Author Topic: Putting on weight/muscle  (Read 214693 times)

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
  • Killing threads and wrecking heads!
Re: Putting on weight/muscle
« Reply #2720 on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:00 am »
which pre? you should use creatine
Xtreme Napalm.

Also have ON Amino Energy.

Try not to take either if I'm training late so it doesn't effect my sleep but that's easier said then done.

Trying to cut a bit of weight tat the moment and have heard Creatine does a good job of retaining muscle while doing so but other people I talkto tell me stay away from it while trying to cut weight

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2721 on: August 22, 2017, 10:42:38 am »
Well it retains water but certainly not bodyfat. so if you want to look lean as hell for a show drop creatine but if you want to retain some size whilst cutting you should keep taking it.

Xtreme Napalm is a hilarious pre name by the way. take it for mental focus or pump?
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2722 on: August 22, 2017, 10:44:27 am »
Well it retains water but certainly not bodyfat. so if you want to look lean as hell for a show drop creatine but if you want to retain some size whilst cutting you should keep taking it.
Main focus is on maintaining the strength I've built up over the last while whil trying to lose a bit of weight.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2723 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:28 am »
keep taking creatine then, annoying I done my asda shop last night and forgot to bang it on the list, only a tenner there and lasts over a month.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2724 on: August 22, 2017, 02:51:36 pm »
keep taking creatine then, annoying I done my asda shop last night and forgot to bang it on the list, only a tenner there and lasts over a month.
Need to order protein this week so I'll add creatine to that order

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2725 on: August 22, 2017, 03:15:19 pm »
 :o

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2726 on: August 23, 2017, 04:47:22 pm »

I expect this to instantly happen when I take Creatine

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2727 on: August 23, 2017, 05:09:38 pm »

This you? ;D

My mate's been on various different cycles for the past two years (test eth, var, the whole lot), he's 23, weighs 102kg (lean enough and with a six pack, vascular all over) and I'd say he's not far off from that. He's going for shows around the UK shortly. Defo not my goal though, I'd be happy having a quarter of the muscle the bloke above has ;D

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2728 on: August 23, 2017, 05:51:08 pm »
I expect this to instantly happen when I take Creatine
;D ;D ;D Unquestionably.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2729 on: February 12, 2020, 09:48:00 pm »
Trying to add some muscle , you need what 3000 calories a day ? Been trying to do it last week just cant eat that much unless its pure garbage like biscuits etc how do you healthily eat 3000 calories ???
No time for caution.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2730 on: February 21, 2020, 10:21:06 am »
Trying to add some muscle , you need what 3000 calories a day ? Been trying to do it last week just cant eat that much unless its pure garbage like biscuits etc how do you healthily eat 3000 calories ???

How many calories you need depends on how much you currently weigh, how tall you are, your age and your level of physical activity. I can currently fluctuate from 12 stone to 16 stone depending on my gym goals; the amount of calories I start cutting with at 16 stone will be more than the amount of calories I start bulking with at 12 stone!

If you're struggling to consume what you need, get a protein mass gainer. You can get ones that are around 1200 calories per shake. Not the cleanest, but it'll do the trick:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Nutrition-Vitamins-Creatine-Glutamine/dp/B0015R36SK

But in general, your body adapts to eating more in the same way it adapts to lifting more. Eating 3000 calories might be difficult to do now, but it'll become easier by the day and eventually it won't seem like enough!

Also, if your sole aim is to put weight and muscle on, I wouldn't be too caught up on it needing to be healthy. Dirty bulking is a thing and it works. Not so much with biscuits or chocolate, but pizzas and burgers are high in calories and have nutritional value. If you need to snack, get some nuts. Other than that, just focus on meat, pasta, rice and bread etc.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:26:11 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #2731 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:17 am »
Are we absolutely sure about creatine as a supplement lads? I still have my doubts on its effects on the internal organs.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2732 on: August 16, 2020, 07:39:21 pm »
Are we absolutely sure about creatine as a supplement lads? I still have my doubts on its effects on the internal organs.

It's incredibly safe. There hasn't been a single study showing it has any negative effect on the liver or kidneys. Just don't take more than 5mg in one serving (cos if you do you might get the shits), and cycle off every now and again if you are worried (although you shouldn't be).
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2733 on: August 16, 2020, 07:47:34 pm »
You don't even need to cycle now according to the studies you can take it all year round.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2734 on: August 16, 2020, 09:37:21 pm »
Aye, creatine never seemed to do anything bad for me, and I took 3-5mg a day for over two years last time I did the gym thing properly. Didn't bother cycling off at all and I seemed fine. Might affect different people differently I guess but, as others have said, almost all the scientific literature on it (or at least the studies I've looked at which, granted, is not that many) suggests it's perfectly safe.

Have gyms reopened in England yet? In Scotland it looks like it'll be another month or so. I'm considering going back (hadn't been going regularly for a few years and had mostly reverted back to my nongym skinny fat self!) but am a bit paranoid as they seem like very risky environments in which the coronavirus could be easily transmissible. At the same time, I got fitter than I've been in a while over lock down - played a fair bit of basketball, did loads of bodyweight stuff - and would like to get back under a bar, as resistance bands and pullups and pressups, great as they are, just aren't the same.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2735 on: September 19, 2020, 05:30:23 pm »
I'm hoping that I've finally cracked it, six weeks now I signed up to the gym (probably the tenth gym of my life so far :lmao) I've managed to maintain 3 regular visits per week. I think it's because I've finally sprung for a more comfortable gym (Bannatynes) rather than the spit and sawdust ones I used to.

What I'm wondering though is if my workout is balanced. I'm trying to work out all areas evenly, don't want to be that guy who "skipped leg day" and would appreciate some guidance from you buffs.

I'll post this in the other relevant thread too so sorry for the repetition!

Day one: Bench Press - 4 sets of 8 to 12 @ 70%
Incline DB Press 4 sets of 8 to 12
One arm DB row 4 sets of 8 to 10
Dumbell Curl 4 sets of 12 to 15
Face Pull 4 sets of 12 to 15
Weighted Situp 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim

Day two:    Squats 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
   Deadlifts 4 sets of 8
   Bulgarian Split Squat 3 sets of 8-10 per leg
   Back Extension 3 sets of 10 to 12
   Leg Press 4 sets of 8 to 10
   Swim

Day three: Barbell overhead press 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
Dip 4 sets of 8
Assisted Pullup 4 sets of 8
Barbell Curl 4 sets of 10 to 12
Shrug 4 sets of 10 to 12
Hanging Leg Raise 4 sets of 12 to 15
Russian Twist 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2736 on: October 27, 2020, 11:30:00 pm »
Don't get injured!!

Tore my bicep from my elbow 6 weeks ago and I'm now 4 weeks post surgery. Fuck me it's ridiculous how quickly muscle disappears! I've lost an inch from my good bicep and nearly three inches from my not so good bicep and it's safe to say I look ridiculous (and also feel very insecure). Not even going down the rabbit hole of assessing my chest/shoulders/back.

Have worked on my legs and abs throughout so I'm all good there, and was doing some one arm stuff but you just don't get the same muscle engagement or benefits. Started to re-use my injured arm this week with exercises that don't put too much strain on the bicep and the most I could bench was 40% of what I could do pre-injury, whilst my shoulder press was down 70% and my lat raise was down 50%. Also have been doing a bit of direct rehab on the bicep with hammer curls and have got up to doing 8 reps with a 3kg dumbbell! I could do that with 25s previously!!

It's going to be a long road back and it's fucking with me mentally because I was in a really good place previously - I had cut down to my lowest weight in years and was just starting to bulk back up. Now instead I'm just trying to just keep my weight static until I can lift properly again to avoid putting on too much fat, but it just means feeling like a skeleton whilst losing all definition in the meantime.

I'm hoping that I've finally cracked it, six weeks now I signed up to the gym (probably the tenth gym of my life so far :lmao) I've managed to maintain 3 regular visits per week. I think it's because I've finally sprung for a more comfortable gym (Bannatynes) rather than the spit and sawdust ones I used to.

What I'm wondering though is if my workout is balanced. I'm trying to work out all areas evenly, don't want to be that guy who "skipped leg day" and would appreciate some guidance from you buffs.

I'll post this in the other relevant thread too so sorry for the repetition!

Day one: Bench Press - 4 sets of 8 to 12 @ 70%
Incline DB Press 4 sets of 8 to 12
One arm DB row 4 sets of 8 to 10
Dumbell Curl 4 sets of 12 to 15
Face Pull 4 sets of 12 to 15
Weighted Situp 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim

Day two:    Squats 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
   Deadlifts 4 sets of 8
   Bulgarian Split Squat 3 sets of 8-10 per leg
   Back Extension 3 sets of 10 to 12
   Leg Press 4 sets of 8 to 10
   Swim

Day three: Barbell overhead press 4 sets of 8 @ 70%
Dip 4 sets of 8
Assisted Pullup 4 sets of 8
Barbell Curl 4 sets of 10 to 12
Shrug 4 sets of 10 to 12
Hanging Leg Raise 4 sets of 12 to 15
Russian Twist 4 sets of 12 to 15
Swim

Hope you're still sticking at it! I think it's quite difficult to get a truly well balanced 3 day workout, most regimes are 4 days because it allows for an even upper/lower split or a push/pull split. Your lower day seems really intense with you having to cram everything into one session, especially with deadlifts and two versions of squats - I never do squats and deadlifts on the same day because both exercises completely do me in!

If I was doing three days I would honestly just do three all body workouts, based on the compound lifts with a few isolation exercises thrown in at the end. Or I would split it as chest and triceps, back and biceps and shoulders and legs:

Day one - bench press, incline press, flies, dips, tricep pull downs, abs
Day two - deadlifts, rows, lat pull downs, hammer curls, barbell curls
Day three - shoulder press, lat raises, squats, leg press, hamstring curls, calve raises, abs

If you are able to add in a fourth day, I would go with something like:

Day one - bench press, incline press, rows, face pulls, bicep curls, abs
Day two - deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, back extensions, leg press
Day three - shoulder press, pull ups, shrugs, dips, flies, tricep pull downs, abs
Day four - squats, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calve raises

Even if you can only do 3 days a week, there is nothing to say you can't do a 4 day regime - your first session every week doesn't need to be "day one".

Try and vary it up a little if you can as well. For example, don't be so set on doing dumbbell rows, change it up with seated rows or bent over rows or do more than one if you feel good and have time. Likewise with doing lat pulldowns instead of pull ups, lat raises or upright rows instead of shrugs and different types of bicep/tricep exercises. The variety is good for your body and good for building strength, and you'll eventually work out what you like doing and what your best exercises are.

Similarly, play around with your rep ranges every now and again. Don't be so strict with doing 8-12 reps of everything because you will soon plateau. Have some weeks where you go heavier for 5 reps or even 1-2 reps, then have deload weeks where you go light to let your body recover (advice I should have taken)!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:04:18 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2737 on: October 31, 2020, 12:12:02 pm »
Thanks mate I'll take that on board. Is there much wrong in adding one of each of those day four workouts to days one two and three? I note what you say about not having to stick to a rigid week and just have them as day one two three and four when I can get to the gym, but I really think I'd never get here x 4 with work as it is so would prefer to routine myself that way.

Also, I'm still using a Google sheet to track each session.any app recommendations? I don't mind spending few quid if it's good.

Finally yes I'm still going 3 per week (typing this in a rest actually) but could do with knowing how often to vary and push myself to low rep max volume days.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2738 on: November 1, 2020, 04:41:56 pm »
Bloody heck , guess it won't matter for a while now... Bloody covid.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2739 on: November 2, 2020, 12:07:15 am »
Thanks mate I'll take that on board. Is there much wrong in adding one of each of those day four workouts to days one two and three? I note what you say about not having to stick to a rigid week and just have them as day one two three and four when I can get to the gym, but I really think I'd never get here x 4 with work as it is so would prefer to routine myself that way.

Also, I'm still using a Google sheet to track each session.any app recommendations? I don't mind spending few quid if it's good.

Finally yes I'm still going 3 per week (typing this in a rest actually) but could do with knowing how often to vary and push myself to low rep max volume days.

It depends when your 3 days are really. If you're going 3 consecutive days I wouldn't recommend adding day 4 workouts because then you'll be working the same body parts without a rest day in between, but if you're going say Monday, Wednesday and Friday it would be fine. Could make the sessions quite long though!

So the day four workout I put up was legs (or lower). With rest days, you could add the quad exercises to day one and the hamstring exercises to day three (or vice versa). I wouldn't add them to day two as I would find them difficult on the same day as doing deadlifts, although maybe you could do the calf raises on that day. That's also why it wouldn't really work without rest days in between because for example you would work your legs on the first day then need them again the next day for deadlifts.. Which would then beat up your hamstrings before doing hamstring exercises the next day for day 3!

To be honest I just track my exercises/workouts on Excel. As long as you're keeping track is doesn't really matter how you do it!? At least with Excel and Google you can format everything how you want it, whereas I presume apps can be quite rigid.

With Covid just make sure you keep doing something and stay in some kind of routine, even if it's just bodyweight exercises at home. Will be to easy to fall into a routine of not bothering if you don't stay active.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2020, 12:10:24 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2740 on: December 28, 2020, 07:25:43 pm »
Can anyone recommend an app I can get on my phone that I can use to track my workouts and update like a diary with how much I lifted etc?

Been using the Notes app but it’s not ideal

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2741 on: January 22, 2021, 10:56:23 am »
Can anyone recommend an app I can get on my phone that I can use to track my workouts and update like a diary with how much I lifted etc?

Been using the Notes app but it’s not ideal

I use one called "strong" that is pretty good and I think it's free. https://www.strong.app/
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2742 on: March 8, 2021, 01:10:04 pm »
I'm trying to get leaner at the moment and one of the things I've done is swap out biscuits for almonds when I have a cup of tea (probably 3 times a day max).

Has anyone got any go to Tea accompaniments they would recommend. Would like to be able to mix it up a bit

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #2743 on: April 18, 2021, 04:29:23 pm »
I'm trying to get leaner at the moment and one of the things I've done is swap out biscuits for almonds when I have a cup of tea (probably 3 times a day max).

Has anyone got any go to Tea accompaniments they would recommend. Would like to be able to mix it up a bit
I know what you are saying man, but really, there us no good accompaniment for tea....