Author Topic: Putting on weight/muscle  (Read 214777 times)

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Putting on weight/muscle
« Reply #200 on: March 3, 2011, 10:46:18 am »
Turn 40
One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: March 3, 2011, 02:08:44 pm »
cheers for the replies.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline danthemanlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #202 on: March 9, 2011, 11:41:16 am »
Alright everyone  :wave,
Looks like there's a few guys on here who know what they're talking about so if anyone could cast an eye over this routine I did for myself I'd be most grateful!

Chest
Bench press
Incline Dumbbell Fly
Machine Chest Press
Decline close-grip bench
Dumbbell pull-over
Incline dumbbell press
Cable crossover
Pushups

Back
Chinups
Seated low row
Seated row
Cable straight arm pulldown
T-Bar bent over row
One-arm row
Barbell bent-over row
Back raise

Shoulders
Bar military press
Rear lateral raise
Front plate raise
Bar upright row
Machine shoulder press
Machine rear raise
Barbell front raise
Dumbbell lateral raise

Arms
Dumbbell curl
Lying triceps extension
Hammer curl
Dips
Seated preacher curl
Cable triceps pushdown
Dumbbell reverse curl
Triceps kickback

Legs
Barbell squat
Dead lift
Power clean
Barbell lunge
Machine leg press
Leg curl
Leg extension
Calf raises

Sorry for the length of the post!  ;D I go about 3x a week and at mo I'm ~200lbs/95kg at 6 foot 0. I try and do 3 sets of 10reps, moving the weight up once I get to 3x10

Not sure if I'm seeing the gains I'd like to be honest, especially when I see that I'm lifting heavier than a lot of other people at the gym who are much bigger than me.
I realise half of these are prob on steds! I'm just using creatine and whey at the mo and I think my diets pretty good. My aim is size and power, play footy for my uni and looking to get back into athletics (100m specifically, 10.8s pb, 7 years ago like!)

Anyway enough waffling, I just wanted to see what people made of this routine as I did it myself, mostly out of frustration at crap trainers at the gym
Cheers!

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #203 on: March 9, 2011, 11:46:14 am »
Too many exercises for each body part, and too many reps.

Controversial, but bump the weight up so you only do 6 a set, then go to utter failure you're last set.

And Sust+Deca is the way to go to pile te weight on!

"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline danthemanlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #204 on: March 9, 2011, 12:21:34 pm »

Controversial, but bump the weight up so you only do 6 a set, then go to utter failure you're last set.

Cheers for the input, I've read a lot of conflicting evidence re: 6 or 10 reps per set, was doing the former for most of last year, hard to compare the results to be honest.

Sust + deca? Can't say I've heard of them!

You think I should limit it to 6 exercises per routine then?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #205 on: March 9, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »

Are you doing all of that in each workout? If you are I'd say your not pushing yourself hard enough. If you were there's no way you could manage that in one session.

First off, if your doing a full body session then thats fine, but Id suggest maybe cutting down the exercises themselves and focussing on maybe two for each area (so 2 biceps, 2 triceps, 2 chest etc). The number of reps could possibly be looked at as well if your training for size. Rather than 3 sets of 10, try going for 5 sets of 5, or 6 sets of 4. If you do that, work with the idea of upping the weight each session - if you can manage 5 reps easily then its too light, up the weight. Similarly, if you can't manage 5 then its too heavy, so reduce the weight. Holding your form is vital, it's no use pushing 5 out at a weight that you can't handle without losing your form.

The other thing that you don't mention though, is your diet. That's just as important (if not more so) than your routine. What's that like? How much do you eat? How often? If your not gaining and your routine is decent it will more than likely be because your not eating enough to do so. Loads of protein. Loads of (complex) carbs. Good fats (fish, nuts). Fruit. Veg. Overall, a good balanced diet.

Oh, and don't worry about other people at the gym. They may be 'assisted', or they may just have been training for a lot longer than you. It takes a long time to gain lean mass. Patience is probably the fourth key ingredient (behind routine, diet and rest).
« Last Edit: March 9, 2011, 12:36:01 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #206 on: March 9, 2011, 12:50:28 pm »
Are you doing all of that in each workout? If you are I'd say your not pushing yourself hard enough. If you were there's no way you could manage that in one session.

First off, if your doing a full body session then thats fine, but Id suggest maybe cutting down the exercises themselves and focussing on maybe two for each area (so 2 biceps, 2 triceps, 2 chest etc). The number of reps could possibly be looked at as well if your training for size. Rather than 3 sets of 10, try going for 5 sets of 5, or 6 sets of 4. If you do that, work with the idea of upping the weight each session - if you can manage 5 reps easily then its too light, up the weight. Similarly, if you can't manage 5 then its too heavy, so reduce the weight. Holding your form is vital, it's no use pushing 5 out at a weight that you can't handle without losing your form.

The other thing that you don't mention though, is your diet. That's just as important (if not more so) than your routine. What's that like? How much do you eat? How often? If your not gaining and your routine is decent it will more than likely be because your not eating enough to do so. Loads of protein. Loads of (complex) carbs. Good fats (fish, nuts). Fruit. Veg. Overall, a good balanced diet.

Oh, and don't worry about other people at the gym. They may be 'assisted', or they may just have been training for a lot longer than you. It takes a long time to gain lean mass. Patience is probably the fourth key ingredient (behind routine, diet and rest).

Deffo a 5-day split that, or he'd be training for about 5 hours
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: March 9, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »

If he wants muscle hypertrophy he should do 10 reps a set. and take around 4 seconds a rep. And if your getting stronger but not getting bigger eat more. seriously.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline IanMac

• Oldest under 16 in the Halliwell Jones
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 9, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »
I have had a few knee issues in the last year and put a bit of tank on due to the inactivity. I am now back at the gym and on a general fat loss and upper body strength programme. This has been put in place by my physio before my next major procedure where crutches will be needed for 4 months. Obviously to lose the fat bit I need to be stringent with the calorie intake etc but am struggling to make a difference with my upper body. I think it must be due to my diet and a lack of protein etc due to eating less to lose the fat. My muscle recovery time is also horrendous. Any advice on any supplements etc i can consider so my weight loss isn't compromised while i get decent results in the strength department? Cheers.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 9, 2011, 02:01:05 pm »
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 9, 2011, 06:41:33 pm »
I have had a few knee issues in the last year and put a bit of tank on due to the inactivity. I am now back at the gym and on a general fat loss and upper body strength programme. This has been put in place by my physio before my next major procedure where crutches will be needed for 4 months. Obviously to lose the fat bit I need to be stringent with the calorie intake etc but am struggling to make a difference with my upper body. I think it must be due to my diet and a lack of protein etc due to eating less to lose the fat. My muscle recovery time is also horrendous. Any advice on any supplements etc i can consider so my weight loss isn't compromised while i get decent results in the strength department? Cheers.

Sorry to break it but its near impossible to add strength while eating below maitenance. you can stay at the same strength, but your body hasnt got the nutrients to build itself up  bigger and badder than before cause your purposely starving yourself of them.

Your body uses the calories it gets for important things, like brain function, food digestion, takes care of the main stuff and what evers left it uses to build up muscles. Thats why most people advise eating more when trying to build up, but then obvs if you are trying to cut recovery can take longer than usual, and can leave you feeling run down, especially on a low carb diet.

And people buy supplements because they are easy and people think a quick fix, dont, instead go to asda and buy 3 frozen chickens and a pack of 30 eggs. Much more nutritional value than a 15 quid protein shake.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2011, 06:43:42 pm by Thepepereina »
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline IanMac

• Oldest under 16 in the Halliwell Jones
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 9, 2011, 07:01:28 pm »
Sorry to break it but its near impossible to add strength while eating below maitenance. you can stay at the same strength, but your body hasnt got the nutrients to build itself up  bigger and badder than before cause your purposely starving yourself of them.

Your body uses the calories it gets for important things, like brain function, food digestion, takes care of the main stuff and what evers left it uses to build up muscles. Thats why most people advise eating more when trying to build up.
Cheers for that. Not sure which way to tackle it now. I need to lose the fat as i will only pile more on when inactive again but need strength too as crutches are going to be seriously hard work!
Back to the drawing board i think.
The protein shakes etc are pure convenience when you work 12 hr days. Can't cook a chicken in work!

Offline Sim6

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #212 on: March 9, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »
Cheers for the input, I've read a lot of conflicting evidence re: 6 or 10 reps per set, was doing the former for most of last year, hard to compare the results to be honest.

Sust + deca? Can't say I've heard of them!

You think I should limit it to 6 exercises per routine then?

I agree, far too much volume. Try to stick to 2 - 4 exercises per body part and for rep wise its usually 1-3 reps for mass gains, 3-6 rpes for strength gains and anything over 10 is for muscular endurance.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 9, 2011, 10:18:56 pm »

What, no TREN?

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 9, 2011, 10:31:13 pm »
What, no TREN?

Tren? Clen... steroids...nooo!

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: March 9, 2011, 10:33:19 pm »
put half a stone on me in the last week. thats a lot. want to get back to 13 stone, or just over. im 12 1/2 now.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: March 9, 2011, 11:06:54 pm »
I agree, far too much volume. Try to stick to 2 - 4 exercises per body part and for rep wise its usually 1-3 reps for mass gains, 3-6 rpes for strength gains and anything over 10 is for muscular endurance.

Other way round, low reps for strength and 6-10 good reps for muscle hypertrophy.

And by good reps, I mean controlled negatives and general good form.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 9, 2011, 11:56:01 pm »
Cheers for that. Not sure which way to tackle it now. I need to lose the fat as i will only pile more on when inactive again but need strength too as crutches are going to be seriously hard work!
Back to the drawing board i think.
The protein shakes etc are pure convenience when you work 12 hr days. Can't cook a chicken in work!

lose the fat while you can. Its relatively easier geting stronger than getting slimmer.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:46 am »
Mix up your training

Strength 4-6 weeks

Train heavy, 6-8 reps

Now for the pain

4-6 weeks

every set you do, make sure you get 15 reps, doing squats you should be on the verge of throwing up.

4-6 weeks or negatives

controlled reps of 8-10, 3 -4 seconds down and explosive up.

It's about shocking your body constantly, never let your muscles get use to a particular routine. But you have got to eat right too. and most of all say your prayers and eat your vitamins!! oh wait that was Hulk Hogan.
Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline danthemanlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2011, 02:24:03 am »

Nah I'm doing chest one day then back the next and so forth, 8 exercises per muscle group per routine. So in a 2 week period I'll do chest then back two days later then shoulders, then arms then legs then back to the chest routine.

I think my diet is pretty ok, getting more than enough protein in and eating at regular intervals as much as possible

Offline mikeinsheffield88

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2011, 11:16:24 pm »
Tren? Clen... steroids...nooo!

Are you talking about Tren-Bomb? This stuff; http://www.cardiffsportsnutrition.co.uk/products/Pharma-Labs-Tren-Bomb-60-capsules.html

That isn't a steroid is it?

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2011, 11:45:02 pm »
^

Yeah im pretty sure thats a steriod with skimming it, if you have to do a PCT then yeah.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2011, 12:03:55 am »
^

Yeah im pretty sure thats a steriod with skimming it, if you have to do a PCT then yeah.

In that case, why isn't it illegal to sell?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2011, 12:09:14 am »
By the way I would just like to state that I am in no way an expert on this or drug/ steroids/ law in general but I presumed that steroids were Class C (http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=170).

If tren-bomb is a steroid how can a sports nutrition store sell it so openly?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:12:32 am by mikeinsheffield88 »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:18 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trenbolone
By the way I would just like to state that I am in no way an expert on this or drug/ steroids/ law in general but I presumed that steroids were Class C (http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=170).

If tren-bomb is a steroid how can a sports nutrition store sell it so openly?

They are not illegal to possess for personal use. I don't know what class that makes them.

I wouldn't encourage using gear. Those sites are most definately fake/scams. Tren is one of the strongest roids out. It was initially designed for cattle, to bulk them and put on meat. It was never intended for human use untill underground labs started creating pellets to inject. Check it out here:

For example; if testosterone has an anabolic rating of 100 and androgenic rating of 100, Tren has a rating of 500 & 500. That's an idea of how strong it is.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:35:44 am by Magin85 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »

They are not illegal to possess for personal use. I don't know what class that makes them.

I wouldn't encourage using gear. Those sites are most definately fake/scams. Tren is one of the strongest roids out. It was initially designed for cattle, to bulk them and put on meat. It was never intended for human use untill underground labs started creating pellets to inject. Check it out here:

For example; if testosterone has an anabolic rating of 100 and androgenic rating of 100, Tren has a rating of 500 & 500. That's an idea of how strong it is.

Thanks for the reply, interesting and pretty scary stuff.

I certainly have no plans to use any steroid I was just interested as I have been looking into using supplements such as creatine, glutamine, CLA, etc and so was doing some internet research and came across tren bomb. Its a real shop in Cardiff and is (possibly, not 100% sure) part of a group of sports shops all on the same street all owned by the same company (each shop specialises in one sport and there is about 5 of them on the same road) this is its off-shoot website. I thought as it was so openly for sale it must be legal.

I cannot understand how a shop/ site can get away with selling something like this in the UK? Either it isn't trenbolone (it does say tren-bomb not trenbolone but that surely suggests that trenbolone is present, no?) or it is a form of trenbolone and thats the same as just selling any class C drug over the internet, ketamine for example?

According to these government sources trenbolone is class C http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/pas-class-c.pdf which as most know carries in the UK a sentence if caught selling of upto 14 years and/ or an unlimited fine, and for possession up to 2 years in prison and/or unlimited fine http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/CrimeAndJustice/TypesOfCrime/DG_10027693

It is quite difficult when researching these supplements as the majority of the time an unbiased source is impossible to find. Your normally looking at a website trying to sell you said supplement which is obvisouly going to provide you with selective information.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2011, 01:07:42 pm »

Are you talking about tren-bomb capsules? Have you got a source for that?

That suggests that tren-bomb is not trenbolone (as trenbolone is class C) ^^^

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »
I was referring to steroids in general. However, these things change so often and Tren could possibly be in a class on it's own because it is so strong.

Just performed a quick search and came up with this:

All the steroids we use ( BUT NOT VETINERARY ) + Growth Hormone is legal to possess and import for personal use.

Steroids are now Class 'C' under the Misuse Of Drugs Act. but they also come under the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001. Schedule 4 part 2 this make them exempt so you can possess for your own personal use.

http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=170

Tren comes under the "VETINERARY" so it's not surprising that it comes under a different class of legality.

Are you talking about tren-bomb capsules? Have you got a source for that?

That suggests that tren-bomb is not trenbolone (as trenbolone is class C) ^^^

Tren comes in pellet form (known as finaplex) or in oil form (known as Trenbolone acetate or enanthate). It doesn't come in tablet form. Those "supplements" you get from those websites are fake and are very likely to contain little to no anabolic steroids what-so-ever. Therefore they don't have to worry about the legalities. Some other websites will disguise themselves as chemists to get your money aswell.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:57:31 pm by Magin85 »

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2011, 05:32:14 pm »
all i have been doing is eating lately and still cant put on weight, how do i put on wieght in me legs and arms as well, food just goes to your stomach.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2011, 11:38:50 pm »
I was referring to steroids in general. However, these things change so often and Tren could possibly be in a class on it's own because it is so strong.

Just performed a quick search and came up with this:

http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=170

Tren comes under the "VETINERARY" so it's not surprising that it comes under a different class of legality.

Tren comes in pellet form (known as finaplex) or in oil form (known as Trenbolone acetate or enanthate). It doesn't come in tablet form. Those "supplements" you get from those websites are fake and are very likely to contain little to no anabolic steroids what-so-ever. Therefore they don't have to worry about the legalities. Some other websites will disguise themselves as chemists to get your money aswell.

Sorry I am a bit confused?!

Are you saying that tren-bomb is a fake steroid or are you saying that tren-bomb is classed as vetinary and so thats how they sell it?

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2011, 11:54:27 pm »
frigin hell this has gone on for a few posts, it may or may not be a steroid, who cares, workout 3 times a week, have a good diet and fuck ur steroids  :wave
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2011, 12:41:49 am »
frigin hell this has gone on for a few posts, it may or may not be a steroid, who cares, workout 3 times a week, have a good diet and fuck ur steroids  :wave

Haha, yes mate as I said earlier I have absoloutely no intention of using steroids I just cannot understand how someone can get away with selling something like this so openly?!

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2011, 01:11:01 am »
Sorry I am a bit confused?!

Are you saying that tren-bomb is a fake steroid or are you saying that tren-bomb is classed as vetinary and so thats how they sell it?

There's no such steroid that i'm aware of called tren-bomb. That site and many others offering similar produ cts are all fake. There is however an oral steroid called an A-bomb. Won't do your liver any good though as it's 17-AA. By that i mean it has added chemicals to ensure it can pass through your liver and be absorbed. Although, the stress that puts on your liver is the equivalent to drinking a couple of bottle of vodkas a day. It's that harsh.

The PepeReina hit the nail on the head, im just a member of a bodybuilding site and happen to know abit about them.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2011, 01:17:41 am »
Haha, yes mate as I said earlier I have absoloutely no intention of using steroids I just cannot understand how someone can get away with selling something like this so openly?!
There might be something dodgy in them. for example sports people have taken medecines, only to fail drugs tests as there is banned substances in them.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2011, 01:22:28 am »
all i have been doing is eating lately and still cant put on weight, how do i put on wieght in me legs and arms as well, food just goes to your stomach.

Eat approx 6-8 meals a day and combine this with a weight training program. Base your diet around complex carb intake and ensure that half of your calorie intake is from proteins and that you consume a gram of protein proportional to each pound of bodyweight (i.e if your 180lb eat 180 grams of protein) Your also best advised to invest in some supps like a good meal replacement shake and a whey AND casein shake. Also, anytime you eat a carbohydrate, include a lean protein source as well; this will help steady blood sugar levels and corresponding insulin release. Want big Arms? pay attention to both the bicep and tricep (the tri is 2/3 of your arm) try skullcrushers, pushdowns and close grip benchpress - for bicep try barbell and dumbbell curls. Big Legs - squats rule!
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2011, 11:40:00 am »

You can't target a specific bodypart to put weight on mate unfortunately. Best thing to do is get yourself to the gym and target which areas you want to grow and start blasting them with high weight low repetitions. For example 6x3 leg press and goto absolute failure on the last set.

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:51 am »
is there a good way to deal with the muscle soreness that occurs 24-48 hours after a session?

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »
is there a good way to deal with the muscle soreness that occurs 24-48 hours after a session?
yeh, man up  ;)
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2011, 01:32:24 pm »
yeh, man up  ;)

does that come as a drink or a powder?

Offline Sim6

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2011, 01:33:54 pm »

Get plenty of protein and some carbs down your neck after the workout will help : )