castle one of my favourites along with Tintagel and Goodrich. It has an amazing history as well, it was actually the first castle to fall to gunpower in the War of the Roses. It's always been described as a fortress and was a home to many of the middle ages Kings from Henry VI to James I. Out of interest it was supposed to have passed between the native Britons and the Anglo Saxons three times, before the fort was destroyed by the Vikings in 933. The Normans actually rebuilt a new castle on the site from the core of the old one.

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 8, 2020, 08:04:31 am »
It's a fantastic castle one of my favourites along with Tintagel and Goodrich. It has an amazing history as well, it was actually the first castle to fall to gunpower in the War of the Roses. It's always been described as a fortress and was a home to many of the middle ages Kings from Henry VI to James I. Out of interest it was supposed to have passed between the native Britons and the Anglo Saxons three times, before the fort was destroyed by the Vikings in 933. The Normans actually rebuilt a new castle on the site from the core of the old one.

Thanks Jill, I guess the impregnability came more from the location it was, rather than the actual build at the time.

I just had a quick search and there actually was an Uhtred the Bold who ruled there and was assassinated in 1016 BC.

The little lad, Aethelstan, who kept saying he was nobody ( that broke my heart) also ended up as king, originally of Wessex then of England and it was a successful reign. Hope that's not a spoiler for series 10  :)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 8, 2020, 03:19:21 pm »
How does this compare to Vikings?