Author Topic: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)  (Read 19500 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)
« Reply #120 on: May 8, 2020, 03:31:40 pm »
How does this compare to Vikings?

It's very good, but not as good as Vikings at its best.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 8, 2020, 03:53:37 pm »
It's very good, but not as good as Vikings at its best.

Cheers Craig.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #122 on: May 8, 2020, 10:29:47 pm »
How does this compare to Vikings?

I think its better than the Vikings to be honest, (sorry Craig). It's all opinions of course, but I think all four seasons have been consistently good.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 9, 2020, 12:18:02 am »
Destiny is all.

There’s still at least two good seasons to be had out of this. Given what we know Edward’s son achieved as King. But then Uhtred not ageing by the time he becomes king would be ridiculous.

I liked how Alfred talked about not including Uhtred in his story. There was an uhtred, but 100 years later. and there probably were warriors like him who should have taken credit, but kings ensured the story was told their way.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2020, 12:20:29 am by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 9, 2020, 11:22:55 am »
I think its better than the Vikings to be honest, (sorry Craig). It's all opinions of course, but I think all four seasons have been consistently good.

I’m with you too but it’s close. They are both ace

Just watched episode 4 of new series

Epic!!!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #125 on: May 9, 2020, 11:50:37 am »
You’re both wrong  ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 9, 2020, 11:51:47 am »
Destiny is all.

There’s still at least two good seasons to be had out of this. Given what we know Edward’s son achieved as King. But then Uhtred not ageing by the time he becomes king would be ridiculous.

I liked how Alfred talked about not including Uhtred in his story. There was an uhtred, but 100 years later. and there probably were warriors like him who should have taken credit, but kings ensured the story was told their way.

Absolutely the winners rewrite history its happened all along down the ages.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2020, 11:37:35 am »
Episode 6 of the new series. I hope this scene was a minor blip and one off

Spoiler
Eardwulf and his guard had our heroes and the children cornered.  The guards on horse back had archers pointing arrows at Uhtred and Finan.  It could have been all ended there and then and Aelfwynn taken.  A man of Eardwulfs ambition would have certainly done this. He'd just killed the King Of Mercia with his bare hands for fuck sake.

Eadith steps forward and reveals all about Eardwulf the king killer.  His men instantly believe Eadith.  The plot device for Eardwulf to take and keep the kings ring with the royal seal was nuts too.

Finally his men are convinced he killed their king. What do they do? They just let him ride off to Francia.

Awful scene but I'm putting it down as a one off.
[close]

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2020, 11:47:44 am »
Yeah I had issues with that scene too. There have a been a few instances like that, but then...

Spoiler
The bad guy not instantly killing the good guys and talking too much / going for some weird elaborate death always happens!
[close]

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2020, 07:33:00 pm »
You’re both wrong  ;D

I'm never wrong.  ;) ;D

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2020, 06:48:38 pm »
I'm never wrong.  ;) ;D

You must agree with the analysis of that scene above though Jill?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2020, 11:27:11 pm »
You must agree with the analysis of that scene above though Jill?

I'm not saying it doesn't have its mad or unrealistic moments as above, its like they all get a bit too clever all of a sudden. It is weird though, I write stories myself and sometimes you plot yourself into a corner. I have put things in that you'd think some people would wildly object to, but on the whole you can get away with things. Maybe they thought the same with that scene as well. Not with Rawk though.  ;D

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2020, 12:40:54 am »
I'm not saying it doesn't have its mad or unrealistic moments as above, its like they all get a bit too clever all of a sudden. It is weird though, I write stories myself and sometimes you plot yourself into a corner. I have put things in that you'd think some people would wildly object to, but on the whole you can get away with things. Maybe they thought the same with that scene as well. Not with Rawk though.  ;D

I write screenplays myself.  And I know as you probably do, prime shows such as this employ teams of writers.

I sometimes wonder how someone didn't say at the weekly meeting, Hang on a minute here, this scene is a bit meh.

I'm writing a comedy sitcom pilot at the moment.  Its easier to get away with mad moments :)

You had anything picked up yet?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2020, 01:05:35 pm »
I write screenplays myself.  And I know as you probably do, prime shows such as this employ teams of writers.

I sometimes wonder how someone didn't say at the weekly meeting, Hang on a minute here, this scene is a bit meh.

I'm writing a comedy sitcom pilot at the moment.  Its easier to get away with mad moments :)

You are absolutely right about them having a team of writers. You wonder sometimes whether there is a communication between all the writers. They are after all working from the books, so there should be a development plan of how the show is written season by season. I think back to Game of Thrones and how the standard dropping the moment they overtook the books. But this sort of thing happens in a lot of TV shows, when there is more than one writer. It makes  you wonder whether that is the drawback with having more than one (or two) writers on the show.

I write as a hobby more than anything up to now I have done fan fiction, up to about 200 different stories. I put them up on a couple of websites and have gained quite a few followers now, more than I ever imagined I would. But I am planning to write an original once I finish my other two. It's very much in the planning stages at the moment. It's cool you are writing a comedy, can't have enough of those shows at the moment. Good luck with it.  :D

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2020, 03:01:03 pm »

I write as a hobby more than anything up to now I have done fan fiction, up to about 200 different stories. I put them up on a couple of websites and have gained quite a few followers now, more than I ever imagined I would. But I am planning to write an original once I finish my other two. It's very much in the planning stages at the moment. It's cool you are writing a comedy, can't have enough of those shows at the moment. Good luck with it.  :D

Brilliant Jill. Sounds great. Good luck with your original. Very rewarding when you can finally click the "send" button and submit your work to a Competition, Producer, TV company etc.

Getting your script in the hands of someone in authority is harder than writing the damn thing though.  Then they have to read it AND like it.

I'm loving comedy writing opposed to drama features.  The TV sitcom pilot I'm writing now is so much fun. Not sure how good it is like. I'll ask Crosby Nick when I'm finished. If Nick hates it then I'm sure it will do well :)

Sat through a few episodes of "The Mindy Project" on Comedy Central last night.  After watching them I now know there's hope for ALL comedy writers to get their work made.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2020, 04:24:47 pm »
Brilliant Jill. Sounds great. Good luck with your original. Very rewarding when you can finally click the "send" button and submit your work to a Competition, Producer, TV company etc.

Getting your script in the hands of someone in authority is harder than writing the damn thing though.  Then they have to read it AND like it.

I'm loving comedy writing opposed to drama features.  The TV sitcom pilot I'm writing now is so much fun. Not sure how good it is like. I'll ask Crosby Nick when I'm finished. If Nick hates it then I'm sure it will do well :)

Sat through a few episodes of "The Mindy Project" on Comedy Central last night.  After watching them I now know there's hope for ALL comedy writers to get their work made.

Thanks.

I can imagine getting the script accepted is a challenge, there is also a huge amount of luck attached? I have read so many interviews from television writers about that very thing. I also think it's a hugely competitive market as well, so many writers and so little time to fix new shows into. On another subject I'm wondering how much the current situation will affect the entertainment industry overall. I imagine a lot of shows have had to suddenly close down, how much will that affect the capacity of starting up again later on? If you think about the money that will be lost, you'd fear it will affect some shows going forward. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2020, 04:26:01 pm »
Jill is never wrong, I've learned that the hard way :D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:23 pm »
Jill is never wrong, I've learned that the hard way :D

If only.  ;D

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2020, 08:14:05 pm »

My missus thinks I should be an actor. She pointed out all the little skits i act out for her and several “characters” I’ve developed over the years that I be silly with around the house.  Most are exaggerations of my own idiosyncrasies. Apparently, I also get lost in the role playing and freak her out sometimes as I become someone else.

I can also cry on demand.

So yeah, I should be the lead. Cheers.  ;D
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2020, 03:33:52 pm »
Minor moan; I wish they didn't use such drastic dulling down of the colour all the time, it looks so washed out and grainy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:53:21 pm by Devon Red »

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2020, 02:15:56 pm »
Episode 6 of the new series. I hope this scene was a minor blip and one off

Awful scene but I'm putting it down as a one off. [/spoiler]
Was going recommending this show but that scene and the fact that it seems claustrophobic in the woods . Guess a lot more goes on with budget and time as towards moving a plot forward .
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #141 on: June 8, 2020, 02:53:04 pm »
Binged watched series 4 over the weekend.... I WANT SERIES 5!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 8, 2020, 02:53:43 pm »
Binged watched series 4 over the weekend.... I WANT SERIES 5!

DESTINY IS ALL!!!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2021, 04:36:30 pm »
Theres not a definite date for the last series, series 5 airing as yet, but they are making a film after that.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/the-last-kingdom-movie-netflix-newsupdate/

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2021, 12:43:22 am »
Great news. For consistency in quality this shits all over Vikings which for me was just meh post Ragnar (Ragnar took it to some amazing high's though). Looking forward to S5 and the movie.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2022, 07:29:52 pm »
Season 5 is up on Netflix on March the 9th.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2022, 07:41:29 pm »
Lots of new viking based TV coming out over next few weeks... amazing  ;D

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2022, 07:42:15 pm »
Made up to see it back. Hate Alfred in this. Hes a right shitbag to Uhtred but was watching Year of The Rabbit and was surprised o find out he (David Dawson) played the role Of Joseph Merrick aka The Elephant Man in it. Hes absolutely hilarious in it

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2022, 12:52:19 pm »
Made up to see it back. Hate Alfred in this. Hes a right shitbag to Uhtred but was watching Year of The Rabbit and was surprised o find out he (David Dawson) played the role Of Joseph Merrick aka The Elephant Man in it. Hes absolutely hilarious in it

Really enjoyed all the books - even if they were very repetitive towards the end. Great summation to the series as well.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2022, 02:36:14 pm »
Really enjoyed all the books - even if they were very repetitive towards the end. Great summation to the series as well.
Ah right, youve read the books. So in relation to the show, how long do you think this has left? Or are the books still going?

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2022, 04:27:24 pm »
Ah right, youve read the books. So in relation to the show, how long do you think this has left? Or are the books still going?

This is the last season and they are apparently making a film after. The books have finished but they are only loosely linked to the show as there are 13 books in total and Uthred is an old man in the last few.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2022, 05:45:40 pm »
This is the last season and they are apparently making a film after. The books have finished but they are only loosely linked to the show as there are 13 books in total and Uthred is an old man in the last few.
Nice one, cheers mate. I’ll have a look see on Google aboot the fleem.  ;)

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2022, 06:59:41 pm »
Went through the Last Kingdom WIKI earlier and recapped all the character names, who is alive and who is dead. And generally brought myself up to speed where we are with the story.

Some of the names from this time are so similar it took me a while to get my head around it all again.

Anyway, I'm good to go.

UHTRED! SON OF UHTRED!!

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2022, 02:43:24 pm »
SO!

Any good guys?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2022, 02:58:32 pm »
SO!

Any good guys?

Only watched first episode, but thought it was good as far as series openers go.

Enjoying the smaller scale, Uhtred on the frontier in Runcorn, sorry, Rumcofa  :D, securing trade on what will become the Mersey, I think, playing Mr. Sugden to Aethelstan's Kes, and an abortive attempt to hump the tall girl...

Very intimate and foreboding, rather than the more epic sweep of seasons previous... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2022, 03:26:23 pm »
Im on Episode 5 Bucky. Really enjoying it so far

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2022, 09:35:42 pm »
Finished it tonight. Wow. Episode 10 is something else. Season 5 was epic and the journey is finally over. I'm pretty sure they can continue on to season 6 and beyond as there is a lot more to tell but it would surely lose its magic that way so it was best to end it after this season.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2022, 10:03:01 pm »
Was boss that. Just finished a couple of minutes ago . Cant wait for 'Seven Kings Must Die' next year. Superb show

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2022, 10:08:32 pm »
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-last-kingdom-movie-seven-kings-must-die-everything-we-know-so-far/

‘The Last Kingdom’ Movie ‘Seven Kings Must Die’: Everything We Know So Far

With the end of 'The Last Kingdom' on Netflix, the final chapter of Uhtred's epic saga will be told in the movie 'Seven Kings Must Die'.

With the end of The Last Kingdom on Netflix, the epic finale to the story of Uhtred of Bebbanburg will be told through the movie, Seven Kings Must Die. With filming currently ongoing in Hungary, we expect to see Seven Kings Must Die on Netflix sometime in 2023. Here’s everything we know so far about Seven Kings Must Die on Netflix.

Seven Kings Must Die is an upcoming Netflix Original fictional-historical drama movie, and sequel to The Last Kingdom television series. The film continues the adaptation of Bernard Cornwell’s incredible Saxon Stories novels.

Netflix picked up The Last Kingdom from the BBC after the latter canceled the show after two seasons. The streaming service had already been working with the BBC on the show, as outside of the UK, The Last Kingdom was already distributed as a Netflix Original. Three further incredible seasons were produced, and with the film on the way in the near future, we’ll get to see a dramatic and epic conclusion to the story of Uhtred of Bebbanburg.

What is the plot of Seven Kings Must Die?

A synopsis for Seven Kings Must Die hasn’t been revealed as of yet, however, we can expect the following:

After successfully reclaiming his ancestral home of Bebbanburg, and in order for Uhtred to keep the peace, the Saxon-Dane promised to remain independent of any war between King Constantin of Alba and King Edward of Wessex. But an independent Bebbanburg means Edward’s dream of a unified England remains in doubt. So will another Wessex king go against his word and betray Uhtred? All Uhtred dreams of is to live out his days in Bebbanburg in peace, but fate may have ulterior motives, and once again Uhtred will be at the heart of shaping the future of England.

Who are the cast members of Seven Kings Must Die?

In the press release for Seven Kings Must Die it was confirmed that Alexander Dreymon would return to reprise his role as Uhtred of Bebbanburg. It was also confirmed that multiple characters from the show will return to reprise their roles, along with some new faces who are yet to be announced.

We expect to see the following cast members to return:

Uhtred – Alexander Dreymon
Young Uhtred – Finn Elliot
Stiorra – Ruby Hartley
Osbert – Olly Rhodes
King Edward – Timothy Innes
King Constantin – Rod Hallett
Eadgifu – Sonya Cassidy
Aethelstan – Harry Gilby
Aelfweard – Ewan Horrocks
Finan – Mark Rowley
Sihtric – Arnas Fedaravicius
Father Pyrlig – Cavan Clerkin
Aelswith – Eliza Butterworth
Aelfwynn – Phia Saban
Lady Eadith – Stefanie Martini
Abbess Hild – Eva Birthistle
Father Benedict – Patrick Robinson
Cynlaef – Ryan Quarmby

What is the movie runtime?

Surprisingly, the movie runtime has been announced way ahead of time and will be approximately 120 minutes.

What is the production status of Seven Kings Must Die?

At the end of January 2022, a tweet from the official The Last Kingdom Twitter account confirmed that filming is currently ongoing in Hungary for Seven Kings Must Die.

When is the Netflix release date for Seven Kings Must Die?

With filming currently ongoing in Hungary we won’t be seeing Seven Kings Must Die on Netflix in 2022. A full release date is many months away from being confirmed, but we know that Seven Kings Must Die will be released sometime in 2023.

How many more of The Saxon Stories are left to adapt?

By the end of the fifth season of The Last Kingdom, a total of ten novels from Bernard Cornwell’s Saxon Stories had been covered.

While the story of the show has diverged significantly from the novels, there are still elements of the story from the novels that the show utilizes and adapts. This leaves the writers only 120 minutes to nitpick from the plot of the remaining novels, War of the Wolf, Sword of Kings, and War Lord.

Will a sixth season of The Last Kingdom happen?

Netflix has already made it clear that The Last Kingdom series has come to an end and won’t be returning for a sixth season. Uhtred’s story in the show has concluded, and his final chapter will be told through Seven Kings Must Die.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2022, 01:34:16 am »
Loved the Series to bits from the start. One of those tales that just works beautifully. Loved Utrecht and the Scouse priest Beocca who was always on hand. Also fell madly in love with the Cornish Brit witch Iseult so was devastated when she was bumped off. Enjoyed the season 5 climax but still trying to work out how King Eddy and his merry men managed to avoid the big cliff drop whilst Utrecht was yapping to Brida for what seemed like days. Also thought casting The Big Yin as King Constantin was a stroke of genius.

;D