Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3448725 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #55040 on: August 12, 2022, 04:05:12 am »
I haven't watched Prey yet, but I absolutely 100% agree with most of this post. Jay from RLM said something similar too. I actually remarked about something similar the other day when I was watching something on TV, and without even knowing what it was, I asked "this is some shite off of Netflix, isn't it?". Needless to say, the answer was yes. The give away? How it looked. It was a shite horror film that had Brian Cox and the fella from Homeland in it. Don't know the name, but the most off putting thing about it was how garish and pristine it looked. Everything looked like it was perfectly framed, and over-lit. There was no grit to it. Nothing to indicate that there was someone with vision behind the camera. It was like a by the numbers template where everything looked surgically clean, giving it a veneer of falseness, like everything was just too perfect and digitally correct. Literally everything on Netflix that I've watched has this look to it, and I find it unappealing and disgusting to look at. By contrast, I was flicking through the TV a week or so ago, and came across Starsky and Hutch. I mistook it for a film because of the way it was shot. Gritty, realistic, imperfect, but yet perfect for the eyes. This is a TV show made in the 70's? Yet to me, it looked it had far more craft than the souless shite polluting these streaming services.
Yeah, it's like they made an algorithm to find out what's the most pleasing looking LUT for general audiences and applied it to every fucking movie and show. So even if they think this movie or show is shit, they will still find it pleasant enough to look at on their OLED TV. It's a really cynical thought, but I don't think it's far from the truth. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a grittier uglier version of Prey, that the people on Disney didn't like, because it looked too harsh, and had the filmmakers change it to something prettier and more appealing.

I remember reading once upon a time, a list of all the norms and regulations production companies had to comply with, to make content for Netflix. This was when they really started to crank up all the shite they make. It was incredibly comprehensive and specific. So it isn't surprising that most of their products have this standardized "look".

I think It's partly the fault of the digitalization of cinema cameras, which apart from losing the inherent cinematic look that film possesses, makes it easier and less expensive for filmmakers to make movies. Which in part makes the craft part less important, and so the quality degrades. But mostly it's in the way industrial way this streaming services try to pop up content, without caring about the actual quality of the product. It just has to look nice and shiny and it's ready to be consumed. Like any other product.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:28:21 am by Lastrador »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55041 on: August 12, 2022, 06:05:03 am »
Prey was shot with the Alexa Mini, the same digital camera Roger Deakins has used since the early 2010's (including on Blade Runner 2049 and 1917), a lot of the latter seasons of Game Of Thrones also used the Alexa.  Prey was also predominantly shot under natural light for the daytime scenes, with the Alexa, during day shots, what you see on screen is what the camera shot, it adds very, very little artifice. 

However, for the night scenes there has to be a certain artifice because of the lighting issues.  You can use lamps/torches for some of it but eventually most night scenes will have to use a condor (think a sort of mobile floodlight) or a softbox, this will make the end result seem 'softer'.  While I had no problem with the night scenes, some obviously did, that could of been a result of the DP trying to use as much natural light as possible.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #55042 on: August 12, 2022, 08:22:11 am »
I disagree completely with that. Every decision in Predator is made, from the casting to the cinematography, to make the universe look as harsh and dangerous as possible. It's not just one element, it's all of them. And sorry, but are Comanches supposed to look nice and unthreatening? They were one, if not the most feared and brutal Native American tribe. So that point doesn't really stick.

the  filim was shot in the dry season as shooting in the wet season is impossible

as such they were limited to using areas near water, gullies for want of a better word, as that was the only areas that according to the director was green enough and a number of areas they utilised that weren't ravines were heavily watered with fire hoses regularly to artificially bring the vegetation into a lusher state to make it green enough -enabling them to have some 'flat' areas for filming where the scene just wouldn't be possible if shooting on slopes

it was necessity that made them film in the most difficult of all areas, steep slopes for most of it, a choice according to McTiernan no one in their right mind would make if there were viable other options

with regard to the comanches, it's very obvious that film does not portray them as you describe them, the film doesn't really 'go there' - probably cos the film isn't about conflict with other humans but an alien - compare the characters and my point stands, Predator goes out of its way to signal we are all badasses, kind of the point isn't it? it's an ongoing joke through the film that they take the piss out of Dillon (Weathers) for going soft as the pen pusher - the dude with muscles on his eyelids  ;D apart from her brother who is seen as an accomplished hunter the movie doesn't portray any other characters in the fashion you describe (historically you're not wrong with regards to their reputation - tho that has been challenged for its accuracy, just for completeness)

that a young female still honing her skills is the lead character is enough on its own to highlight the chalk and cheese nature between the two sets of characters

im pretty sure it was arnie himself who said he always wanted to make a film like The Wild Bunch or Kelly's Heroes and this (Predator) was that, and if you know those films you know very well what he's getting at

the fact remains a pristine habitat was shot well imo in Prey, and in Predator they also wanted to use a pristine habitat, hence shooting where it was more difficult on slopes next to water and also cos as McTiernan said, 'no one goes there', so it had the appearance of a green lush jungle that he wanted in those areas and those areas they used that didn't they artificially watered to bring it up to pristine condition

which i do find somewhat ironic, both movies were looking for pristine natural habitat for their setting but if any film used artifice for its look it was Predator

now i've got no problem with that, from them reguarly trimming out jungle to allow for longer more open shots cos it was too enclosed to watering the fucking jungle, the results were great but instead of slating Prey as too clean for representing the scenery as it is/was just take it on the chin that you dont like it aesthetically, that's your perogative, that's fine but to frame it as some cinematic faux pas is way off the mark - they shot what was there, as Lamarr has detailed, if you didn't like that, fine, i fucking loved it myself and clearly the director was happy with it aesthetically too and i dont think he deserves criticism for that, dude did a good job and we finally have a good Predator film, it's been a while......

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:42:11 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55043 on: August 12, 2022, 09:02:29 am »
Interesting debate lads. And now I have to watch it - so I can find out which camp I end up in ;D
@Yvanicuzz

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55044 on: August 12, 2022, 02:40:50 pm »
Interesting debate lads. And now I have to watch it - so I can find out which camp I end up in ;D

Hopefully, it’s an appropriately shot camp.

Off topic, just saw Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. Absolutely wonderful. My favourite film this year.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55045 on: August 13, 2022, 09:56:51 am »
Hopefully, it’s an appropriately shot camp.

Off topic, just saw Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. Absolutely wonderful. My favourite film this year.

yeah that was a throughly enjoyable watch that seemed to come out of nowhere

i dont watch trailers generally cos i like to know as little as possible going in but you still see stuff, get a hint here and there of what's coming etc, that came as a total surprise to me

Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55046 on: August 13, 2022, 09:59:48 am »

It has been interesting, more technical than anything I know. Nice one Las and Armand, it's been interesting to read :)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55047 on: August 13, 2022, 01:40:31 pm »
Can't say any of these apparent issues with Prey bothered me, I thought it was a fantastic movie that build well from the start.

Spoiler
I think they did a great job of building up the main character as someone capable of taking down a predator from the start. Her being ignored as not a threat, learning about it's vision being based on heat, how it's weapons worked, that it can be injured pretty easily, all of that led to a fight that she was able to massively stack in her favour from the opening arrow shot.

She's no Arnie in terms of size, but then his squad was full of massive dudes that got torn apart with ease, in the end it was more about strategy than pure strength, same here.

The only thing that slightly bugged me was the videogame-esque roped axe, it looked really cool and she was able to do some great things with it, but it just felt far too much like a Captain America's shield situation. Oh and the main character showing up at the end with a severed alien head and covered with glowing blood, only for her camp to not really give a shit.

[close]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 01:42:12 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55048 on: August 13, 2022, 08:54:14 pm »
the thing is, after the original predator, you can't just do that fantastic teased drawn out revelation again hoping for the same impact and i thought they hit a good middle ground on that.

Spoiler
the whole premise is different here, they threw out Alien VS Predator as canon and made this the first visit of a predator to earth. Hence, why we see him working his way up the food chain taking trophies as he observes the planet's predators. Predator and subsequent movies (not including xenomorphs) showed us a more accomplished, fully kitted out antagonist who only had eyes for humans, knowing they were the top predators and who was very careful going about his killing, hunting individuals and even in group scenarios picking individuals off from 'cover' and even knowing when it was time to run and come back another day.

In this movie we have what i assume is an inexperienced Yautja (as they call themselves, Predator is our name for them), which is mirroring Naru's journey of 'killing something that is trying to kill you' - kütaamia, as they called it. Whatever, it's a rights of passage movie for Naru and possibly for him. We see him get tagged even by the animals he hunts before moving on to humans. And later while fighting humans he gets absolutely blasted on a few occasions, the dude is taking some major damage - with next to no armour and a more primitive first aid kit. Unlike the more advanced Predators we're used to, he's more than willing to jump into a crowd and go toe to toe, one of the reasons he takes such a beating over the course of the movie. Retreating, reassing and coming back to fight another day isn't even in this dude's vocabularly, he's more animalistic with everything in your face (the grizzly fight was a great example of that).

In the final fight, it begins with him being shot clean through the head at close range, even for a Yautja, that shit is debilitating. So they built up the possibilty that this very smart but physically insignificant comanche had a chance against a predator that has been beaten the shit out of by the time we get to the finale. She beats him with her brain effectively, which is what arnie did really in the first one, even he couldn't hope to match the physical prowess of his enemy.

Now i dont like the helmet kill at the end - they do set this up in we see her observing that it is his helmet that enables him to target his projectiles. But for me, it's still too much of a stretch for her to intellectually breakdown and then utilise a technology so alien to her and so outside of her brain's scope of understanding, even tho we have witnessed she's a very smart individual that can think outside of the box. With the predator having taken so much damage and in a vulnerable position, i'd liked to have seen a method of delivering the coup de grace more in keeping with her times.

So yeah, overall i think they did a good job there. If this was the Predator from the original movie, everything would've been wiped out without laying a glove on him with his armour, plasma weapons and smarter approach.

On a side note, something i wasn't aware of that i thought was cool - in the final act she whistles to attract the predator to the trapper bait to kick things off. Traditionally whistling at night is forbidden by comanches as it's viewed as calling down spirits. Which is a nice nod to her character -  i dont give a fuck, whatever it takes - and the native lore we saw at the very start when she tells her brother she had seen a thunderbird, a supernatural being of power and strength - to her this is a corporeal spirit and i think that's fucking fair enough  ;D
[close]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 07:21:30 am by Armand9 »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #55049 on: August 13, 2022, 09:32:39 pm »
Finally seen the Elvis film….

What a great performance!  But the film drags on far far too long and key events in the story didn’t happen…which I found really irritating.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #55050 on: August 13, 2022, 10:32:08 pm »
Can't say any of these apparent issues with Prey bothered me, I thought it was a fantastic movie that build well from the start.

Fourteen minutes in, Pred kills a rattlesnake. Fucking awesome.

Less than three minutes later, Naru's brother - the early 18th century warrior - says: "I got this." Fuck's sake.

Still, it was very good overall.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55051 on: August 13, 2022, 11:20:27 pm »
yeah that was a throughly enjoyable watch that seemed to come out of nowhere

i dont watch trailers generally cos i like to know as little as possible going in but you still see stuff, get a hint here and there of what's coming etc, that came as a total surprise to me

I watched the latest dr strange the next night and it faired badly as a result.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #55052 on: August 13, 2022, 11:38:22 pm »

Less than three minutes later, Naru's brother - the early 18th century warrior - says: "I got this." Fuck's sake.

The language usage was my biggest beef.

Whilst I didn’t expect the Comanches to talk like Tonto it was disconcerting that they talked like they were in any other American High School romcom - the ones with the jocks, quarterbacks and cheer leaders.

For the record the Comanche were the most effective and violent of the Plains Tribes and there is talk of ‘Empire if the summer moon’ being made into a film, although I doubt they would get a rating if they showed any of the tortures they inflicted on their enemies whether they be white or other tribes.
https://scgwynne.com/product/empire-of-the-summer-moon

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55053 on: August 14, 2022, 01:44:14 am »
if they're going with the english, they made a smart move by announcing the film with Naru as the narrator - so we're hearing her thoughts, memories, just in a Star Trek universal translator kind of way. So by doing that they make the fact it's all english work, and the reason why the French trappers make no sense to her and that isn't subtitled in the film (normally that would be subtitled), keeping that illusion of it being in her own tongue

so in that regard i think they done all they could with the studio choice of running with it in english

as noted above, the dialogue could've been better, yes they dont want to go with hollywood stilted 'indian' speak as this would be the worst decision of all and so they chose an english version based on modern phrasing/usage rather than those of the times (that would break the illusion of the narrator's language and make no sense at all)

it aint the cool kids on the block modern thank fuck, just usage and phrasing that would sound normal to our ear but there are some poor choices like the one quoted above (the irony would be if 'i got this' is a comanche idiom  ;D) - a bit like if the film was set in Greenland with Innuit characters speaking english and one says pass me my anorak and your mate says fuck that's jarring, then you point out english appropriated that word from the Innuit anoraq

it would be interesting to see how the dialogue 'reads' in the comanche version - i should watch it in that really but watching subs isn't really practical for my set up and so im glad there is the english version

language usage and entymology has always interested me and i've had many long conversation on this very topic in the past (Last of the Mohicans, a prime example) and when you try to construct your version of what you would do, outside of mother tongue (even that isnt' necessarily straightforward), it's far from easy

the fact Prey only has two languages to worry about (with one hardly used) and isn't heavy on dialogue helps it

imagine Last of the Mohicans with different native tribes with multiple dialects and English and French speakers heavily featured as well and they're all interacting - that is an absolute nightmare outside of subtitling mother tongue throughout

For the record the Comanche were the most effective and violent of the Plains Tribes and there is talk of ‘Empire if the summer moon’ being made into a film, although I doubt they would get a rating if they showed any of the tortures they inflicted on their enemies whether they be white or other tribes.
https://scgwynne.com/product/empire-of-the-summer-moon

im sure I've seen the story of Cynthia Ann Parker in film - or maybe it was a character based on her? hmm, uncertain, i've known her story for forever so it may have just been borrowing source material and i recognised it as such, cos i dont recall her child featuring, just her story of capture/naturalisation/'rescue'/going back (that said im sure they used her name). it was really old and in B&W, i recall that much.

Tortures - Soldier Blue got a rating in the early 70s, so maybe? If it's a political thing, both sides were guilty of torture and attrocities so they could maybe view that as 'balancing it out', if it's an extreme violence related thing, rape/gangrape was common on both sides, as was mutilation and torture, as was killing of pregnant women and babies, we've seen all that before, even the proponents taking joy in carrying these things out. What i cant recall is seeing a movie that ran the whole gamut of everything we know all crammed into one movie, and if it was a good script i dont know they'd even need to do that anyway. That's what documentaries are for, rather than movies.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 02:39:03 am by Armand9 »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #55054 on: August 14, 2022, 10:23:03 pm »
1/3rd of the way through Prey.

Spoiler
if the dog dies i'm going to be fucking pissed
[close]

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55055 on: August 15, 2022, 12:10:56 am »
1/3rd of the way through Prey.

Spoiler
if the dog dies i'm going to be fucking pissed
[close]

Ok good!

Enjoyed Prey a lot, definitely one of the better shot and executed Predator movies. Probably second best to the original for me though.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55056 on: August 15, 2022, 02:26:36 am »
Ok good!

Enjoyed Prey a lot, definitely one of the better shot and executed Predator movies. Probably second best to the original for me though.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55057 on: August 15, 2022, 03:02:46 am »

I’m taking all the predator movies not just the first one. It wasn’t dark for me :P

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55058 on: August 15, 2022, 03:12:33 am »
I’m taking all the predator movies not just the first one. It wasn’t dark for me :P
I think that was only Andy.  :D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55059 on: August 15, 2022, 03:14:51 am »
I think that was only Andy.  :D

Haha fair enough.

Spoiler
oh btw with the helmet weapon, she does see how it works when her brother knocks the helmet off and the projectiles embed themselves in the tree in front of her. But as for getting him to stand in that exact spot in the end is ridiculous.
[close]

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55060 on: August 15, 2022, 09:52:24 am »

That bit did jar with me too actually!

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55061 on: August 15, 2022, 04:06:34 pm »
Prey was ok but the main protagonist was a right arsehole. Predator 2 was miles better. I would put it on par with Predators which was fine.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #55062 on: August 15, 2022, 04:31:01 pm »
I saw the Northman last week.  It's certainly a film, I'll say that for it.

Bjork turns up as a mystical mad soothsayer and it's the most sensible part of the film. Alexander Skarsgaard is fucking ripped, I have to say.  He must have got all that Marvel magic juice.

It makes Eggers previous films The Lighthouse and The VVitch look like a sitcom (well that one did have Chris Finch in a lead role, after all. Bloody good sales rep).  Completely mad and utterly compelling.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55063 on: August 15, 2022, 05:10:58 pm »
Watched a British made film called pride last night on Netflix ,  a heartwarming and funny in parts true story about a group of gay and lesbians from london organising themselves to collect for the miners during the 84 strike and the tale of them getting a miners group to accept the money .

A Welsh striking village accept the cash and invite them to visit the working man’s club and stay , the prejudices come out but are soon slowly changed with a lovely ending .

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55064 on: August 15, 2022, 07:55:43 pm »
I saw the Northman last week.  It's certainly a film, I'll say that for it.

Bjork turns up as a mystical mad soothsayer and it's the most sensible part of the film. Alexander Skarsgaard is fucking ripped, I have to say.  He must have got all that Marvel magic juice.

It makes Eggers previous films The Lighthouse and The VVitch look like a sitcom (well that one did have Chris Finch in a lead role, after all. Bloody good sales rep).  Completely mad and utterly compelling.

I saw The Northman at small arts theatre in Bristol, probably about fifty people in attendance.  Two thirds in that fifty turned into about five, including me and the wife.

Personally, I loved it, one of my favourite films of the year, but I fully understand why others might hate it.  A strange film alright.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55065 on: August 15, 2022, 10:49:14 pm »
I saw The Northman at small arts theatre in Bristol, probably about fifty people in attendance.  Two thirds in that fifty turned into about five, including me and the wife.

Personally, I loved it, one of my favourite films of the year, but I fully understand why others might hate it.  A strange film alright.

yeah, i think i said on here it certainly wasn't what i was expecting, it was a smaller flim in scope and more 'rural' (for want of a better word) than i had envisaged - i was thinking more The Vikings (1958) when i saw the promotion thumbnails

but for the setting they chose, i thought it was really interesting in its absolutely brutal portrayal, compelling stuff, i rated it highly

Prey was ok but the main protagonist was a right arsehole. Predator 2 was miles better. I would put it on par with Predators which was fine.

when i first saw Prey i put it on equal footing with P2 as second best in the franchise, the original being the best clearly and let's be frank, it's not gonna be bettered (similar to Alien, Terminator and The Thing [tho technically a remake but not really*], for some major reasons i wont go into here). having watched P2 again recently, i'd have Prey edging it out - there's still lots i love about P2 but the script and esp the dialogue, not the best and that's being kind. And it's not an 'of the times' type thing, Aliens was similar in timing/2nd in series/genre yet has a great script and dialogue. I'm not pissing on P2 tho, like i said, i liked it alot and totally understand those who would still rank it 2nd.

*a great short interview with Carpenter about the source material for those interested
https://www.youtube.com/v/q0FhSHqGg74

(i remember as a kid seeing the original 1951 B&W he references and it scared the fuck out of me, but Carpenter defo made the right choice.)

Incidentally, for those who love this genre there are some fanastic old B&W movies from the 50s that still hold up and well worth watching, the aforementioned The Thing from Another World (1951), Them! (1954), The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) a little outside the genre, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) the best version by a million miles, an absolute classic and maybe the best 'paranoia' movie ever, it is genuinely terrifying in that aspect - Kevin McCarthy in the lead role is fucking stellar, there's more but those would be my first picks)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:57:52 pm by Armand9 »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55066 on: August 16, 2022, 12:21:10 am »
Loved the Northman. Was a bit jarring when I recognised local places and actors/extras I know every so often.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55067 on: August 16, 2022, 06:43:01 am »
Havent seen anyone mention Moonfall in here. I am usually quite partial to a disaster movie but this was a little too much. Only thing I can say about it is Halle Berry is in it. Its on prime if anyone has 2 hours to spare.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55068 on: August 16, 2022, 09:52:09 am »
Havent seen anyone mention Moonfall in here. I am usually quite partial to a disaster movie but this was a little too much. Only thing I can say about it is Halle Berry is in it. Its on prime if anyone has 2 hours to spare.

Saw it in the pictures.

Batshit crazy, but fun for a romp.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #55069 on: August 16, 2022, 10:32:02 am »
Moonfall was a cut and paste Emmerich movie. Parallel story lines of people with their little lives, and all connecting at the end. The usual stranded due to <insert disaster> and they must reunite (rest of humanity be damned).

It's lightweight fun, but we've had so many superhero movies since those days of ID4 that whatever's going on just doesn't seem so impactful anymore.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55070 on: August 16, 2022, 04:07:21 pm »
i got the vibe of if simon pegg did a space film

which for me isn't a good thing, tho i like hot fuzz

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #55071 on: August 17, 2022, 12:30:20 am »
RIP Wolfgang Petersen of Das Boot, Air Force One and Perfect Storm, among so many other movies. Blessed with talent.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55072 on: August 17, 2022, 08:05:22 pm »
Not sure i've ever witnessed a film more undeserving of the hype than that Prey.

Spoiler
The predator was an arsehole. steals a bunny wabbit from a wolf? Couldn't even let that hunter have it's trophy. Not very honourable for a society that values the hunt and the hunter.
The Comanche were terribly disappointing. When i first heard about this film i thought lovely, let's see some badass comanche. They all looked like they were 16. Couldn't take them seriously at all.
If only this film could have been a stand alone movie, Would have much rather seen another Indian tribe as the antogonists which would have been the more likely scenario in that part of the world in 1719. but we can't have a stand alone movie so we got the 'fields of buffalo' skinning french. Thrown in to validate the movie in the predator world with 'the gun'. which means the disney plan all along is on riding the predator into the ground. eek
Don't get me started on the ending ffs.
[close]

Or maybe im just a moany old cynical c*nt who sees people liking something and i have to find flaws in it to piss meself off.
A bog standard movie, shut your brain off... 5/10 

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55073 on: August 17, 2022, 08:16:13 pm »

What was your opinion of the original Predator film?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55074 on: August 17, 2022, 08:27:00 pm »
What was your opinion of the original Predator film?
Yeah it's great but i'm not factoring in that movie when watching Prey. i would have much rather viewed this as a one off film. it wouldn't be fair to compare to two

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55075 on: August 17, 2022, 08:40:00 pm »
Haha fair enough.

Spoiler
oh btw with the helmet weapon, she does see how it works when her brother knocks the helmet off and the projectiles embed themselves in the tree in front of her. But as for getting him to stand in that exact spot in the end is ridiculous.
[close]
Spoiler
why would the helmet even lock onto him? why would the projectiles then enter him? given a minute before we see her try to stab him with his own spear and the thing locks up
[close]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:42:15 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55076 on: August 17, 2022, 09:41:11 pm »
Spoiler
why would the helmet even lock onto him? why would the projectiles then enter him? given a minute before we see her try to stab him with his own spear and the thing locks up
[close]
Spoiler
Seems like the Predator mask fabric cut some corners there.  ;D
[close]

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55077 on: August 17, 2022, 09:47:19 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I dont think his weapons have an anti-friendly-fire system, tho cool interesting concept - we haven't even seen this in more advanced predators in other movies (eg danny glover kills the predator with his own weapon)

she uses the spear when the predator tree jumps and lands by her, missing her with a swipe that imbeds his gauntlet into a tree trunk

naru now uses his spear and he deflects it with his hand-shield but it was on course to hit him, now she goes to use the spear again and it shrinks down - 'locks up' - i assume she inadvertently reduced its size (we know the predator spear has various settings), but after that she stabs him in the leg with it as she wards off his attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhwL9ZDnVy0

so when his auto-targetting system responds to his projectiles and ends him, there is a logic to it equipment wise

as i've said here, i dont like it, i find it too much of a stretch to imbue her with such an expansive intellect, even tho she has shown herself to be smart and a quick study and we saw her witness the fact it is the helmet that targets his projectiles

now Prey is no more guility here than many films/tv where we see humans (or others) quickly and sometimes instantly use completely alien or extremely advanced systems/technologies that they've no right in having a clue about, but still, i wished they'd gone a different way with the killing blow
[close]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:11:22 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55078 on: August 17, 2022, 10:13:04 pm »
 you could over pick at it. probably wouldn't have if i hadn't been exposed to all the hype before it and expectations were so high. it's an alright movie. i don't think it's better than the predators versus the aliens in the pyramids even, which i thought was great.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55079 on: August 17, 2022, 10:24:51 pm »
you could over pick at it. probably wouldn't have if i hadn't been exposed to all the hype before it and expectations were so high. it's an alright movie. i don't think it's better than the predators versus the aliens in the pyramids even, which i thought was great.

i really liked that film, i thought that was going to be the shitshow of all shitshows, and it's probably the most underated predator movie out there

i think the concept of it was enough to put people off (it did me even tho i was aware comics had already done this) and as such were determined to pan it, viewing it as 'all getting a bit silly now'

the story is really solid in why we have the two species here and the ongoing story arc of the movie itself is good

i understand the hype thing, i actually swerved Prey cos i was fed up with poor Predator movies but saw some saying it's not a bad movie, so watched it and loved it - so there wasn't any hype for me above 'it's not a bad movie'
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:28:33 pm by Armand9 »