Author Topic: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone  (Read 480764 times)

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
Re: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone
« Reply #6520 on: September 11, 2021, 11:35:58 am »
I'm the same, was drinking far too much on a regular basis and then feeling hungover the next day. Which then just means a huge appetite, craving for carbs and no energy for exercise. Put on far too much over the last 2 years following this pattern. Since July I've lost 10kg mainly by cutting out booze on weeknights and reducing it on the weekend, which has the knock-on effect of eating less, eating better and exercising more. Still got a long way to go though, aiming to shed another 15kg.

As someone who liked a drink, I found that knocking it on the head had a massive effect on my health. The weight just dropped off and I felt motivated to exercise more as well. Within two months of stopping drinking, and improving my diet, I was starting to get back the body I had 15 years ago.

A couple of weeks ago a friend got onboard with my diet plan, no booze, no snacks, a salad for lunch and eat what you want for dinner. He's dropped three kilos already. It's going to get competitive :D.

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
Re: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone
« Reply #6521 on: September 11, 2021, 11:49:59 am »
Your weight can actually increase after heavy exercise, as your muscles can inflame and store exercise water/fluid. This will get flushed out over the next 24-48 hours and your weight will drop down to a "normal" level. This is one of the reasons why its key to try and weigh-in each week under as much of the same circumstances as possible.

So I will generally weigh myself every day as it fascinates me. This is just an example week from the last time I was cutting:

Monday - 196.2
Tuesday - 195.8
Wednesday - 195.8
Thursday - 197.6
Friday - 196.6
Saturday - 195.3
Sunday - 195.0

Ate the same amount of calories each day and ended up losing over a lb, but if I didn't know better I would have been gutted on Thursday. In reality, I probably just went on a run on the Wednesday, or maybe had all my calories before bed, or even just went a day without having a shit!
I'm in the weigh every day camp. I have my morning piss (it makes a difference, but if you follow the same routine every day it doesn't matter) and weigh myself whilst the kettle boils. At the start the weight loss, aiming to be lighter every day was a massive motivation. Now I'm exercising, and gaining muscle, a bit less so. Also I'm a bit of a maths nerd and compiling tables and plotting graphs is sort of fun :D.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6522 on: September 11, 2021, 09:31:03 pm »
Whats annoying is im.off booze pretty much 3 weeks but God I'm so bored tonight
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6523 on: September 20, 2021, 04:16:59 am »
I don't know if its been posted before but I have been using a website called Stickk for some extra motivation and accountability.  Its been working well. So far I have lost about 20lbs in 3 months.

It allows you to bet some money on you achieving your weekly weight loss or exercise goals. If you fail, your money gets transferred to a charity of your choice, or you can pick a charity you despise or you can just make an agreement with friend.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Talk about motivation.

My sister in law was well overweight and very unfit about 5 years ago. She did slimming world to get her to a decent weight and then started to run. 6th Oct 2018 she did a charity 5k to raise some money for Macmillan. Last Sunday she did the London marathon in 5hrs 17 mins, raising money for teenage cancer trust.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Talk about motivation.

My sister in law was well overweight and very unfit about 5 years ago. She did slimming world to get her to a decent weight and then started to run. 6th Oct 2018 she did a charity 5k to raise some money for Macmillan. Last Sunday she did the London marathon in 5hrs 17 mins, raising money for teenage cancer trust.

Would work equally well in the "Small Things that Annoy" thread...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Weight Loss
« Reply #6526 on: November 7, 2021, 08:31:23 am »
Quite surprised that there isn’t a thread on this already, apologies if I’ve missed one and if I have I’d be grateful if someone could merge for me.

I am in the process of trying to lose weight for my wedding which is in 11 months time. I’ve always been a bit of an all or nothing person which has resulted in me getting my weight down to really good, fit levels (combined with lots of exercise and kick boxing) but the minute I fall off that wagon I find it hard to even maintain any kind of sensible routine (which is what happened when I started uni in 2015) and as a result I’m now at around 19 stone - that isn’t as bad as it sounds as I’m a big guy anyway so my target weight is probably around 14 stone, but nevertheless, it’s a significant amount which needs to be lost.

Anyway, I thought it may be useful for some who are doing similar as there no doubt will be some who are, to keep a track of it on a thread or for a bit of moral support or whatever as it can be a trying process, particularly if you’re the type (as I am) to do weekly weigh ins which can sometimes show little to no movement (or even an increase in weight) due to things like fluid retention which even though all logic will tell you that you haven’t actually gained fat it can nevertheless be disheartening. I guess it is also a fairly pertinent time for people to think about long term weight loss plans with the summer being 7 months or so away so plenty of time to make some really significant progress in time for that.

As to the actual mode of the weight loss, I’ve always believed a gradual lifestyle change is the only maintainable way of doing it (as even though I have lost weight only to regain it I have kept the weight off for years prior to doing so), and I’ll therefore be adopting a calorie controlled approach with a calorie deficient, intense gym work outs 2-3 times a week focussing on compound movements and interval training and religiously keeping track of what I eat (as I know if I don’t do that I’ll fall into old habits). If anyone does have anything to add to that then be my guest, it may also be helpful for any decent recipes which are calory counted(ish) as I’m sure I’m not alone on finding tasty food a struggle with weight loss and after a while there can often be ravings for higher calorie foods which can be helped somewhat hy having a good set of recipes to follow which you enjoy and you know aren’t any higher in calories than you would like them to be.

Thanks and all contributions welcome, even if it’s to call me a fat c*nt. ;)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Weight Loss
« Reply #6527 on: November 7, 2021, 08:32:34 am »
Of course there is, it's called the fat bastard's thread: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=273443.0

;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6528 on: November 7, 2021, 08:33:50 am »
Of course there is: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=273443.0

Thanks! That explains why it didn’t come up in my search though having seen the thread title! ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6529 on: November 7, 2021, 08:35:46 am »
Thanks! That explains why it didn’t come up in my search though having seen the thread title! ;D

;D Just realised the link didn't come with the thread title, so edited.

Good luck!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
@jm, i was in same boat as you a few years back

11 months before my wedding i stepped up dieting a notch. was a similar weight to you.

so here is what i did

Monday,weights in the afternoon. Had 10 different weight exercises i went through, combination of shoulders, legs and arms

tuesday, spin class, 30 mins

wednesday, football 45-60 mins (Shorter at times due to people being late)

Thursday, weights in afternoon like monday, but I also did a big long run in evening, was a member of two gyms at time, as i used to weigh myself on a friday morning, as the weight came off i got fitter and was able to train twice on thursdays

friday, another run.

saturday, depending on week would be another football session

sunday, day off, though the odd time there was a bit of golf. Didnt do the football every saturday.

diet wise monday to friday was the time to be healthy

monday, 620am Cereal or porridge, or maybe some eggs
8am yoghurt/actimel
10am see 8am
12pm, fruit/porridge/yoghurt
2pm salad lunch
6pm whatever for dinner

weekend I usually had a blow out, few drinks and a takeaway

September 2014, weighed 18 stone 9, be end of month 17 stone 6
end of october 16 stone 12
start of december 16 stone 3

Obviously a bit of a blow out at times between stags, christmas, birthdays, other weddings etc

got down to 15 stone 12 but definitely a huge huge improvement. felt strong as an ox and could run through walls.

Usually used my fitness pal to track food, you can scan barcodes on products etc.

With your mind put to it you can achieve anything

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
My initial (I thought very ambitious) goal in late April was to drop from 88-89kg to close to 80. I haven’t been below 80 for well over a decade. But it seems I struck a good vein with this regime that comes easily and leaves me feeling healthy and energised. Possibly a bit too good in fact. I’m now at around 73-4kg and will deinitely look to hit the gym again asap and reclaim a few kg in muscles. Still at around 1300-1400 calories a day, just fresh produce, meat and nuts. No dairy, sugar, processed foods, drinks or pasta/bread/rice.

wow

hats pretty amazing but given your diet change it would make sense. that is a really big chance to simple carbs we tend to live by otherwise

impressive

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Got to go see the nurse tomorrow, I did my blood pressure yesterday and it is a bit high, so need to get that looked at properly. Going to have to take the diet seriously now
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
JM55, I doubt any of us who post in this thread would call you a fat c*nt, mainly because it might be a bit close to home ;D

This summer I lost 20 kg in three months by following the lazy bastards diet (I might have to patent this ;))
  • Cut out the booze. Forget the calorie control, if you drink knock it on the head and prepare to be amazed.
  • Cut out the snacks. Once you do it after a couple of days you wont be craving.
  • Replace one meal a day with a basic £1 from Tesco salad
  • Just do basic exercise. I got my 10,000 steps a day in and a then added some light weights (I left some dumbbells at the bottom of the stairs and made myself do a few lifts etc every time I went for a piss :)
  • If this starts working for you there are loads of phone aps that can really help with weight loss, and then fitness. I use some by Leap fitness.

Will this work for everyone? Probably not, but it really worked for me. The simple answer is reduce calories and increase burn. I chose to do it the lazy way and it worked.

Good luck.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
So how fat did we all get over Xmas?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan

Some of us are still going!  :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
No excuses. Since I did a half marathon in September I’ve done fuck all, and had the usual Christmas eating and drinking to excess. I’m the heaviest I think I’ve ever been.

Time to shame myself into action in here, eat better and exercise more. Feel free to abuse me, I need a kick up the arse.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Late September I hit the lowest point at around 70.5 kg and to be honest I was not happy with my energy levels and I looked drained. I’ve raised my calorie intake to a normal ‘maintain’ levels of about 2000 and ate more fat and some sugar. Now I’m at about 75 and it feels optimal. Just need to hit the gym again and it should be great.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
No excuses. Since I did a half marathon in September I’ve done fuck all, and had the usual Christmas eating and drinking to excess. I’m the heaviest I think I’ve ever been.

Time to shame myself into action in here, eat better and exercise more. Feel free to abuse me, I need a kick up the arse.
Hit 91kg, my all time highest too. fat bastards
YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Went from 16st 1lb to 16st 13lbs ;D

Been on the South Beach phase one since last Tuesday, low carb and eating chicken, fish and loads of salad and green veg, back down to 16st 3lbs and feeling so much better and oddly sleeping better, aiming for 14st 7lb by about May/June time.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Yep back up to 209lbs. I'm only 5 foot 8. Carry it entirely on my gut too.

Signed up to a personal trainer, hopefully spunking some cash will motivate me.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yep back up to 209lbs. I'm only 5 foot 8. Carry it entirely on my gut too.

Signed up to a personal trainer, hopefully spunking some cash will motivate me.
Belly fat is a tough one to lose.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Belly fat is a tough one to lose.

What are the best options?

I always think one of those thinks they use at the kebab shop to trim the big elephant’s leg meat would help but there’s probably less painful but more time consuming ways to do it.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I always think one of those thinks they use at the kebab shop to trim the big elephant’s leg meat would help but there’s probably less painful but more time consuming ways to do it.
That'd definitely be the easiest way.

I lose weight & tone up but don't lose as much "timber" from gut than I should.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
havent done anything since 21st december

As mentioned in other thread the next day i tested positive for covid

sat in a room doing absolutely nothing for days. i actually lost about 9 pounds

all back on and more im sure as not the right way to lose it

Hoping to get back running this week

Three weddings this year, My suit should still be ok but I do need a new suit as 2 of the weddings are three days apart

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I'm doing the South Beach diet, low carbs for 2 weeks and then reintrdouce brown bread, brown rice, cut out the white stuff. Worked for me in 2006, lost 4 stone and dropped to a 36 inch waist from about a 46

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I'm doing the South Beach diet, low carbs for 2 weeks and then reintrdouce brown bread, brown rice, cut out the white stuff. Worked for me in 2006, lost 4 stone and dropped to a 36 inch waist from about a 46

I’m not asking because it’s you, but did it make you grumpy? :D

And could you concentrate at work? Always feel like hard work for me!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I’m not asking because it’s you, but did it make you grumpy? :D

And could you concentrate at work? Always feel like hard work for me!

Cutting out caffeine gave me bad headaches, so I got that out of the way the other week, but other than that I think I was OK. I was seeing a nympho at the time and Liverpool were playing well though, so life was pretty good ;D

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
That'd definitely be the easiest way.

I lose weight & tone up but don't lose as much "timber" from gut than I should.

Just genetics that is. Everyone is different in terms of where fat stores and where it comes off first/last. Stomach and lower back (love handles) are the most common stubborn areas for males. It's why you can find some people with 15% body fat and visible abs whilst others can go as low as 8% and still struggle to show definition.

It'll come off eventually though if you keep plugging away. And once it starts the rest can go quite quickly.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just genetics that is. Everyone is different in terms of where fat stores and where it comes off first/last. Stomach and lower back (love handles) are the most common stubborn areas for males. It's why you can find some people with 15% body fat and visible abs whilst others can go as low as 8% and still struggle to show definition.

It'll come off eventually though if you keep plugging away. And once it starts the rest can go quite quickly.
Hopefully as it seems to be that final bit with the fat loss that needs addressing & I'd be happy being in the 11 stone area.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I found no way to lose belly fat other than significantly raising the overal muscle mass. Nothing else ever worked from age of 30 onward. You can drop down to almost underweight levels and still have some belly left, or have 10+ kg more, but with more muscles and no visible belly. It's just the way it is.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Random question. Does anyone here use one of those pull up bars that attached to a door frame? Looking to get one but want a decent, reliable one.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
I think I did that without knowing it had a name.  Low carbs for ages then gradual reintroduce.  Lost 3stone.  That was about 4 years ago and I've maintained the same weight ever since though would like to shift another 10lbs or so. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I found no way to lose belly fat other than significantly raising the overal muscle mass. Nothing else ever worked from age of 30 onward. You can drop down to almost underweight levels and still have some belly left, or have 10+ kg more, but with more muscles and no visible belly. It's just the way it is.
Adding muscle would require which (best) equipment?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Posting on here to make my self accountable.

Just weighed myself at 240 pounds. About 5 years ago I was a pretty trim 190 pounds.

Finally decided I am seriously overweight and need to get my act together.

Got married 18 months ago and am pretty happy but really struggle with family dinners when my family eat like crazy and I have always eaten and kept a lid on it by exercise.

Trying to genuinely exercise these days at home to try and get sweaty twice a day and eat with significant moderation.

Will be drinking though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 12:47:26 am by AndyInVA »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Up to 9 kilos as of this morning. Much slower progress over the last 5 or 6 weeks, not least because of a couple of birthdays in there, but really happy overall. One more to my secondary target.

This time last year my wife and I both got our act together, tied regular exercise with consistent tracking of calories and dropping the junk food and I found myself dropping from 86kg to 76.6 (she lost ~5kg as well). As alluded to in an earlier post, I lost discipline a bit when lockdown eased and footy started again, putting some of that back on over the second half of 2021. Weighed myself on Jan 4th this year and was at 83.2kg. Annoyed with myself to be honest, that I've put that consistent effort in over a relatively sustained period, to get myself towards a place where I was much more comfortable, and felt better for it, and then through lack of self-discipline, really, let it slowly creep back up.

Anyway, all of that to say that I'm getting myself back on track now. Bit mad at the moment because we moved to Adelaide a couple of months ago so loads going on getting settled (nothing like getting your top off on a beach to focus the mind on weight loss/fitness goals, by the way), plus we've started potty training the kids last week (and they've not started nursery here yet so they're at home full time too). That should all hopefully start easing next couple of weeks, so looking to join a gym and get myself in there at least 3 times a week, and my wife and I have been aiming for 10k steps every day as well. If I can make that a habit, and then sort the diet (and portion sizes) again (easier now the Christmas snacks have gone), I'm certain i'll get things moving in the right direction again. Just needs consistent effort. And the 'effort' in my experience is really centered in the first few weeks, when you're really looking to redesign habits. Once you've cracked that bit, it's just routine and not much effort at all.

My intended plan is essentially this:
  • 1650 calories per day (minimum 100g protein)
  • Track all calorie intake via MyFitnessPal
  • 3 x weight training sessions per week (3 day pull/push/legs split)
  • 10k steps 6 days per week
  • 1 rest day per week
I bought myself a new skipping rope as well, so will have a dabble with that here and there in addition.

Good luck to everyone trying to make some positive changes  :wave

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:37:18 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
Late September I hit the lowest point at around 70.5 kg and to be honest I was not happy with my energy levels and I looked drained. I’ve raised my calorie intake to a normal ‘maintain’ levels of about 2000 and ate more fat and some sugar. Now I’m at about 75 and it feels optimal. Just need to hit the gym again and it should be great.

Are you working out too? I used to be 62kg, now at around 75kg and on a bulk with a personal trainer. Consistency is where I'm always going wrong.

Sugar really isn't necessary - you can maintain and bulk by eating clean.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
Calories in v calories out is the only way to lose fat.

apart from lipo  ::)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*

Correct.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan

Preach!

And every diet that is out there works off that basic principle, regardless of how it tries to sell/market itself.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.