Author Topic: Things to do in Liverpool for kids  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Things to do in Liverpool for kids
« on: May 31, 2021, 06:57:03 am »
Hi guys,

Going to be in Liverpool in July with my kids, ages 7 and 9. Haven't been for two years, and also haven't stayed for such a long period of time (will be there for a month).

Looking for any and all recommendations of things to do with the kids. They like nature, sports, adventure, arts and crafts, everything really.

Will be based in South Liverpool and will have a car, so anything within an easy 45-minute drive will be great.

:wave
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Things to do in Liverpool for kids
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 08:02:24 am »
Alright Jebediah - Pistyll Rhaeadr (pistol rider) Waterfall in North Wales is really quite marvelous and will take 2 hours from South Liverpool - it's worth the drive.

MerseyRail to Chester, West Kirkby and Southport, if you're near one of the S.Liverpool stations you can leave the car at home for those.

Have a great time

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 08:11:19 am »
Delamere Forest is not too far away by car. Has loads of tracks and is great for taking a bike if your kids are into that.

Also kids love Thurstaston Rock in the Wirral. Great for climbing and its got some nice paths through the woods. As Kavah said, walking out to the islands at West Kirby is also great. Not far from Thurstaston Rock as well.

New Brighton is also decent with a bit of beach and a great view of Liverpool.

My niece is 6 and loves all those.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:33:38 am »
Speke Hall was always great when I was a kid.

Tatton Park isn't too far a drive and there is a bird of prey centre in Knutsford https://gauntletbirdsofprey.co.uk/
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 09:07:50 am »
In Liverpool itself, visit Sefton & Calderstones Park - both in South Liverpool. Journey the full length of Otterspool prom. All free.
Do the LFC Museum tour.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:13:48 am »
Amazing, thanks. Will check out all those suggestions. Those falls look impressive. We live next to some gorgeous nature, but it is getting too hot for nature walks here now (95 degrees today) so looking forward to some cooler weather in the UK.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 09:17:07 am by Jebediah »
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 09:55:11 am »
If you haven't tired them out with walks already, going up Moel Famau from Loggerheads is really nice. It's the highest of the Clwydian range you can see from Liverpool across the river and maybe a two hour drive.

Also going to the beach and walking around in the dunes in Freshfield is nice.

Indoors, maybe the Spring City trampoline park is something for them? It's by the docks in the South end, so not far. If they are into climbing, Awesome walls is a good place to go.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 06:22:00 pm »

If you haven't tired them out with walks already, going up Moel Famau from Loggerheads is really nice. It's the highest of the Clwydian range you can see from Liverpool across the river and maybe a two hour drive.

Also going to the beach and walking around in the dunes in Freshfield is nice.

Indoors, maybe the Spring City trampoline park is something for them? It's by the docks in the South end, so not far. If they are into climbing, Awesome walls is a good place to go.

Kids still talk about Awesome Walls from our trip 2 years ago, so that will definitely be on our list.

Will check out Moel Famau. Might be something me and the Mrs can do without the kids one day. Any other non-technical hikes not too far away for 2 fit adults?

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 06:24:38 pm »
In Liverpool itself, visit Sefton & Calderstones Park - both in South Liverpool. Journey the full length of Otterspool prom. All free.
Do the LFC Museum tour.

I grew up 2 minutes from Caldies park and my parents live on Menlove Avenue, so we will be going there regularly.

How kid-friendly is the LFC museum? My children would obviously love the shop, but not sure about the museum itself.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 06:27:59 pm »

Will check out Moel Famau. Might be something me and the Mrs can do without the kids one day. Any other non-technical hikes not too far away for 2 fit adults?

Depends how much time you have - the Sandstone Trail from Frodsham into Cheshire is a nice walk through the countryside. Never been the whole way, but walking from Frodsham to Delamere and back is a good walk that can be done in less than a day.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 07:04:31 pm »
I grew up 2 minutes from Caldies park and my parents live on Menlove Avenue, so we will be going there regularly.

How kid-friendly is the LFC museum? My children would obviously love the shop, but not sure about the museum itself.

Is the stadium tour running at the moment? Took my son when he was 10 and he loved it. That gave access to the museum afterwards which I probably enjoyed more than he did but I’d still recommend.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 09:03:28 pm »
Chester Zoo, a Blue Planet Aquarium and then Cheshire Oaks Outlet Village for last year's Lacoste :D

Museums in Liverpool are all worth a spin, Mersey Ferry and for a real laugh, drive past Goodison.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 09:34:58 pm »
The museums in Liverpool City centre. The world museum by Lime Street. Then the Maritime Museum on the Albert Dock, and the Museum of Liverpool on the Pier Head. They are all free entry (with the occasional paid special exhibits).

Also the Walker Art Gallery and the Liverpool Tate art galleries.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #13 on: June 1, 2021, 08:14:04 am »
https://brimstagemaze.digitickets.co.uk/tickets - this opens 18 July for the summer

https://www.churchfarmevents.co.uk/farm-park - Near to Thurstaton Country Park, another great place to visit.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2021, 08:16:36 am by Millie »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 1, 2021, 09:49:46 am »
So much to do!!!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15 on: June 1, 2021, 10:00:54 am »
Not sure what the age limits are but they do paddle boarding on Albert Dock. They may have some of the inflatables up by then too.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 2, 2021, 03:05:03 pm »
Not sure what the age limits are but they do paddle boarding on Albert Dock. They may have some of the inflatables up by then too.

That looks great. We have one of the inflatable obstacle courses here (in the warm water), but the kayaking would be amazing.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 08:21:31 pm »
spending a couple of nights in Liverpool next week. booked the kids on the inflatables at the watersports centre then next day going to quirky quarter  which looks mad and interesting.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 01:12:21 pm »
Can anyone recommend a some vegetarian restaurants in Liverpool?
Justice for the 96!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 01:15:14 pm »

Sanskruti is an amazing Indian (best in Liverpool imo).

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 03:35:47 pm »

Maybe ask in the restuarant thread, more people will see it. I did ask the same in there once, but it was a few years ago.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 12:05:37 pm »
Sanskruti like Craig said, or Etsu, which is Japanese. Town isn't actually great for full on vegetarian/vegan restaurants, it's more single cuisine places that have good options.

Anyone tried the Quirky Quarter? My little cousin wants me to take him. Any good? £13.50 for Adults and £8.50 for kids doesn't seem too bad, but if it's one of those things that will be done inside 15 minutes I'd rather not spend that much when Awesome Walls is good bang for buck and I know they love it there.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 02:30:31 pm »
Went to quirky quarter yesterday, highly recommend it. staff are ace and loads of weird stuff and photo opportunities ( need to take phone or camera).
my two lads went on the inflatables at the watersport centre in queens dock, not as big as the one by albert dock but the instructors are good and actually let our group stay on for an hour and 15 mins instead of the 45 mins, chap said they all looked to be having a great time so as last booking let them stay extra. 

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2021, 11:09:51 pm »
Been in Liverpool for 2 days now. Only made it as far as Calderstones park for cricket and football. Will be heading out to check out all the recommended places next week. Thanks again.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2021, 11:21:51 pm »
Been in Liverpool for 2 days now. Only made it as far as Calderstones park for cricket and football. Will be heading out to check out all the recommended places next week. Thanks again.
Enjoy mate, if you'd have said you were in Caldies I'd have come and said hello.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2021, 09:37:48 pm »
I was in Caldies for the first time in 30 years yesterday. Still a fantastic park.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 9, 2021, 04:34:41 pm »
Enjoy mate, if you'd have said you were in Caldies I'd have come and said hello.

Still here. Up in Scotland now (it's pissing down) and back to Liverpool tomorrow. Sure we will get to Caldies again...

Kids have a climbing lesson booked at Awesome Walls on Thursday (we went to the regular kids climbing thing last week and it wasn't challenging enough for my little monkeys), and hoping to go to Crosby beach also.

Thinking of Martin Mere on Friday. Is it worth the money? I have good childhood memories from there, but obviously I wasn't paying then. My son loves nature and bird watching.

So far we had lots of fun at the world museum, Crocky Trail near Chester, and I have been eating all my favourite childhood foods. Happy days.

Top of the wife's list for this week is Primark 🤪

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: August 9, 2021, 04:59:46 pm »
Thinking of Martin Mere on Friday. Is it worth the money? I have good childhood memories from there, but obviously I wasn't paying then. My son loves nature and bird watching.

It's not great imo. You'd be better going to a zoo!

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 9, 2021, 05:34:24 pm »

Cheers. Formby point is the - free - alternative. Stanley park and a drive around Anfield got my vote.

We did a night away last week in Trentham - posh afternoon  tea at the Wedgwood museum to please the wife, Trentham gardens had a fairy hunt which my daughter loved, and my boy loved the monkey forest (https://monkey-forest.com/). Premier inn was only 40 quid.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 9, 2021, 05:42:08 pm »

Safari park?

Also Chester zoo obviously, one of the best in Europe.

Also think it's the right time of the year to watch seals on Hilbre?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #30 on: August 9, 2021, 05:44:17 pm »
Yeah the safari park is good if you've got a car. Chester zoo is excellent too.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 08:05:46 pm »
Yeah the safari park is good if you've got a car. Chester zoo is excellent too.

It'd be an adventure without one 😂
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2021, 10:43:58 pm »
Still here. Up in Scotland now (it's pissing down) and back to Liverpool tomorrow. Sure we will get to Caldies again...

Kids have a climbing lesson booked at Awesome Walls on Thursday (we went to the regular kids climbing thing last week and it wasn't challenging enough for my little monkeys), and hoping to go to Crosby beach also.

So far we had lots of fun at the world museum, Crocky Trail near Chester, and I have been eating all my favourite childhood foods. Happy days.

Top of the wife's list for this week is Primark 🤪

There's a fairly new train route from Lime Street, stopping at Liverpool Parkway (previously known as Allerton Station) that takes a scenic route to Chester over the Mersey at Widnes and through Frodsham and Helsby. 

And there's a Primark in Chester. ;D

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2021, 09:53:42 pm »
There's a fairly new train route from Lime Street, stopping at Liverpool Parkway (previously known as Allerton Station) that takes a scenic route to Chester over the Mersey at Widnes and through Frodsham and Helsby. 

And there's a Primark in Chester. ;D

We are off to Crosby Beach tomorrow on the train from Liverpool Parkway.

Am really interested in the Hilbre Island on Saturday or Sunday. Any advice?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2021, 10:01:29 pm »

Watch out for the incoming tide!

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2021, 11:15:52 pm »

Marigolds fish and chip shop in west Kirby
Believer

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2021, 11:32:48 pm »

Make sure you all wear shoes/wellies, there's weaver fish that bury themselves in the sand when the tide goes out with poisonous spikes along their spine.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2021, 07:52:57 am »

Make sure you check the tide information on the board by the entrance to the beach (the entrance nearest to Morrisons).  It gives you the safe times to walk over to the island and back again.

also available here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast-and-sea/tide-tables/5/461
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:55:50 am by Millie »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2021, 08:18:07 am »

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2021, 08:15:56 am »
Brilliant, thanks.

We were 5 hours down at Crosby beach (and sand dunes, and park) and the kids never even asked to go to the funfair. That's a success in my book!